Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Ghost Stories

• Start Topic

Tandy and Melissa prepare to commemorate the 8th anniversary of Nathan’s passing with their annual memorial tradition. When Tandy gets a key piece of information regarding her father, she uses this day to try and finally clear her father’s name. Meanwhile, Tyrone’s parents prefer not to mark the day Billy passed, but Tyrone’s need to keep Billy’s memory alive causes conflict among the three. Deciding today is the day he gets a confession out of Det. Connors, Tyrone goes to Det. O’Reilly for help.

Tried to fake us out with the happy ending but we all know there's two episodes left, so we get Tandy's dad being a wife-beater and O'Reilly's boyfriend literally getting fridged. (Yeah, show. We saw what you did there.)

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Tried to fake us out with the happy ending but we all know there's two episodes left, so we get Tandy's dad being a wife-beater and O'Reilly's boyfriend literally getting fridged. (Yeah, show. We saw what you did there.)

Lol... I enjoyed that tandy is gonna be tandy.. Equal parts goody/dirtbag... Showing up to steal from ty's mom.. But genuinely caring how he's doing on the big day... Did not see other cop getting "fridged"..tho I guess it makes sense.. Can't have too many ppl knowing his secret.. I'm glad they gave the shout-out to Misty Knight... Tho I kinda figged she would've name-dropped Luke Cage... But maybe if she gets a scene with both of them.. She can kinda go in depth as to why seeing ty( and I assume tandy pretty soon)  doing what he can didn't really faze her

I didn't see the cop boyfriend getting fridged. I guess I should've since Ty revealed his powers to him. O'Reilly I know wouldn't care since she's from a city with a bullet proof man, a man that dressed like a devil and a dumb guy with a glowing fist. I'm guessing she'll find out about Tandy soon as well.  I wonder if they will go with the comics with her. 

Did we know that Ty's mom worked for Roxxan? How'd that guy get out of a building falling down on him? 

It was interesting to see the families before the tragedy and after when Ty's parents don't want to think about while Tandy's mom has a memorial for her husband every year even though he hit her. I liked seeing that Ty got to honor his brother with someone. Although I don't know why O'Reilly and him thought it would be that easy. Connors was obviously not working alone and wasn't the leader.  

1 hour ago, UNOSEZ said:

Did not see other cop getting "fridged"..tho I guess it makes sense.. Can't have too many ppl knowing his secret..

Which secret?  Whose secret?  Who do you think killed him?

1 hour ago, sisterspoon said:

Which secret?  Whose secret?  Who do you think killed him?

Ty's teleportation powers, But by all he saw you could just assume Ty had magician's skills, not inhuman super powers. The killer would probably be the big bad who had covered up scar faced Connors accidental killing years ago.

• Love 1

K I don't know whether to be impressed that they did a good job building up to that reveal about the dad or roll my eyes at the drunk promiscuis mom being a beaten house wife.  I'll choose both I reckon.

It was definitely fun watching Ty use his powers to haunt the detective.  

So now we're into act III. Shits going to hit the fan, Tandy just absolved roxxon , the cops know about Tyrone It's on.

Are they afraid to say Luke Cage? Why would she mention Misty in that instant?

4 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Did we know that Ty's mom worked for Roxxan?

Yea, she's their PR person. Every time she's on the phone, that's who we see her talking to.

4 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Although I don't know why O'Reilly and him thought it would be that easy. Connors was obviously not working alone and wasn't the leader.  

He's a naïve kid , I get why he thought that would work. She's worked around Cottonmouth and Mariah, she has no excuse.

• Love 1

I knew the boyfriend cop was a goner as soon as O'Rielly committed.  I mean, it was likely since he learned about Ty.  But there are two episodes left.  Ain't nobody getting to be happy.

Poor Tandy.  The hits just keep coming for that kid. 

5 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

I enjoyed that tandy is gonna be tandy.. Equal parts goody/dirtbag... Showing up to steal from ty's mom.. But genuinely caring how he's doing on the big day... 

So much this.  She  genuinely cares, but she also has goals.  

Glad Connors was arrested, but it there are two episodes left... Sorry, Ty.

11 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

Did not see other cop getting "fridged"..tho I guess it makes sense..

10 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

I didn't see the cop boyfriend getting fridged.

