Type keyword(s) to search

Finals, Training Camp and Social Media

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I don’t follow Dayton on social media, but based on the posts, I’m assuming that she posted that she was hired to be a dancer on a cruise line (or made it past the first round)? Good for her! If she has aspirations to make dance an actual career, then I definitely think dancing on a cruise line is more impressive on a resume than being a DCC.

ETA: A girl who I went to college with danced on a cruise liner before dancing with Disney in Orlando. She loved it! 

Edited by Jess14
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, ByTor said:

Everybody seems to know someone who has done work on a cruise ship, I feel so left out! :)

Same here...I don't know anyone who has worked on one before either :) 

• Love 4
41 minutes ago, ByTor said:

Everybody seems to know someone who has done work on a cruise ship, I feel so left out! :)

That’s how I felt when the conversation about Cersten heated up a while back, and it seemed like everyone here was a nurse or worked in healthcare in some capacity. I get nauseous at the sight of a lot blood, so I can’t relate to all of the nurses here lol.

• Love 10
40 minutes ago, Jess14 said:

That’s how I felt when the conversation about Cersten heated up a while back, and it seemed like everyone here was a nurse or worked in healthcare in some capacity. I get nauseous at the sight of a lot blood, so I can’t relate to all of the nurses here lol.

lol...yeh..I'm one of the nurses, but I never really got involved in the Cersten conversations :) 

• Love 2
(edited)

I hope there's no injuries (serious or otherwise) this year.  The girls are already under so much pressure that they shouldn't have to worry about being hurt.  Miranda was hurt during the second week last year, when they were learning jump splits.  When she said "I don't want something so small as an injury to keep me back from it" worried me because I don't want these girls to get hurt, ignore the injury because they're afraid that, if they say they're hurt, they'll get cut and then have something worse happen (and one that might be dance career-ending) because they ignored their initial injury to continue in Training Camp.

Tessa had a Training Camp-ending injury with a torn ACL (I can't quite remember) in season 6 (then had other medical issues in the next few years) and Rachel Leann had something similar happen in terms of TC medical drama, I think it was the year before (please correct me because I liked her).  Those two were the first ones I could think of off the top of my head.  Christina also had issues with her legs, I think an injured hamstring as well as not being flexible, in season 9.  Brooke got injured when someone screwed up in the kick line.  Were there any others that I'm missing?

Edited by EricaShadows
  • Love 2

Erica had a neck or shoulder injury that kept her out of most of training camp last year. Ashley also had an issue with her knee. I remember that she had to be pulled out of a show group performance. Cassie’s injury wasn’t a training camp injury, but she also had a knee issue. Simone was also frequently out of the kick line last year with an injury. 

While it definitely sucks for a rookie candidate to get injured during training camp, the team seems like they’re fairly accommodating regarding injuries otherwise. 

I also worry about the girls ignoring injury's.  I also worry about their mental and emotional being.  Other teams have TC for 3 or 4 days and can pick great teams.  Two months of TC is way too much for these girls.  Doing hair and full make up everyday, dancing full out in front of Kelli everyday, worrying if you will get cut everyday, face breaking out cause of full make up on while sweating hard at TC etc.  All for CMT!!!  Really is wrong to these girls, it takes the love of dancing out of it for them.  We all know a lot of these girls are just brought to TC for CMT.  That is so wrong to do and yet they keep doing it year after year and do not feel the least bit bad about it.  Even with two months of  TC look at all the problems with girls they had last year so that doesn't guarantee a good team of girls.

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, 5678Pixie said:

I also worry about the girls ignoring injury's.  I also worry about their mental and emotional being.  Other teams have TC for 3 or 4 days and can pick great teams.  Two months of TC is way too much for these girls.  Doing hair and full make up everyday, dancing full out in front of Kelli everyday, worrying if you will get cut everyday, face breaking out cause of full make up on while sweating hard at TC etc.  All for CMT!!!  Really is wrong to these girls, it takes the love of dancing out of it for them.  We all know a lot of these girls are just brought to TC for CMT.  That is so wrong to do and yet they keep doing it year after year and do not feel the least bit bad about it.  Even with two months of  TC look at all the problems with girls they had last year so that doesn't guarantee a good team of girls.

This is why I could not imagine trying out for the team now. All the stress of trying to be the perfect DCC 24/7/365 would drive me crazy. I probably would end up getting cut because the stress would get to me, and I would say or do something to piss off Judy and especially Kelli and Charlotte.

Plus the expense of it.  Not being able to have a job during TC, probably had to quit the job you had.  If from out of town you would have to get an apartment plus the hassle of eating right everyday.  The stress of moving is always hard on a person.  There is no reason for TC to last 2 months other that for CMT.  

