Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: Low Man

• Start Topic

Looks like J might end up the Low Man(?). 

______________ I'm surprised there are no cameras pointing to the fence line where they are looking into the operation, movie magic. 

Surprised daddy flew in from Guam to get his little girl. After the way he talked to her on the last call I thought he didn't give a hoot. It was because of that call she started doing the smack. He made her feel unloved, unwanted, and uncared about. He took her hope away in one phone call. Now he is all up in J's arse. Do you think the J's uncles will let her live? Maybe her and her poppy won't make it out of Kalifornia alive. 

__________________WOW, Smurf is one cold momma. 

• Love 2

I thought Nikki’s father had a great scene. It was fun seeing him tear J a new one. Unfortunately, his daughter is a complete sociopath, so ...good luck.

I think Smurf called their bluff and they had to let her go because they couldn’t prove anything. I’m just glad she’s out. There’s going to be hell to pay!

• Love 5

Billy is deviously evil and the drugs are probably helping.

Nicky's dad was a day late and a dollar short. Where was all that parental concern back when she wanted to clean up and go home and he basically told her "nah, maybe later"? And I guess he missed the significance of J leaving her outside the hospital and taking off. J was already done with her.

Billy and his girlfriend set up that wallet and keys trick with the SUV they stole, right? Did I miss something?

Why doesn't Smurf give up Billy to the police? Is she scared he'll rat her and the boys out in return?

Linc's getting jealous already. Not a good sign, especially given how hot he is. Whatever, looks like Deran is a bit of a player.

I sure did like that Nine Inch Nails song at the end. The beat is reminiscent of Closer.

• Love 1
(edited)

Best episode of the season, by far! I've been critical but they've cleaned up a bit... Nikki is gone! (Whooo), J finally is thinking straight about Smurf, only problem -- she's out! Good luck!

Billy is using Craig, that was a set up, notice how he's telling Deran in planting seeds about J, at least Pope sees Right thru him., he's a con man.

Mia, oh boy! I think Baz did something dirty... We are lead to believe its smurf but I'm not so sure.

3 hours ago, rhys said:

How did Smurf get out of jail?

They had nothing on her.. Why go to court when they cant provide the evidence?!

And Smurf would NEVER rat on her boys, Billy is screwed BC mama bear is lethal.

Edited by Gsallo

Just looking forward to all the characters ending up dead or in prison at this point. There is no redeemable person in the entire case and that includes J, who i won't cut slack just because he's young. After those two dumped the dementia lady off at a bus stop a few episodes ago, my last hope for some spark of a soul was extinguished.

• Love 1
(edited)

I am now thinking Nicky’s father last episode was trying tough love but it backfired on him.  This episode he teared into J for not protecting her.  I don’t like Mia at all and I actually did like the idea of Nicky but the show never really knew what to do with her.

Smurf being out is going to be interesting.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2
(edited)

Bless... Nicky is gone! Nothing against the actress. I was just so done with the character. Plus I never forgave Nicky for hooking up with Craig to spite J. 

Finally Frankie is doing something other than lounging around in various aspects of undress. She's definitely appealing to one of Craig's biggest weaknesses in an ocean of weak spots: sex. I guess if that didn't work, she'd have gone with drugs. Billy is now more obvious in his attempts to divide and conquer. I feel like on some level Deran sees his bullshit and while he's not buying in to it totally, it's poking at some doubts. Pope is 100% not buying Billy's bullshit and I don't think J is either though he's been more wrapped up in the Smurf, Nicky, and Mia stuff to really give his patented glare at Billy. Craig is Craig. 

I don't know what to make of J and Mia. 

I am glad Smurf is out of jail. I don't like her but she's compelling and I'm looking forward to the conflicts and paybacks her release will bring to the family. She'll also be working to get Billy out of the house and I am looking forward to that.  

As S3 goes on, I miss Baz sometimes. He was an utter bastard but much like Smurf, he was compelling in his interactions. That said, his death has forced the others to step up. I just need them to do more heists. The lack of heists this season has been disappointing. 

Linc is cute and he & Deran are obviously having fun while keeping it casual. IMO, Deran is still totally in love with Adrian. Linc definitely caught on quickly to the obviousness of things between Deran and Adrian. I am curious where Linc and Deran will go from here. It's not a traditional triangle. Also I noticed in this ep that Deran couldn't stop touching Adrian in both of their scenes as well as the looks he gave Adrian during the scene at Adrian's former place. Deran's stumbling introduction of Adrian to Linc was funny. Awkward. As Adrian said, their timing seems to always be off but I am still pulling for them to make it in the end. 

