Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E19: Option Two

• Start Topic

On 4/27/2018 at 11:16 PM, NossohSeven said:

So I heard Candyman say he just saw Robin drawing a blue chick with balls

Am I the only one who wondered why it took them so long to make a joke about that?

Talbot: She drew me a chick juggling balls.
Daisy: Those weren't her balls...
Talbot: (shrugs) Chicks, am I right?

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Lobsel Vith said:

The issue that comes into play is not simply the stakes - which was the world in the case of Fitz and Simmons, since they both acknowledge that Ruby might destroy the planet - but also Fitz's conduct with Daisy, which is the shadow that looms over how he gave in to Ruby. That's why this isn't the same.

Moving on, I understand that May and Daisy don't want to lose him, but this solution isn't going to work if Coulson doesn't agree to it.

If I remember from season 1 that stuff is pretty unstable unless they added the GH325

7 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

I can't imagine how this is going to play out. I don't even try to guess because this show pulls stuff out of left field regularly. 

Yeah, they could end up surprising us.

1 hour ago, Froippi said:

If I remember from season 1 that stuff is pretty unstable unless they added the GH325

Yeah, Garrett was looking for a permanent solution. Daisy seemed to be looking at Garrett's initial cocktail (the one he was using before he discovered how Coulson was brought back to life), and Garrett's temporary remedy seemed to also include cybernetics (he was the first Deathlok). I think the situation is going to be complicated enough that May and Daisy are going to have to talk about it with Coulson at some point - if this is going to involve cybernetics and taking this cocktail regularly, and Coulson still seems set on dying at this point.

• Love 1

Also, question: do other people know about Deke being a Fitzsimmons? Because Jemma was talking to Fitz over the walkies and asked if Deke has blinked out of existence right in front of Elena and other agents, and then Deke called Fitz Gramps in the main room around a whole bunch of the other characters, but I wasn't sure if that was supposed to be him TV whispering or not.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Also, question: do other people know about Deke being a Fitzsimmons? Because Jemma was talking to Fitz over the walkies and asked if Deke has blinked out of existence right in front of Elena and other agents, and then Deke called Fitz Gramps in the main room around a whole bunch of the other characters, but I wasn't sure if that was supposed to be him TV whispering or not.

Simmons told Elena (in the episode where Elena helped break Fitz out of his cell), but we haven't had a scene where any of the other agents have been told.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Lobsel Vith said:

Yeah, they could end up surprising us.

Yeah, Garrett was looking for a permanent solution. Daisy seemed to be looking at Garrett's initial cocktail (the one he was using before he discovered how Coulson was brought back to life), and Garrett's temporary remedy seemed to also include cybernetics (he was the first Deathlok). I think the situation is going to be complicated enough that May and Daisy are going to have to talk about it with Coulson at some point - if this is going to involve cybernetics and taking this cocktail regularly, and Coulson still seems set on dying at this point.

I am going with the Star Trek medicine example of one treatment works forever since Dr Whitehall wasn't seen needing  continued  Jaiying treatments to maintain a younger age. I forgot what kind of condition Garrett has but Phil suffered a trauma and his body is breaking down at that point. And his Kree juice can't keep up due to being a Ghost Rider to take out one target.

With a possible series finale and Coulson announced in the Captain Marvel movie I am betting that the cyborg hand along with the extremis/Jaiying treatment cocktail makes him another Deathlok instead of 

Spoiler

Simmons

as was done in the comic's adaptation (the TV show and most of the characters came first in this instance). Thus Clark Gregg is allowed back into the movie club after the fall out from Avengers 3 and 4.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Raja said:

I am going with the Star Trek medicine example of one treatment works forever since Dr Whitehall wasn't seen needing  continued  Jaiying treatments to maintain a younger age. I forgot what kind of condition Garrett has but Phil suffered a trauma and his body is breaking down at that point. And his Kree juice can't keep up due to being a Ghost Rider to take out one target.

Whitehall drained Jiaying's entire body to make that happen, and Jiaying has been dead for years now (which is admittedly what I find odd about the narrative decision to use her given body decomposition). I'm not saying it isn't possible (since it's ultimately up to the writers how they want to resolve Coulson's current dilemma, presuming they want to spare him), but if Daisy is going off of Garrett's initial cocktail (which seems to be what the Candyman gave her), and how Garrett and Coulson both had injuries that were meant to kill them (although, in Coulson's case, it technically did), I'd presume that it shouldn't only be one.

