Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E19: Chapter Thirty-Two: Prisoners

• Start Topic

I don’t know. Last week was kind of fun and silly and reminded me of Riverdale of yore.. and this episode was.. not. I legit found myself cracking up at moments that I am pretty sure I was not supposed to be finding hilarious but I will get into that during the scenes. Also, Riverdale this episode was anything but shocking but again I will go into detail when we get to those scenes, I just find it interesting that the powers that be really think something different about the show and what’s actually happening. Nothing that they reveled in this episode was shocking, I hate to break it to them.

Okay the funeral was quite sad. Poor Midge. Also love that there was a tribute to Midge from the Vixens minus Veronica, Betty, Josie and Toni (who is absent this entire episode, okay show) and all the random cheerleaders I guess? 

Knew Ethel would be a prime suspect. Also I’m sorry but the Sheriff is not good at his job at all.

Also seriously.. we’re Cheryl and midge like besties no one knew about? Hell, I didn’t even know Midge was a vixen until her moment in the episode last week.

Okay so now bettys cool with chic again? What? Seriously. I’m starting to think Betty has like memory lapse  on the daily. You guys.. Archie is going to start making groups with colors and circles again. 

Hey Veronica unlikely voice of reason trying to stop her boyfriend from making stupid vengeance groups again. Because that always works out great. 

Also making sense, Hal. As he has been for weeks now. Chic should go to the police and have a statement. And I’m not really sure what changed Bettys kind about Chic this week where she’s all passive about him. The hell?

Archie is being stalked by someone in a black coat. I very much doubt it’s the Black Hood. Let’s be real, the Black Hood was never about Archie. It was for like two episodes and then it was about Betty and Archie was getting him and his football buddies to make videos to scare the Black Hood when really the Black Hood didn’t really care about Archie. And probably still doesn’t.

Love Archie telling Fred to leave him alone and go stay with Mary. That’s hilarious. I love Fred. Him being like “yeah okay son”.

Hiram is such a teenager “Veronica you know Cheryl, she seemed real upset about Midges death, invite her over for a sleepover so we can get her vote or something”! Ha!

Hey look, Betty and Jughead actually doing something about the Black Hood. The way it should have been since the A part of this season.

Yeah I don’t know when Cheryl became Midges bff. But here we are.

Hey, you guys The Chic we know into the real Chic! Oh my god! Are you shocked?!?! No? Is anyone? Wow. Lamest story ever.

Archie is dumb and is going to abandoned places and gets hurt.

Okay the scene where Betty and Jughead confront Chic about the real Chic made me laugh so so hard! Everyone was overacting! I couldn’t take it seriously. And then he cuts Alice with a knife. Ugh. I’m sorry I wanted chic to get hurt but oh god it wasn’t good.

Oh yay, Nick ST Clair is back and is holding Archie hostage.  Did anyone ask for this? Why are we doing this? I know this was supposed to be like red herring, Archie thinks he’s being followed by the Black Hood but it’s just Nick.. but wow. As much as I hate the Black Hood story and I do... why bring it up again and then bring in a random guest star who’s just mad that Archie hurt him? I know we’re at episode 19 and the show needs to stall.. but ugh. 

It’s at this point that I realize I don’t care much about any of the plots, I’m all for Bughead  looking into things together and their scenes but the Chic is it all really brings it down. Especially when most viewers(if not all) figured everything out about this story forever ago and yet it took the characters so long. 

Hiram won’t bow down to a teen wanting something from him. Unless it’s Jughead and his gang, but if it’s archie being held hostage he doesn’t give a damn. 

Hey Kevin gets a scene. Also Cheryl’s kind of right Kevin, your dad is pretty terrible at being Sheriff. Teens have been solving all the crimes for a while now.

I give a less than a damn about the story Chic is telling. So Charles tried to meet Alice and she said no. And he OD. Real Chic is dead. I wish I felt for Alice but I don’t at all. I just hate this story. 

But I care less and less about whatever the hell Nicks deal is too. 

And Veronica getting the money from the safe is why you never make all the safes that hold your money your only daughters birthday.

