Type keyword(s) to search

Good Witch - General Discussion

• Start Topic

23 hours ago, chediavolo said:

Heart transplant dr: Is she a transgender woman? I forgot. This show can be so boring I miss things.  And yes, her hair does not look as nice at it could be. Too much product? 

Nope. The hair and make up person on set just struggles with her. She definitely has tricky features, but I've seen other shows style her better. 

D4JU7TeU4AE6yCX.jpg

Amin%2C_2258.jpg

• Love 2
On 6/27/2021 at 8:06 PM, Suzy S. said:

I’m not at all happy with the Hallmark channel putting a lesbian storyline into Good Witch.  We are bombarded with same sex relationships on network TV, I don’t appreciate it here. I’ve always praised Hallmark channel for being good and wholesome story lines.  What has happened here? I don’t feel it is needed here. I will stop watching the show. 

I mean, as a straight girl with fairly moderate-conservative entertainment tastes (hence the Hallmark viewing), I’m not sure how two women holding hands and having ice cream can be seen as “unwholesome,” but YMMV, I guess. 

Hallmark is slowly catching up with actual society: just a couple of years ago I had a Hallmark Movie Drinking Game that included, among other things, taking two sips of your mocktail any time a movie had a named POC who wasn’t the main character’s assistant/mayor/Black Woman who Sings Heartfelt Carol. Now we’re seeing Black actors as the main characters, interracial relationships, Jewish-Christian relationships, and, yes, occasional same-sex couples - all with the Hallmark-standard utter absence of edginess, and I personally don’t see it as a bad thing. Hallmark has been showing unrealistic, watered down, hetero white Christian people romances for years and it doesn’t hurt anyone for them to present unrealistic, watered down romances that include everyone else. I’m here for Equal Opportunity Mediocrity!

Back to this specific example of mediocrity: I, too, miss the variety afforded by the shop and the inn, and I hope that the shift to such a narrow focus is COVID-related rather than because someone thought having yet another season-long quest was a good idea. 

One thing I’ve noticed in several comments here is something about tension between Bell and Denton, or dissatisfaction from him...? Does anyone have a Cliffs Notes version to share?

• Love 9
16 minutes ago, sharifa70 said:

Equal Opportunity Mediocrity!

That's Hallmark!!  My neighbor's husband watches Hallmark mysteries.  She and I have said if you've seen one Hallmark movie, then you've seen them all.  I began watching The Good Witch movies because they weren't standard Hallmark fare and I'm finding the recent seasons quite deadly.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, sharifa70 said:

Back to this specific example of mediocrity: I, too, miss the variety afforded by the shop and the inn, and I hope that the shift to such a narrow focus is COVID-related rather than because someone thought having yet another season-long quest was a good idea. 

Unfortunately, this change started well before COVID.  It is just part of their trend of moving away from the theme of a good witch helping people with her powers.  It is in line with transforming the occult shop into a Hallmark clone, Cassie no longer dressing  all in black,  and there being hardly a trace of the *real* magic which it once had.

• Love 6
(edited)
On 7/1/2021 at 4:13 PM, sharifa70 said:

One thing I’ve noticed in several comments here is something about tension between Bell and Denton, or dissatisfaction from him...? Does anyone have a Cliffs Notes version to share?

I think it is just an impression people have based on their lack of chemistry the last couple of seasons and reduced scenes in some episodes. And James Denton just seems generally unhappy on screen. 

Edited by jada
  • Love 1

I read today on this site that Good Witch has been cancelled.  There will be no 8th season.  I'm not surprised as this show has definitely gone down hill.  It's a shame it probably won't have a proper ending as I'm sure it was filmed before they found out about the cancellation.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Linda956 said:

I read today on this site that Good Witch has been cancelled.  There will be no 8th season.  I'm not surprised as this show has definitely gone down hill.  It's a shame it probably won't have a proper ending as I'm sure it was filmed before they found out about the cancellation.

I am not surprised in the slightest.  It is such a shame because Good Witch was such a special, don’t miss show to me and to so many.  It has lost its “magic” in every way and that was its downfall (that, and Catherine Bell’s repeat plastic surgery face IMO).  

