Type keyword(s) to search

Girl Meets Farm - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Yeah, watching because I’m a long-time reader of her blog and have always enjoyed the recipe results of her mixed heritage. Whatever FN has insisted on/urged her to do/requested nicely is doing her no favors. Us either, as it’s bled over to the blog. Sorry, Molly, I understand the desire to increase your kid’s college fund, but *sigh* even Ina can’t avoid the #FNBS. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, sheetmoss said:

Anybody else watching?

Yep.  I thought there were a couple of things for her Rosh Hashanah meal that sounded really good especially the apple and marzipan rolls.

• Love 2
On 10/1/2019 at 7:47 PM, Kohola3 said:

I thought there were a couple of things for her Rosh Hashanah meal that sounded really good especially the apple and marzipan rolls.

I agree.  Those rolls looked amazing!  And I love marzipan, so her marzipan honey frosting looked so delicious.  I was tempted to make the frosting and use it for other desserts.  It looks so versatile.

On 10/5/2019 at 6:06 PM, CharlizeCat said:

I'm still watching.  Haven't seen much lately that I've been inspired to try, but still enjoy the show.

Me too.  She is such a warm personality and I enjoy watching her cook.  She has made quite a few things that I would like to try.  Plus, she's originally from the Chicago area so I feel drawn to liking her.  🙂

• Love 2

I watch her show, but more for the same reason why I watch PW rather than any genuine enjoyment. Every now and then, she has some good stuff, but then a lot is weird cookie or candy bar salads. And going OTT with sprinkles.

But for the most part, I’m just not on board with yet another blogger getting a show to appeal to flyover country rather than true chefs to make restaurant quality food approachable at home.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, marmalade said:

Ok, there is something so annoying about someone who is perpetually happy and smiley !

She’s likable and I like her show, but I wonder if TPTB are telling her to be happy happy happy all the time ! Ugh 

Agree.  I read she was signed for extended multiple contracts so she will be around for awhile. She is very cute and nice and I like her husband too but a few shows back when she bent down by the cake she prepared and winked I was almost done. I feel Food Network is trying to draw in more Millinials with her. She just needs to tone it down a bit.

• Love 3

I agree with you guys about the over done cheeriness. Really starting to bug me. Seems so insincere, especially when her husband shows up; he 's not as good of an actor as she is and gives off a "okay, I'll play along with this  bulls**t but this is SO fake" vibe. I think it's time for her to act a little more mature. She reminds me of a camp counselor or hyperactive babysitter. Certainly not someone a generation of young women/families should be worshipping. While I'm at it, I should add that the sprinkles and tahini have worn out their welcome at my place.

• Love 2

I''m on the "tone it down, honey" train also.   I even got to the point that I get irritated during the show intro when she says "Oooh Yah!  Mmmmm".   She sounds like she's trying to imitate a Minnesota accent (why? doesn't she come from NY?)  and the Mmmm sound, like an excited toddler.   Ugh.

42 minutes ago, patty1h said:

She sounds like she's trying to imitate a Minnesota accent (why? doesn't she come from NY?)  and the Mmmm sound, like an excited toddler.   Ugh.

She grew up in the suburbs of Chicago before moving to NYC to go to Julliard.

• Useful 1

It has been said that the Food Network requires all of its women "stars" to smile at all times. Supposedly it makes them look friendlier and more believable (doesn't work for Ree, she's not believable EVER).  Apparently Giada had to train herself to do it.  

Naturally that rule does not apply to the men.

That may be a lot of what constitutes the overly peppy persona of Molly.  I have seen her on other shows and she's not as over the top as she is on her own show.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

No post office I know would accept cookies in a see through tin with a ribbon tied around them to mail "far and wide." And she had a card taped to the tin.  Nope my postmaster would tell me to go put those tins in packing boxes.