Also yay we learn that Chic is FPS son. Yuck. Not a fan. Not surprised. Annoying, I’m sorry I find it odd and awful and so predictable. Way to not be original at all, Riverdale. Also I hate this storyline.  And yay.. now Betty and Jughead share a sibling. Or did. If he’s really dead. I’m hedging my bets because we do have more seasons of this show. I can’t believe people actually wanted this to happen. One it gives me ew feelings and two it’s the most predictable thing EVER! Also again.. I’ll be alone but I wasn’t moved by Alice or FP in that scene.

And great we’re now back to Black Hood phone calls and that stupid Lollipop ringtone. 

Okay. What the hell? Betty is lying about the Black Hood phone calls to Jughead AGAIN? I’m so glad the writers learned the lesson from the first half of this season about this.

And seriously.. how many things is Riverdale legit stealing from Gossip Girl? The Nick making Veronica sleep with him is like when Chucks uncle wanted Blair to sleep with him for a hotel Chuck wanted back. Same with Betty and Jughead sharing a half sibling ala Dan and Serena.

So faux Chic killed real Chic. Surprised yet? No? Me either.  Don’t get me wrong it was fun to see Betty and Jughead hurt chic but still kind of bit worth it.

Okay whatever, let Jughead beat up Faux Chic. Alice just told FP that Faux Chic wasn’t real Chic. Why can’t Jughead beat him up? I’m.. lost.  I really hate this episode actually, which makes me sad because I thought I would enjoy the Faux Chic getting his face hit. But no. The show managed to ruin it. So thanks! 

I get what FP is saying but seriously.. 

Okay Nick is a terrible human being, forcing Archie to watch Nick and Veronica was awful. I was impressed Archie got himself out of the basement thing. I was unsure if Veronica was going to go through with it or if she had a plan, I had a feeling she could have handled herself, which she did. 

Love Alice explaining what happened and Hal like a normal person being like “what the hell”. 

I care less about real Chic than I do about faux chic. So Betty gave Faux chic to the Black Hood. Umm. I’m not sure how I feel about this? And she’s still not going to tell anyone about this? Seriously? I don’t.. I mean yay I guess Faux chic is dead but.. seriously? I’m normally all for Betty and try to see her side of things but god.. I don’t like her here at all. I get Faux Chic sucks but she’s just handing him to the Black Hood.. whatever. I don’t know. 

Seriously. I feel like I don’t like any of the characters at all on this show anymore. Except for Fred. 

So Sheriff Kevin is done. Meh. Like I said he’s not very good at his job.

Veronica was kind of awesome tonight though. Maybe I still like her.  Hiram trying to get Archie’s trust after not paying ransom was funny. Also god damn.. Archie, the Black Hood hardly cares about you anymore. 

Are we supposed to think Betty thinks her dad is the Black Hood now? 

Wow. I feel like I might be alone but this episode was the most predictable, boring thing ever. I rolled my eyes at almost every thing and I’ll probably be alone, which is fine. I just.. they didn’t do anything interesting. FP and Alice have a son, so Betty and Jughead do/did share a sibling, great! Seriously why are some people happy about this? Chic wasn’t really Chic, etc. this was all stuff we already knew. This episode was boring and kind of annoyed the hell out of me.  Yeah this episode was a  miss for me. 

• Love 3

I felt a little bad for SherIff Keller and Kevin.  The town lashing out at them is believable but still regrettable.   I never doubted it before but the writers have done a good job of proving that the Keller men stick together.

Hissable as ever.  One has to give the Lodges credit.  They are very good at turning other people into their weapons.   Hermione using Cheryl as a guided missile against Sheriff Keller was low, cold (considering everything going on), but ultimately, successful.  They really couldn't give a tinkers tool about what happened to Midge.

In their own way Hiram and Hermione are as cold and unfeeling as the senior Blossoms, they just have better wrapping.  They really are indifferent to any and everyone who isn't themselves or Veronica.  It's easy to see why they have been able to amass so much wealth, they are willing to do almost anything.   And anything that happens to anyone else is something to be exploited for their own gain.   

