Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: Antwane & Tony

I would puke if I had to have lovey-dovey conversations on the phone with my cousin. And for 3 years! This commitment to REVENGE goes above and beyond, Emily Thorne ain't shit! But more seriously, as always, it's clear that the catfish has serious issues.

• Love 3

This one definitely shocked me.  I really liked Carmen and Antwane in the beginning, and thought they had an awesome relationship.  Carmen sure hid her pent-up rage well.  And when she turned on that Tony voice... Ack!!  LOL

I thought Nev and Max were too easy on her, and they shouldn't have even followed up with her on video-chat.  They shouldn't have given her, and her new red air, anymore air time. 

I had to google "Kelly Price" cause I didn't know who she was.  And Antwane was spot on with that description/insult.  Made me laugh. 

I thought Nev and Max were too easy on her

Agreed. But they always are. I have to believe it's because they would never get any of the catfish to appear on the show unless they went through the "healing" bullshit and the pretense that this whole TV show is launching them onto some kind of therapeutic redemption journey.

• Love 2

I know I shouldn't be shocked and appalled that Carmen was 30 freakin years old and still pulling this crap, but I am.

I had to google "Kelly Price" cause I didn't know who she was.

Me too.  Kelly Price may have been the real winner in the 15 minutes of fame Catfish sweepstakes.

• Love 3

Maybe I'm not enough of a criminal mastermind and/or sociopath to understand this, but when they had that original phone number, I thought it was credible that the real Tony was just hiding that he was in jail. How he afforded all those phone calls, which I assume were expensive from a pay phone, I did not know, and whether he was in for something serious or what... I mean... I dunno. It seemed strange, but possible.

Then, when Carmen said it was her, I wondered:  How did she originally call from that other Tony's number? Is she lying now, just to put an end to the search? Or did she really engineer this from the start? Was there a real Tony originally and then Carmen took over later? The whole thing is spooky and disgusting.

I actually know two couples who met via a personal ad (back in the day) or online dating, and have been happily and for real together (in person, living together, etc) for a long time since. So it's possible. But the number of scams and the amount of weird shit that goes on just seems so much more than the real stuff, and it's hard for me to wrap my mind around the motivation to actually do the catfishing. It seems so labor intensive and I don't understand what it must be like to be the person who enjoys it and feels it's a satisfying payoff to do these kinds of schemes. With some of the others, you can see that they are lonely or whatever, but with this one, and the Zoe business, it's just mind-boggling to me to even comprehend the level of commitment required to keep doing it-- and that the catfishee doesn't get sick of being strung along and give up on the faux relationship sooner.

• Love 1

I'm re-watching this episode right now and I must say, it's even creepier watching when you know it's the cousin the whole time. In one of the early scenes where Nev and Max are visiting with Antwane and Carmen and they're sitting on the couch, Carmen has this huge grin on her face for most of the discussion. She also asks Antwane, "Do you trust [Tony] more than you trust me?" He says "Yeah" and she replies "Ooh, that sucks."

Freaking sociopath!

• Love 2

My husband, who hates this type of show, saw the first few minutes and totally called Carmen being Tony! When she was using her "call-line" voice and making it feminine, he said she probably just makes it deeper and is screwing with her cousin. I told him  he was wrong, and then I had to cook dinner and do the dishes because that's what happens when you lose a bet at our house.

My unhappiness about that aside, Carmen was probably one of the worst offenders I've seen on this show. Hurting a perfect stranger is one thing (though not okay), but intentionally hurting a family member that you're that close to? Sick and unhealthy for sure.

• Love 3
(edited)

I thought Nev and Max were too easy on her, and they shouldn't have even followed up with her on video-chat.

I think the only reason they eased up on her was because the producers told them they had to. We must've seen an edited version of Nev talking to the cousin, plus an edited convo with him talking to his producer. When the producer was yelling bat Nev, he said "...and you're making fun of the way she talks?", which we didn't actually see on screen. And the first thing we saw the producer say was "You're ruining your own show", which I think was his way of saying "don't yell at her." I'm guessing this was actually one time where even Nev figured "fuck it, this person is an asshole"(since usually it's Max who pushes the Catfish, not Nev), and the producers told him he had to get back in there and play nice. I'd rather see it if they pushed the catfish more often - the catfish might be more reluctant to talk to them, but at least it wouldn't make Nev look so naive all the time.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 2

I guess I'm alone in finding Nev's level of outrage over having been fooled himself hilarious. I didnt think he was pissed for Antwane, I thought he was pissed because he and the show had been tricked and he took an on camera body blow to his ego.

Antwane was an entitled asshole, with his insistence that his mysterious unseen lover be gorgeous with a bangin' bod while he himself was significantly oveweight and gross with that nasty hair or wig or weave or whatever it was hanging over his face. Fat ass Kelly Price said he was constantly humiliating her in front of people. I don't condone what she did,but I can see how she justified it to herself.

I also caught the producer remark about Nev making fun of the way she talked. They must have cut it because it revealed him as a nasty piece of work.

• Love 1

Antwane was an entitled asshole, with his insistence that his mysterious unseen lover be gorgeous with a bangin' bod while he himself was significantly oveweight and gross

That's pretty much about 90% of the codfishes.

• Love 1
(edited)

I cannot lie - this episode rather blew my mind.

I know on soaps it is common for people to barely disguise themselves and still manage to completely fool those closest to them....but in reality?  That shouldn't work.

And yet it DID.  And she pulled in the show to make this happen.  I wonder though - did she start pretending to be Tony before or after Catfish began airing?

This lady has ISSUES.  These two definitely needed to spend less time together and more time getting their lives together.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 1

I'm just happy there's someone on this planet who still eats butterscotch Dum Dums. 

Hey, someone has to keep the Dum Dum empire alive.  I'm glad its the guy with the serious swoop bang weave.

• Love 2

Did anyone else notice it kept changing sides throughout the episode? What sort of camera trickery were they using and why? It was riveting.

*gasp* I did NOT notice that.....I wonder if it was some sort of clip on super swoop bang.  

Did anyone else notice it kept changing sides throughout the episode? What sort of camera trickery were they using and why? It was riveting.

Yes!  I did notice that!  I'm glad to know it wasn't just my brain short-circuiting.

• Love 1

This is the first show I have seen, of the series, Catfish. All I could think was, OMG they are losers. And sociopathic losers, as they have no remorse nor understanding of what they're doing. They are delusional, and sad looking. Surely they don't really think they are ever going to find significant love online?

• Love 1