• Love 7

It's been a long time coming.  Hallmark really doesn't know how to write stories about anything other than couples falling in love.  The show has been really, really boring and bad for quite some time.

I'll miss Martha.  She was the only reason I was watching.  She was so over-the-top and absurd, but she was fun.  

Good Witch at one point was their highest rated show I believe.  It's probably WCtH now but that one can't go on forever (though they might try!).  We'll see what happens with Chesapeake Shores after Jesse Metcalfe leaves.  I wonder if there are any more scripted series in the works, it seems like Hallmark is just becoming all Reba/Golden Girls.

• Love 3

I think it is time to put the show  to rest.  They strayed so far from what the show was supposed to be about, a good witch using her powers to help others.  They obviously had no idea what to do with the show without that.  

• Love 5
8 hours ago, dubstepford wife said:

I'll miss Martha.  She was the only reason I was watching.  She was so over-the-top and absurd, but she was fun.

She was my favorite character too.  Maybe they could do a spinoff - "The Mayor of Middleton".  With the best of intentions, she interferes with people's lives, with disastrous results.  Of course she always manages to fix things so they ultimately turn out well, but it would be fun to watch.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

She was my favorite character too.  Maybe they could do a spinoff - "The Mayor of Middleton".  With the best of intentions, she interferes with people's lives, with disastrous results.  Of course she always manages to fix things so they ultimately turn out well, but it would be fun to watch.

Indeed!

• Love 2

I am sad that this show is going off the air. Everybody is right that they went off course when they dropped the magic and made into a waspy telenovela. Stephanie’s love life and the new cousins lesbian storyline were both significant miss-steps.

We can only hope that moving on will help with Catherine Bell’s clinical depression. Getting away from that stolid mope James Denton will be a great start.

• Love 5
(edited)

Does anyone know if there are any new series in the works?  That leaves only When Calls the Heart and Chesapeake Shores.  I still haven't forgiven Hallmark for cancelling Signed, Sealed, Delivered. I have no idea what they are doing with When Hope Calls, although I'm not paying for another streaming service to watch it.

But back to the topic -- Maybe Hallmark is putting all of their money into mystery series.  They seem to be churning those out regularly. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the Good Witch regulars pop up in their own mysteries. Who would you like to see get their own series?

Does anyone know if the writers knew that the last episode was going to be the series finale when it was written?

Edited by ShelleySue
fixed typos
(edited)
13 hours ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

Oh, look! In this latest preview, they're actually saying the W word.

I know - I almost fell off my chair!!  That was never even done in the movies.  Maybe, for the last 3 episodes, they knew they might be cancelled and decided to throw in actual witchy things and magic.  They are cancelling the series just as it's getting back to its roots!  

I had another nearly-fell-off-my-couch moment when the cousins lit the candles with magic!!  Whoo hoo.  And, for those of you complaining that you missed the Bell Book and Candle, it was back in the latest episode. 

I take back my earlier worry that George's girlfriend would be annoying. I find myself actually liking her.  Dottie Davenport was interesting in this one too.  Cassie and Sam were the most annoying part of this third-to-last episode.

Now we just need another talking to animals or animals as familiars scene to make me happy. Oh, and talking to plants with plants responding.  Someone this season was paying at least a bit of attention.  They put back in the broom and the Merriwick flower. It's like, one of the writers actually watched the movies and series!

ETA:  One thing that was a "miss" for me this episode was that, during the storyline with Sam's stupid injury (Can you tell I hate that storyline?) Cassie never once offered him a tea or healing balm or anything.  Maybe Sam would have been skeptical, but he had at least obtained a grudging respect for how she worked and her good results in the first couple of seasons. 

Edited by Cowgirl
  • Love 4

I had another nearly-fell-off-my-couch moment when the cousins lit the candles with magic!!

Not only that, but they actually scried for something. They've never done that before either.

Someone this season was paying at least a bit of attention.  

This was another episode written by Vincent Pagano. He seems to understand what this show is supposed to be about. He's obviously also familiar with history. We actually got a Jake mention.

