Type keyword(s) to search

The Flash in the Media

Lisin
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, driedfruit said:

The only ones I disagreed with were #7 about disguises, because they're comic/superhero shows, that's one thing I just accept and try not to quibble over. And #5 because I don't think it's really fair to whine about a show's budget. I think the audience gets a lot more with today's special effects -- just check out a few episodes of 90s Flash for comparison.

I did love this gem, because, truth:

... Over in Flash Town, Zoom unveiled a plan to annihilate every single alternate Earth by way of a big science machine and running really fast, purely because he was a massive douche. It was a goal whipped pretty much out of nowhere to amp up the tension for the finale, even clashing with Zoom’s previous ambition to conquer alternate Earths.

Zoom turned out to be such a disappointment.

• Love 1
(edited)

I know it is related to Arrow and not Flash, but the description of Laurel Lance's fighting skills being somewhere between Burt Ward as Robin and a sloth with a paper bag stuck on it's head really made me LOL.

And Zoom really was a massive douche. The whole doomsday thing is a yawn. Why not just have a thing where they want to mind control everyone somehow? Mass brainwashing to take away free will? That would be more realistic and still disturbing. It could actually be even more creepy if they did it right.

The Omni-genius thing: I like it sometimes. It can work in a comic book show IMO. But when shows that are supposed to be more realistic use it, I cringe. The show Criminal Minds went from using Penelope Garcia (a more plump and older precursor to Felicity Smoak) went from having somewhat realistic limitations where she had to make phone calls and rely on what would actually be available online to almost every episode magically finding some key piece of evidence or information that probably would not even have been on the internet to begin with and would not be legal for her to search for even if it were-- because she works for the FBI and is not part of some superhero team. They really do play fast and loose with the hacking though.

One thing they never mentioned was what an awful shot the bad guys always are. They almost always miss people at nearly point blank range but the heroes almost always hit their marks.

Edited by zannej

"The Flash" S2 VFX Breakdown, from Encore VFX:

They're really proud of Grodd, but I was hoping to see stuff from other episodes. "Gorilla Warfare" was submitted to the Emmys for 'Special Visual Effects', BTW.

Ooh! Awesome news about the VFX. I hope they actually try to give the CG version of Barry some more texture to his skin. Going from the 4k HD quality where you can see pores, blemishes, to the overly smooth CG thing is rather jarring and I can pretty much always tell when it is CG vs real.

I really like Tom Felton, but I hope they don't get too stupid with it.

I was sort of hoping there would be someone in the lab named Julio as a nod to the Julio lab tech from the original Flash series.

On 7/2/2016 at 2:05 AM, zannej said:

I was sort of hoping there would be someone in the lab named Julio as a nod to the Julio lab tech from the original Flash series.

I'm still waiting for him to show up on the show! They managed to get all the other regulars a guest spot.

------

Anyway, Grant and Candice have confirmed on Twitter that they will be at Comic Con; last year, the whole cast was there, so I assume most if not all will be there this year. The real question is whether Tom Felton will join....

• Love 1

"Welcome to Earth-2" made Collider's 'Best TV Episodes of 2016' list:

The only thing better than spending time each week with your favorite characters is getting to see the bizarro versions of them, which allows the actors play with completely different personality traits. Such was the delight of “Welcome to Earth-2,” part of a Flash season that started very strong and ended in uncertainty. But what is absolutely certain is that “Welcome to Earth-2” was a lovingly crafted hour that was designed to help highlight aspects of the characters we already adore, while still being filled with the series’ typical meta references. ...

Not much news about next season, but at least we get these cute videos:
'Grab a Slice with Grant and Jesse':

• Love 1

Thanks again, Trini! I love how well they get along.

I hope we'll see a Pizza thing with Tom Cavanagh as well. I want to see if he still has that bruise on his finger. I wonder who they would pair him with, though. I'd like to see Violett Beane, but they might pair him with Keiynan.

Kevin Smith will have a panel at Comic Con, he might talk about The Flash:

Kevin Smith
What if you had a panel and the audience didn’t show up? Kevin Smith can tell you what it’s like: Last year, the clown prince of Comic-Con saw thousands of people abandon his annua Hall H talk for a once-in-a-lifetime outdoor Star Wars concert. But the plucky, portly director and podcaster is back to tell silly stories and talk about his new movie Yoga Hosers, his AMC Network shows Comic Book Men and Geeking Out, directing an episode of The Flash for The CW, his forthcoming Buckaroo Banzai adaptation, and the Mallrats sequel that’s gonna be a TV series! You can’t miss this perennial Hall H highlight (unless there’s something way better going on at the same time, like a Star Wars concert).

