Type keyword(s) to search

The Mysteries Of Laura - General Discussion

• Start Topic

It was the best of episodes, it was the worst of episodes...

...it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

Fast paced and interesting case that fizzled out at Hudson U. (not that I would ever want to see an SVU cross-over *cringe*).

Jake lies to Laura about his medical condition and lies about the coverup. Triple double cringe. How can we ever trust you now, Jake?

• Love 3

Jake lies to Laura about his medical condition and lies about the coverup. Triple double cringe. How can we ever trust you now, Jake?

I honestly don't see the point of this subplot.

• Love 1

Fast paced and interesting case that fizzled out at Hudson U. (not that I would ever want to see an SVU cross-over *cringe*).

Good ol' Hudson U. Where almost every student or professor is a murder suspect or a victim.

I liked everything about the episode except the final scene. The mystery was fast-paced and had me intrigued. I really thought the leak could have been an inside job by a corrupt police officer. I even liked Santini (LOL) this episode. Although I'm not sure she would allow herself to be blackmailed by Laura, or that she honestly thinks that no one at the 2 would ever find out what happened to her at her last precinct. 

The final scene: why is the showing setting up a flirty, intimate reunion between Jake and Laura? Especially when he continues to lie to her. I understand that he doesn't want to lose his job or be relegated to desk work, which is why he didn't want to tell his boss about the CT. But he is a liability to other officers and to innocent citizens if he faints or has a seizure while he's out chasing a suspect or doing something else that requires good health. And what about Laura and the boys? If he has a medical condition that's potentially permanent--or fatal--as the father of two boys, shouldn't he make sure that things are in place to take care of his sons if he is deemed disabled? Or if he dies?

• Love 3

I truly thought the episode would end with Laura's curiosity getting the better of her, and us seeing her plug in the printer (while alone) and check out all the remaining info from the queue... and see her husband's email.

To have it instead be what it was, with Jake lying straight to her face and not seeing anything wrong with that, given their previous history of him lying to her - it just annoyed me. I don't want her back together with him. He's so flippant about his former behavior and he keeps whining about how she brings it up, like she'll neeeeeever forgive him. Guess what, pal? She doesn't have to if she doesn't want to. And even if she forgives you, that doesn't mean you're automatically back together with her. She has the right to never trust you like that again.

Grrrr... he pisses me off. The show's making it tough for me to root for their relationship. 

I did like the plot involving the undercover cops getting killed and Billy being at risk. That was exciting and interesting. And Meredith taking down the guy who was aiming to shoot Billy - that was the stuff of awesome. She just dove right in and grabbed the guy. No one messes with her partner.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 5

I honestly don't see the point of this subplot.

So that she finds out, gets pissed, Jake goes to the hospital and she realizes she loves him and can't live without him. Vomit.

I thought this was a great COTW though. Online bullying and trolling is all too real and while this was the extreme of that, it's still good to highlight it.

• Love 1

I'm sort of hoping against hope that this subplot (and the existence of the captain) is their way of dealing with whatever character polling they've done and found out that people found her character unsympathetic. Specifically, I'm hoping that they're trying to prove to the people who think she's being too hard on her ex that her ex is a dog who actively tries to weaken her (while she's caring for both him and their twin sons) so he won't have to reform his behavior, and no sane person would let him back in her life.

Which is a shame, because the actor is really charming. I just wish he were in a role I didn't dislike so much. 

• Love 2

Blergh. I don't like triangles. But I like Laura--when she's being a crime fighter--not when she's involved with anyone romantically.

Same here, it's the weakest part of the show, especially this season.

• Love 2

So, wait, one guy supports her, spends quality time with her kids, and tries to give her space to make her own decisions without pressure,* and the other, the one who was off boffing other people while she was home taking care of their toddler twin boys, negs her constantly about her perceptions and her choices, and the only reason she didn't go behind door number two is because she doesn't think he's honest? They practically don't let the man get through an entire scene without making some kind of snotty comment about what a cold, unnatural woman she is for having boundaries, ffs. That didn't send any flags up? 

*Well, at least until he gave her overnight to make a long-term commitment or he was leaving town. Because god forbid she take a path without a man at the end of it.

• Love 2

*Well, at least until he gave her overnight to make a long-term commitment or he was leaving town. Because god forbid she take a path without a man at the end of it.

If she really loved the young guy with the fake gray hair, she would tell him to take that once-in-a-lifetime dream job, and that she would start applying for positions in Vegas. Jake's health issues, IRL, would imply that he would be soon taking disability anyway and could also relocate to be near the kids.

Sorry. I forgot. This is a fantasy.

• Love 1

Yeah. I mean, on the one hand I'm glad she chose Tony because Jake is still the same guy who cheated on her when they were married and that's never going to change. On the other hand she seems to have made that choice on the rebound and poor Tony is going to give up his dream job for a woman who's probably still going to be pining over her ex. Sucks for Tony.

