Type keyword(s) to search

The Incredible Dr. Pol - General Discussion

• Start Topic

How sad.    Adam James Butch, Jan and Diane's grandson died on Wednesday, Sept. 18th.   His mother is Kathleen Pol, I think she's the sister we never see on camera.   He was only 23.   

I saw the memorial screen on the end of tonight's episode.  

I wonder if he's the grandson that helped Dr. Pol on an older episode they reran this week?    

26 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

How sad.    Adam James Butch, Jan and Diane's grandson died on Wednesday, Sept. 18th.   His mother is Kathleen Pol, I think she's the sister we never see on camera.   He was only 23.   

I saw the memorial screen on the end of tonight's episode.  

I wonder if he's the grandson that helped Dr. Pol on an older episode they reran this week?    

Yeah, he would have to be the grandson who was on the show. I read his obituary and didn’t see a cause of death. My condolences to his family (his poor mother is a widow). 😓

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

Yeah, he would have to be the grandson who was on the show. I read his obituary and didn’t see a cause of death my condolences to his family (his poor mother is a widow). 😓

His dad died just a couple years ago at age 50.

Adam was a good looking  boy. Beautiful eyes. His sister was on the show a couple times also. 

• Love 2

I only saw a few minutes here and there because I was watching football the rest of the time, so I didn't see the notice about their grandson's death.  How sad, especially to be announced at the end of an episode that showed how happy Diane and Dr. Pol were at the news of another grandchild on the way.  I feel terrible for his mom, to have lost her husband young and now just a couple years later to lose her 23-year-old son as well!

In addition to Diane getting the ultrasound photo, the other thing I saw was the piglets being pulled, and one getting some dextrose to perk up and then getting right with the program and nursing.  I love the grunt the pig gave when told she's a good mom.  I also love zeroing in on a piglet falling over on its back as we hear how cute piglets are; indeed.

• Love 2

Watching a rerun, I had some interruptions, so I never did wind up properly watching the whole episode, but I like Dr. Emily not abiding Hula's owner's "Oh, she doesn't eat that much" claim by immediately responding, "She probably doesn't do much, either".  Pets differ just like we do, but absent a hormonal condition, your dog doesn't get to be that size if you're doing everything right with diet and exercise.  But it was also nice that she acknowledged it's hard to get weight off of dogs you can't exercise too much.  Hula has an adorable face, and I was hoping for an update on how they were doing managing her heart condition. 

The story of Benny, the cat who got shot, pissed me right off.  Yes, the owners subject him to risks when letting him out, and my feelings on if and, if so, how, a cat should have outdoor access are nuanced because they're based on a cat- and environment-specific combination of factors; it's a pretty narrow window where it's safe enough to be worth it, so, while I don't know these people took unreasonable risk, I suspect yes.  But where my ire has no nuance is with those who think it's perfectly okay to SHOOT A CAT because, what, he crossed the property line? 

Pushing the uterus back into that poor prolapsed cow was hard to watch.  Adorable calf, though.  I'd never make it on a farm.

I couldn't see shit on that ultrasound, either.  Yeah, a doctor should be better, but it's on a little phone screen. 

Very sad to see the in memoriam screen for the grandson.

• Love 2

Using sugar on the prolapsed uterus made me smile because Dr. Heriott talked about doing that in the 40s in All Creatures Great and Small. That the farmer even had an entire bucket of it on hand was interesting.

The various animals with prolapses don't seem to be in a lot of pain from it, which always amazes me. I mean, their insides are out! Also odd is that uterus or rectum goes back into the body spattered with dirt, hay, bits of feces, etc. Antibiotics or not, just stitch it back in and we're good to go! Jeepers.

It's surprising that the cat who was shot even managed to make it home with all those broken bones. Poor sweet thing; never a hiss or yowl out of him. I can't help but think that some of the dedicated vet hospitals, or even Dr. Petra, could have operated to save the second leg, but it's very realistic for that not to be an option for a lot of pet owners, given distance and cost. 

Now that women make up more than than 80% of new vets, I wonder how many will want to go into large animal practice and if it's going to be harder and harder for farmers to get care for their livestock. We know a lot of urban vets won't even treat hamsters, snakes, mini pigs, etc. in their clinics.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, 2727 said:

It's surprising that the cat who was shot even managed to make it home with all those broken bones. Poor sweet thing; never a hiss or yowl out of him. I can't help but think that some of the dedicated vet hospitals, or even Dr. Petra, could have operated to save the second leg, but it's very realistic for that not to be an option for a lot of pet owners, given distance and cost. 

