Type keyword(s) to search

The Flash in the Media

Lisin
  • Start Topic

The Flash Cast Plays Who Said It: Barry Allen or a Disney Character?  -- (video) This is cute! I think Carlos has the best reactions.

From EW: The 15 best episodes of The Flash, ranked    - I agree with most of the episodes they picked, but not all the rankings.

More quotes from the cast about the 100th episode: The Flash cast previews their 100th episode and the return of ...

"I had to read the script two or three times before I really got it," Sawyer says. "I was like, 'Wait. What year are we in?' I thought it was really fun for Ralph because, in the final cut, he got to look at it and go, 'What does this mean? Who is that? Ok. No, I don't got it.' I love that because if you are an audience member and you haven't watched since day one and you are jumping in, you are going to have the same questions Ralph has. I love that he does that stuff. It's kind of a nudge to the audience like, 'We know we've done 100 of these. We know we've done so many. Let's see what that means and how it's going to play out.'"

Another interview with Tom C. about the 100th episode: https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2018/12/04/no-slowing-down-tom-cavanagh-directs-the-flashs-100th-episode

It’s interesting because you don’t ever do an episode thinking, “Yeah, we’ll do this again at some point!”

As an actor, I don’t watch my stuff, but as a director, I believe in being as meticulously prepared as one can be, and that involves knowing everything there is about what you’re directing. In this instance, it’s these prior shows. It was so weird for a guy who never watches his stuff to be put in a position where I had to watch these episodes again and again and again. But it was all to make our 100th episode that much better.

It also faces its own challenge in that you have to revisit those things, but with a different angle or perspective than you had the first time. So, suddenly you’re using all of this new technology—like digi or green screen—all of these elements, and putting someone in who may not be familiar with the scene because they weren’t there the first time around. We see so much of this episode through Jessica Parker Kennedy’s eyes. We see a lot of these moments not through someone who’s been through them, but through someone who’s never seen them. So, it’s essentially the viewer watching the viewer.

So, we have Barry's pic for the 100th episode, but no Iris?

I thought they'd put it up later, but nope. I don't understand how they got everyone else who was at the party, but not Candice??

'The Flash Stars, EP Talk Episode 100's Shocking Twist, What It Means for Nora'

“She’s working with him because, in the future, her mother isn’t telling her any information,” executive producer Todd Helbing reveals. “So she goes to him for very specific information, which then leads to them building a relationship that we’ll start to unpack with the second half of the season.”

As the storyline progresses, “you’ll definitely see more of that relationship — whatever weird, wacky relationship that is. That will all be explained,” Jessica Parker Kennedy, who plays Nora, promises. “I’m really interested to see if fans enjoy it or if they hate it, and how they feel about Nora, if they’re going to like her or not like her.”

'The Flash boss on (SPOILER)'s return in the 100th episode'

Was there anyone you wanted to bring back for the 100th that you weren’t able to?

Originally, we had Eddie Thawne [Rick Cosnett] in it. It’s hard with episodes like this when you have 42 minutes to tell the story to get everybody back. There are scheduling conflicts. I think we would’ve loved to have a longer scene with [Teddy Sears] for sure. We would’ve liked to get Tom Felton back, that would’ve been great. There were a lot of people that we wanted that were on the board that you ultimately can’t do just because of time. Patty Spivot [Shantel VanSanten] would’ve been great.

Edited by Trini

Comments from the 100th party: '‘The Flash’ 100th Episode: The Cast Reflect on the Past and Tease What’s Coming Next'

Collider: We’ve seen lots of shows with the reluctant hero trope, but you’re really portraying a reluctant villain. How is it for you to play a rather unique take on the standard bad guy?

CHRIS KLEIN: Well, I’m just thrilled that you caught onto that. I’d like to think that it’s rare and I’d like to think that Cicada and Orlin Dwyer is a unique villain. It’s not about reinventing the wheel, it’s about making sure the wheel spins. There has been five really, really, great villains on The Flash and those are big boots to fill. I’m excited to do what I can and really all that starts with Todd Helbing the showrunner, and all the great writers on staff. It’s what they wanted. They wanted, as you say, the reluctant villain, the way that they put it is they wanted the humanistic aspects of this guy to be well known. They really wanted the audience to struggle with the fact that this guy is doing bad things but maybe not be such a bad guy.