Oh come on. Really? With the girlfriend pancakes and the "I'll tell you later"? They practically put up a sign. ? Like I couldn't even feel sorry about him because hey telegraphed it so loudly. 

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, ursula said:

Oh come on. Really? With the girlfriend pancakes and the "I'll tell you later"? They practically put up a sign. ? Like I couldn't even feel sorry about him because hey telegraphed it so loudly. 

Lol.. In hindsight it really was obvious.. I guess I didn't think he was important enough to wonder about... And because I was doing some dvr cleanup... I actually read the info fir nxt week's episode like two days ago so I knew something bad was going to happen during this epi.. And up until she walked into the apartment.. It never crossed my mind that he would be killed

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm the same I didn't think of him as an important enough character to give much thought too. When she walked into the apartment I knew he was dead. Lol. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

Is anybody upset that Tandy came to Tyrone's house to steal his mother's badge under the pretext of caring about Tyrone's dead brother. If Roxxon Corp. is as bad as Tandy thinks it is, she could have gotten Tyrone's mother killed because they think she is helping Tandy. Tandy could have easily cut her way in through a side door with her dagger without compromising innocent people. I wonder if Scarface Cop got a super power as well, he was as close as Tyrone and Tandy were to the Roxxon Rig explosion. Maybe the Voodoo Lady was talking about Tyrone and the Scarface Cop when she was talking about the fate of New Orleans and one has to die.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

Is anybody upset that Tandy came to Tyrone's house to steal his mother's badge under the pretext of caring about Tyrone's dead brother. If Roxxon Corp. is as bad as Tandy thinks it is, she could have gotten Tyrone's mother killed because they think she is helping Tandy. Tandy could have easily cut her way in through a side door with her dagger without compromising innocent people. I wonder if Scarface Cop got a super power as well, he was as close as Tyrone and Tandy were to the Roxxon Rig explosion. Maybe the Voodoo Lady was talking about Tyrone and the Scarface Cop when she was talking about the fate of New Orleans and one has to die.

Like I posted earlier.. That's just tandy... I wholeheartedly believe she meant it when she said she was checking in on Tyrone.. She genuinely cares about him.. That's why she invited him to the swamp with her mom... But shes also gonna use every opportunity in front of her.. And like her exchange with mina.. Sometimes(based on the way her life has gone since her pops died)  the truth.. Or just generally the right way of doing things.. Doesn't immediately occur to her.... Speaking on Connors... I think ty and tandy got their powers in the water...  Connors was on the pier

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Oscirus said:

Are they afraid to say Luke Cage? Why would she mention Misty in that instant?

There might be legal issues with Netflix regarding the mentioning of the Luke Cage name. O'Reilly mentioned Misty because she was explaining Ty's powers are not unfamiliar or out of the realm of possibilities. She just asked Fuchs if she ever told him about her friend "Misty". I don't know how long O'Reilly and Fuchs have been together, in fact, I don't even remember when he came on the scene.

3 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

I think ty and tandy got their powers in the water... 

Tyrone definitely wasn't in the water when the explosion happened, the explosion caused the cop to shoot his brother who then fell into the water causing Tyrone to jump in after him. It is possible that you might need to be in the water to soak up the power. Tyrone's brother and Tandy's father were also in the water and probably not dead yet, they didn't receive super powers.

It looked like the powers came from a second wave from the explosion. Ty and Tandy were in the water for a bit before the dark and light powers activated. The brother and father were dead by then. 

I think in Agent Carter the zero matter had to be soaked in for awhile before the characters on that show got powers from it. 

5 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

Like I posted earlier.. That's just tandy... I wholeheartedly believe she meant it when she said she was checking in on Tyrone.. She genuinely cares about him.. That's why she invited him to the swamp with her mom... But shes also gonna use every opportunity in front of her.. And like her exchange with mina.. Sometimes(based on the way her life has gone since her pops died)  the truth.. Or just generally the right way of doing things.. Doesn't immediately occur to her.... Speaking on Connors... I think ty and tandy got their powers in the water...  Connors was on the pier

It seems like an hour after her father died. Little ballerina  Tandy just snatches a phone.