Ideally, she puts Jake out of her mind as any possible romantic partner and Jake goes back to being police chief and they get rid of Santiani and put the show back the way it was during Season 1, with Billy as Laura's partner. I just thought that dynamic worked better. Her being partners with Jake is dumb and contrived.

I did like the mystery in this episode though. I can usually figure them out at least halfway through (it usually tends to be the first person they interview then temporarily dismiss as a suspect). I was betting on either the husband or wife of the victim in the 3-way marriage being the killer after finding out he was still sleeping with his ex. 

Edited by iMonrey

Health decisions are personal and not communal IMO. Not a good criterion for her decision.

True, although a difficult argument to make in this case when he had her waiting on him hand and foot while he convalesced. Still, he could have righteously told her to mind her own business. Instead, he lied, about something she made pretty clear was a dealbreaker. That's a pretty good criterion for a decision, JMO.

Aren't they divorced?  If so, Laura really should not have identified herself as Jake's wife when the doctor's office called on his phone.  Although that's a fairly minor quibble compared to all the lies he's told her.

I thought the solution to the mystery was kind of a cheat, having it be someone we just met in the last little bit.

• Love 1

A perfume mogul is killed in a savage manner and the investigation yields no prime suspect. Meanwhile, Laura and Jake are at odds when they try to define the current state of their relationship.

Yep, 2-parter. I figured something had to be going on when it was almost over and the case still wasn't put to bed. They wouldn't leave off with a mystery explosion that seemingly killed the main suspect. Plus they had quite the heavy hitters in guests stars like Stockard Channing and Jerry O'Connell. I still didn't think it was the son, even after the explosion and the note. Looks like someone framed him. Which should have been obvious when they found the bloody lab coat stuffed into the ventilation pipe. Who'd be stupid enough to do that, and then leave it there? Duh.

• Love 2

Yep, 2-parter. I figured something had to be going on when it was almost over and the case still wasn't put to bed. They wouldn't leave off with a mystery explosion that seemingly killed the main suspect. Plus they had quite the heavy hitters in guests stars like Stockard Channing and Jerry O'Connell. I still didn't think it was the son, even after the explosion and the note. Looks like someone framed him. Which should have been obvious when they found the bloody lab coat stuffed into the ventilation pipe. Who'd be stupid enough to do that, and then leave it there? Duh.

I agree. Everything started falling into place way too easily for it to really be the son. It definitely felt like a frameup to me. At the moment, I'm suspecting the lawyer. If she didn't do it or have it done, she knows who did - and it isn't the son. That's just too convenient.

• Love 2

I agree. Everything started falling into place way too easily for it to really be the son. It definitely felt like a frameup to me. At the moment, I'm suspecting the lawyer. If she didn't do it or have it done, she knows who did - and it isn't the son. That's just too convenient.

Definitely too convenient, at the end I knew he wasn't 'dead' in the explosion with the way it played out.

Ugh! Was the purpose of this episode to make Laura realize she loves Jake after all? I hope Tony still has time to accept that job offer in Vegas. I really, really want Laura to choose Tony over Jake - or at least remain steadfast in her decision not to get involved romantically with Jake again. 

• Love 3

Yeah, Laura isn't coming across too well with her "I'm not thinking about him (Tony) at all" just weeks after talking him into giving up his dream job and sticking around New York to keep their relationship going. It's reminding me of the Scrubs debacle when JD convinced Elliot to give up her relationship with Scott Foley's character and come back to him, only to immediately think to himself "I don't want her anymore!" He came across as a total jerk because of it, and Laura seems to be taking that same path. Pity, I was just starting to warm up to the character.

I have to say, I was surprised that Stockard Channing's character wasn't the culprit in this two-parter, but in the end I'm glad. I think her character has potential, and wouldn't mind her returning to stir things up from time to time.

• Love 4

Ugh! Was the purpose of this episode to make Laura realize she loves Jake after all? I hope Tony still has time to accept that job offer in Vegas. I really, really want Laura to choose Tony over Jake - or at least remain steadfast in her decision not to get involved romantically with Jake again.

Yeah, Laura isn't coming across too well with her "I'm not thinking about him (Tony) at all" just weeks after talking him into giving up his dream job and sticking around New York to keep their relationship going. It's reminding me of the Scrubs debacle when JD convinced Elliot to give up her relationship with Scott Foley's character and come back to him, only to immediately think to himself "I don't want her anymore!" He came across as a total jerk because of it, and Laura seems to be taking that same path. Pity, I was just starting to warm up to the character.

The romance is the least interesting aspect, they were better last season when they were just friendly exes doing their jobs but it's gotten annoying ever since the contrived Jake's medical plot convenient condition.