So it never occurred to Joy that a firefighter might have to fight fires? How dumb is she?

When Martha was looking through the binoculars in Cassie's shop she was looking through the wrong end.

Speaking of Martha, it was pretty crappy of her to accept another offer for the flowers from Abigail's rival. If she's a close enough friend to invite to her anniversary party she at least owes her the courtesy of a heads up and the chance to counter the offer.

I don't have much confidence they'll have a proper series ending. 

• Love 7

Finally back in Bell, book and candle - although, it looks different/bigger now. 

Nice mention of Jake as well.

Joy and her girlfriend are very deep into their relationship for people who have only been on one date.  I wish we had one more season with them. We are actually starting to explore witchy thigs. 

Proper fight between Cassie and Sam 🤯

• Love 1

I missed the first 20 minutes of the episode; it sounds like I missed the best part. 

I wonder if they knew ahead of time they were going to be canceled.  It does seem like they wrote this season as just filler to finish out the episodes.  Last night's anniversary party episode definitely seemed like one long filler.

I found the Sam/Cassie fight unpleasant, but given the lack of chemistry between them it actually felt more real than the "I love you truly" line.  The result of the fight cracked me up - there they are in a bed and breakfast with no guests, and Sam is sleeping on the couch??

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
On 7/9/2021 at 7:10 PM, MerBearHou said:

I am not surprised in the slightest.  It is such a shame because Good Witch was such a special, don’t miss show to me and to so many.  It has lost its “magic” in every way and that was its downfall (that, and Catherine Bell’s repeat plastic surgery face IMO).  

You are spot-on about the downfall. As for Catherine Bell’s appearance-I recently spent about 15-20 minutes inspecting the images section of IMDb’s JAG page. For the life of me, I can’t figure out what she’s done, except age. I’ll admit, it looks like she’s got an enhanced upper lip now, and overall, she’s a bit puffy, but in all the Jag promotional pictures, her upper lip looks touched up (as opposed to the in-scene shots). I say this because her upper lip in the candid shots lacks the two defined arcs upward toward the nostrils. Doesn’t every woman who wears makeup outline those upward and fill in with color? Back then, she had prominent cheekbones, on a fairly heart-shaped face. Now, the fleshy area below the cheekbones is more filled out. I guess what I’m trying to say is, since we don’t know, it could possibly be a combination of aging, cosmetics, and even any medication she’s been prescribed. I just focus on her eyes-those haven’t changed a lot. 

• Love 1
On 7/12/2021 at 1:01 PM, iMonrey said:

This was another episode written by Vincent Pagano. He seems to understand what this show is supposed to be about. He's obviously also familiar with history. We actually got a Jake mention.

Yes!  I wondered if it was after you and another poster mentioned he seemed to be a good writer who cared about the canon, upthread.  

I forgot to mention the scrying.  Although, it seemed a bit like an episode of "Charmed" at that point, I'll take it! I was happy with the Jake mention too.  

@iMonrey, thanks for the reminder about Martha and the binoculars.  I noticed that too, and wondered if anyone else would get the joke.  

I keep wondering how on earth you pack a cake to get all the way to France in one, non-squished piece!! Also, Stephanie may have decorated it but didn't seem to have baked any of the cakes. I just assume an assistant at the Bistro did that for Martha out of this kindness of his/her heart, knowing Stephanie wouldn't mind.  Or, maybe Stephanie did bake them and leave them out at the Bistro, as per Martha's bidding, but she seemed surprised when they came upon the challenge. 

• Love 2

Speaking of the cakes, I got a kick out of the idea that all these people who had probably never decorated a cake in their lives could duplicate the model, complete with frosting flowers.  Did they realize how hard it is to make those?  And yet everyone's cake wound up looking exactly like the model.

Sorry, nitpicking again...