That was heartbreaking.  The monster who shot that cat should be shot.  The same thought crossed my mind about Dr. Petra - I was surprised they didn't get a second opinion from an orthopedic surgeon, but the owners probably couldn't afford it, even if one leg was salvageable.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, 2727 said:

Now that women make up more than than 80% of new vets, I wonder how many will want to go into large animal practice and if it's going to be harder and harder for farmers to get care for their livestock. We know a lot of urban vets won't even treat hamsters, snakes, mini pigs, etc. in their clinics.

Good question. I know one woman vet who has a large animal practice and teaches at veterinary school part time. She also farms large animals so it is in her wheel house. I must ask her how many women go into large animal practices.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, 2727 said:

My alma mater, Texas Tech University, will be opening a large animal vet school in Amarillo, Texas in 2021 so it should relieve some of the shortage of large animal vets in practice in the next 6-7 years. 

We raise Quarter horses and it is very hard to find very good performance horse vets around Texas, Oklahoma or Louisiana. We have a great vet at the track near Dallas and he is worth the long drive through Dalas traffic to give the best treatment but he will be retiring soon so who will fill his shoes? Sigh.

• Love 2
On Monday, September 23, 2019 at 9:52 PM, Raiderred said:

We raise Quarter horses and it is very hard to find very good performance horse vets

Yes, you want a good vet and a good farrier. I appreciate that Dr. Pol does the large animal work, and he does have several women vets doing large animal work.

The prolapses, "we'll just shove the uterus back in." Ouch.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Beth and Charles had a baby girl last week.   Her name is Abigail.      I'm so happy for them, and the rest of the Pol family.

That’s great! The Pols need some joy after their recent tragedy.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Beth and Charles had a baby girl last week.   Her name is Abigail.      I'm so happy for them, and the rest of the Pol family.

Here's  an 📣📣 announcement with a few pix 👍

Oh, and at bottom of article is statement that next season will begin airing in January - and that the new Disney streaming service will air earlh seasons beginning next month

• Love 3
On 7/9/2018 at 2:31 PM, Bastet said:

Same with a rerun during the recent marathon where a woman brought in her cat who hadn't eaten in "three or four days" - I started grumbling at her about hepatic lipidosis.  I'm glad when they show stories like that, educating the audience.  Cats are in danger if they go too long without eating.  Hyperthermia has to be treated gradually, or you'll cause further harm.  As evidenced by the cat's owner and the good samaritan who tried to help the dog, there are people out there who love animals, yet do not know these basics.  So that means there are people in the audience like that, and now they've learned something.

I know this is an older post, but I have to chime in about this(also I've been binging on Dr. Pol's show on Disney+).

My 13-year-old cat died 3 weeks ago from complications due to hepatic lipidosis and pancreatitis, and with all due respect, I consider myself a fairly educated cat owner and I still had never heard of hepatic lipidosis. If that's supposed to be 'common' knowledge among cat owners, then I guess neither I nor all my friends who own cats are very smart. I don't think knowing about hepatic lipidosis is 'basic' knowledge. Heck, even my own veterinarian wasn't considering that as a diagnosis and didn't convey that the situation was life-threatening with my cat, and I sure wish she had because I would have rushed my cat to the emergency vet even sooner. She survived 12 days of tube feeding before ultimately succumbing, but I know that I have a lot of compassion for some owners on these vet shows that 'should' know better but don't. You know what people with dead pets don't need? More guilt about what they shoulda, coulda, woulda done, "if only". 

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

You know what people with dead pets don't need? More guilt about what they shoulda, coulda, woulda done, "if only". 

Your fresh grief is causing you to project onto my words a blaming that isn't there; I said these are things some loving owners - on the show and in the audience - don't know, so it's educational for the stories to be shown.  Even though you are upset by my post and thus may not want them, I offer my condolences on the loss of your cat. 

Thank you. What I was trying to convey is that you don't need to 'grumble' at anyone about illnesses like hepatic lipidosis. Or like most cat-related illnesses. It came off as very judgmental. It's not like they whine and whimper loudly through most pain, which is why well-meaning owners come in 'too late'. So, it's just good to be mindful of that. Most people who find out about what it is do so because they have to deal with it. 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

It came off as very judgmental.

It wasn't; it was about how I watch the show, and the educational value I find in those types of stories (by which I mean the ones where an owner/good samaritan didn't know what was going on or what to do).

Edited by Bastet

To answer previous questions there are plenty of people (even women) who want to pursue large animal medicine. It’s just a very poor paying specialty/prospective field. So for veterinarians with large debt:income ratios as is, it’s hard to start a family and pay this debt with that kind of salary.

Not to mention some men are actually pretty rude and condescending to female LA veterinarians. 