• Love 5

Ah, I don't mind Molly that much. I'd rather see that than bitchy, or crazy/unkempt or condescending/smug. I am sure she was told to ramp up the smiles/enthusiasm to 11+. We have a new weatherman on one of our local stations and he is the matter-of-fact type. Lately, I've noticed that he's been smiling a lot more and it looks fake, so I am sure he's been spoken to by production.

There are a few combination post offices/UPS stores here where if you take in your present or merchandise with the address, the employees will box it up properly and ship it for you.  I imagine that is preferred to some of the horrible-looking packages I've seen people dropping off. Maybe that is the type of place where Molly took her cookies to ship?

4 minutes ago, CharlizeCat said:

Maybe that is the type of place where Molly took her cookies to ship?

I think that was Ree.  I don't recall Molly shipping cookies but I may have missed it.  Ree made a big deal about giving the postmaster a box which he unctuously accepted from the Queen of Pawhuska.

• LOL 2
3 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

I think that was Ree.  I don't recall Molly shipping cookies but I may have missed it.  Ree made a big deal about giving the postmaster a box which he unctuously accepted from the Queen of Pawhuska.

She did in her episode a few months ago. She also gave the postmaster a cookie but only one and in a bag.

When I was in college, my friends and I would always send things in weird/different packaging that want a standard box and never had an issue. 

Edited by biakbiak

Per my cable guide, today's show is the start of Molly's fifth season; the menu was "All Day Brunch" for some of her girlfriends.  The intro is slightly changed, with titles to let us know that Molly is an award winning cookbook author and blogger... who still smiles too much.

She made something that was not over the top crazy - ricotta stuffed blueberry blintzes.  It was interesting to see them made, though they seemed like a lot of work - making the batter, making the cheese filling, preparing the blueberries, then filling the blintzes before folding and frying them.  They looked good but too labor intensive that they won't go on my "might attempt" list.

She made a "breakfast salad" using torn up bagels as croutons and balls of cream cheese rolled in Everything bagel seasoning, which she combined in a bowl of normal green salad ingredients with boiled eggs on top. She made a quick Dijon based dressing.  She also made meatless sausage patties made from walnuts and oats.  Blergh.  🤢

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 1

I would make the salad for lunch maybe adding smoked salmon and capers and substitute goat cheese for the cream cheese but the blintzes too fussy for a group not to mention they would get cold and soggy if you didn’t serve them right away. 

I’ve made blintzes and they’re a treat. Absolutely make the crepe batter ahead. Filling, and Molly’s looked to be tasty, takes a few minutes and they wrap in seconds. Takes as much time to sauté as the frozen kind and are miles better. I’m always disappointed by restaurant versions. The error I saw was Molly pouring the berry liquid over the crisp blintzes. They were crisp no more. (Also, I’d them warm in a low temp oven or just use a very large frypan.)

• Love 1

I guess Cliff’s have to come from somewhere, I just have never met a baby named Cliff!

I have weirdly been craving turkey burgers, weirdly because I probably haven’t had one in more than 5 years, so I might give hers a whirl.

• Love 1

Molly’s show today gave me unfortunate flashbacks of having to prep hundreds of bannock (bread on a stick) at the hotel I used to work at that was perpetually in search of an identity. At that time, TPTB decided they were going to be a rustic wine retreat and had the idea that the pastry department was going to prepare campfire foods like s’mores and bannock. And it was never small groups that would order this stuff, so I’ve done probably a couple thousand of those things and 90% of them would go to waste because bannock is not a thing here.

• Love 2

My 8 year old BFF (she insists that’s what we are) is not an outdoor child she takes after her mother and me so I might make that S’more Pie then next time she wants to cook something sweet.

As a concept the potato thing is interesting, never seen it, but I can’t imagine ever doing it. 

1 hour ago, Automne said:

bannock is not a thing here.

Is it a thing anywhere?! I say this as someone with a Scottish grandmother!

• LOL 1
15 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Is it a thing anywhere?! I say this as someone with a Scottish grandmother!