28 minutes ago, Raja said:

With a possible series finale and Coulson announced in the Captain Marvel movie I am betting that the cyborg hand along with the extremis/Jaiying treatment cocktail makes him another Deathlok instead of 

Reveal hidden contents

Simmons

as was done in the comic's adaptation (the TV show and most of the characters came first in this instance). Thus Clark Gregg is allowed back into the movie club after the fall out from Avengers 3 and 4.

Captain Marvel is going to be a prequel, so I don't think present day Coulson will factor much into it (especially with the schism between the film and television divisions of Marvel having issues with one another, I don't see AoS factoring into any of the movies at all).

8 minutes ago, Lobsel Vith said:

Whitehall drained Jiaying's entire body to make that happen, and Jiaying has been dead for years now (which is admittedly what I find odd about the narrative decision to use her given body decomposition). I'm not saying it isn't possible (since it's ultimately up to the writers how they want to resolve Coulson's current dilemma, presuming they want to spare him), but if Daisy is going off of Garrett's initial cocktail (which seems to be what the Candyman gave her), and how Garrett and Coulson both had injuries that were meant to kill them (although, in Coulson's case, it technically did), I'd presume that it shouldn't only be one.

Captain Marvel is going to be a prequel, so I don't think present day Coulson will factor much into it (especially with the schism between the film and television divisions of Marvel having issues with one another, I don't see AoS factoring into any of the movies at all).

The first Captain Marvel would just reintroduce Coulson, my bet is for Avengers 4 and the movies after that one 

11 hours ago, Lobsel Vith said:

The issue that comes into play is not simply the stakes - which was the world in the case of Fitz and Simmons, since they both acknowledge that Ruby might destroy the planet - but also Fitz's conduct with Daisy, which is the shadow that looms over how he gave in to Ruby. That's why this isn't the same.

Moving on, I understand that May and Daisy don't want to lose him, but this solution isn't going to work if Coulson doesn't agree to it.

Assuming of course that Daisy gives Coulson a choice in the matter. She and May have consistently ignored Coulson when he’s told them not to try and save him. If they have something that they believe will prolong his life do you think that they’ll hesitate to use it?  

I for one will be most amused if after all the railing against Fitz for performing a medical procedure without consent, that Daisy then turns around and does the same thing to Coulson. 

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, Ceindreadh said:

Assuming of course that Daisy gives Coulson a choice in the matter. She and May have consistently ignored Coulson when he’s told them not to try and save him. If they have something that they believe will prolong his life do you think that they’ll hesitate to use it?  

The issue is still that, if Coulson has to regularly take this remedy to stay alive, it's not like he can be coerced into doing so. Garrett's remedy wasn't permanent, which is why he needed to find out how Coulson was brought back.

19 minutes ago, Ceindreadh said:

I for one will be most amused if after all the railing against Fitz for performing a medical procedure without consent, that Daisy then turns around and does the same thing to Coulson. 

It's wrong for May and Daisy to ignore Coulson's wishes once all is said and done, but considering that Daisy was being tortured in the process of the inhibitor being removed, it wouldn't quite be the same thing unless Coulson was also tortured in the process of his life being saved (and we saw how suicidal Coulson was the first time he regained all his memories in season one of the process that saved his life, so I can understand why he wouldn't want to go through that again).

2 hours ago, Raja said:

Reveal hidden contents

Simmons

Wasn't there a fan theory (dating back to Season 1) that speculated that Coulson was an LMD? Also, I don't think you need spoiler tags for something from the comic book. It was canceled a long time ago (way back either in 2016 or 2017) and I don't think Marvel has been re-issuing any old issues as well.

19 minutes ago, Lobsel Vith said:

The issue is still that, if Coulson has to regularly take this remedy to stay alive, it's not like he can be coerced into doing so. Garrett's remedy wasn't permanent, which is why he needed to find out how Coulson was brought back.

It's wrong for May and Daisy to ignore Coulson's wishes once all is said and done, but considering that Daisy was being tortured in the process of the inhibitor being removed, it wouldn't quite be the same thing unless Coulson was also tortured in the process of his life being saved (and we saw how suicidal Coulson was the first time he regained all his memories in season one of the process that saved his life, so I can understand why he wouldn't want to go through that again).

So if Fitz had been able to give Daisy a proper anaesthetic or painkillers then that would have been ok?

Just now, Ceindreadh said:

So if Fitz had been able to give Daisy a proper anaesthetic or painkillers then that would have been ok?

I said in the post you quoted that May and Daisy are wrong to ignore Coulson's wishes, but that it's not going to be the same as Daisy enduring torture at Fitz's hands (unless Coulson is tortured in the process, in which case it would be the same).

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Lobsel Vith said:

I said in the post you quoted that May and Daisy are wrong to ignore Coulson's wishes, but that it's not going to be the same as Daisy enduring torture at Fitz's hands (unless Coulson is tortured in the process, in which case it would be the same).