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Daff said:

You are spot-on about the downfall. As for Catherine Bell’s appearance-I recently spent about 15-20 minutes inspecting the images section of IMDb’s JAG page. For the life of me, I can’t figure out what she’s done, except age. I’ll admit, it looks like she’s got an enhanced upper lip now, and overall, she’s a bit puffy, but in all the Jag promotional pictures, her upper lip looks touched up (as opposed to the in-scene shots). I say this because her upper lip in the candid shots lacks the two defined arcs upward toward the nostrils. Doesn’t every woman who wears makeup outline those upward and fill in with color? Back then, she had prominent cheekbones, on a fairly heart-shaped face. Now, the fleshy area below the cheekbones is more filled out. I guess what I’m trying to say is, since we don’t know, it could possibly be a combination of aging, cosmetics, and even any medication she’s been prescribed. I just focus on her eyes-those haven’t changed a lot. 

For awhile, I have felt like Catherine did some face work seasonally in the later years of this series (I didn’t see JAG) — her lips were swollen and didn’t move as they should, then they’d eventually “relax” and get a bit better.  It’s in her lips — agreed, not her eye area — but for me, it’s distracting and just hard to look at (like other actresses that have made mistakes with fillers — Courteney Cox and Meg Ryan come to mind, but they were far more drastic).  She had such a serene, unique look in the earlier years and I loved it.  

• Love 3

Martha and Tom really are the best part about this show. Their card exchange reminded me of the time my then-best friend (early 20’s) and I gave each other the same book for Christmas. I opened mine first and it cracked me up; she opened hers and found it completely mortifying (I didn’t tell her I’d actually bought a copy for myself when I bought hers). Like, her embarrassment was completely out of proportion to the mishap that was inevitable: it was a new release from an author I’d been reading for years; I always bought that author’s books the minute they came out; and I was the one who’d introduced my friend to her. I appreciated seeing Martha come up with a creative solution, unrealistic as the cake decorating was.

If Cassie was mad at Sam for working (full stop), that’s silly. However, if she was upset because he’d promised to be there and then left her in the lurch to go back to work, then he strolled back in all la-la-la nothing’s wrong here, I’d be pretty annoyed too. One of my biggest pet peeves is making plans with someone then having them cancel at the last minute or cut things drastically short because they double-booked. It’s so freaking disrespectful. I might be projecting....

• Love 3

I forgot the reason why I wanted to comment yesterday. It really irks me when TV always shows people sniffing chrysanthemums, especially when they come away with a whistful smile, like they smelled something pleasant!
Agreed, Martha’s little group competition was inspired and allowed for us to see more of the town. And apparently, Stephanie’s cafe has now grown up-to a “restaurant”, with “mood”! Will she still serve specialty sandwiches, named for town folks?

As for Catherine Bell’s appearance-I recently spent about 15-20 minutes inspecting the images section of IMDb’s JAG page. For the life of me, I can’t figure out what she’s done, except age.

It looks to me like she's had too many fillers. They inject collagen into your face to smooth out lines and wrinkles. The natural creases that go from the sides of your nose down to the corners of your mouth are completely filled in and invisible on her face. It looks really weird and unnatural. 

I keep wondering how on earth you pack a cake to get all the way to France in one, non-squished piece!!

Now, I tend to zone out when they shift to Stephanie so I wasn't paying enough attention to catch what kind of school she was trying to get into, but I fail to see what good it would do to mail a cake to them. How can she even prove she's the one who baked it? And why would they want her to write an essay? For a baking school??

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Daff said:

And apparently, Stephanie’s cafe has now grown up-to a “restaurant”, with “mood”! Will she still serve specialty sandwiches, named for town folks?

Well, she does already have the Tinsdale on Toast...

• LOL 4
On 7/14/2021 at 8:11 PM, sharifa70 said:

One of my biggest pet peeves is making plans with someone then having them cancel at the last minute or cut things drastically short because they double-booked. It’s so freaking disrespectful.

Especially after everyone at work cautioned Sam to “ease back into it”. I understand what you’re saying-the underlying sentiment being, “YOU are just not that Important!” (with a capital “I”)

• Love 2
On 7/12/2021 at 9:21 AM, ShelleySue said:

But back to the topic -- Maybe Hallmark is putting all of their money into mystery series.  They seem to be churning those out regularly. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the Good Witch regulars pop up in their own mysteries. Who would you like to see get their own series?

OMG--I can see Martha and Tom solving mysteries together!