• Love 4
2 hours ago, EricaShadows said:

I hope there's no injuries (serious or otherwise) this year.  The girls are already under so much pressure that they shouldn't have to worry about being hurt.  Miranda was hurt during the second week last year, when they were learning jump splits.  When she said "I don't want something so small as an injury to keep me back from it" worried me because I don't want these girls to get hurt, ignore the injury because they're afraid that, if they say they're hurt, they'll get cut and then have something worse happen (and one that might be dance career-ending) because they ignored their initial injury to continue in Training Camp.

Tessa had a Training Camp-ending injury with a torn ACL (I can't quite remember) in season 6 (then had other medical issues in the next few years) and Rachel Leann had something similar happen in terms of TC medical drama, I think it was the year before (please correct me because I liked her).  Those two were the first ones I could think of off the top of my head.  Christina also had issues with her legs, I think an injured hamstring as well as not being flexible, in season 9.  Brooke got injured when someone screwed up in the kick line.  Were there any others that I'm missing?

Season 5 had three vets out for injuries at their first home pre-season game. Ally, Jordan C, and Brittany Evans were out with injuries. Lauren, Cassie and Nicole missed at least one home game performance due to injuries. Brittney S. was out for a short time due to a back injury.

2 minutes ago, KarenS284 said:

I couldn't figure out how to post a pic so I linked Keyra's instastory below. She posted about why she thought she was cut this year.

https://www.instagram.com/stories/keyraford/

I think this a cover up for what really happened. She probably got cut for weight and bad attitude. I could see her being called into the office for missing an appearance and not like being called out for it by Judy and Kelli. Just like Erica going around saying she left the team due to an injury, but she was cut for breaking the rules when she was in Canton.

1 hour ago, KarenS284 said:

I couldn't figure out how to post a pic so I linked Keyra's instastory below. She posted about why she thought she was cut this year.

https://www.instagram.com/stories/keyraford/

I hate to ask.... I’m probably the last human that doesn’t have Instagram. Can you give me a brief summary? I don’t want you to have to do a ton of work.  Did she think it was weight? A result of something from last season? A dance issue? Panels? I SO appreciate it! 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, CheerGoddess said:

Yes, she said word on the street is that she missed one appearance and that’s why she got cut. Wondering how they’ll address her cut when the show finally airs! 

Thank you so much! 

• Love 2

36148467_489961464775696_4836577296389242880_n.thumb.jpg.aa335fcaf5f83928eb4c920aab5aca10.jpg36148711_2256433504383021_3035201560712839168_n.thumb.jpg.a1c8049a70c94782b57b49efbbcf763f.jpg

25 minutes ago, Taralightner said:

I hate to ask.... I’m probably the last human that doesn’t have Instagram. Can you give me a brief summary? I don’t want you to have to do a ton of work.  Did she think it was weight? A result of something from last season? A dance issue? Panels? I SO appreciate it! 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, scorpio1031 said:

Pony tail alert!!! I repeat pony tail alert!  It must be so warm they get to wear their hair up tonight.  

I saw that I wonder if Kelli is still on vacation 

11 minutes ago, scorpio1031 said:

Pony tail alert!!! I repeat pony tail alert!  It must be so warm they get to wear their hair up tonight.  

Kelli has been posting pix from her home tonight so looks like she isn't there and seeing the pony tails that would mean no CMT tonight.  It's a good night for the girls at TC.

• Love 2
On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:38 AM, DCCFAN71 said:

I think Kashara's hair is pretty in that pic too but keep in mind that most times these girls have extensions intertwined. 

I often wondered how many of these girls wear extensions.  The girls with long hair all have gorgeous thick hair.  Anyone have any idea who wears extensions on the team?

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Annmarie1111 said:

I often wondered how many of these girls wear extensions.  The girls with long hair all have gorgeous thick hair.  Anyone have any idea who wears extensions on the team?

Kelsey had hers removed when she retired from the team this year.

6 minutes ago, Annmarie1111 said:

Thanks for the response.  I didn't know she wore extensions...hence the short hair now

After taking her extensions out she got her hair cut even shorter.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, 5678Pixie said:

Totally agree with you.  And could be the reason for the drop in audition numbers over the years

• Love 1
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Annmarie1111 said:

Totally agree with you.  And could be the reason for the drop in audition numbers over the years

CMT is the main reason the audition numbers have dropped.  CMT even knows that, they told some  girls  at finals while waiting for auditions to be over that day that they think the reason so few girls tried out this year is because of them.  

Edited by 5678Pixie
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, 5678Pixie said:

CMT is the main reason the audition numbers have dropped.  CMT even knows that, they told some  girls  at finals while waiting for auditions to be over that day that they think the reason so few girls tried out this year is because of them.  

Wonder if the drop in audition numbers will lead to the end of the show.  It has had a good run and I remember a post several months back that they were shooting for 15 years.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Annmarie1111 said:

Wonder if the drop in audition numbers will lead to the end of the show.  It has had a good run and I remember a post several months back that they were shooting for 15 years.

They will air the show as long as they are making money (at the expense of the girls).