Oh good gosh I can actually see them doing against his will and if this ends up happening idk what else to say

20 minutes ago, Froippi said:

Oh good gosh I can actually see them doing against his will and if this ends up happening idk what else to say

Given how the writers have set up that Coulson needs to die via Future Elena's prophecy, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the route they take to "break" the loop (I'd imagine Future Elena would have said something entirely different if there was another scenario that was meant to happen). And given the fracture with the team, I suspect everyone might be going their own way - Elena and Mack are on the outs (and Mack expressed a desire to leave early this season), Fitz and Simmons aren't seeing eye to eye with Daisy, and May could go either way.

That was a good episode. I knew it wouldn't be Daisy or Ruby, but I would never guessed Talbot! I'm excited for next week.

I liked how May didn't seem to judge YoYo, and gave her some advice from her experience.

I also like that the prior hurts are not being swept under the rug too quickly. Some fallout is good drama. I absolutely believe they will eventually get past this tho.

Put me in the camp that if Daisy and May force whatever cure they think they got on Coulson, that it will be exactly like what Fitz did to Daisy. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Froippi said:

Also I like to add how what Mack said to YoYo about that is not what we do here is actually bs seen them make questionable calls like that before 

Mack seems to be the only one who is trying to hold onto his ideals at this point, but he is fighting a losing battle if he tries to convince anyone else. I get where he's coming from, but in dire situations like this, what's "right" and "wrong" can quickly go out the window. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Jemma was talking to Fitz over the walkies and asked if Deke has blinked out of existence

Fitz using his grandson a the "canary in the coal-mine" . . .  damn, that was cold.

But I did laugh when the kid said "I don't know what either of those things are."  It's going to be a rude awakening when someone explains that turn of phrase to him.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Teitr Styrr said:

Put me in the camp that if Daisy and May force whatever cure they think they got on Coulson, that it will be exactly like what Fitz did to Daisy. 

Yeah, at this point, I can totally see this happening. Coulson doesn't want the cure, so Daisy and May just strap him down and give it to him against his will, even if he is actively begging them not to. And then maybe Daisy realizes that she`s doing just what Fitz did (hurting a friend and going against their wishes because "its for the best") and either stops, or gets perspective on why Fitz did what he did. I dont think what Fitz did was right, but I do think he did, and continues to. Or, maybe this will make Fitz reevaluate what he did, and realize he went too far? 

Because, something is going to have to happen to either push the whole team to the brink, and they will either scatter, or have to come back together, and that will have to be achieved by everyone either admitting that what they've done lately was wrong, or coming to an understanding about why people did what they did, and that they had their reasons. or both. I do hope we get some serious soul searching soon, because things have gotten kind of ridiculous at this point. Everything is so depressing, the heroes are doing increasing messed up things, and thing just keep getting worse and worse, there has to be some kind of either a mending, or a full on break where everyone just has to figure their own shit out. That why I hope that maybe the next arc is a bit more like the Ghost Rider arc, where a lot of stuff was happening, but things weren't so "one crisis to the next" and everyone can take some time to think about whats happened and the choices they made. 

• Love 10
8 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Yeah, at this point, I can totally see this happening. Coulson doesn't want the cure, so Daisy and May just strap him down and give it to him against his will, even if he is actively begging them not to. And then maybe Daisy realizes that she`s doing just what Fitz did (hurting a friend and going against their wishes because "its for the best") and either stops, or gets perspective on why Fitz did what he did. I dont think what Fitz did was right, but I do think he did, and continues to. Or, maybe this will make Fitz reevaluate what he did, and realize he went too far? 

Because, something is going to have to happen to either push the whole team to the brink, and they will either scatter, or have to come back together, and that will have to be achieved by everyone either admitting that what they've done lately was wrong, or coming to an understanding about why people did what they did, and that they had their reasons. or both. I do hope we get some serious soul searching soon, because things have gotten kind of ridiculous at this point. Everything is so depressing, the heroes are doing increasing messed up things, and thing just keep getting worse and worse, there has to be some kind of either a mending, or a full on break where everyone just has to figure their own shit out. That why I hope that maybe the next arc is a bit more like the Ghost Rider arc, where a lot of stuff was happening, but things weren't so "one crisis to the next" and everyone can take some time to think about whats happened and the choices they made. 

Well said!

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Raja said:

Hide contents

Simmons

12 hours ago, Raja said:

The first Captain Marvel would just reintroduce Coulson, my bet is for Avengers 4 and the movies after that one 

When I heard that Coulson/Clark Gregg is going to be in Captain Marvel, I also was wondering if it was a sign that the writers are trying to transition Coulson back into the MCU and using Captain Marvel to remind viewers of just how gosh darn special he is.