Practically every indigenous culture has bannock or fry bread in some form.  Not for hot dogs and not using yeast though!  They are cooked in a number of ways from baking it on a stick to baking it on a hot stone to putting it right into the fire.  I make it at home but in a frying pan.

• Love 1

I wanted to drop in to say that I made Molly's "granola" bars from a few weeks ago. I put "granola" in quotes because I really didn't consider it to be granola. I had some mixed nut butter and mixed roasted salted nuts, but otherwise, followed the recipe exactly. They are very very good. A small square has been very satisfying and mine were pretty thick, about 1 1/2". I think the the ones Molly made on TV were in a larger, shallower pan, but nonetheless, thumbs up!

Edited by CharlizeCat
  • Love 2

Today's show we watched Molly make a 'farmers lunch", which consisted of meatball stuffed biscuits, polenta with vegetables and bacon and a meringue dessert. 

This dish was the one that made me turn up my nose:  roasted delicata squash, tossed with white balsamic and harissa, crumbled feta cheese and pickled jalapeno rings.  This mix is then topped with the toasted seeds she scraped out of the squash, which have been tossed with cayenne and pumpkin pie spice.  My tongue is itching.

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, patty1h said:

Today's show we watched Molly make a 'farmers lunch", which consisted of meatball stuffed biscuits, polenta with vegetables and bacon and a meringue dessert. 

This dish was the one that made me turn up my nose:  roasted delicata squash, tossed with white balsamic and harissa, crumbled feta cheese and pickled jalapeno rings.  This mix is then topped with the toasted seeds she scraped out of the squash, which have been tossed with cayenne and pumpkin pie spice.  My tongue is itching.

Those rolls looked killer.  Might have to give that a whirl.

• Love 2

I've been catching up on dvr'ed eps and I find I'm losing interest in her cooking. I kinda feel how Bernie looks: bored with it all. Indeed, Bernie is adorable but that flat affect! It's like she's just over it! I was happy to see her smile and play a little when Cliff came over. (Agree with above comment about Cliff's have to come from somewhere! I feel that way about Walter's! At least Bernie makes for a cute nickname for Bernadette...and was easy to change to Bernard or whatever the family name was if she had a boy.)

Those blintzes looked yummy but they'd be a soggy mess with the sauce put on them so far in advance. I'm not a cream cheese fan so that bagel salad with cc balls turned me off. The squash situation took my favorite baked squash and ruined it with such harsh flavors; it's called delicata for a reason.

I noticed she hasn't updated her blog in over a month. Sad. The FN has a way of ruining the good stuff.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, plumbago blues said:

I noticed she hasn't updated her blog in over a month.

I will say she does update her Instagram every day and posts stories, I can understand though if you aren't into that and prefer blog posts how disappointing it might be.

• Love 1
On 1/22/2020 at 1:01 PM, mishy said:

I will say she does update her Instagram every day and posts stories

Good point. I'm kind of turned off by most of the blogger's Instagram's now...seems like they are all shilling something and I feel used by it...I hate seeing a post with a picture of a name brand item, say yeast or a type of coconut oil. There are enough ads in my life. 

OMG, I'm starting to hate watch this show and grit my teeth while Molly smiles!smiles!smiles! through each dish she prepares.  She must do that beauty queen trick of putting vaseline on her teeth to keep that smile popping.

Today was her Valentine's Day menu; most of what she made wasn't bad... I was drooling for those nougat squares (minus the sprinkles though).  The rest of the menu was steak with chimichurri. salad and garlic babka muffins.  I had chimichurri once and loved it - I know it's fairly easy and only about 5-6 ingredients, and seeing her make it reminded me that that's another thing on my try-to-make list.  Soon.

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 3
On 2/9/2020 at 7:17 PM, patty1h said:

OMG, I'm starting to hate watch this show and grit my teeth while Molly smiles!smiles!smiles! through each dish she prepares.  She must do that beauty queen trick of putting vaseline on her teeth to keep that smile popping.