I understand that it could, especially by someone in your situation.  I find few things in life more disingenuous than sorry if you were offended by something I said "apologies", so I do not offer them.  But even though I don't have anything to apologize for, I agree it's always good to be mindful of how we express ourselves, and I appreciate this dialogue.  I wish you a good night as well.

And I'm glad this show is recently available on streaming, since it's proving soothing to you during this terrible time.  (It's good that in just a couple of months, there will be new episodes as well.)  I latched onto Pit Bulls & Parolees as a source of comfort in the wake of my cat's death several years ago.  It's wonderful when a TV show can serve an unintended purpose like that. 

I've watched parts of episodes here and there during the marathon, and it has been a good "oh boy, I have to gear up for this" reminder.  Some of these farmers', owners', and vets' actions ... I do a good bit more communicating through my TV than I do with Dr. Jeff or The Vet Life, yet I keep tuning in, because at least most have their hearts in the right place.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, Bastet said:

I've watched parts of episodes here and there during the marathon, and it has been a good "oh boy, I have to gear up for this" reminder.  Some of these farmers', owners', and vets' actions ... I do a good bit more communicating through my TV than I do with Dr. Jeff or The Vet Life, yet I keep tuning in, because at least most have their hearts in the right place.

For sure.  The castrations on the first "Night of Pol" marathon struck me after a season of Michelle Oakley (who is my favorite).  No anesthesia, just the emasculator and snip!  All over.  I get it, this' the way they've done it on the farm for a very long time, but it still seemed cruel compared to all the care that other TV vets take.

• Love 4

The network is really jamming the new series down our throats. Looks like they are dumping these old/new episodes as part of that campaign.

I can't stand Charles' "bits." I understand he packaged the show for the network, but I don't want to watch him unless it's working in the field. He's kind of weird.

I find Pol a bit arrogant and domineering, and he's unnecessarily rough with the farm animals, so I watch for Brenda and the now-departed Emily. I love how skilled and reliable Brenda is - she keeps her head down, doesn't seek the limelight, and just gets on with helping animals in need.

Have we ever seen a male vet student?

Anyone else wonder what will happen to the practice after Pol retires? I wonder if Brenda will try to buy it. Or perhaps Charles will be a non-vet owner.

I wonder if the Pols donate money to animal causes.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

The network is really jamming the new series down our throats. Looks like they are dumping these old/new episodes as part of that campaign.

I can't stand Charles' "bits." I understand he packaged the show for the network, but I don't want to watch him unless it's working in the field. He's kind of weird.

I agree.  I fast forward through a lot of that stuff.  I do the same with The Vet Life.  Too much life, not enough vet 😉

Interesting your question about the lack of other male vets in the show.  I've wondered about that before.  Emily's husband was the only other man working in the practice (besides Charles).  

• Love 1

A new vet show coming in 2020 "Heartland Vets."  Hope it is about vet work.  Dr. Theilen's new show is good if she wouldn't do that baby talk stuff.

19 hours ago, smittykins said:

He’s said that one of the reasons he’s put off retirement is that there aren’t many large-animal vets in the area anymore.  I’ve also wondered if Brenda would take over.

There may come a time when he stops making farm calls just due to safety issues if nothing else.  Or at least make it a 2 vet visit.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Rammchick said:

I agree.  I fast forward through a lot of that stuff.  I do the same with The Vet Life.  Too much life, not enough vet 😉

Interesting your question about the lack of other male vets in the show.  I've wondered about that before.  Emily's husband was the only other man working in the practice (besides Charles).  

Recently ran across article saying this season's new vet will be a male. He may or may not be there long term, as the article mentions he was looking for a position in warmer climate. When you check the Pol Veterinary Services site there's also a Dr Lisa Jones that I don't recall seeing. Not sure how accurate the site is, as it still lists Dr Emily. Guessing the producers want to wait and break the news that she left on air. (Also, at least some rumors had her leaving because of a disagreement with Dr Pol.) Pretty well a given now that she has moved to a new job in Virginia. (If you scroll down on the staff you see husband also working at new clinic.)

• Love 1

My suspicion is the reason we're seeing so many new vet shows, and zoo shows is because NatGeoWild is worried that Dr Pol will retire, and the other vets in his practice simply aren't the central character.    I love seeing the other vets on the show, but without the Pols being central to the show, I don't see it lasting.    I love Dr. Brenda, and the other vets, but I wonder if the show would last without the Pols.    I'm sure if Dr. Pol retires, that Diane will too, and I wonder if Charles can keep the filming going.   

I bet that a lot of large animal practices will lose vets to the Texas Tech, large animal centered vet school that's opening in a couple of years.     So with a few years of large animal experience, a vet could probably get an instructor post there.    