5 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

That's how I feel about this season as well. It reminds me actually of Battlestar Galactica (though in IMHO BSG was much better done). But even in that show, they just kept piling up the misery and the morally dubious actions, until the show was just overwhelmed by how depressing it was. I'm curious about what's going to happen this season, but it's more like "oh, let's see what crazy/shitty thing is going to happen this week." As much as I thought S1 was aimless at times, it was at least more enjoyable to watch.

Edited by kitlee625
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, Lobsel Vith said:

Yes Dr. Whitehall did a lot of work from scratch, but it just occurred to me that so did Leopold in order to make Aida into a super Inhuman. And now Fitz would not be working from scratch but with proven MCU science.

I just heard a theory that the 8% transfer that Ruby got had the Franklin Hall and Quinn portion so Talbot would not face the three to five voices fighting inside of his head. On the other hand had had the compliance  brain washing and that might be protecting him from what Ruby and Creel faced.

3 hours ago, kitlee625 said:

That's how I feel about this season as well. It reminds me actually of Battlestar Galactica (though in IMHO BSG was better done). But even in that show, they just kept piling up the misery and the morally dubious actions, until the show was just overwhelmed by how depressing it was. I'm curious about what's going to happen this season, but it's more like "oh, let's see what crazy/shitty thing is going to happen this week." As much as I thought S1 was aimless at times, it was at least more enjoyable to watch.

BSG had a reason to be dark since it's original premise was "genocidal robots wipe out a race of space-faring humans and the survivors are left looking for a new home and to defeat/hide from the genocidal robots...." but this show didn't have that dark premise. Yes, the Hydra Reveal was dark but it wasn't as dark as watching a group of humans fighting for survival from genocidal robots dark, IMO, over and over again. Overall, the main characters are supposed to be not evil/amoral people but over the course of the show (and especially this season), they have done really evil things, IMO. Like for wainting to blow up a secret underground cave under San Juan but not caring if San Juan gets collapsed in, or wanting to leave someone (who in their mind was still alive) on an alien planet because of reasons, or torturing their friend, or selling someone to aliens for money an Inhuman slave, or working with your alien overlords are the same alien overlords that had your mother taken away to be murdered when you were like 9, or allowing an acient Inhuman into the world because (somehow) he got over their without you guys knowning, or torturing someone who is in a coma, etc.... Overall, there is just so much you can do with dark and depression characters until the audience just breaks. Where is this all going I don't know but I do feel like for a comic book show/superhero show the tone isn't the greatest of things. At least Daredevil has stuck to his principals and Jessica Jones is better written than this show. And I do think that maybe if the show as better written then just have the characters do 180 on their personality/love interests then maybe the show could've had higher ratings while still maintaining their dark tone?

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

Well, maybe amused isn't the word, but it will be ironic.

18 hours ago, Teitr Styrr said:

15 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

And then maybe Daisy realizes that she`s doing just what Fitz did (hurting a friend and going against their wishes because "its for the best")

The difference is that Fitz did it to save the world (many), Daisy would be doing it to save Coulson (one).

• Love 3

Talbot saving the day -- for now, until this goes horribly wrong -- was the only moment I've loved on this show all season. Adrian Pasdar and that ridiculous, glorious mustache are the best.

• Love 6
49 minutes ago, snarktini said:

Talbot saving the day -- for now, until this goes horribly wrong -- was the only moment I've loved on this show all season. Adrian Pasdar and that ridiculous, glorious mustache are the best.

Unfortunately with the beard the stash no longer pops out at you

• Love 1
(edited)
On 4/30/2018 at 8:44 AM, AngelKitty said:

The difference is that Fitz did it to save the world (many), Daisy would be doing it to save Coulson (one).

After Framework Ward having Ward’s victims used as props and the ridiculous handwaving of Deke, I don’t need to see this show gloss over any more atrocious actions. May and Daisy hurting Coulson wouldn’t mitigate the fact that Fitz didn’t even bother trying to speak with Daisy, and that his robots endangered the lives of everyone on the base. May and Daisy doing something bad doesn’t absolve Fitz of what he did to Daisy and Mack.

Also, I wouldn’t say he did it to save the world. He did have the chance to save the world, and he gave in to Ruby instead.