Veronica, lacks the ruthlessness of her parents, there is guile there but she's not as sharp as I always thought she would be.   She doesn't have the stomach to become a level of conniving equal to her parents.  Having said that, the girl can be quite a clever kitten. Drugging Nick and smuggling the drug in VIA Necklace?  Needlessly, complicated and dramatic but LOL, I always knew The Lodges were The House Tyrell of Riverdale.  That was straight out of Olenna Tyrell's playbook.

When the writings there, Archie and Veronica have a nice chemistry.  And they can do romance well but something about her scenes with Nick make me think Veronica is destined for a "Bad Hat."  If a reptile like Nick is capable of feeling emotion, it's clear he feels/felt something for Veronica.  The actor did a good job with their scenes.

Shallow Thoughts:

Veronica's purple dress was gorgeous.  One of her best.

Boris and Natasha is the perfect nickname for Hiram and Hermione.

Edited by Advance35
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, Sonoma said:

To everyone insisting this episode was going to start the B/A/V triangle because of Roberto calling it the start of end game-- there you have it. End game is about the Black Hood not the ships. Not everything is about the effing ships!

I never thought it was! The episodes never match what the script pictures show that’s RAS tweets. Never. 

I don’t know. Like I said in my first post I was just bored by all this, all of the stuff was stuff that was supposed to shock and it was predictable and kind of boring. And I’m not all excited to learn FP and Alice had a son together. I don’t get why people are.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 2

Eh, I know I’m alone but it was predictable to me as I said. I was pretty bored throughout this episode.

I didn’t want Hal to be the Black Hood but from Bettys reaction to knowing he was out and next weeks previews it seems like it’s true. I’m also mad because Betty will become dark Betty probably more so and who knows whatvtgevwritrrs will do with that.

I think I’ll be done after this season. I’m not all that interested in what will come next season but we will see, maybe an episode will surprise me in the coming weeks.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Demian said:

In fabulous formation, even.

Riverdale is truly the most Extra town in the whole entire world. They look at any possible thing, and say "we`re at a 9...we need to be at a 20". 

• Love 9

I will say a few things I found mildly interesting were Veronica and Archie. At least until the last moment with Hiram I was all for Archie this episode but then him just being like, “yeah thanks for not paying for me and for youir daughter almost having to sleep with Nick but it’s all good, I’m going to find the Black Hood and kill him to prove myself to you, Okay?” Like up until then I was all all for him this episode and then I realized at the end the only character I liked in this episode was Veronica. And she’s normally not my favorite. At all. 

I don’t know. I’m hoping the next three episodes change my mind but I’m not a fan of how this season seems to be ending.

• Love 4

Ah, Nick, you were so close to succeeding, except for the part where you were a total dumbass (incidentally, the actor plays a nice boyfriend character in Blockers, which was quite a change of pace).

Good episode.  This is the sort of super-heightened drama I enjoy from the show.

• Love 2

Like i said, I’ll be alone in my boat as not enjoying this episode. I just didn’t feel like anything all that shocking happened. And from what I was reading online via Instagram I thought I would be shocked by something but I wasn’t.

I was hoping Hal being the Black Hood was a fakeout but from a bettys face and next weeks previews it appears that it’s true.

I am also not happy that Betty isn’t telling Jughead about the phone calls again, hopefully that will change next week and she lets him know what’s up.

And like I said I found Veronica really great this week. Archie was until the last moments, you mean nothing to Hiram Archie and the Black Hood hardly cares about you right how. It looks like by the previews that may change, but even so, the first half of this season proved to me that the Black Hood mostly sees Archie as a causality and is entirely focused on Betty and her life. But yeah it looks like next week that could change.

I’m also not excited for what this means for Dark betty. If only because for me the writers need to figure out what Dark Betty is at this point and how they use it and by the info we got in this episode, she’s probably going to come back. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Advance35 said:

Shallow Thoughts:

Veronica's purple dress was gorgeous.  One of her best.