This may cause a bit of disturbance with some, but I don't buy Tandy idolizing her father fo years and from appearances, he treated her like a true loving father, but for her to catch a glimpse of her father striking her mother once because she spilled some liquid on his papers and from that change her tune and decide that she didn't want to salvage his reputation and so decided to accept the money; I just don't buy it.  I could see being angry and disappointed but to change her goals and direction seems specious. Please note, I'm not exonerating her father's behaviour, I just don't follow the logic of the action-reaction.  What her father did, doesn't change the fact that Roxxon ruined his reputation and was the cause of her family's destitution.

I did like the fact that the parents of each of the duo met the most important person in their child's life.  Hate the possibility that Tandy may have used the excuse of Billy's death to steal Ty's mother's ID.  I just don't like that implication, I know it's standard MO for Tandy, but some things should be sacred.  You just don't visit your only friend on the anniversary of his brother's death only to steal his mother's ID.  I realize it may not have been her sole purpose for the visit, but it diminishes my regard for her.

6 hours ago, Raja said:

11 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

It seems like an hour after her father died. Little ballerina  Tandy just snatches a phone.

See, these are the things that would help us understand Tandy Bowen.  I feel that I have an adequate understanding of why Tyrone is the way he is.  He's considerate, tries to do the right thing BECAUSE it's the right thing, His brother watched over him and was always an excellent example of how to be a good human being.  His mom, made sure that both boys grew up as good people and it shows. Tandy, on the other hand, the show is doing a poor job of showing us why she does these questionable things.  What got her into this need to lie and steal.  How did she get started with the Rich Guy con with her boyfriend?  Why does she feel the need to manipulate people, especially Tyrone, who has done NOTHING to hurt Tandy.  I accept that she's like that but WHY is she like that?  The show hasn't done enough to help me understand her personality.  Yes, her mother is an alcoholic/druggie who has had a hard life since her husband was killed, but how has that affected Tandy.  It's not enough to say that it has, the show needs to provide examples of how she has come to be this person of questionable character.  It's important to me, if I'm going to cheer for her that I actually like her.  I actually, like Tyrone and want him to succeed, I'm not 100% in Tandy's corner and so far, her "super-hero" cred is lacking.  She's a smart girl and is very perceptive, then why doesn't she see that Tyrone is her friend, her only friend, and she should do anything that would benefit him NOT her.  Yes, she was considerate enough to see that he could use some cheering up and perhaps mourn his brother, so she invited him along, but to me, it should be emphasized not shown as a spur-of-the-moment fleeting thought. Tyrone seems to be very considerate of Tandy's welfare, and the show doesn't hesitate to show this, and we understand that it's in his nature. What made Tandy the way she is?  Lip-service of how hard she had it isn't enough.  Tandy WAS perceptive enough to speak up at the memorial rather than watch Tyrone struggle with something to say in memory of his brother.  She was considerate then, why doesn't the show better examine these moments and focus on her face a bit.  I believe her acting is up to the challenge to show consideration facially.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

Tyrone definitely wasn't in the water when the explosion happened, the explosion caused the cop to shoot his brother who then fell into the water causing Tyrone to jump in after him. It is possible that you might need to be in the water to soak up the power. Tyrone's brother and Tandy's father were also in the water and probably not dead yet, they didn't receive super powers.

At about 2:14 you see the second explosion that gave them their powers, their powers likely remained dormant until they activated each other at that party where they met again.

41 minutes ago, Jacks-Son said:

This may cause a bit of disturbance with some, but I don't buy Tandy idolizing her father fo years and from appearances, he treated her like a true loving father, but for her to catch a glimpse of her father striking her mother once because she spilled some liquid on his papers and from that change her tune and decide that she didn't want to salvage his reputation and so decided to accept the money; I just don't buy it.  I could see being angry and disappointed but to change her goals and direction seems specious. Please note, I'm not exonerating her father's behaviour, I just don't follow the logic of the action-reaction.  What her father did, doesn't change the fact that Roxxon ruined his reputation and was the cause of her family's destitution.