" The Middleton Mayor Mysteries"

I'd definitely watch!

• Love 10
On 7/12/2021 at 6:21 AM, ShelleySue said:

Maybe Hallmark is putting all of their money into mystery series.  They seem to be churning those out regularly. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the Good Witch regulars pop up in their own mysteries.

22 hours ago, TVForever said:

OMG--I can see Martha and Tom solving mysteries together!

" The Middleton Mayor Mysteries"

I'd definitely watch!

I would totally watch the Middleton Mayor Mysteries - if Hallmark would move their mysteries to their regular channel.  I am so tired of their cookie-cutter romances.

I could see Martha and Tom working together, with Tom the calm and sensible one and Martha flying off on crazy theories about whodunnit (and maybe accidentally getting it right!).  Great fun!

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

Well no one seemed to be in a rush to find that amulet.  There seemed to be more of an urgency in the sprint last week and the prize was a ride in a hot air balloon, not the lives of the Merriwick cousins.

From the promos I thought that telling Zoe that Joy (and Cassie and Abigail) was a witch was a big deal.  But everyone was, "oh yea, that."

As you can tell from my previous comments throughout this season I have thought that the show went downhill. But I really thought it was due to constraints in filming due to COVID (eg why no guests at the B&B). I in no way thought it had gone down enough to cancel the show and am very surprised that Hallmark made such a drastic decision.  Maybe I have a suspicious mind, but I feel like something else is in play.  There must be something that went on behind the scenes that led to this cancellation.  Am I the only one that feels this way?

• Love 3

I think it had veered so far from the initial premise and the audience drop plus the age of the show made it an obvious cut.  Actor's salaries usually go up the longer the show is on the air while at the same time advertising rates go down with fewer viewers.  The profitability line gets crossed and the show ends.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

What happens with Grace with this whole amulet thing?  After all, she’s a Merriwick too and possesses witchy powers.  Did she faint at college at the same time as the others?

I'm thinking Grace (and whatever Sam's kid's name is) come home for the finale, and even though she's a Merriwick, Grace somehow saves the day.

I wondered about Grace fainting too.

I can't believe they are cancelling this show just as the words "witches" and "magic" are FINALLY acknowledged.  

No Samantha in this episode.  Probably because they had to use the budget to pay the actor who plays Mr. Davenport.  Why doesn't Mr. Davenport just talk to his wife about cutting back? She won't lead the luxe lifestyle and he will cut down on working. Pursue a new hobby together and reconnect.

I keep thinking it's a good thing that fireplace at Grey House has never been replaced!  First a loose brick held something a few years ago (I think it was something the author's relative had hidden a couple of seasons back) and now the front panel slides open.  

And now Cassie is either having delusions or seeing ghosts. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

I think it had veered so far from the initial premise and the audience drop plus the age of the show made it an obvious cut.  Actor's salaries usually go up the longer the show is on the air while at the same time advertising rates go down with fewer viewers.  The profitability line gets crossed and the show ends.

I get that.  But do they usually make a decision to cancel a show without letting the actors and writers know during the filming? With a show like this it seems like they should have made an announcement that the next season would be the final season. That would give time for a proper send-off.  They've even announced that there are no plans for future movies.

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, ShelleySue said:

But do they usually make a decision to cancel a show without letting the actors and writers know during the filming?

Quite frequently.  It happens to a few shows during the spring each year on the big four to find out they're done even after wrapping filming for the season or as they're filming the last two or three episodes.  The network has zero obligation to involve the production in their decision or the timing of the decision.  This is why some show creators put a timeline on the show so they can decide how it goes out or if they sense the end is near they try to set up the season finale such that it would make a good series finale.  They don't always have that luxury.  

• Love 4
On 6/21/2021 at 12:21 PM, treeofdreams said:

I thought last night's episode was an improvement; at least there was one cohesive storyline, one which included some of the other storylines that have been going on.  Wishes coming true even provided a touch of magic.

But I couldn't help thinking, if the wishing well was so powerful at fulfilling wishes, why didn't people use it more often?  Toss a coin in it and poof! whatever you wish for is granted

Apparently it only works if the magic gets all stored up, then suddenly released by three witches. 

