Type keyword(s) to search

Naked and Afraid XL - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, qtpye said:

Now Jeff can go back to doing the other thing he lives for...insurance fraud.

I think he keeps going on N&A because he can't hold down a real job (because of history of fraud).  On N&A, he doesn't have to buy clothes for work, and other people are there to help find food for free.  Plus he gets free travel to different places.

• Love 5

When are they going to show the XL finale??  I'm getting pissed at their shenanigans. They spent another full day on origin story eps and then the dvr sets this ep for 3 hours.  Naturally im thinking finale and new n&a ep.  Nope.  While i dont mind seeing Fernando again,  Ive waited too long.  Wrap it up!  Literally.

1 hour ago, ForumLou said:

When are they going to show the XL finale??  I'm getting pissed at their shenanigans. They spent another full day on origin story eps and then the dvr sets this ep for 3 hours.  Naturally im thinking finale and new n&a ep.  Nope.  While i dont mind seeing Fernando again,  Ive waited too long.  Wrap it up!  Literally.

They showed the XL finale several weeks ago.  I think it may be available either on demand or through the Discovery website.  

• Useful 1
On 8/1/2021 at 7:18 PM, Cobb Salad said:

They showed the XL finale several weeks ago.  I think it may be available either on demand or through the Discovery website.  

Thanks. Yes it was OnDemand.  Thanks again, i would never had thought to check that thinking it hadn't even aired yet.

• Love 1

The new season premieres Sunday, May 1st at 8/7c. 

https://www.discovery.com/shows/naked-and-afraid-xl/articles/naked-and-afraid-xl-rises-to-the-next-level

This season, four Naked and Afraid XL veterans attempt an epic 60-day challenge while leading a new generation of survivalists embarking on their first 40 days.

Cast

Amber Hargrove - XL Vet

Jennifer Taylor - XL Rookie

Trish Bulinksy (Mother of Julia Bulinsky. Julia's episode of NAA aired recently, paired with Wes Harper's son, Waylon) - XL Rookie

Steven Hall Jr - XL Vet

Tim Phillips - XL Rookie

Lisa Hagan - XL Rookie

Kaila Cummings - XL Vet

Dan Link - XL Rookie

Jamie Frizzell - XL Rookie

Gary Golding - XL Vet

Waz Addy - XL Rookie

Rod Biggs - XL Rookie

Edited by Aaron4102
  • Love 3

They showed Jen’s episode last night.  Her partner tapped after 3 days and she was forced to finish the rest alone so I’m happy to see her here.  

I also look forward to seeing Amber, Gary and Steven again.  Maybe Amber will be able to finish this time. 

16 hours ago, riverblue22 said:

I'm pretty much over Gary.... guess I will see how crazy he is this year~

I never cared for him. I always think of the Pepto-Bismal diarrhea song. He seems like a jerk that doesn't care if you walk through his feces or puke. I would shove his face in it if he did it in front of our shelter.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

What will Gary eat this time? 🤢 Thank goodness no Jeff! 

Who knows but I hope we’re spared a repeat with the alligator eyes.  I’m certain rancid meat will be a food choice for him which will gross every one else out, again. 

Edited by Cobb Salad
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

Who knows but I hope we’re spared a repeat with the alligator eyes.  I’m certain rancid meat will be a food choice for him which will gross every one else out, again. 

Of course it will.  Why else would he be invited again except for the drama?

• Love 2

I’ll watch at least at first to see how whatever he does plays with the others.  At this point he’s shown his cards enough that anyone who has had enough of his antics can hopefully challenge/shut him down enough to humble him if that’s possible.  I think Matt is another surprise participant and he wasn’t happy with all the shouting last time.  

I’d be happier if they had the challenge in another location where his strengths are irrelevant.  He did not do as well during his first challenge because the predominant food choices were things like snake.  Fishing wasn’t an option.  But then he’d probably pass at that opportunity anyway. 

• Love 3

Amber was a lot in the preview (and I'm not just talking about her eyebrows). I did not like her "I'll drag you over the finish line" quip, and neither did Trish.

I'll be recording so I can fast forward through the what-the-hell-did-Gary-eat-now scenes.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
On 4/25/2022 at 9:05 AM, AZChristian said:

Then they ruined everything by bringing him in as a surprise team member.

I'm out.  

EJ too.  Mr. Insurance Fraud Jeff did not make it through a previous challenge, and now he's a legend.  Last time EJ gave instructions to his teammates while they fed and sheltered him.

Gary fits in here too.  

Looks like these boys are making a living off of N & A, otherwise what employer would grant them so much time off?