More - but different - cast quotes at Bustle: 'This 'The Flash' Villain Has Returned & I Have So Many Questions'

Carlos Valdes was relieved that the writers didn't hold off on getting to the heart of the [...] relationship. "Our writers have been really good about laying out the breadcrumbs for the big over arching mystery that shrouds the season," he says. "There's a big mystery, there's some sort of weird relationship afoot that with every episode, fans will get an opportunity to start piecing it together. I'm excited to watch how fans piece it together and what their theories are and if any of them actually get it right."

'John Wesley Shipp Congratulates The Flash Cast On 100 Episodes'

“Congratulations from the bottom of my heart,” he said. “It took me 28 years to be involved in a Flash 100th episode, and I just couldn’t be more delighted. Having been brought in to play Grant’s father, that hooked me in in a very personal way, with a personal investment in his success. I remember saying to Grant at San Diego Comic-Con, what I hoped for him is that he will have the kind of commercial success that we just missed in 1990, and I couldn’t be more delightful to see that wish come to fruition.”

'The Flash Stars Grant Gustin, Candice Patton, and More Reflect on 100 Episodes'

Candice Patton, who plays Kennedy’s TV mom Iris West, points to the lasting friendships she’s made with costar Jesse L. Martin and former castmates Keiynan Lonsdale and Rick Cosnett.

“These are people for me that will be friends of mine for a lifetime. You gain such amazing relationships on shows like these because you spend so much time with people,” she said, “and I’m really grateful for those people who’ve made this experience for me, these last five years, safe and comfortable.”

More - different - cast quotes; about the 100th script: https://www.bustle.com/p/the-flash-100th-episode-script-was-so-confusing-even-the-stars-didnt-understand-all-the-time-travel-stuff-13193158

Hartley Sawyer, who also joined The Flash last season, had the same problem as Kennedy for the 100th episode. "I think for me having not been here from the beginning, the third time [reading the script] was the charm," he says. "I read it once and I was like, I think I get it? I read it again and I was like, okay, now I think I get it. And I read it a third time and was like, okay. I get it."

He laughs, then adds, "I had familiarity with what happened in Season 1, 2, 3, all that stuff. But when we got the script, I was like, wait. What. Is. Happening? And where are we going after this? There was a lot to wrap my head around but it made sense after a few times."

4 hours ago, Trini said:
17 hours ago, adora721 said:

So, we have Barry's pic for the 100th episode, but no Iris?

I thought they'd put it up later, but nope. I don't understand how they got everyone else who was at the party, but not Candice??

Yeah, sure. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt. It doesn't seem obvious now but they'll explain it and it will make perfect, non-racist sense for their Black female lead to be cut out of the promos for their 100th episode. 

• Love 4

Yeah, sure. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt. It doesn't seem obvious now but they'll explain it and it will make perfect, non-racist sense for their Black female lead to be cut out of the promos for their 100th episode. 

They had put up 2 a day twice before, so putting up Grant and Candice (either separately or together) was a possibility. There's not going to be an explanation; but I'd hope it's a non-racist one since 5 out of the 8 that WB put out featured persons of color.

4 minutes ago, Quark said:

I'm curious, was Jesse L. Martin at The Flash 100 party?

He wasn't.

24 minutes ago, Trini said:

There's not going to be an explanation; but I'd hope it's a non-racist one since 5 out of the 8 that WB put out featured persons of color.

There is a kind of racist that "likes" Black people as long as they stay in their "place" and don't occupy  places of prominence or places typically occupied by White people. Just because the CW_Flash account posted pics of POC doesn't mean their treatment of Candice isn't triggered by some form of bigotry because she's the female lead - a place of prominence usually occupied by a White woman.