I think Dr. Emily left because of the hideous weather for farm calls, the super long hours, and the physical danger.    Now she's at a high tech clinic, small animal centered, with a lot of vets.   I bet she's on call a very limited amount of time per month.   Now she goes to work or surgery at main office, and that's it.      The bad thing is that I think her Michigan place is still languishing on the market, not a big demand area for homes, because of the low number of jobs in the area.       I think the job Dr. Emily left because of conditions was the previous one to the job at PVS.      I hope she sells her Michigan house, and enjoys the new practice in Virginia.   Front Royal is one of the most beautiful places in Virginia, and that's saying a lot because of all of the beautiful scenery there.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

My suspicion is the reason we're seeing so many new vet shows, and zoo shows is because NatGeoWild is worried that Dr Pol will retire, and the other vets in his practice simply aren't the central character.    I love seeing the other vets on the show, but without the Pols being central to the show, I don't see it lasting.    I love Dr. Brenda, and the other vets, but I wonder if the show would last without the Pols.    I'm sure if Dr. Pol retires, that Diane will too, and I wonder if Charles can keep the filming going.

I, too, doubt the show would go on without Dr Pol - though I can't see him retiring. I have read that Dr Brenda sometimes doesn't appreciate filming, saying it interferes with taking care of the animals. Actually, I think Brenda would be my choice as a vet and would be the most interesting person away from the show. Anybody with pet oxen sounds interesting to me LOL. Dr Nicole may develope, but for now not a favorite of mine.

I think Dr. Emily left because of the hideous weather for farm calls, the super long hours, and the physical danger.    Now she's at a high tech clinic, small animal centered, with a lot of vets.   I bet she's on call a very limited amount of time per month.   Now she goes to work or surgery at main office, and that's it.

Dr Emily really evolved a good tv presence, easily my favorite, so I will definitely miss her. I agree that the long hours, farm calls, and Michigan winters may have caused her to move on, especially with three youngsters. Remember the very pregnant Georgia girl making farm calls in freezing Michigan weather? 

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, SRTouch said:

(Also, at least some rumors had her leaving because of a disagreement with Dr Pol.)

I can easily imagine that being true (I like the show, but I'm also quite sure I wouldn't work for him), but I can also see it being a matter of wanting not to be on call and/or doing so much large animal work anymore, so I'm curious to see what she says on air when the show addresses her departure.

On 12/28/2019 at 8:29 AM, pasdetrois said:

He's a good example of not judging a book by its cover, because until you learn more about him, he comes across like a guy who lives in his parents' basement playing video games until he's dragged out to help with the family business.  Still, a little of him goes a long way for me.  Same with Beth, who is way too perky (I hate perky like Lou Grant hates spunk).

I like the other vets in the practice more than I like Dr. Pol, so I would happily watch this show if it kept going after he retired, but a) I don't see him retiring until he absolutely has to and b) I think the show would come to an end then.

• Love 6

Interestingly, they’re still showing her on one of the “12 Days of Pol” promos.

ETA:  Wow, they get a lot of “dog with porcupine quills” cases.  I know it’s horrible for the dogs, but [small voice]I kind of like the sound effect they sometimes use.[/sv]

Edited by smittykins
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, BookWitch said:

Dr. Emily has started her own blog. She doesn't say why she left Dr. Pol yet but says it's a future story.

thank you for posting this!  Dr Emily was one of the main reasons I watched Dr Pol and now I can keep up with her!

On 12/29/2019 at 10:26 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I bet that a lot of large animal practices will lose vets to the Texas Tech, large animal centered vet school that's opening in a couple of years.     So with a few years of large animal experience, a vet could probably get an instructor post there.    

That's my alma mater and I am so glad they raised enough money to open this vet school.  I raise Quarter Horses and Texas, as well as other areas, needs more large animal practices.

• Love 1

It seemed to me that when Dr. Emily was struggling to birth three goats in the back of a trailer, and Dr. Pol was giving her kind of useless advice through the windows (telling her to do stuff she was already doing) that she got testy. There was another instance where she had to work in unusually cold temperatures, and she was clearly suffering. She complained on camera.

I guess they had a personality conflict over time. Or maybe Charles annoyed her. Perhaps there is too much work for the volume of staff. Maybe they don't get paid enough; the Pols appear to be wealthy. And that x-ray machine in the basement, ugh! I don't see the technology at his practice that I see where we go (granted where I go is not a farm practice).

Virginia has its winter moments, but nuthin' like Michigan. Hope Emily's much happier.

ETA: I wonder if Pol should start cutting back, bringing in more vets to handle the heavy load. I imagine a guy like him has trouble acknowledging his age, but maybe he also feels pressure to work in order to support the show. He is the star, and without him there may be no show.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 5