Like AZChristian, I'll keep this show on a short leash.

edited: wonder if Jeff's agreement includes a weekly night in the medic's tent.

Edited by Liberty
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

<arms crossed, eyes rolling>Oh. Yay. Jeff is back. I'm sooooo surprised and sooooo excited to see that one shriek pony.</arms crossed, eyes rolling>

I'm really not surprised they brought back him, EJ, and Matt. I don't think any of us are. They get fans talking and, I suppose, get fans watching to see what happens. I just really cannot stand Jeff's personality.

EJ's likeability is directly proportional with the people/person he's teamed with. I usually like him, but sometimes I wanna slap him with a fish.

As for Matt? His positive attitude, humility, and ability to kick ass is refreshing and, quite frankly, I'd watch him "hunt and gather" at Kroger. His coupon game is likely so strong, he'll leave with two full carts, and Kroger will owe him change.

Edited by Captain Asshat
  • LOL 4
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Captain Asshat said:

As for Matt? His positive attitude, humility, and ability to kick ass is refreshing and, quite frankly, I'd watch him "hunt and gather" at Kroger. His coupon game is likely so strong, he'll leave with two full carts, and Kroger will owe him change.

He is the best IMO.  He’s done challenges and XLs in diverse environments and has kicked ass.  I love his attitude and I’d join in with watching the supermarket hunt and gather too.  

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

He is the best IMO.  He’s done challenges and XLs in diverse environments and has kicked ass.  I love his attitude and I’d join in with watching the supermarket hunt and gather too.  

They should totally give his PSR the Nigel Tufnel treatment -- "His PSR goes up to 11." That would be the only time I'd ever think the PSR was not total BS.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Wow! That was a lot of people to leave in such a short time. I really feel bad for Gary. This time it wasn’t he is eating habits that did him in. Those mosquitoes and flies were vicious. I think each team should get a mosquito net as a mandatory piece of equipment.
Chin up, Stephen! You’ll find some more naked people eventually.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I really feel bad for Gary. This time it wasn’t he is eating habits that did him in.

It was Standard Gary Idiocy. The only difference is that he didn't brag about the stupid thing he was doing first. It's probably better he sprayed his face with the poison before he decided to sleep the night on his "new bed". 

• Applause 1
  • Love 4

Oh well, I guess Gary will have to save his shenanigans for another time.  Poor Steven - he did not look too happy about being left alone all of a sudden only a few days in.  At first when they teased the surprise members I thought it was a gimmick but now I’m wondering with all of these early tap outs if it was a backup plan.  It’s so early I’m sure the producers are figuring that there will be more as time goes on through the 40 to 60 days.  The show must have these guys on speed dial or something.  I’ve also been wondering if when they get to the 40 day mark if any of the 40 day people are still around will they be given the choice  to continue on to 60?

I love that the all female team seem to be crushing it so far, relatively speaking in comparison to the other teams.  With Kaila and Dan I feel like I’m watching a regular episode of Naked and Afraid with the traditional male/female pairing.  It’s great that Dan just happened on to that heron for food and was able to nail it with his knife!

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, CoyoteBlue said:

It was Standard Gary Idiocy. The only difference is that he didn't brag about the stupid thing he was doing first. It's probably better he sprayed his face with the poison before he decided to sleep the night on his "new bed". 

What I want to know, poisonous tree sap aside, is why he was chopping the tree down by chopping the trunk at a point above his head. I mean, even without that sap issue, that opens up the possibility of bark chips or anything else falling on his face/into his eyes. Is there a valid reason for him to be doing so?*

*"Valid" refers to real-world validity, not "Gary Logic."

Edited by Captain Asshat
  • LOL 3
35 minutes ago, Captain Asshat said:

What I want to know, poisonous tree sap aside, is why he was chopping the tree down by chopping the trunk at a point above his head. I mean, even without that sap issue, that opens up the possibility of bark chips or anything else falling on his face/into his eyes. Is there a valid reason for him to be doing so?*

I "think" that he had already chopped the bottom, as they showed a chopped bottom right before they showed Gary's stupidity of chopping up higher.  When he chopped the bottom, it appeared that the tree fell over and got caught on nearby trees at about a 45 degree angle.  So Mr. Alligator Eyes decided to chop the log to the length he wanted (about 6-7 feet) by attacking it above his head.  He KNEW it was a poisonous tree.  I can't figure out why he even started chopping the first time!!!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

I "think" that he had already chopped the bottom, as they showed a chopped bottom right before they showed Gary's stupidity of chopping up higher.  When he chopped the bottom, it appeared that the tree fell over and got caught on nearby trees at about a 45 degree angle.  So Mr. Alligator Eyes decided to chop the log to the length he wanted (about 6-7 feet) by attacking it above his head.  He KNEW it was a poisonous tree.  I can't figure out why he even started chopping the first time!!!