Last year, I watched the TV movie, "Behind The Movement"; it's about the early days of Rosa Parks. In one scene, a White customer is praising Rosa for her talents as a seamstress, like praising her to the high heavens. When Rosa leaves the room, we hear the same woman calling another Black person the N word.  Now, if someone only saw her praising Rosa, they'd assume she really "likes" Black people. But the woman only "liked" Rosa because Rosa was "in her place". 

I appreciate and like that you give people the benefit of the doubt, but they don't always deserve it.

ETA: According to several people, including the "Ladies with Gumption" group, the marketing for CP/Iris has been shady and awful for years. This is not new behavior.

Edited by adora721
  • Love 4
28 minutes ago, Trini said:

They had put up 2 a day twice before, so putting up Grant and Candice (either separately or together) was a possibility. There's not going to be an explanation; but I'd hope it's a non-racist one since 5 out of the 8 that WB put out featured persons of color.

He wasn't.

Thanks, I do hope he is alright.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, adora721 said:

There is a kind of racist that "likes" Black people as long as they stay in their "place" and don't occupy  places of prominence or places typically occupied by White people. Just because the CW_Flash account posted pics of POC doesn't mean their treatment of Candice isn't triggered by some form of bigotry because she's the female lead - a place of prominence usually occupied by a White woman.

Wasn't trying to excuse anyone, and I don't need it explained to me, thanks. I'm pointing out that this may be on Warner Bros. since they were the ones in charge of the photos, and started the actual countdown on their account. If The Flash social media didn't post one for Candice it's most likely they didn't get one  from WB. It doesn't make sense they didn't do one for her.

A couple more articles with interviews from the 100th party:

https://www.themarysue.com/cw-the-flash-episode-100-cast-chat/

And how about the girl behind all the secrets, Nora West-Allen? “It’s kinda like worrisome, right?” said Parker-Kennedy, but “from Nora’s perspective, I think she … always thinks she’s doing the right thing.” That sounds a lot like her father.

When the truth about Sherloque comes out, one person I’m sure will be crowing “I told you so” is his rival detective, Ralph Dibny (Hartley Sawyer). “You’re gonna have to wait and see, but Ralph is never one to shy away from strong opinions,” said Sawyer of his elongated alter-ego’s reaction to the news.

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/the-flashs-cast-reacts-to-the-100th-episodes-ultimate-betrayal-and-cicadas-escape

"We come to this wonderful fork in the road and a wonderful turning point in the story. It's really about to get interesting," he continued. "Now, we're at the point in the season where we've learned everything there is to learn. Now, the chase is on and the clock is ticking. It gets really exciting."

"This villain, he's just a gritty, working-class dude who has a goal," Klein explained. "Cicada has nothing to lose. He's not in it for any other reason than it's the right thing to do. And, what an interesting struggle that is. He believes it's the right thing to do. The writers have done a fantastic job of bringing that conflict to the forefront."

18 hours ago, Trini said:

There's not going to be an explanation; but I'd hope it's a non-racist one since 5 out of the 8 that WB put out featured persons of color.

17 hours ago, Trini said:

Wasn't trying to excuse anyone, and I don't need it explained to me, thanks. I'm pointing out that this may be on Warner Bros. since they were the ones in charge of the photos, and started the actual countdown on their account. If The Flash social media didn't post one for Candice it's most likely they didn't get one  from WB. It doesn't make sense they didn't do one for her.

So you're pointing out that... Warner Bros must have a non-racist reason for excluding their black female lead because they promoted the supporting non-Black POCs? I'm sorry but I'm not tracking your argument here. 

In completely non-related news, TheCW lists Candice Patton as third-billed on this show after Danielle Panabacker. Non-racist reasoning behind that, too. At least that's finally settled the question about who is the female lead of this show once and for all. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Trini said:

Scan of a Hollywood Reporter article (Dec. 2018) featuring Candice's stunt double, Rochelle Okoye:

Reading that article and how she hurt herself jumping in heels means everyone should be wearing flats.  It's not like there's an office dress code for Iris and Caitlin to worry about so why bother wearing heels all the time (this was why Caitlin running out to the fight Cicada looked pretty funny).  You don't see people like nurses wear high heels at work - comfort and practicality matters more! 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Katsullivan said:

So you're pointing out that... Warner Bros must have a non-racist reason for excluding their black female lead because they promoted the supporting non-Black POCs? I'm sorry but I'm not tracking your argument here. 

