Type keyword(s) to search

Naked and Afraid XL - General Discussion

• Start Topic

When Heather and Adam decided not to carry a pot of water with them on their long trek, anyone with a grain of sense knew that was NOT a good decision.

And we were right.

• Like 7
On 6/3/2024 at 10:49 AM, AZChristian said:

When Heather and Adam decided not to carry a pot of water with them on their long trek, anyone with a grain of sense knew that was NOT a good decision.

And we were right.

I don't understand why they don't carry water more often.  Even if you carried it halfway to where you were going, it would be there on the walk back.  Or carry some coals so you can make a fire to boil water where you end up.  Stupid.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, madmax said:

if you carried it halfway to where you were going, it would be there on the walk back

I really like this idea

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

Don't these people know how to weave things?

Make a hat to keep that sun from beating down on your head.

If I were dumb enough to do something like this - I do my camping in hotels - I would also learn how to make shoes and fire (I would prefer a BiC lighter😎).

• Like 4
  • Applause 2

And if you carried the water and drank it on the way, you'd not be as dehydrated on the way back.

They were already dehydrated when they got to their destination, but then had no pot to boil water in for the trip back.

These are survivalists????

• Like 5

Okay, so let me try to understand this.

It is so miserable there and the mosquitoes are so horrible that sleeping is nearly impossible.

In spite of that, Adam manages to get down off of their rickety sleeping platform, disappear down to the water, and catch a decent-sized eel.  He then preps and cooks it over the fire on their platform.  Heather is so deeply asleep that she doesn't smell it cooking, and Adam eats the whole thing.

I'm beginning to think this show isn't real.

LOL.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 6/10/2024 at 1:53 PM, AZChristian said:

In spite of that, Adam manages to get down off of their rickety sleeping platform, disappear down to the water, and catch a decent-sized eel.  He then preps and cooks it over the fire on their platform.  Heather is so deeply asleep that she doesn't smell it cooking, and Adam eats the whole thing.

Not just an eel, but a fish the night before.

If I was Heather, I'd be A) super pissed off, which she is, apparently, until the next episode and 2) wondering if the parasites they ate made her nose-blind and deaf.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

What Adam did was NOT right and he did it not once, but twice.  I'm so surprised Heather didn't blow up more every time he asked if she was okay while they were making their trek.. no I'm not okay because I haven't eaten protein in the last two days like you have... selfish as$hole!! 

The dynamic of the new tribe will be interesting.  

• Like 4
  • Love 2
On 6/12/2024 at 11:31 AM, eclectcmoi said:

What Adam did was NOT right and he did it not once, but twice. 

I didn't expect that of him at all.  And Heather only knows about the eel, right?  Not the fish he caught the day before.  

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
19 minutes ago, madmax said:

I didn't expect that of him at all.  And Heather only knows about the eel, right?  Not the fish he caught the day before.  

Seems that way.  He could have wrapped some of that meat up in a leaf or something for when she woke up.  It would be only be a few hours at most.

Such a sleazy move to leave her nothing.

A fantasy:  she gouges his eyeballs out and eats them.  Laughing

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

New season on Naked & Afraid: Last One Standing, premieres on Sunday, July 14th at 8/7c

https://people.com/naked-and-afraid-last-one-standing-teaser-video-meet-the-cast-exclusive-8663588

A few survivalist from season 1 will be returning, including Gary, Dan, and Mr "THIS IS WHAT I LIVE FOR" I know most of you will be thrilled about that ( Obviously being sarcastic there lol) 

Cast:  Russell Sage, Lacey Stark-Jones, Fernando Calderon, Kate Tooth Wentworth, Trish Bulinsky, Bulent Gurcan, Ky Furneaux, Dan Link, Jeff Zausch, Gary Golding, Darrin Reay, Patrick French, Lindsey Leitelt & Dani Beau. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Aaron4102 said:

New season on Naked & Afraid: Last One Standing, premieres on Sunday, July 14th at 8/7c

https://people.com/naked-and-afraid-last-one-standing-teaser-video-meet-the-cast-exclusive-8663588

A few survivalist from season 1 will be returning, including Gary, Dan, and Mr "THIS IS WHAT I LIVE FOR" I know most of you will be thrilled about that ( Obviously being sarcastic there lol) 

Cast:  Russell Sage, Lacey Stark-Jones, Fernando Calderon, Kate Tooth Wentworth, Trish Bulinsky, Bulent Gurcan, Ky Furneaux, Dan Link, Jeff Zausch, Gary Golding, Darrin Reay, Patrick French, Lindsey Leitelt & Dani Beau. 