Hmm. I had the impression that he didn't realize that tree was the poison sap tree until he had the issue. Otherwise, WTF did he think it would be a good idea to use a tree with poisonous sap to make a sleeping platform?

I am pretty neutral on Gary. I neither like nor dislike him. I think he is just one of those people who goes OTT to be the center of attention, regardless of whether it's on or off camera. I've had friends like this, and I need to take them in small doses, because they are exhausting otherwise. I'm sure Gary has survival chops. We've seen some of them, but it seems like his desire to be Mr. Lookatme steers his tendency to make really bad decisions and, in a couple of instances, cause friction with teammates who don't want to play along or eat the rancid meat he's brought back to camp.

• Love 6

OMG, I'm so sorry.  I feel like I cursed us with Jeff.

So glad to get Gary out of the way quickly.  He has always irritated me and again, has to tap due to his own stupidity.  How many challenges has he actually made it thru?  I know of at least 3 that he tapped on.

Sorry that Steven is all alone, but if anyone can do it alone in the Amazon, he can.  (Even though we know he won't be)  I really like him, except last XL when he was partnered with the idiot.

Really tired of Amber thinking she's the be-all, end-all.  She's tapped almost as much as Gary.  I can't wait to see the friction between her and Trish.  And I don't think Kaila will put up with her shit, either, assuming they get to meet.

On 4/28/2022 at 9:02 PM, riverblue22 said:

I'm not happy seeing Amber again--I have had more than enough of her.  Now Jeff, blah!

Anybody know who the fourth surprise member is?  I'm thinking Max.

I'm a dumbass,  I didn't even catch there would be a surprise fourth, but it makes sense.  Wondering if they'll have a female?  Maybe Laura?  Another one I really like, except when she's partnered with the idiot.  How many good people has he turned into assholes?

12 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

I’ve also been wondering if when they get to the 40 day mark if any of the 40 day people are still around will they be given the choice  to continue on to 60?

I was wondering that, too.  Like that one challenge where they had the option to join the XL crew and the guy did.  Chance, I think?

11 hours ago, Captain Asshat said:

I can see no valid reason to do that.  And why the hell was he chopping such a huge tree for his sleeping platform?

• Love 5
13 hours ago, madmax said:

I was wondering that, too.  Like that one challenge where they had the option to join the XL crew and the guy did.  Chance, I think?

It was Chance.  Then Russell bailed on him in the middle of the night when it got too cold - I don’t remembered too much of the details but they had split off from the main group for about a day or two for something.  IIRC Chance rejoined the group alone the next day.  

I’m okay with Amber getting another shot but that clip they keep showing with her and the shouting is grating, plus the preview of the conflict with Trish (who I think is capable of doing 40 days regardless of being teamed with a veteran) so far implies to me “I’ve been in this spot and you haven’t so I’m better” or to that effect.  

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

It was Chance.  Then Russell bailed on him in the middle of the night when it got too cold - I don’t remembered too much of the details but they had split off from the main group for about a day or two for something.  IIRC Chance rejoined the group alone the next day.  

If I remember right, three of them were out hunting, one tapped because of the weather.  Russell was all "I'm with you, I won't leave you" to Chance, then he tapped.  Chance did go back and finish the 40.  Russell was a real asshole that XL.  Pretty sure that was the only XL Amber finished and the two of them clashed.

9 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

I’m okay with Amber getting another shot but that clip they keep showing with her and the shouting is grating, plus the preview of the conflict with Trish (who I think is capable of doing 40 days regardless of being teamed with a veteran) so far implies to me “I’ve been in this spot and you haven’t so I’m better” or to that effect.  

I'm so over Amber being considered a Legend.  She's tapped more than she's finished.  And that preview of her shouting is SO irritating.  I've always thought Amber has the "I'm such a badass and so much better than you" attitude.  Finish a couple of XL challenges and I'll agree.  Grudgingly.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, madmax said:

If I remember right, three of them were out hunting, one tapped because of the weather.  Russell was all "I'm with you, I won't leave you" to Chance, then he tapped.  Chance did go back and finish the 40.  Russell was a real asshole that XL.  Pretty sure that was the only XL Amber finished and the two of them clashed.

I'm so over Amber being considered a Legend.  She's tapped more than she's finished.  And that preview of her shouting is SO irritating.  I've always thought Amber has the "I'm such a badass and so much better than you" attitude.  Finish a couple of XL challenges and I'll agree.  Grudgingly.