In completely non-related news, TheCW lists Candice Patton as third-billed on this show after Danielle Panabacker. Non-racist reasoning behind that, too. At least that's finally settled the question about who is the female lead of this show once and for all. 

This is not what appears on screen regarding the billing. So I will go with what is on screen because what is on-screen is base on actors contracts. Not CW trying to cater to a certain group of people. 

Also, this treatment of Candice/Iris is one of the reasons the hate for Iris/Candace will always be OTT. The believe that she is expendable and part of a " force diversity" will keep the haters warm at night. I just hope it's not keeping Candice's bank account from getting as fat as possible. 

Edited by SevenStars
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, SevenStars said:

This is not what appears on screen regarding the billing. So I will go with what is on screen because what is on-screen is base on actors contracts. Not CW trying to cater to a certain group of people. 

I agree that what's on screen is what counts, plus statements made by Todd, Greg, notable media outlets, and the CW president all state that Candice is the leading lady. What continues to bother me is how the PR/Marketing division is so blatantly misrepresenting the truth with the DVD copy material, on the CW website, and in social media. 

I work in IT, and we coordinate about all communications and documentation material that goes out to the public about my company's software so that we have one message, not multiple, conflicting messages out in the public arena.

I think Berlanti needs to do more house cleaning and coordination to make sure this stops happening.

CWSocialDirectory.PNG

• Love 3
1 minute ago, adora721 said:

I agree that what's on screen is what counts, plus statements made by Todd, Greg, notable media outlets, and the CW president all state that Candice is the leading lady. What continues to bother me is how the PR/Marketing division is so blatantly misrepresenting the truth with the DVD copy material, on the CW website, and in social media. 

I work in IT, and we coordinate about all communications and documentation material that goes out to the public about my company's software so that we have one message, not multiple, conflicting messages out in the public arena.

I think Berlanti needs to do more house cleaning and coordination to make sure this stops happening.

CWSocialDirectory.PNG

Well, judging by your screenshot, The CW marketing team just plain sucks. For example, I'm surprised for the Riverdale directory that Skeet Ulrich is further down than Charles Melton or even the actor who plays Fangs. This is coming from a very well known actor who should technically be higher up, especially when he has a bigger part than some of those actors. I do think it's more of a network problem, but most people wouldn't venture on to these sites anyway.I consider it someone who just isn't thinking when putting these names down, besides ensuring the lead is the first one on the list. I don't think Berlanti has any control over The CW website. That's up to the network. Berlanti has a lot of control, but not over their website. He can certainly ask them to switch it around, but the intern who creates this page, or the junior staff member for the Marketing department, doesn't technically have to do it. Which sucks, by the way, but as long as Berlanti and company continue to refer to Candice as the Leading Lady, then they're at least not doing NOTHING.

As a Canadian, I cannot even ACCESS this page (it's not like I'm trying to view a video) so the CW website needs a serious upgrade to begin with.

• Love 5
46 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I don't think Berlanti has any control over The CW website. That's up to the network. Berlanti has a lot of control, but not over their website. He can certainly ask them to switch it around, but the intern who creates this page, or the junior staff member for the Marketing department, doesn't technically have to do it. Which sucks, by the way, but as long as Berlanti and company continue to refer to Candice as the Leading Lady, then they're at least not doing NOTHING.

Here's the thing though: The one thing that is consistent across these marketing materials is that Danielle Panabaker is elevated in importance and Candice is diminished. So, whoever is in charge is making sure that DP's importance is inflated in all promotion and marketing material.  On the S1-S2 DVD copy material on the back, DP has prominence over CP. On the CW_Flash account, DP appears in the 100th episode countdown just before Grant. The CW_Flash account retweets DP's tweets. DP gives an interview in which she's called the "leading lady of the Flash" on the cover, but noone in WB or CW marketing tells them to retract the text.  There's something fishy here, and it stinks to high heaven!