Edited by Lobsel Vith
  • Love 2
(edited)
11 hours ago, Lobsel Vith said:

After Framework Ward having Ward’s victims used as props and the ridiculous handwaving of Deke, I don’t need to see this show gloss over any more atrocious actions. May and Daisy hurting Coulson wouldn’t mitigate the fact that Fitz didn’t even bother trying to speak with Daisy, and that his robots endangered the lives of everyone on the base. May and Daisy doing something bad doesn’t absolve Fitz of what he did to Daisy and Mack.

Also, I wouldn’t say he did it to save the world. He did have the chance to save the world, and he gave in to Ruby instead.

Both him and Simmons gave into Ruby and Simmons was the one where she thought that they were "invincible" because of Deke existing and them believing of one timeline. When you think about they shouldn't have given into Ruby but they did and are the ones who started things in motion. Overall, it seems like they are the fuse that will have the world blown up.

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 4
On 4/29/2018 at 6:19 PM, kitlee625 said:

When I heard that Coulson/Clark Gregg is going to be in Captain Marvel, I also was wondering if it was a sign that the writers are trying to transition Coulson back into the MCU and using Captain Marvel to remind viewers of just how gosh darn special he is.

That's how I feel about this season as well. It reminds me actually of Battlestar Galactica (though in IMHO BSG was much better done). But even in that show, they just kept piling up the misery and the morally dubious actions, until the show was just overwhelmed by how depressing it was. I'm curious about what's going to happen this season, but it's more like "oh, let's see what crazy/shitty thing is going to happen this week." As much as I thought S1 was aimless at times, it was at least more enjoyable to watch.

I still think Coulson is pretty special! :)

Mr. Gothish is struggling through this season - he thinks it's gotten too dark.

For me, it just depends on what kind of dark - I'm all in, but I'm sure looking forward to the light at the end of this long ass tunnel.

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't know when Jed and Maurissa decided "Y'know what? We should make Talbot Graviton!" but I'm glad they did.

I think Deke will turn out to be right. He is in an alternate reality. I think May, FitzSimmons and Yoyo will end up in the timeline where the Earth is destroyed and be trapped in a timeloop, while Coulson, Daisy, Mack and Deke will stay in the timeline where the Earth wasn't destroyed, which also happens to be the current timeline of the movie MCU.

Edited by VCRTracking
On 4/29/2018 at 12:25 PM, Froippi said:

Also I like to add how what Mack said to YoYo about that is not what we do here is actually bs seen them make questionable calls like that before 

That was super annoying. SHIELD is the kind of super secret black ops people who should be doing that kind of stuff. Nick Fury wouldn't have wasted time trying to talk Ruby down. 

Also the whole "did you hear about what's happening in New York" was super weak, especially after seeing Infinity War.

Lastly those alien invader guys looked super cheesy. Did they have some left over alien costumes that weren't good enough for Inhumans?

• Love 4
On 5/6/2018 at 11:48 AM, Kel Varnsen said:

That was super annoying. SHIELD is the kind of super secret black ops people who should be doing that kind of stuff. Nick Fury wouldn't have wasted time trying to talk Ruby down. 

Also the whole "did you hear about what's happening in New York" was super weak, especially after seeing Infinity War.

Lastly those alien invader guys looked super cheesy. Did they have some left over alien costumes that weren't good enough for Inhumans?

Well to cross over to The Winter Soldier they said that most of those teams which did such work were their inner  Hydra members. Mac was  a mechanic from the  Real S.H.I.E.L.D 

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 11:48 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

I remembered the interesting and distinct aliens from Farscape (a show by the Jim Henson Company on the Scifi Channel that didn't have an extremely high budget or anything like that), and I felt like the aliens on this show paled in comparison.

• Love 2

So, not even a slap on the wrist for the three mutineers? Not even a discussion on whether Fitz should be in a cell again? But a lot of yelling at Yo-yo for "murdering" Ruby, as if that is somehow worse? Talk about contrived drama. Mack's "That's not us. We turn the other cheek" was one of the worst lines I have ever heard on TV. You kill enemy combatants all the time, Mack, there is a reason you carry a shotgun-axe and not, you know, an olive branch! It's absurd that Mack is more pissed about this than about the trick Yo-yo and FitzSimmons played on him before locking him in a cell.

Coulson's "I am in charge" statement was pretty funny in light of May and Daisy disobeying his commands literally minutes later. And, of course, everyone stupidly split up and allowed Talbot to use the doomsday machine.

Jemma and Yo-yo still think they are probably invincible. Just how much stupid pills are they taking these days? Yo-yo's superpowers seem to work just fine for some reason despite being almost unusable in the previous episode.

Good thing the aliens took the long way around instead of teleporting right where they wanted to go and were courteous enough to only kill unnamed red shirts. I was afraid they might kill Piper.

• Love 3