I still haven't gotten over Amber's breast implant crisis.  A badass she is not.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Wow, about a week in and half the group is gone.  From the comments Rod made when eating that one fish I’m wondering if that’s the one that did him in.   I guess the others will show up soon?  Steven looks like he’s ok being alone, Dan not so much.  I’m with Amber, it’s much more important to get a good roof on the shelter before working on the comforts of the inside.  What would they have done if it rained again with not much of a roof?  I guess Jen and Trish would be real comfy in their wet beds.  4 days seem to be a long time to be working on something like this.  

• Love 4
(edited)

I said after watching the first episode that each team should have been given a mosquito net. In that environment, that is an essential item. 
I was afraid Rod hadn’t cooked that fish enough.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 5

Though I'm sure they always planned to bring in the (dreaded) reinforcements, I wish that it wasn't quite so miserable out there and they wouldn't be dropping like (bot)flies. 

I will begrudgingly agree with Amber that that they should be reinforcing the shelter before fully concentrating on beds, but she is not their leader nor is she in charge of what two grown women (both with survival experience) choose to prioritize. I kind of get the feeling that the sleep deprivation trumps all, but a couple of hours on the shelter would go far. Also, with all that rain, firewood should be a huge priority.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, rlc said:

Though I'm sure they always planned to bring in the (dreaded) reinforcements, I wish that it wasn't quite so miserable out there and they wouldn't be dropping like (bot)flies. 

I will begrudgingly agree with Amber that that they should be reinforcing the shelter before fully concentrating on beds, but she is not their leader nor is she in charge of what two grown women (both with survival experience) choose to prioritize. I kind of get the feeling that the sleep deprivation trumps all, but a couple of hours on the shelter would go far. Also, with all that rain, firewood should be a huge priority.

I bet some wouldn’t have tapped if they had had the mosquito nets from the start. I’m thinking about Stephen’s partners especially.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I bet some wouldn’t have tapped if they had had the mosquito nets from the start. I’m thinking about Stephen’s partners especially.

I'm with you on this one, LittleIggy...it feels pretty unfair to come in with nets at this point (I also agree they should've had them from the start). Both of Steven's partners seemed of the mind that the bugs were doing them in (they couldn't sleep at all) and since that was one thing that they couldn't make better, they might as well cut their losses. I was disappointed because I really liked Cajun gal on her first go-round.

• Love 2
(edited)

Was Amber the only person that referred to gender groupings in this episode?  Additionally the term 'bad ass" is overused.  Someone quits the challenge and is declared a "bad ass" by the person who remains.

It seems "treatment" from a medic is no longer a reason for disqualification in the "Everest of Survival Challenges".  (I remember EJ's first N&A episode removed a thorn from his foot which got infected and a medic provided a shot of antibiotic, and of course Jeff was allowed a night in the medic tent during his most recent XL appearance, etc.)

Kaila burned her foot in the camp fire, and in a recent non-XL episode, someone also burned their foot in the camp fire.  Time put a ring of rocks around the firepit kids.  Also back to the old mystery about why participants do not make foot ware.

Dan's idea to put down 'walkways' to stay out of the mud is probably pretty good.

It's clear production has made a mistake with this location, casting and survival items.

Edited by Liberty
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Liberty said:

It's clear production has made a mistake with this location, casting and survival items.

The case the local who was on camera during Sunday’s episode should have been stressed during planning this XL.  There is too much of a risk that any participant could contract any of the diseases they mentioned and suffer long term as a result (remember Manu?)

Anyone here watching “Primal Survivor: Escape the Amazon” on National Geographic?  The host is trekking through the Amazon in Guyana and is also getting eaten up by flies. He did find some termite mounds to run on himself.  Anyway since he’s constantly on the move the flies don’t seem to be as serious an issue but I’m not surprised he’s complained about them as well. 

Between emergency urgent care trips and hockey,  I finally got to watch this one.

Rod definitely undercooked that fish.  Waz was very smart in refusing a piece.

Steven with the leech?  Made me shudder and I'm not a dude.

Poor Dan.  I really hope he gets someone good as his partner.  Like Matt.

As much as I hate to admit it, Amber is right.  They need to be working on the shelter.  As does she, really.  How much time is she spending fishing?

I wonder if they reached out to the "surprise" guests after so many people tapped.

2 hours ago, madmax said:

I wonder if they reached out to the "surprise" guests after so many people tapped.