Sure, typical viewers may not go check out the CW site's Social Directory, but they buy DVDs and they go on Twitter. What they will find is DP being elevated in importance, but Candice is diminshed or eliminated from marketing promotions.

Edited by adora721
  • Love 1
49 minutes ago, adora721 said:

Here's the thing though: The one thing that is consistent across these marketing materials is that Danielle Panabaker is elevated in importance and Candice is diminished. So, whoever is in charge is making sure that DP's importance is inflated in all promotion and marketing material.  On the S1-S2 DVD copy material on the back, DP has prominence over CP. On the CW_Flash account, DP appears in the 100th episode countdown just before Grant. The CW_Flash account retweets DP's tweets. DP gives an interview in which she's called the "leading lady of the Flash" on the cover, but noone in WB or CW marketing tells them to retract the text.  There's something fishy here, and it stinks to high heaven!

Sure, typical viewers may not go check out the CW site's Social Directory, but they buy DVDs and they go on Twitter. What they will find is DP being elevated in importance, but Candice is diminshed or eliminated from marketing promotions.

I believe this is CW's marketing/PR department catering to the audience they believe CW have. Since CW was born they have been creating programs catering towards WG/WW. They have built a niche using this catering. So I think they believe that they need to keep doing that even when the show and contracts don't reflect what they are marketing. So as long as higher ups don't pressure them to change, they won't. And as long as they are not losing money doing this, higher ups really don't care.

ETA: I think their years of catering to only one group of people is hurting them right now when they want to be part of the trend of being inclusive. Because now people don't want to even give their shows with diversity a chance. When I tell people about BL, they get excited about it but when I tell them it's on CW, they stop listening to me. They don't trust a network that built it's brand on excluding certain audience members from the moment they entered the building. 

Edited by SevenStars
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, adora721 said:

Berlanti doesn't have any control over the CW's publicity machine and even if he did, he has never cared about diversity based on the casting of his shows. I am pretty confident that I read that Geoff Johns is the one who made the decision to cast the West family as African American. Besides Berlanti looked the other way while Kreisberg was sexual harassing the women in his company so I am sure that the way that Candice Patton is being represented by the CW publicity is the least of his concerns.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

Reading that article and how she hurt herself jumping in heels means everyone should be wearing flats. 

Tahmoh Penikett tweeted  about an article in which another stunt woman discusses wearing heels:

"Are there any particular challenges that female stunt actors have to deal with?

Yeah, we’re doing stuff in heels, and in skirts where you can't wear knee pads. Guys are in big coats, and wearing football pads underneath. We get thrown around in skinny jeans. We can't hide anything, and almost never get to wear pads. When we work with the costume department, sometimes we'll have to say, "Okay, for this scene, we really have to hide these pads."

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Katsullivan said:

I don't know anything about their reasons, and neither do you, I just don't know if we can immediately jump to racism.

She's billed correctly where it counts; all of the listings on the CW social media page are wonky. This one list doesn't define the lead female role.

ETA: And yeah; CW marketing sucks in general.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1

"Barry Allen (Grant Gustin) lived a normal life as a perpetually tardy C.S.I. in the Central City Police department. He was adopted by his best friend, Iris West’s (Candice Patton) father, Detective Joe West (Jesse L. Martin) after Barry’s mother was murdered. " No wonder the SBs think it's incest when the copy material posts the "adopted" lie on its official site.

• Love 1

Grant Gustin interview:

"Here and there I might recommend a slight adjustment in the scripts, but I leave it to the writers and producers to make the show they want to make. It's kind of fun to read the scripts when they're fresh to see what kind of surprises the writers have in store for me."

"I try to make the material real that they give me," Gustin said. In case you forgot, Gustin's character was bathed in radiation during a thunderstorm, after which he slipped into a coma and eventually emerged as a man with superhuman speed.

9 hours ago, adora721 said:

CWSocialDirectory.PNG

This looks terrible. DP being higher than CP is bad enough but they couldn't use a pic of their LEAD ACTOR to put next to his name? And why did they put a pic of Barry Allen next to Hartley Sawyer's name??