• Love 13
11 minutes ago, 5678Pixie said:

I read that Crystal Risher Weir was picked from 1200 girls in 2002 I think it was

• Love 3

I’m going to play Devils Advocate here. Do you think it’s possible the show has given everyone a better idea of the dance background you need in order to make it on the team, and therefore fewer casual dancers try out?

The DCC may not have as many girls try out because the show almost acts like a preliminary elimination round where girls just realize they don’t have what it takes and therefore don’t waste their time.  Or risk embarrassing themselves on national TV.

I know before I discovered DCC:MTT I assumed that any girl with basic rhythm could be a DCC and now I realize just how intense and grueling the selection process is. I also never realized you have to have high kicks and a jump split to be a sideline cheerleader. I actually think it’s CRAZY they cut beautiful dancers just because they don’t have a high kick - something they only do in one pregame dance, and honestly I’m not sure the Football fans really care if the girls are kicking to their forehead!  

• Love 19
6 hours ago, CheerGoddess said:

Sitting here and patiently waiting for more cuts to be made! There’s still 42 girls left in the 6th week of TC. Waiting for a bloodbath to happen. 

Really hope that she doesn’t drag it out to the very end and make the rest of the cuts on the last night 

• Love 7
32 minutes ago, Stee said:

I’m going to play Devils Advocate here. Do you think it’s possible the show has given everyone a better idea of the dance background you need in order to make it on the team, and therefore fewer casual dancers try out?

The DCC may not have as many girls try out because the show almost acts like a preliminary elimination round where girls just realize they don’t have what it takes and therefore don’t waste their time.  Or risk embarrassing themselves on national TV.

I know before I discovered DCC:MTT I assumed that any girl with basic rhythm could be a DCC and now I realize just how intense and grueling the selection process is. I also never realized you have to have high kicks and a jump split to be a sideline cheerleader. I actually think it’s CRAZY they cut beautiful dancers just because they don’t have a high kick - something they only do in one pregame dance, and honestly I’m not sure the Football fans really care if the girls are kicking to their forehead!  

I see what you are saying, but as many of us have mentioned before - with the amount of social media, YouTube, the football games themselves, etc - if you still come to auditions not knowing the dance style, or the fact jump kicks and splits are involved, then you are merely wasting your time.  You don't even have to watch the show.  Anyone wanting to try out for any pro dance team should be researching that team and their tryouts.

My guess is girls don't want to go thru the process or deal with the show.  Now if you have a choice whether you are "featured" or not, that might be different??

• Love 5

I've been watching old seasons. I noticed on season 11 that there were about 4 empty rows behind the girls when Kelli did her intro speech. Now, on season 12, there were probably 6-7 empty rows behind the girls. I don't remember which season, but for one in the past, there was only 1 empty row. 

Numbers have dropped. I also agree that it is not worth the risk for inexperienced dancers who maybe tried out in the past. They stay home now. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Stee said:

But your points still point to cmt being the reason audition numbers are low. I think it’s all the same thing.... some inexperienced dancers no longer try out, there will be some great dancers who don’t tryout because they don’t want to go through the process. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Annmarie1111 said:

I'm pretty sure MOST of them do (or at one point did). All the current BGs wear weaves (and most of the previous ones w/ the exception of Jenna and Cersten). 

I am dying for more cuts! It will be funny to see the cuts played out on tv, since we know there has been a relatively big gap since the last cut. With editing, they can make it look like there are one or more cuts per week. We've seen in previous years things are out of order on tv compared to real life. Curious to see what happens! I'm dying for more details about training camp!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, nittanyvolleyball said:

I definitely think the show has played some part into why the numbers of auditions are lower, there's less people who are terrible dancers going and making a fool of themselves for tv.

I agree totally with this! Who wants to see K and J making fun of them on national tv? 

• Love 2

I also think the drop in numbers is, in part, a generational thing. It’s not that this generation is lazy, but I’ve noticed while working with 20 somethings that, I’m general, their attitude is a little different from other generations- people can get “famous” through YouTube for crying out loud- why work so hard all summer if you can start a following through social media? I’m not saying ALL of this generation feels this way, I’m just saying that there is an easier path to “fame,” so some might not be willing to put in this kind of intense work. 

In addition, I think that there are so many choices of paths for dancers now... it’s still VERY competitive, but I think that there are more opportunities than there used to be. Shows like So You Think You Can Dance, and this show, have really re-energized interest in dance. 

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Jess14 said:

I don’t follow Dayton on social media, but based on the posts, I’m assuming that she posted that she was hired to be a dancer on a cruise line (or made it past the first round)? Good for her! If she has aspirations to make dance an actual career, then I definitely think dancing on a cruise line is more impressive on a resume than being a DCC.

ETA: A girl who I went to college with danced on a cruise liner before dancing with Disney in Orlando. She loved it! 

I have a friend who just got a job as a comedian/entertainer on a cruise line. I can't remember which one, but I am beyond excited for him. Dream job!! 

I am sure Dayton will enjoy that. I've lived in DFW  my whole life. I'd love to cruise around the world. 

• Love 1