I did like the fact that the parents of each of the duo met the most important person in their child's life.  Hate the possibility that Tandy may have used the excuse of Billy's death to steal Ty's mother's ID.  I just don't like that implication, I know it's standard MO for Tandy, but some things should be sacred.  You just don't visit your only friend on the anniversary of his brother's death only to steal his mother's ID.  I realize it may not have been her sole purpose for the visit, but it diminishes my regard for her

I'm ultimately on the fence about Tandy. You can see where her mother raised her to look out for number one and not to form relationships, however at the same time Tyrone's going out of his way to bond with her for her to continually use him makes for a tough watch. Doesn't make her as likeable or sympathetic as I'd like.

Her reaction to her image of her father being broke, kind of rings true. Here she's deifying him and she sees something like that and if he's capable of beating her mother, what other heinor secrets are in his past ( Roxxon boss even hinted at it)?

I'm surprised there isn't more talk about the foreshadowing of Tyrones death/ self-sacrafice. 

I had a secondary thought with regard to Tandy's shady personality; perhaps this is baseline Tandy and part of her story is growth from that selfish inconsiderate partner into a fully fleshed out friend who has been infected with Tyrone's regard for others.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

I did like the fact that the parents of each of the duo met the most important person in their child's life.  Hate the possibility that Tandy may have used the excuse of Billy's death to steal Ty's mother's ID.  I just don't like that implication, I know it's standard MO for Tandy, but some things should be sacred.  You just don't visit your only friend on the anniversary of his brother's death only to steal his mother's ID.  I realize it may not have been her sole purpose for the visit, but it diminishes my regard for her.

See, these are the things that would help us understand Tandy Bowen.  I feel that I have an adequate understanding of why Tyrone is the way he is.  He's considerate, tries to do the right thing BECAUSE it's the right thing, His brother watched over him and was always an excellent example of how to be a good human being.  His mom, made sure that both boys grew up as good people and it shows. Tandy, on the other hand, the show is doing a poor job of showing us why she does these questionable things.  What got her into this need to lie and steal.  How did she get started with the Rich Guy con with her boyfriend?  Why does she feel the need to manipulate people, especially Tyrone, who has done NOTHING to hurt Tandy.  I accept that she's like that but WHY is she like that?  The show hasn't done enough to help me understand her personality.  Yes, her mother is an alcoholic/druggie who has had a hard life since her husband was killed, but how has that affected Tandy.  It's not enough to say that it has, the show needs to provide examples of how she has come to be this person of questionable character.  It's important to me, if I'm going to cheer for her that I actually like her.  I actually, like Tyrone and want him to succeed, I'm not 100% in Tandy's corner and so far, her "super-hero" cred is lacking.  She's a smart girl and is very perceptive, then why doesn't she see that Tyrone is her friend, her only friend, and she should do anything that would benefit him NOT her.  Yes, she was considerate enough to see that he could use some cheering up and perhaps mourn his brother, so she invited him along, but to me, it should be emphasized not shown as a spur-of-the-moment fleeting thought. Tyrone seems to be very considerate of Tandy's welfare, and the show doesn't hesitate to show this, and we understand that it's in his nature. What made Tandy the way she is?  Lip-service of how hard she had it isn't enough.  Tandy WAS perceptive enough to speak up at the memorial rather than watch Tyrone struggle with something to say in memory of his brother.  She was considerate then, why doesn't the show better examine these moments and focus on her face a bit.  I believe her acting is up to the challenge to show consideration facially.

Her motivations are she's a survivor. She grew up having to take care of herself and her mother. As much as I might not like her treatment of Tyrone I get why she does it. Poor woman doesn't know how to have friends. She's grown up in a world where everybody wants something from you and the only way to get what you want is to take it. While admittedly, this makes her hard to identify with, character wise it makes sense.  She's just learning how to be a friend, it takes time, won't happen over night.

• Love 8

So, after eight episodes, I think the two leads have good chemistry and the show comes alive when they're in scenes together, and hopefully the writers are figuring that out now, because I think it took too long to put them together. There's only two episodes left in the season and it's just now starting to really gel for me.

It was until episode 7 that they teamed up as a duo, and that really should have happened around episode 3, imo. Seeing them wander around on their own or interacting with these extraneous side characters is nowhere near as interesting as them finally coming together as a pair. I think THAT's the show.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, FishyJoe said:

I thought for sure the cop in the fridge was dirty and the tape would be blank. It kind of threw me for a loop when he showed up dead. 

