Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Britain's Best Home Cook

BBC Lines Up Britain’s Best Cook Hosts Alongside Ex-Bake Off Judge Mary Berry

The BBC has set the full judging line-up for its forthcoming food format Britain’s Best Cook starring former Great British Bake Off star Mary Berry and Strictly Come Dancing host Claudia Winkleman.  Dan Doherty, who is current chef director at hot London restaurant Duck and Waffle, is joining the show alongside former market trader Chris Bavin, who run The Naked Grocer and has appeared on shows such as Eat Well For Less and The Truth About Meat.

Over the eight episodes, 10 contestants will need to demonstrate skill under pressure and individual flair, as they’re asked to serve the perfect version of dishes that define modern British home cooking as well as create their special takes on well-loved classics.

Britain’s Best Cook is due to air later this year on BBC One.

Edited by RealityCheck

A place to discuss episodes

Is anyone else watching this?  I love the camaraderie of the contestants.  I don’t love the editing which gives away who is going home from the beginning of each episode.  

• Like 2

Yes, I am watching and enjoying this series.  Anything with Mary Berry!  Also really like all the contestants.  There's just something about British cooking shows!

• Like 1

I missed this thread, but I've been watching this & really enjoying it. Very talented cooks, great to see Mary again, I like the other 2 judges, & Claudia (who I knew from The Great British Sewing Bee) is very likable. Is there going to be a season 2?

I was really rooting for Phillip, oh well. That was a very low key reveal, nobody there but the 3 contestants, Claudia & the judges. Seemed a little anticlimactic. 

This is now on Hulu for US audiences. I just finished episode one but, so far, I really like it. Mary Berry is wonderful as always. I don’t know the other judges or the host but they seem to have the same light touch Mary does. The contestants also seem really nice and get along well. 

The cuts to commercials on Hulu are really abrupt. 

Just finished this on Hulu. Really enjoyed it. Same feel as GBBO - really nice contestants, judges and host. I don't think there was any one of them I didn't like. Realized in the final 3 I really didn't care who won - they were just all great.

Anybody know where I might have seen judge Dan before? IMDB only listed one other thing and that wasn't it. But he looked SO familiar to me.

11 hours ago, cherbitrary said:

Anybody know where I might have seen judge Dan before? IMDB only listed one other thing and that wasn't it. But he looked SO familiar to me.

I wondered the same thing when I watched. I tried to research but didn't come up with anything substantial. For all intents, this is is first TV role. I'm kinda wondering if he's had small spots on other TV shows. I think he's worked for Jamie Oliver or other celeb chefs before.

22 hours ago, lefawn said:

The cuts to commercials on Hulu are really abrupt. 

So, so weird how they do this. I kept thinking my net had cut out. 

I really enjoyed this show, though not quite as much as GBBO. Predicted most of the cuts due to editing, too, but that's ok - this is great late-night relaxation TV. 

I just discovered this on Hulu and was devastated to learn that it's a new show with only one season! I wanted more! This is the type of cooking competition I want. I hate when the contestants are bitchy because in a competition like this, being a dick to your competitors won't help you win. I liked that this group got along and the drama came from if a dish didn't turn out right. The judges were absolutely lovely and so was the host. This was just a positive, light hearted show that taught me so much. As an american I wasn't aware of a lot of things they made and it was nice experiencing a sunday roast, for example. I hope season two keeps the light tone they had here. I dread the inevitable American remake which will likely be overly dramatic.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2018 at 12:21 AM, KnotsLanding said:

I just discovered this on Hulu and was devastated to learn that it's a new show with only one season! I wanted more! This is the type of cooking competition I want. I hate when the contestants are bitchy because in a competition like this, being a dick to your competitors won't help you win. I liked that this group got along and the drama came from if a dish didn't turn out right. The judges were absolutely lovely and so was the host. This was just a positive, light hearted show that taught me so much. As an american I wasn't aware of a lot of things they made and it was nice experiencing a sunday roast, for example. I hope season two keeps the light tone they had here. I dread the inevitable American remake which will likely be overly dramatic.

Do you watch The Great British Bake Off? (or The Great British Baking show as it's known in the US)

I just started watching this show so I'm way behind everyone else. I was surprised that not one but TWO cooks decided to make duck when they'd never made it before. It pained me to see Dippa burning the crap out of the skin (and somehow still leaving the middle uncooked).

I love that everyone lives together and has access to cookbooks in the evenings. The only thing I kind of dislike so far is the safe cooks being able to offer advice to whoever is in the cook off at the end.

I thought Claudia was a good host on the Great British Sewing Bee so it's nice to see her again.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

I actually just found this show when I happened to read an article about Dan,and it mentioned this show.  I tuned in because of Mary Berry, and I'm glad I did.  The contestants were lovely, the format is interesting, and I really enjoyed it.  Looking forward to the next series. 

Mary has had rotten luck regarding male co-judges. :-/ (I misremembered, she wasn't in the canceled GABS season.)

Dan Doherty: BBC Celebrity Chef Hit by Sexual Harassment Allegations from Female Kitchen Staff
Chef Dan Doherty Quits BBC Series Following Sexual Misconduct Investigation

BBC spokesperson “We’ll be appointing a new judge for Britain’s Best Home Cook to join the rest of the line-up. We’re looking forward to a new series which will be back on air in 2020,

Edited by sum