• Love 1

Great article with a shout out to Iris West, called "Lois Lanes, Ranked"

11. Candice Patton as Iris West, The Flash

Not all Lois Lanes are called Lois Lane. The character is herself an archetype: The erstwhile reporter fascinated with the mysterious new hero in the city. A lot of women have been cast in the role, but The Flash’s Candice Patton, as sometimes dogged reporter Iris West, is certainly one of the best version of the character we’ve seen in a while. Their first interview, a hallmark of the superhero/reporter romance, is teasing and flirtatious, but crucially Iris never seems like a dummy when she doesn’t put together that her best friend and her new hero are the same person.

But Iris is just the right mix of honored, suspicious, and curious. She’s since become the de facto leader of Team Flash and proven that you don’t need to have powers, punch bad guys, or be a genius hacker to be a hero. Doing the right thing, highlighting injustices, and just being a good person are every bit as important as being able to travel back in time to save a parent.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

Reading that article and how she hurt herself jumping in heels means everyone should be wearing flats.  It's not like there's an office dress code for Iris and Caitlin to worry about so why bother wearing heels all the time (this was why Caitlin running out to the fight Cicada looked pretty funny).  You don't see people like nurses wear high heels at work - comfort and practicality matters more! 

Caitlin is the only one who supposed to be in dress code.  Especially when they show her working the lab. I don't know what's going on, but as someone who took lab classes in university and is in nursing school, Caitlin has broken so many dress codes.

More cast quotes: 'The Flash 100th Episode and the Return of a Major Villain'

"I feel like we've kind of always known [he'd be back]," said Cavanagh. "That was the reason for me to sign on to the show ... You don't want to overdo it, but I think Batman is best when Joker's not too far away. And Superman is great when Lex Luthor is the foil. And I think Flash is no different. When there's the threat of Reverse Flash, that quickens the heartbeat a little bit, and I think it's good for our show."

• Love 3
On 12/5/2018 at 2:45 PM, Trini said:

Maybe you didn't need the explanation, but your "benefit of the doubt comment" might have led other people to need an explanation of why having 5/8 PoC included, but not CP doesn't mean that there weren't racist reasons behind it.

I was glad for the clarification, honestly, because too many people fall to that "explanation" as proof of no racism while completely missing the whole "uppity" part that have plagued us for years.  Think "The Butler" and "The Help" vs reality with Obama or Meghan Markle now.  There is a HUGE difference in the kind of racism you get when you occupy a space that whiteness has deemed "it's own".

On another note, can I just say how cool it is that CP's double has the last name of Okoye (given the success of the character with the same first name from Black Panther)?

Edited by phoenics
  • Love 4

Helbing quotes:

After seeing how embracing Oliver’s personality and abilities affects Barry — he even growls, “You have failed this city!” — Iris is concerned that the man she loves might be changing. “Promise you’ll come back to me,” she says, urging him not to become Oliver Queen. Is that request a hint of ominous things to come? Will Oliver’s darkness seep into the speedster? “There is an episode a little bit down the line where Barry deals a little bit with that,” Flash executive producer Todd Helbing told reporters at a press screening.

The exchange between Barry and Iris “just speaks to everything that they’ve experienced this year as parents for the first time, in that it really speaks to their relationship, how much they’re in love,” the EP explained. “Barry says, ‘Whatever mask I’m wearing, I’ll always reveal my true face.’ I just think it really speaks to who they are as a couple, and it sets up what they’re going to have to go through in the back half of our season.”

Haaaa! - Okay, Todd. When has anything from the crossovers really affected the shows afterward? (Only the wedding because it had to.) We already went through Season 3, you can't scare me with talk of 'darkness'! Taking this with several grains of salt. Plus the back half of every season has been 'darker' than the first, so not new. It's encouraging that in the same breath he reiterates Barry & Iris' love, though.

Same quotes at EW: The Flash boss teases how the 'Elseworlds' switcheroo affects Barry going forward