Today was her Valentine's Day menu; most of what she made wasn't bad... I was drooling for those nougat squares (minus the sprinkles though).  The rest of the menu was steak with chimichurri. salad and garlic babka muffins.  I had chimichurri once and loved it - I know it's fairly easy and only about 5-6 ingredients, and seeing her make it reminded me that that's another thing on my try-to-make list.  Soon.

OMG ITA! I liked Molly at first but they must be telling her to smile smile smile ! Everyone has to be over the top and fake is one way or another!

I still like the show , but she makes me cringe at times with the over done BS!i 

I will just say that I know most everyone finds their own baby fascinating and beautiful , but I think that not all babies are cute!   

• Love 2

Wow, this show was number 2 in FN ratings last week, ahead of Pioneer Woman. That's impressive.

FOOD NETWORK RATINGS FOR ORIGINAL PROGRAMS (February 17-23, 2020)
Source: Showbuzzdaily

(Rank/Show/Timeslot/# of Viewers/Demo rating 18-49 in parenthesis)

1---THE KITCHEN (Season Premiere)---Sat 11:00AM---1,269,000 (0.22)
2---GIRL MEETS FARM---Sun 11:00AM---1,093,000 (0.22)
3---PIONEER WOMAN---Sat 10:00AM---1,090,000 (0.17)

• Love 1

Anything that beats PW is on my good list.

I agree that the smiling and sprinkles get on the nerves but she does have some interesting dishes and ones that are not going to send you directly to the cardiac care unit.  Plus I like her little kitchen, it's like the one I grew up with and even her electric stove has those coils - no "real artists only cook with gas" attitude.  It shows you can actually prepare meals in tight spaces.

• Love 9

I honestly watch more for Molly's outfits than the recipes (although I enjoy those, too), and I thought she looked super cute today, with the subdued Hawaiian top and jeans. A nice change 🙂 

On 2/27/2020 at 10:52 PM, Door County Cherry said:

I suspected it must be doing well because of how quickly new episodes come out with very little down time.  Much less down time than some of the other shows. 

If they rebooted FNS I'm guessing Ree and Molly will be involved gives those ratings. Which I mean isn't BAD but they'll also likely try to bring in Guy so they'll have two divisive hosts there.

Smiley did a Passover themed show today and I found the menu extremely carb heavy.  She made fusion dishes, based on her Chinese-Jewish heritage:  matzoh ball soup with Asian spices, spiced meat pie also with matzoh and traditional coconut macaroons for dessert.  She said their usual protein for Passover was brisket, but she wanted to do something different.  I'd rather have brisket!

The matzoh balls she made with matzoh meal, and they were dropped in a chicken broth that included soy sauce, green onions and sesame oil.  Big doughy matzohs as first course, then the meat pie which was made with matzoh crackers as the crust. 

Dessert was the large macaroons, dipped in chocolate, which could have been a nice finish to a heavy meal but Molly went one step too far (IMO) when she stirred in a ton of childish multicolored sprinkles.   I think most sprinkles taste artificial and very sweet, so I imagine those macaroons were REALLY gross with all of the added sugar from the sprinkles.  

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 1

Molly’s meat pie looked delicious—using matzo instead of phyllo is a great technique applicable to all kinds of filling, thanks, Molly. The spice blend seemed a riff on baharat. I’ll make a smaller version, since it’s Seder and meals for one this year.

Chocolate-dipped macaroons are my favorite, minus the sprinkles, though. Appreciate her sharing the recipe, I’ll try them this year, as we won’t be with my usual baker source. 🙁

• Love 1
6 hours ago, buttersister said:

Chocolate-dipped macaroons are my favorite, minus the sprinkles, though. 

Me, too, they are delicious.  I will do mine without sprinkles as well.  Why ruin a good thing?

• Love 1