Hey, it makes more sense than most of this show. 

1 hour ago, ShelleySue said:

I get that.  But do they usually make a decision to cancel a show without letting the actors and writers know during the filming? With a show like this it seems like they should have made an announcement that the next season would be the final season. That would give time for a proper send-off.  They've even announced that there are no plans for future movies.

At least this opens up Catherine Bell to do the only other acting job anyone might possibly see her in (some theoretical JAG reboot). 

On 6/29/2021 at 12:14 PM, iMonrey said:

Also, was Catherine Bell wearing a wig in this episode? That opening scene in particular, her hair didn't look quite real. What's with the bangs? Covering scars from more plastic surgery? She's had way too many fillers, or too much botox, or something. Her face is just so puffy and weird looking.

I normally wouldn't jump on that bandwagon, but I agree whatever she's had done has gone too far.  I don't know what age her character is supposed to be at this point, but she's 52.  Would it be so bad for her to accept it?  She's got good genes. It wouldn't be too bad. She HAD a steady job until now. 

• Love 3

Has Sam always known about the search for the amulet?

Finally, grey house guests...ooops, it was a mirage. 

What happened to the plot with the french teacher? Was that done after that one date?

Clearly, there's not much happening in Middleton since everyone is able to drop everything to look for this amulet. And turning up to do this dressed up and not in casual clothes. 

Pretending Sam has known about Cassie being a witch for a while. Surely, that should have been an episode in itself? 

• Love 6

I get that.  But do they usually make a decision to cancel a show without letting the actors and writers know during the filming?

It's also possible that contract renewal talks broke down or that at least some of the cast/crew had signed on to other commitments. I have no inside info, but it's not uncommon for a production company to simply pull the plug on an aging and flagging show rather than commit to another period of time/episodes. There'd be no guarantee of a return on their financial risk.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, jada said:

Clearly, there's not much happening in Middleton since everyone is able to drop everything to look for this amulet. And turning up to do this dressed up and not in casual clothes.

I thought this too.  This happens a lot on small town shows though -- whenever there's a crisis, everyone in town appears to help, regardless of what they were doing before.  

Is this weekend the last episode?  I'm guessing we won't see Grace or Nick make a guest appearance for the series finale.  That being said I wouldn't be surprised at all if next Halloween they do a movie and get the gang back together.  It's too late for this year but I can't see them totally abandoning this universe.  It's probably not profitable to do the show anymore but an occasional movie is relatively cheap to put together, especially on this network.

• Love 4

This show took a weird turn right at the end, didn't it? After seven seasons of backing away from the idea of Cassie being a witch now they come right out and say they're witches. Maybe that's why they cancelled the show. Either that or they knew they'd be cancelled and said the heck with it, let's just say they're witches. Either way, it's a turning point. Not once in seven seasons has Cassie or Abigail actually admitted being a witch. 

And yes, everyone showed up to search and then mostly sat around pondering their own issues, especially Stephanie. I don't think she lifted a finger looking for the amulet. 

I just wish they'd pay more attention to history. This episode suggested that Cassie grew up in Grey House before her parents died. But in the first movie, Grey House was long-abandoned and everyone thought it was haunted and it was all run down. Cassie said she inherited it from a distant ancestor. If it was her parents' house why didn't she just say that? The entire plot of the second movie was based around the ownership.

• Love 7

I have never understood their decision to dewitch the show.  If people object to the witch stuff, why on earth would they be watching a show called Good Witch!?  It was that very witchiness that kept us fans of the movies, and watching the series.

Once they went in that direction, the writing just got sloppy, especially the last few seasons of the series.  There was no more heart of the show, just floundering around filling up time.  And as for history and continuity of story, that went out the window as well.

So disappointing.  They could have had a really great show if they had kept on with the  story the movies began.

• Love 6
(edited)

Abigail says she hasn't told Donovan she's a witch, but I thought it was obvious by now. She anticipates the phone ringing before it does, she knows about curses, her family is looking for an amulet, and now she reads minds.

Edited by Noneofyourbusiness
  • Love 6