Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E23: Finding Fillion

In order to impress the other moms at school, Katie, Taylor and Oliver travel to New York to track down Nathan Fillion at a "Firefly" convention, so Katie can convince him to attend the school's spring gala.

Nathan Fillion makes everything better. I am with Oliver, why the hell didn't Firefly get 2 seasons? This was a really funny and enjoyable episode. I knew it was Taylor who got the motel room from the start. I think it's perfect stated: "Teen age sex, everyone acts like they know what it is, think everyone is doing, but has no idea what it really is." Though, seriously ABC, you know there are a lot of sci-girls in the world, just like most video game players are women. I've seen plenty of "geeks" with hot girlfriends over the years and I was he ones who went: "What am I doing wrong?" 

• Love 8
5 hours ago, readster said:

Nathan Fillion makes everything better. I am with Oliver, why the hell didn't Firefly get 2 seasons? This was a really funny and enjoyable episode. I knew it was Taylor who got the motel room from the start. I think it's perfect stated: "Teen age sex, everyone acts like they know what it is, think everyone is doing, but has no idea what it really is." Though, seriously ABC, you know there are a lot of sci-girls in the world, just like most video game players are women. I've seen plenty of "geeks" with hot girlfriends over the years and I was he ones who went: "What am I doing wrong?" 

Geekfests without girls has been a running gag with TBBT's comic book store and comic conventions. The misperception just won't die.

Ages ago when I was a sub, I asked a class once to write their definition of "making out." They all stated that adults don't know what it really means  to teenagers -- and then provided 30 different "official" definitions.

• Love 4

I've never watched Castle, but I can understand how it lasted so many seasons. Nathan Fillion is just charming. I'm so glad Katy got him to attend the gala, because we (hopefully!) get to see him on an elephant!

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, MaryMitch said:

I've never watched Castle, but I can understand how it lasted so many seasons. Nathan Fillion is just charming. I'm so glad Katy got him to attend the gala, because we (hopefully!) get to see him on an elephant!

Dollywood Style too!

• Love 1

This show has really become one of the best sitcoms on TV IMO. Last week's episode was really clever and this week's was a delightful surprise. Nathan Fillion acting like he was one of Taylor's parents was absolutely hilarious. Trip is a dim-witted but lovable delight. NYC and the Big Apple are two of his favorite cities! ("He's in a loop.") And how every time someone says the word "trip" he responds "That's me!"

Has anyone else noticed that Angela's iPhone case has a glass of wine on the back of it? I'm coveting that. It's got some sort of gel in it like those novelty spill glasses.

Link 

• Love 9
(edited)

I only came for Nathan, but I rather liked the program--even if it does hit every trope.

I liked the Katy actress in Mike and Molly- great comic timing.

And my online name is what we female science fiction fans were called back in the day. My first World Science Convention was TorCON II in 1973, where the "Women in Science Fiction" panel was cancelled for a panel on dirty jokes, and there was a Georgette Heyer Tea Room on the basis that her works took place in an alternate universe, and thus were SF/F.

Nowadays easily half of the fen at cons are women. Cosplayers run more like 75% female. At writer's conventions (mostly fan run) slightly over half the published and aspiring writers are women.

Edited by femmefan1946
  • Love 3

This was one of my favorite episodes so far.  I never watched "Firefly" but knew that many scifi fans have never gotten over its cancellation.  I never knew Nathan Fillion, but now want to know more.  Knowing he'll be coming back to TV in another series is making me curious.  I thought this episode was a very creative way to advertise his new show.  With episodes like this and "Sliding Sweaters" I'm really starting to like this show.  I hope that means it's finding its stride.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Has anyone else noticed that Angela's iPhone case has a glass of wine on the back of it? I'm coveting that. It's got some sort of gel in it like those novelty spill glasses.

Link 

I noticed! I actually rewound my DVR to get a good look at it; thanks for the link!

• Love 1
On 5/9/2018 at 10:58 PM, readster said:

this was a relief after last week. very good episode.

• Love 2

I'm glad it's renewed too, but I have to say I certainly hope they dial down the kids' disrespect of their parents. This last episode was just too much for me. Anna Kat and the older girl are the worst. If I spoke to my father the way Anna Kat did, (hey, Google...) my father would have slapped me across the face and it would have been well deserved.

I hope they quit showing the dad as some boob. He's a college professor and is supposed to be an educated man. He's providing for his family with his wife at home and they should show SOME respect and gratitude towards him...disrespect is just not entertaining to me from children to parents.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, floridamom said:

I hope they quit showing the dad as some boob. He's a college professor and is supposed to be an educated man. He's providing for his family with his wife at home and they should show SOME respect and gratitude towards him...disrespect is just not entertaining to me from children to parents.

Greg get treated with respect? Hey got tenure and they stuck him in a former utility closet with the most annoying GA possible. Why would he be treated with respect? 

• Love 1

Work situations are what they are. His children still need to treat their father with respect. I don't like when TV shows portray disrespect. Children are watching the show and think it's 'ok' to interact with their parents in such a way because they see it on TV. Somewhat desensitizing it. JMHO

• Love 8

Agreed that Anna Kat needs to be toned down...there is a fine line between funny and obnoxious. 

Speaking of Anna Kat, are we really supposed to believe she'd be into football? The little girl who washes her entire ARMS like she's a surgeon? Or has she been magically cured now?

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, SnarkySheep said:

Agreed that Anna Kat needs to be toned down...there is a fine line between funny and obnoxious. 

Speaking of Anna Kat, are we really supposed to believe she'd be into football? The little girl who washes her entire ARMS like she's a surgeon? Or has she been magically cured now?

Anna-Kat's ADD has been completely forgotten. I think the showrunners didn't know where to take the main reason why they moved to the house in the first place. Why Greg was so focused on getting tenure. Why the kids sold out to the "in crowds" and why Katie has been doing very stupid stuff to "fit in". Now, it all comes off as: "So, she just become mini Katie and she is cured." Similar to Taylor's constant intelligence changing, when she is by herself, she can't string 2 syllabus words. When she is with her dumber than dumb boyfriend, she can secretly get credit card information and book hotel rooms. Don't get me started on Oliver sliding between mini Kevin O'leary and being completely oblivious on how the world works. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, readster said:

I think the showrunners didn't know where to take the main reason why they moved to the house in the first place. Why Greg was so focused on getting tenure. Why the kids sold out to the "in crowds" and why Katie has been doing very stupid stuff to "fit in".

Yes!  And that's too bad becuase newer viewers might be thinking,  "Why don't they just move to a less expensive town?"

• Love 3