Edited by Chick2Chic
addition... addition!
  • Love 2

Well that was a surprising episode. And it's about time. Hopefully now things will start to get good.

So this is where the show got pretty clever IMO. Detective Pierce has been leaning on Smurf hard trying to get her to cut a deal. But a couple episodes ago we saw that private conversation between him and the ADA where she warned him they didn't have enough on Smurf to go to trial. So his claim they had a witness was a bluff. It shook her up enough to try to get J to find Javier's crew. And then apparently Pierce was also responsible for getting Rodriguez out of solitary and into Smurf's cell so he was really putting the screws to her at that point which is where she finally, almost caved and was willing to give up her boys in exchange for a three year sentence at a minimum security prison. But then when Pierce came back and countered with 8-10 years she sniffed out his bluff. She was supposed to go to court for her evidentiary hearing the next day but that ADA never planned to go through with it because she knew there was not enough evidence and she wasn't willing to risk her career on this, so time ran out for Pierce at that point.

Loved it!

Here's what's really confusing me/pissing me off about this show - they keep showing scenes in promo spots that don't exist. Last week and all this week in promos, they showed J telling Smurf "you're not my problem anymore." But he never said that when he visited her. It's like they're filming extra scenes they don't use just to throw us off. 

I did like that he finally told her she better watch how she talks to him because he's all she's got, but boy, bad timing for J now that she's out.

• Love 7

It will be very interesting to see how Smurf being free shakes out.  Is she gonna forgive and forget and try to get the family business out of the red with the help of her boys, or will she lay low with a long con and set them up for a fall?   Heaven knows, they deserve it for letting her rot in jail for X time, and Smurf is probably vengeful enough to want some payback.

Upthread someone said that they want to see how Smurf gets Billy out of her house.  That should not be an issue in real life ("get the fuck out, non-rent paying squatter!") but I'm sure the writers will come up with some reason that she'll let him stay, you know, for DRAMA.

Oh snap, Smurf is out and on the prowl again! That was a smart play, basically calling their bluff, and running out the clock until they basically had to let her out. Looking forward to seeing what her next move is. You never know with Smurf, but things are going to be getting extra super real. 

Nice to see Nikki's dad, even if his rant at J was super hypocritical. J deserved a dressing down for how he treated Nikki like an afterthought (and dumping her on the ground in front of a hospital and all that), but her dad was the one who basically told her no one in her family wanted her around when she practically begged to be allowed to go back to them. Maybe he felt guilty? I was actually kind of surprised he bothered with her. Not that I miss Nikki very much. I never hated her the way a lot of people did, but I wont miss her if this is the last we see of her. 

Billy really is a parasite, manipulating Craig with boobs and Deran with his self worth issues with his family( even if he is at least smart enough to not fully buy this) trying to slither his way into the family. Pope is really the only one who sees it right now, or at least what this guy is obviously up to. I do kind of like his kind of girlfriend. No way does Smurf let them keep crashing in their house though. 

Deran and Linc are cute, but he is still pretty clearly still in love with Adrian. Neither of them seem to be into a traditional, monogamous relationship right now, and Deran and Linc are having fun doing the casual thing, but he seems to have really strong feelings for Adrian, is maybe in love with him, and will probably keep coming back to him even if they never officially become a monogamous couple. 

I was surprised when Deran looked hurt at Lincoln's question about Smurf's jailing.  What he knew would likely have been public information, anyway.  A murder like that would have been in the newspapers, and so would the arrest and jailing of a prime suspect, especially if the cops had it in for the Cody family.  They would make sure it was publicized.

So Pope has the bug in his ear that Smurf put the hit on Baz.  J is screwing the woman who ostensibly protected Smurf in jail, but now he wants nothing to do with her.  Craig is hooking up with the girlfriend of the guy Smurf hates more than anyone else.  Family dinners are just not going to be pleasant. 

They still have to contend with the pill mill gang, who know that they pulled that job.

I'm hoping they hijack that plane and skydive out the back with the cash.

8 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Nice to see Nikki's dad, even if his rant at J was super hypocritical. J deserved a dressing down for how he treated Nikki like an afterthought (and dumping her on the ground in front of a hospital and all that), but her dad was the one who basically told her no one in her family wanted her around when she practically begged to be allowed to go back to them. Maybe he felt guilty? I was actually kind of surprised he bothered with her. Not that I miss Nikki very much. I never hated her the way a lot of people did, but I wont miss her if this is the last we see of her. 