I'm thinking it was always a part of the plan.  If everything went well, it would be just 4 people to face the 40-60 day part of the challenge.  Since one of the experts has tapped with luck there will be 7 for the final 20 days after the surprise folks show up.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, madmax said:

I keep wondering what kind of jobs people have where they can actually take 4 to 6 weeks off.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Liberty said:

I keep wondering what kind of jobs people have where they can actually take 4 to 6 weeks off.  

A lot of these folks are self-employed wilderness teachers and other similar occupations.  And some of them (probably Jeff) are professional reality show contestants.  Being on TV IS their job.

• Love 1

Well that Trish is a real dish, huh? 

Seems like shes an adult with oppositional defiance disorder who is unwilling to bend even the slightest to contribute to the teams immediate necessities, such as shelter roof reinforcement which is NEEDED before the big rain.. which came anyway and seemed to fall only on Ambers side of the shelter. Jens a real wimp too, silently following along with Trish’s defiance of ANYthing suggested by Amber. I wonder if they made sure their sides of the roof were covered well, while Amber was out fishing, cutting down trees, collecting firewood, food and water, etc etc. 

What do they have against Amber except that she wants help from her team members with the hard and dreary daily tasks of surviving this bug filled pit of hell? To get the big stuff out of the way, so they ALL can reach a point where they can enjoy a bit of relaxation, and easier time in the jungle. 

No, don’t even suggest to Trish (and no-personality sock puppet Jen) that you kind of expect help with the hard stuff while she and Jen cater to their bed frames for FOUR (or 5) days or making a net for 2 entire days.

Being pissy because she, Trish, finally broke down and helped when (heaven forbid!) asked to, with felling the tree that was going to be used as a very helpful bridge for the trio. Pettily continuing to almost chuck a great piece of wood Amber wanted to keep as firewood, in the water at the hornets nest. It was no big deal not to toss it and find another piece, but Trish just had to push it. It looked like an excellent piece of dry wood for burning a long time. I’m glad Amber won that round, especially since the lazy twins don’t look like they’ve collected very much firewood FOR THE GROUP.

Trish seems more interested in sitting on her ass and talking sheeit about Amber... all the live long day. And ignoring or opposing any suggestions Amber brings up. That stands out as her main goal on this survival attempt, to me, the viewer. She never comes up with a better or alternative suggestion for survival herself. Shes just an eternal nay sayer,  “cuz nobody’s gonna tell HER what to do! Dammit!” 

Jen is just being a wimpy passive aggressive follower of Trish, for some odd reason. 

Maybe Amber came off as a take charge kind of person, which is annoying to other independent minded women, but Trish just wont let it go. Her priority has been to childishly defy every and any thing Amber suggests or wants help with now.

They certainly are doing better survival wise because Amber is there doing all shes been doing, with minimal help from the peanut gallery whose main goal seems to be to defy and purposely annoy Amber at every chance.                                                                  Jerks.

• Love 7

I liked both Trish and Jen from their challenges but after last nights episode not anymore.  When the show would go back to them I was cringing more and more each time.  Something’s going to blow soon.   Trish said if she doesn’t want to do something she doesn’t do it.  I guess her life is doing things she likes doing all the time and ignoring the stuff she doesn’t want to do.  Pretty childish to me.   What if Amber wasn’t there feeding them the entire time - would they still be spending days making their beds and sitting there constructing a net?  I doubt that net is ever going to be strong or reinforced enough to catch any good size fish.   Maybe to force the issue Amber should stop getting fish and let Trish take the lead on feeding them, heh.

I’d also like to know how making a fish net is a 2 person job.  I guess I’m missing something.  

• Love 4

I’m Team Trish all the way. I don’t think Trish is saying she doesn’t want to do the work. She doesn’t want Amber to be a dictator. Nobody appointed Amber leader. Both of the other women have wilderness experience, and as Trish said, just because Amber has been on the show for more days doesn’t instantly equate to more life experience. Yes, Amber can fish, but she needs to learn to have conversations with her teammates and not tell them what to do. She did not speak to her male teammates this way, and the fact that she speaks to her female teammates (not subordinates) this way speaks volumes about Amber’s character, or lack there of.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, rlc said:

Nobody appointed Amber leader. 

Amber appointed Amber leader.

Yeah, I'm on Trish's side.  Amber is a dictator, telling everyone what to do and how to do it.  She did that to an extent on the last XL that she didn't finish, but the guys basically did what they wanted anyway, and of course, she ragged on them for it.  It's a team, not a dictatorship.  Discussing what needs to be done for the day, not telling them what needs to be done, is a better way to go.  That's a team.

Glad Dan and Waz found each other.  Hope the bird trap works, but the thought of eating a vulture?  😬

I have full faith that Steven will finish, with or without a partner.

• Love 3