Not sure if I'll watch, because I really didn't like the last one.  But if I did watch, I'd root for Fernando because I just love saying his name like his first partner said it. 😁

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I won’t be watching because I grew tired of it during the first go around.  I skipped the last couple of episodes since I really didn’t care anymore and I couldn’t stand watching Mr “This is What I Live For” anymore.  He reminds me of Boston Rob from Survivor a while back.  IIRC he was on multiple times then he won the million - maybe if Jeff wins this time he’ll go away? Maybe??

Anyway, looking at the cast list I see Kate will be there - I’m predicting there will be a meltdown from her at some point like the other times and she won’t get along with people.  

• Like 2
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

Anyway, looking at the cast list I see Kate will be there - I’m predicting there will be a meltdown from her at some point like the other times and she won’t get along with people.  

Along with Bulent.  So real live "Suck it, Kate." 😆

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
On 6/15/2024 at 7:10 PM, madmax said:

Not sure if I'll watch, because I really didn't like the last one.  But if I did watch, I'd root for Fernando because I just love saying his name like his first partner said it. 😁

Oh gawd, Trish too.  I bet she and Kate will become bitter buddies LOL

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 2

This current group is the best I've seen in how to handle interpersonal confrontations.  They truly do seem to be a team, not a group of competitors trying to be top dog.  It's a refreshing change.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, azprimadonna said:

I think Adam is so awful--too bad he can't be voted off the island...

I thought that, too . . . but he did admit that eating without sharing with Heather was a dick move, and he apologized for it.  And then when the others said they could not hike 20 miles for extraction in one day, he agreed with the majority opinion.

Hopefully, that was just one big mistake, and he won't do it again.  He was very complimentary about the women getting that caiman.  Granted, he DID want a share of it.

• Like 2

I felt he was just giving lip service, because everyone was shunning him.  I can't imagine a bigger personality flaw than to ignore your partner's plight in this situation.  I don't think that's redeemable, but apparently Heather thought he was sincere.  

• Like 3
  • Love 1
On 6/24/2024 at 12:27 PM, AZChristian said:

This current group is the best I've seen in how to handle interpersonal confrontations.  They truly do seem to be a team, not a group of competitors trying to be top dog.  It's a refreshing change.

I agree, but I also agree with @azprimadonna, that Adam was just apologizing for the cameras.  But Heather did forgive him and we know she's kind of a bitch, so maybe it was sincere?  I know I couldn't forgive that.  Yeah, you put your oxygen mask on first, but you also help those around you once you have.  All he had to do was save a third, hell a quarter, of those night catches.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

This XL has become very difficult for me to watch.  I have only had a couple of shots per episode, and almost forget it is "40 miles in 40 days".

Honestly I thought I heard Adam say "a few small fish", which suggested to me he ate more than just a catfish and eel, and likely snuck out without a film crew.

Additionally when he admitted to the camera he had some "small" fish in a brief monolog, he followed the statement with an 'aren't I cute' grin.

I was wondering during the celebratory shrieks and screams after a success was achieved was a copy of Jeff the Felon's behavior. 

The next last one only has a couple of people I care about, Bulent, Ky,  and less Fernando (who was super in his first N & A appearance).  I don't like the 'Survivor' aspect.

Kaiela and Malorie are worthy of my respect.  Poor Terra, really wants to be a leader but is stuck with a jr. High School mentality.

Here's a link about XL's future

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/naked-afraid-xl-production-paused-by-discovery-for-creative-refresh/ar-BB1osXrx

• Like 3
23 hours ago, Liberty said:

Honestly I thought I heard Adam say "a few small fish", which suggested to me he ate more than just a catfish and eel, and likely snuck out without a film crew.

Additionally when he admitted to the camera he had some "small" fish in a brief monolog, he followed the statement with an 'aren't I cute' grin.

Pretty sure I heard that too.  And yeah, that shit eating grin was why I think he wasn't sincere in his apology.  

23 hours ago, Liberty said:

Thanks for this.   Kinda sucks, because I really didn't like Last One Standing and am not really planning to watch this one.  Mr.  Max will and I'll probably get sucked in anyway.

• Like 2

Did they teleport at some point during the last two days? Because I feel like they glossed over coming up short the first day and yet strolling to the end? The 40 miles seem to have added a rough dimension to this season, much like the near-arctic ones. They'd either need to be really nomadic, with the issues of locating food and creating portable shelter, or have loooong periods of hiking that they have to prep for and recover from. Kudos to so many of them lasting.