That's what I thought, too! I figured that since they were making it so obvious that he was too good to be true and was going to die - that it had to be a feint and the real twist was that he was not a good guy, but Connors's partner all along.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, ursula said:

That's what I thought, too! I figured that since they were making it so obvious that he was too good to be true and was going to die - that it had to be a feint and the real twist was that he was not a good guy, but Connors's partner all along.

This ^^ or death, I assumed when I was watching the episode. 

Tandy was used to looking after herself from the beginning, before her dad died. She calmly called for her dad when her mum didn't pick her up and wasn't at all panicked. Her dad was swerving around driving in the rain without regard for Tandy who was clearly terrified. She pulled Tyrone's hoodie from under him on the beach and left him there unconscious. Sometimes learning to survive at a young age means not taking into consideration the needs of others. I like the idea that Tyrone is going to change this.

• Love 7
On 7/19/2018 at 6:21 PM, UNOSEZ said:

Lol... I enjoyed that tandy is gonna be tandy.. Equal parts goody/dirtbag... Showing up to steal from ty's mom.. But genuinely caring how he's doing on the big day...

On 7/20/2018 at 1:49 PM, Jacks-Son said:

See, these are the things that would help us understand Tandy Bowen. 

I love Tandy. She is a legit badass who knows how to get shit done. However, there's a reason my nick-name for her is Lying Sack of Crap.

She's still my favorite character, though.

• Love 5

As soon as he said girlfriend pancakes, I said you in trouble, boy.

So, did Tandy get Tyrone's Mom a death wish from Roxxxon?

I totally thought Scarborough took out Hess. I was glad it cut to Tandy giving him flowers.

Dirtbag with a heart of gold that Tandy.

On 7/20/2018 at 2:19 PM, Jacks-Son said:

There might be legal issues with Netflix regarding the mentioning of the Luke Cage name. O'Reilly mentioned Misty because she was explaining Ty's powers are not unfamiliar or out of the realm of possibilities. She just asked Fuchs if she ever told him about her friend "Misty". I don't know how long O'Reilly and Fuchs have been together, in fact, I don't even remember when he came on the scene.

She would have mentioned Misty because they were friends who worked together in NY.

I think the cop boyfriend first appeared in episode 2? She was hooking up with him in the back seat of a car. 

(edited)

Yeah, Tandy showing up at Tys house to be supportive while also stealing his moms ID is pretty classic Tandy from everything we have seen so far. Going back to her first stealing a phone when she got out of the car as a kid to call home. Tandy is a hustler with a heart of gold. Well, some kind of bronze anyway. 

I dont know if I buy that Tandys dad was secretly abusive, and that he and her mom had just hidden it from Tandy, and it never came up in all the times her mom has been boozing around her trailer park. I dont really know what the point is from a story standpoint anyway, besides to kind of cheapen the emotions of Tandys grief, or to make us feel worse for Tandys mom? I would buy Tandy just taking the money, without having to find out her dad was an asshole. She and her mom need the money, and she is very much a survivor, so I can see it. 

Cop boyfriend literally got fridged! That is cold...pun intended. 

Luke Cage reference! Because, well, in the MCU, a kid having powers to turn into shadows is like finding a white squirrel in Arizona. Its weird enough to comment on, but not unheard of enough that it causes any real shock. I mean, the plan was pretty questionable, especially because Connors clearly isnt the top guy in the corrupt cop totem pole. Someone who tangled with the likes of Mariah and Cottonmouth should know that. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 2

Tyrone can teleport vertically as well as horizontally?  That’s handy. So, It’s not like teleporting in “Jumper” or the new series “Impulse” where you have to know what the place looks like before you can go there?

6 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

Tyrone can teleport vertically as well as horizontally?  That’s handy. So, It’s not like teleporting in “Jumper” or the new series “Impulse” where you have to know what the place looks like before you can go there?

Before he gained control Ty teleported to random locations, like to Tandy and to locations where it seemed as if a supernatural hand of God pushed him to what he needed to see. When "jumping" from bullets fired at him we didn't see a landing point, it was almost as if he started to go and stopped the transport to reappear before the scare faced cop. How he knew to jump at the crucial moment as the trigger was squeezed is another nod to some supernatural protection to go along with Evita and her aunt's role