Saturday July 23, 2016 7:00pm – 8:30pm
Hall H

• Love 1

Is it just me, or does that look like the brighter scarlet uniform that we saw on the Future Flash in S1?  It might just be TV Guide's Photoshop, but it definitely looks like a brighter red that S2 (plus, no zipper).Future-Flash-Barry-Allen-stops-Present-F

• Love 1

It's definitely more red; but I think they adjusted it to fit the red, white + blue/patriotic theme they have for all the covers. It would be cool if we get the brighter red in the next suit upgrade, but I don't think that's happening soon.

• Love 1

I didn't even know Conan still had a show!

Flashbehindtheseams posted some photos of the various speedster costumes on the rack-- Wally's, Barry's, and the batman-esque one. Barry's suit still looked to be the same color, so maybe the brighter red is just the lighting or a photoshop job?

Blah. I was hoping for somthing substantive on Conan last night. What with Melissa and Grant being on. But nothing. nada. Though I really wish either Melissa or Grant could have answered the question of whether we'll get Supergirl and Barry would sing!

Yeah, that was pretty nothing. In fact, if SA hadn't been there, Conan probably would have had some trouble getting the other two to contribute. Grant seems very shy in interviews. Oh, well. Hopefully we'll get lots of good stuff tomorrow from Comic-Con.

I hope there's some actual news they can announce about the new season.

• Love 2

A bit about The Flash from this Kevin Smith interview:

SMITH: Yeah, I go back the first week in September to direct Episode 7 of Season 3. I was supposed to do Episode 5, but we got Yoga Hosers released that same period, and I had to do a bunch of press, and I love doing Flash and we did a wonderful job, me and the cast and crew last episode. I didn’t want to be split focus. I want to give it all my attention, so I had to move from Episode 5 to Episode 7 to clear the Yoga Hosers release.

• Love 2

Variety: 'Biggest Hits and Misses From the TV Panels'

Hit: “The Flash”

The jury is still out on the DC cinematic universe, but on the small screen, “The Flash” remained a standout for the Comic-Con crowd, debuting a revealing Season 3 trailer that showed the extreme repercussions of Barry Allen’s decision to go back in time and save his mother in the Season 2 finale, creating an alternate timeline known as “Flashpoint,” a plot point beloved by comic book readers. The lively panel also revealed new information about one of the season’s villains, Doctor Alchemy, and an upcoming “Arrow” crossover, before stars Grant Gustin and Jesse L. Martin demonstrated their tap dancing prowess on stage, thoroughly charming the audience.

• Love 1

Interview with Matt Letscher, with a bit of new info on his role in Season 3; also talks about Legends of Tomorrow.

“I did get my own suit this year, so I hope they put it to good use,” Letscher tells TVLine. The original Reverse-Flash suit “was built for Tom, who is probably two inches shorter than me and a lot skinnier, so you can only imagine the sausage casing it felt like when I tried to get into that!”

• Love 1

Interview and photo spread with Candice Patton, from Untitled Magazine:

... PB: You play Iris West in The Flash. What was it about the character that made you want to play her and what did you have to bring to the role?

CP: Iris West in the comics is so integral to Barry Allen’s story. The “Lois Lane” of The Flash, how could I say no? Especially as a black female actress, knowing that they were open to changing the ethnicity of Barry Allen, the hero’s, love interest was a big deal. I knew this role would be important, even in a small way, in changing what an ingénue and a desirable romantic love interest looks like on television. On top of that Iris is a badass, she has so much strength of character.

PB: #Oscarssowhite made racism and sexism in the workplace even more apparent, in Hollywood and beyond. You and I watched the Oscars together. Do you think any of the current hype around these issues will change anything?

CP: Anyone in the business knows that these issues have been prevalent for a long time. Progress has been made, but it’s slow and much more is needed. The more we talk about it, the more we call it out for what it is, and the more we support diverse works of art – the more we can impact change. We have to use our money to start demanding a more diverse landscape. We have to have more diverse leaders at the heads of networks, and studios, and casting, and writers’ room. I am lucky, Greg Berlanti, our executive producer works very hard to enact changes – more diverse casts, more women directors, etc. We need more people in charge who are willing to change the landscape. Diversity in Hollywood can bring about more unique stories and more stories that reflect the world that we really live in. ...

• Love 3