-------

Ugh, the one-hour intro to Last One Standing - it's shaping up to be the Battle of the Smug Catchphrases. The only bright spot is Jeff getting a golden shit shower from a pack of baboons.

And maybe finding out what rotted foodstuff Gary will inevitably eat while smugly saying "Delicioso" that later takes him out in a hail of food poisoning.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, CoyoteBlue said:

The only bright spot is Jeff getting a golden shit shower from a pack of baboons.

Hope they don't save this to the later episodes.

• LOL 2

Saw 5 minutes of the preview for the new show.  That's 5 minutes of my life I'll never get back.  And the last 5 minutes I'll watch of next season.  I don't like to watch people acting like animals and cutting each other's throats.

It was wonderful to see how many contestants finished this last season - and a lot of it was because they supported each other and worked through their differences like adults with a common goal.  It looked like several of them made a lot of personal growth through the experience.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I really enjoyed all the scenes after they reached extraction.  Enjoying all the food they've missed and wanted and then returning home.  More of that please! 

• Like 6
On 7/1/2024 at 10:59 AM, AZChristian said:

It was wonderful to see how many contestants finished this last season - and a lot of it was because they supported each other and worked through their differences like adults with a common goal.  It looked like several of them made a lot of personal growth through the experience.

I agree, but it kinda threw me when one of them, maybe Shell, said "No one tapped!"  There were definitely taps.  But what I really liked about this season is that every female that started finished.

8 hours ago, eclectcmoi said:

I really enjoyed all the scenes after they reached extraction.  Enjoying all the food they've missed and wanted and then returning home.  More of that please! 

I've always enjoyed the return home scenes.  Not so much the eating scenes because all I can think about is them gorging themselves and being sick later.  I also miss when they used to do a reunion show with everyone on the 40 days, even those that tapped.  They stopped that around the start of Covid, I think.

Could anyone tell who was on the plane at the end behind Heather?  Was it a crew member or an early tapper?  I tried to pause the recording but I can't tell.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, madmax said:

I also miss when they used to do a reunion show with everyone on the 40 days, even those that tapped.

Those episodes were pretty nice.  Thanks for mentioning them.

• Like 3

IIRC they stopped doing the reunion shows because of ratings.  I don’t remember where I read it - maybe Reddit?

They were a mixed bag for me - it depended on who was involved.  

• Like 1
On 7/14/2024 at 6:36 PM, CoyoteBlue said:

Is this the forum for Last One Standing?

15 minutes in and I already know I'm hate-watching this season.

Same.  A little of Jeff and his obnoxiousness goes a very long way.  Interesting though how the teams were paired up and no sharing of won survival items between the teams.  

• Like 1
On 7/14/2024 at 9:36 PM, CoyoteBlue said:

Is this the forum for Last One Standing?

15 minutes in and I already know I'm hate-watching this season.

I think we're all hate-watching this season.

I will say I was happy that Russell and Lacey were first out.  Now let's have Jeff go next.

• Like 4

Man, I feel sorry for some of those fish. They're showing them sucking air in at the surface which makes me think they're suffocating in those small stagnant pools.

Poor Jeff, can you no longer use your hide to manipulate people? Boo hoo. Also, is Patrick doing all of the work in that camp? I'm so sorry he's stuck with Jeff. Has Jeff contributed an ounce of food this episode?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Dear Naked and Afraid Producers, 

Please do not ever have Kate in another challenge.  She does not need to be on my TV ever again.

Signed,

Suck it Kate and Now Go Away 

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2

Jeff sounds like everyone is out to get him, poor guy.

I was thinking that in order to build 4 similar Aripoca bird traps, production had to have provided some sort of training to each team.  So many said they had no experience.

Surprising how well Trish's net idea worked.

Funny how I will not miss any of the first three out.  It seems they were poor choices from start to finish.

• Like 4

I'm trying to figure out how Kate was cast at all in light of her prior tapouts. Either no other woman was available, or maybe the producers figured she'd bring the tapout drama again and it would make for good TV.

Anyhow, why did she take the hide and the knife with her? She could have given either or both to any other contestant(s), thereby helping out somebody else's game and/or screwing somebody else. Bitch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, allirish47 said:

Anyhow, why did she take the hide and the knife with her? She could have given either or both to any other contestant(s), thereby helping out somebody else's game and/or screwing somebody else. Bitch.

She screwed over Jeff, and that makes it cool in my book.

• Applause 2
  • LOL 1

I am tired of everyone hating on Jeff.  Waz seems to be the worst, and the most holier than thou.  Jeff just wants to play, he would probably be nicer if the others didn't have to have a group hate or be banned, per Waz.