Well he still is an active duty naval officer and Nikki, along with his lack of attention would come to the notice of his CO. If he has anything like a career left beyond guilt he has to move.  Seeing how all the local cops seem to know the Cody's even if no case has been made I am kind of surprised we haven't crossed franchises yet and a NCIS Agent hasn't tripped across the Nikki/Cody connection during their theft investigation.

23 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Here's what's really confusing me/pissing me off about this show - they keep showing scenes in promo spots that don't exist. Last week and all this week in promos, they showed J telling Smurf "you're not my problem anymore." But he never said that when he visited her. It's like they're filming extra scenes they don't use just to throw us off. 

I dislike these misleading promos, too.  And don't forget the re-does...such as the full scene of Nicky smoking heroin with Billy while the earlier episode simply showed him inviting her to join him.  And the odd scene showing Mia shooting Baz...why?  To stop fans from speculating about who the shooter was?  If so, it didn't work.  Now the conversation seems to center around confusion over who hired Mia.  

I did think this was the first really good episode since the first of the season.  Here we see J stop cowering around.  He reminds Smurf that he is all she has...she cannot continue to use and abuse him.  He asserts himself with Mia, who up until this episode has led him around like her pet boy, but at the end of this episode HE barges into HER place and takes charge.

Nicky is gone...the commander's dressing down was a small price to pay for getting her out of his hair.  What happens to Nicky was Nicky's fault.  She was lucky J showed up when he did.  Even if J had been willing to take his money and go, Nicky was always going to be a problem.  She is a girl who only wanted to have fun, an addictive personality type who lacks the fortitude to do anything at all to improve her situation.  Notice how dirty the house has become in Smurf's absence. She could not even bother to keep the place tidy.  She just barely managed to graduate.

Apparently all J wants from life is to belong to this family of criminals.  A disappointing choice for a bright boy, but predictable probably for the son of an addict.  And in this episode we see his uncles have accepted him.  Pope is clearly their leader, but Deran thus far seems unaffected by Billy's efforts to make Deran jealous of J. 

So now that Smurf is finally free, I am waiting to see what direction the writers will take us.  

They still have to contend with the pill mill gang, who know that they pulled that job.

Do they though? We know Pierce strongly suspected the Codys but would he pass that info along to the pill mill gang? 

I really wanted for J to tell Deran that Nicky got into Billy's heroine, OD'd and shot herself, which is why he missed the meeting. I mean, in a roundabout way this is about Deran. Billy is his father, nobody else's. But J plays everything so close to the vest he gives nothing away, not even when he's being slammed for something that's not even his fault.

Apparently all J wants from life is to belong to this family of criminals. 

I really think J wanted acceptance more than anything else, especially from Baz, which is why he chose the Codys over the police at the end of Season 1. But now I just feel like he feels trapped and doesn't have anywhere else to go. 

Notice how dirty the house has become in Smurf's absence. She could not even bother to keep the place tidy. 

In fairness to Nicky we did see her doing other people's laundry last week. Big picture though . . . no, she won't be missed.

I feel like on some level Deran sees his bullshit and while he's not buying in to it totally, it's poking at some doubts. 

Let's also remember that Deran was more of a "mama's boy" than the other sons. I think he managed to finally cut the apron strings with Smurf by telling her he's gay but I also think he's still susceptible to needing a parental attachment. I'd really like to see more of that dynamic.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Do they though? We know Pierce strongly suspected the Codys but would he pass that info along to the pill mill gang? 

He mentioned their name as he was walking through the place.  I think he's expecting the crew will pick up on it and, being criminals themselves, will deal with it, proof or not.

• Love 2

I'd be surprised if they revisited the pill mill thing though. That seemed like a one-off. And it looked like the clean-up crew at the herbal store were just hired lackeys, not the gang members themselves (nor the two who were trapped there during the heist.)

Moving forward  I expect Deran's car heist crew to be the thorn in their side (at least that one guy who keeps bugging him), along with Mia and her gang, not to mention Billy.

When the prison matron came to take Smurf out of her cell, the camera panned down to the shiv on the floor. I was expecting something to come of that . . . like she would just be on the verge of release then they would find the shiv and re-arrest her or throw her in solitaire or something.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

So Pope has the bug in his ear that Smurf put the hit on Baz.  J is screwing the woman who ostensibly protected Smurf in jail, but now he wants nothing to do with her.  Craig is hooking up with the girlfriend of the guy Smurf hates more than anyone else.  Family dinners are just not going to be pleasant. 