• Love 2

I'm really not feeling the Jake situation at all. His campaign tactics have just proved that he hasn't become a different, less manipulative, more honest man. And sadly, since she knows about him now and it's working on her, Laura has apparently actually gotten less smart.

I really like the actor who plays Jake. I think he's made the character much less slimy than he was written. But boy, I really don't want them together.

Can't we just have her getting the validating attention of a man offscreen and put the time into cases instead?

• Love 3

I streamed season 1 on Netflix when I needed something to do and the show was better then expected except for the exhusbsnd crud. I actually hated him at times and I catch an occasion episode of season 2 this being one of them and I think I still do. The show isn't bad when they focus on the group or a particular crime but when they do romance..,I am out.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

Even though I've been divorced for 25 years, I find myself wanting to defend Jake to all the naysayers (including Laura). I guess it's because he's physically attractive and, relative to others who have difficulty telling the truth, he's not that bad.

Dang!  I never knew Jerry O'Connell has such a hot looking bod!  Wow!  He plays crazy and desperate real well.  I liked how Laura still managed to keep her cool and try to solve the mystery even with a desperate, drug-fueled, rage-fueled guy in her house.  I enjoyed Jake saving Laura's life.  This man is so in love with her!

To put my one cent in, I don't think Laura should go back to Jake.  One thing Laura always hates is Jake lying to her and he knows that and he still did it again when he didn't tell her of the disease he has.  Jake is an idiot; never leave your cell phone lying around when your ex-wife is nearby.  Right now, Laura is so grateful that she is alive that she thinks she might be falling for Jake again.  I hope the rose-tinted glasses will fall off her eyes soon concerning Jake.

• Love 1

The city's leading sports surgeon is killed and evidence points to members of a men's rights group. Meanwhile, Billy and Meredith progress to the next step of their relationship.

Oh, ffs. Awesome. Jake's not a homicidal MRA who can't hold a job. Obviously, he's a total prince. I can't believe Laura was being so humorless about him being unfaithful and then using his access to her through her job to relentlessly neg her about it. Also, didn't her father have an epiphany about this and admit she did the right thing at the end of last season?

Edited by Julia
  • Love 4

I was expecting the wife of the jogger to be the killer because there's a pattern on this show where the perp almost always turns out to be the first person they talk to. I missed the part with the grandmother at the very beginning.

I really don't understand what's driving this move towards forcing Laura and Jake back together; do the show runners think this is what the audience wants? Everyone at work is telling Laura what a "prince" Jake is and her own father is pressuring her to reunite with him. Poor Tony; he deserved better.

• Love 3

I really don't understand what's driving this move towards forcing Laura and Jake back together; do the show runners think this is what the audience wants?

Retooling, I guess?

• Love 1

Poor sweet, gorgeous Tony. I'll go to Vegas with you!

I actually had to stop watching the episode when it was obvious Laura wasn't going to the game (or anywhere else) with Tony. Retooling is right. So Jake is a prince now? Not a cheating liar who lied to Laura only a few weeks ago about his health?

Don't know if I'll watch anymore. The cases are only so-so anyway.

• Love 2

Retooling is right. So Jake is a prince now? Not a cheating liar who lied to Laura only a few weeks ago about his health?

Don't know if I'll watch anymore. The cases are only so-so anyway.

I think there's a few more episodes left, but yeah, I burst out laughing when I heard that.

Edited by Free

This was the first episode I can remember where we never actually met the killer until the very end. Didn't follow the usual formula and I liked that. And it turned out Max did have a Valentine's date after all! 

Unfortunately the Jake and Laura stuff is just killing the show. 

• Love 1

I loved that Max actually had a Valentine.  :)  I loved that Santiani's kid sends her balloons on Valentine's Day.  The mystery was interesting, and I always love seeing Enrico Colantani (not sure I spelled that right) on my screen.  But seriously, is there anyone who has watched television more than once in a blue moon who didn't see it coming a million miles away that Jake wasn't going to be around to be Laura's "fallback" guy for Valentine's Day?  Sheesh.  Of course she was going to end up alone - she sent the right guy packing.  And I really really really hate the stupid trope about everyone and his brother, most of whom honestly probably could not care less, having to push the hero/heroine towards his/her "one true love."  But the whole will they/won't they thing has long ago worn out its welcome for me.  And I cannot stand busybody neighbors/coworkers/friends/sometimes total strangers who take one look and just "know."  Ugh.

• Love 4

But that's the tension for Laura's character that makes her so relatable to us women. Like us, she's a working woman, she's a mother, and she's a character in a particularly ridiculous Meg Ryan movie. And she makes stupid, stupid decisions about her life, because this is a dramedy, and the people who make this stuff think we want her to be punished for being more interesting than we are (which is quite the respectful set of assumptions).

If this were a genre show, she'd be a waif with a huge head who is more than a mere human, and everyone would be lining up to tell us how sooperspeshul she is. And everyone wonders why no-one watches broadcast.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 2