Truthfully, I think they all ended up assholes in both the last "Last One Standing" and will probably do so in this one, even my favorite, Fernaaaaaaaaaando.  But Jeff is just a bigger a-hole than the rest, both for his shenanigans on and off the show.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Sad to see Lindsey go.  Guess she should have took Jeff's "deal".  I admire her integrity.

Jeff and Patrick badmouthing each other is hilarious.

Jeff is so annoyingly full of himself.  Waiting for the baboons😎.

Hope Dan is OK with his gash.  My favorite to win.

He's just so damn cute!

• Like 2

Let's just call this season 'Naked and Afraid XL Jeff', starring Jeff, directed by Jeff, saturated with Jeff. It would be great to see him go sooner rather than later, but, sadly, I suspect that he'll stay almost to the end. Not sure, though, that I can stand to watch till that point. Does he REALLY bring in the ratings?

So sad to see Lindsay go, also. And Dan - what on earth were you thinking?

• Like 3
On 7/29/2024 at 3:57 PM, allirish47 said:

So sad to see Lindsay go, also. And Dan - what on earth were you thinking?

Pure speculation:  Dan knows this team thing won't last forever, so does the first one at the axe get to keep it after the split? Sorry Fernando.  (Like Kate taking her stuff and making Jeff whine.  More.)

Plan B:  Adrenaline rush and he just wasn't thinking

• Like 2

Just got through watching the first 2 episodes. My wifi has been wonky for weeks now, but has been fixed.

For some reason, Jeff isn’t annoying me as much as he usually does. I know that will be  temporary though. Maybe it’s because he isn’t nonstop screaming at the top of his lungs this time. So far.  It’s a sure sign he isn’t feeling as sure of himself and winning it, this time around. The way things are going for him as of yet. 

Patrick is annoying me more, personality wise. 

That Kate is a piece of work, huh? That was wildly wrong of her to take the hide after Jeff got it down and kindly let her use it. Plus taking the knife too! I guess having souvenirs of her few days was more important to her than leaving behind a good impression with the world of viewers watching. What a Rat Fink! I bet they had a robe for her in the truck she left in. 

She was even more annoying than Jeff who volunteered to walk all the way back for her rope she left behind that they needed, and having the nerve to keep saying “Hurry up” to him. She should have gone back to get her own damn rope. At least she left her rope behind and left Jeff a replacement for his stolen one. All she has done was reinforce to Jeffs way of thinking, that it does not pay off to be nice to others. It was an opportunity to teach him something with positive reinforcement, and she showed her true colors. 

I bet he was stopped by production from outright stealing the bow Gary just dropped down onto Lindsey. It was not something left unattended as the rules specified.

The first Last Man Standing was a trial show, which now production can see where they made their mistakes in not being more thorough in the rules which back then, the players made flexible for their own benefits. I am glad they are being more specific with the rules, this time. 

I am glad they all got some food to eat and that Patrick and Jeff felt they got over on Dani the rope stealer, by scarfing up the baobab flowers to eat that vegetarian Dani seems to have overlooked laying right in front of her.

I just love those cool looking Baobab trees. I wish I could grown one in my yard. 

Trish’s  weaving skills finally came in very handy with her net idea. That was a lot of fine sized fish it scooped up! 

2 hours ago, SassyCat said:

That was wildly wrong of her to take the hide after Jeff got it down and kindly let her use it. Plus taking the knife too!

Well, we don't know what wasn't shown.  Seems Jeff and Patrick both might have pissed her off enough somehow to take the stuff and deny them a win.  Pure speculation.

Like Lindsey leaving her stuff.  Very noble TV and they all seemed very tight, had she not wanted one of Gary or Dani to win, she could have taken it.  Again, speculation.

Well, speculation yes. 

I do try to comment on what is being shown, and try not to formulate conclusions from not shown, unknown events. They have not shown footage of big strifes between Kate, Jeff and Patrick. So, thats how I base my impressions of her.

Over the years and episodes she has been in, she has not played well with others and seems, to me, stubborn and unwilling to adjust her personality to be more compatible with her Co-Nakies while out there in survival land. A place where it is better to at least try to be cooperative with other people the same naked boat.

I stick by my impression of her and unrelenting stubbornness to place herself in others shoes.

She only sees Kates world and the ways and how she would desire it to be, while unwilling to accept a different perspective, herself…. From what I have been shown of her.

She had no reason to take the hide Jeff alone WON and LENT her, other than to be petty and wanting it for her own homes livingroom decor. 

Souvenirs. 
Narcissists come in all shapes and sizes.

• Like 3