To me that whole confession from the guy in Mexico was beyond fake.  I still feel like Lucy and her bro were behind it and this was her way of trying to get the Cody’s off her tail.  Dude had too much specific info.  

BTW where was Lena this episode???  Pipe runs off to Mexico.  She is presumably still suspended from school? 

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, Novel8 said:

Everyone is having sex on this  show, but Pope....and Smurf....ha,ha

You mean so far this season the two elders had their moments in the past.

• Love 1
On 7/10/2018 at 10:37 PM, rhys said:

She made a deal with that detective, which I doubt. I think the cops were paper tigers, they had no evidence. She called their bluff. They had to let her go. The guy was already dead after the bullets from her gun were put in him. 

19 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I'd be surprised if they revisited the pill mill thing though. That seemed like a one-off. And it looked like the clean-up crew at the herbal store were just hired lackeys, not the gang members themselves (nor the two who were trapped there during the heist.)

Moving forward  I expect Deran's car heist crew to be the thorn in their side (at least that one guy who keeps bugging him), along with Mia and her gang, not to mention Billy.

When the prison matron came to take Smurf out of her cell, the camera panned down to the shiv on the floor. I was expecting something to come of that . . . like she would just be on the verge of release then they would find the shiv and re-arrest her or throw her in solitaire or something.

I thought the same thing too. She would almost be out the door and they would pull her back in on a new charge. Sooo, glad to see her out. I can't wait for the next explosive episode when she confronts all dem boys, lol ! 

To me that whole confession from the guy in Mexico was beyond fake.  I still feel like Lucy and her bro were behind it and this was her way of trying to get the Cody’s off her tail. 

Except we know from the flashback that Mia is the one who shot Baz so how would she be connected to Lucy and her brother? I'm still waiting for Pope (and Smurf) to figure out they're the ones who stole all the cash Baz lifted from Smurf's storage locker though.

• Love 1
On 7/11/2018 at 5:50 AM, mxc90 said:

Smurf only got a black eye? Alvarez went easy on her.

or she fought back better than anyone expected.

On 7/10/2018 at 11:38 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Billy and his girlfriend set up that wallet and keys trick with the SUV they stole, right? Did I miss something?

nah. most people leave their keys somewhere while they surf. The GF is supposedly psychic and said there was a wallet in the truck but no keys on the tire. she was right.

• Love 3
(edited)

Could Smurf have got the shiv left in the cell when she fought with the cell mate?  Alvarez?  But it does look just like the one offered her earlier, so maybe Smurf changed her mind and took the shiv offered by the Trujillos.

Edited by lazylou
clarification
  • Love 2
On 7/13/2018 at 1:37 PM, iMonrey said:

Except we know from the flashback that Mia is the one who shot Baz so how would she be connected to Lucy and her brother? I'm still waiting for Pope (and Smurf) to figure out they're the ones who stole all the cash Baz lifted from Smurf's storage locker though.

Yup. The only plausible outcome is if mia is somehow connected with Javier, his enforcer ( the guy that smurf paid to kill him)  told his cartel Baz had killed Javy so Smurf would not take the heat from the cartel. I dunno!  Where is that guy any way? Is he dead?

On 7/14/2018 at 2:47 AM, lazylou said:

Could Smurf have got the shiv left in the cell when she fought with the cell mate?  Alvarez?  But it does look just like the one offered her earlier, so maybe Smurf changed her mind and took the shiv offered by the Trujillos.

Do not underestimate Janine! Remember she killed before and went after Craig's father, she is tough, no doubt! I'm scared for J BC I don't think he can bring her down.... Nobody can!

5 hours ago, Gsallo said:

Yup. The only plausible outcome is if mia is somehow connected with Javier, his enforcer ( the guy that smurf paid to kill him)  told his cartel Baz had killed Javy so Smurf would not take the heat from the cartel. I dunno!  Where is that guy any way? Is he dead?

Do not underestimate Janine! Remember she killed before and went after Craig's father, she is tough, no doubt! I'm scared for J BC I don't think he can bring her down.... Nobody can!

Smurf hired Pete (Mia's boss) to go after her money Baz stole. Remember he went and told Smurf someone already got to it. Stands to reason then that Smurf also was the one that paid Pete and Mia to kill Baz.

• Love 1

Except that Smurf had already set up Pope to kill Baz. And as far as we know, the next thing she found out was that Baz died. She had no way of knowing Pope didn't go through with it, so how did she know to pay someone else to kill Baz?

If I had to guess I'd say they had something else in mind last season and somewhere in between the writers changed their minds. I don't think Mia was originally going to be the shooter (hell she wasn't even on the show last season).