Boris and Natasha is the perfect nickname for Hiram and Hermione.

Plus -- even at a funeral, Cheryl looks hot.

2 hours ago, Sonoma said:

And in formation, even in mourning!

Complete with black pompoms.

• Love 6

Creepy Chic is gone, but I hated how Betty had to become more “dark” for this to happen. This show is going down a path I don’t like at all.

Are we going to be spared an episode of Cheryl’s crocodile tears? Spare me with her caring about people dying when she’s been nothing more than a bully and stalker for the past season and a half. Redeeming her isn’t going to make me root for her. The only person that makes her likable, Toni, wasn’t even in this episode.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, twoods said:

Creepy Chic is gone, but I hated how Betty had to become more “dark” for this to happen. This show is going down a path I don’t like at all.

Are we going to be spared an episode of Cheryl’s crocodile tears? Spare me with her caring about people dying when she’s been nothing more than a bully and stalker for the past season and a half. Redeeming her isn’t going to make me root for her. The only person that makes her likable, Toni, wasn’t even in this episode.

This. I feel like I’m having a problem that I had in the first half of this season, I get that the show wants to be dark but we’re now getting back to the point where the characters are becoming a little too dark for me to come back from to even enjoy them.

Then again at this point I fully expect all these characters to be totally different people next season. Because that’s how this show works now.

• Love 1

If this were Pretty Little Liars, Real Chic would somehow still be alive, so I'm not counting him out just yet. I did feel like it was coming a mile away when it seemed like nobody was thinking to ask Chic for a DNA test. At the very least, the fake brother on Nu90210 was outed after only a few eps because someone finally said, "Oh, hey, let's do an DNA test!" And they further just made me want to slam my head on the desk when they had Chic test for DNA, but then gave that convenient explanation.

2 hours ago, Sonoma said:

I actually really like Graham Phillips and think he has great chemistry with Camila, so I'm bummed the potential of Nick being an actual rival for Archie is ruined. Plus, he's a character with a direct connection to Veronica's former life in Manhattan. I think exploring that part of her would really flesh out the character more. Maybe someone else from her past will make an appearance. Maybe Nick has a twin! Dun dun dun!

He looked really hot with the Bad Boy scruff. It's a shame. Also, I love this show trying to treat cute little puppy KJ Apa like some bad ass with his escape scee. It's like watching Danny Rand on Iron Fist trying to be intimidating with his cute little puppy dog looks.

5 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Then again at this point I fully expect all these characters to be totally different people next season. Because that’s how this show works now.

I really hope this show can pull a Buffy. Season 1 was fun. Season 2 of Buffy was way dark. Then Season 3 and managed to hit a perfect balance.

Seeing all the show made me realize that we're STILL in the winter of their sophomore year of high school. WTF? If they're not juniors next year I'm calling shenanigans.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

If this were Pretty Little Liars, Real Chic would somehow still be alive, so I'm not counting him out just yet. I did feel like it was coming a mile away when it seemed like nobody was thinking to ask Chic for a DNA test. At the very least, the fake brother on Nu90210 was outed after only a few eps because someone finally said, "Oh, hey, let's do an DNA test!" And they further just made me want to slam my head on the desk when they had Chic test for DNA, but then gave that convenient explanation.

He looked really hot with the Bad Boy scruff. It's a shame. Also, I love this show trying to treat cute little puppy KJ Apa like some bad ass with his escape scee. It's like watching Danny Rand on Iron Fist trying to be intimidating with his cute little puppy dog looks.

I really hope this show can pull a Buffy. Season 1 was fun. Season 2 of Buffy was way dark. Then Season 3 and managed to hit a perfect balance.

Seeing all the show made me realize that we're STILL in the winter of their sophomore year of high school. WTF? If they're not juniors next year I'm calling shenanigans.

They will probably pull a PLL and have them be in the same school year for three seasons like PLL did for senior year but for this show we will be in sophomore year forever and ever!

Season 2 Of Buffy had some fun moments though. Riverdale season 2 has had like barley any. I miss it when this show was fun and not depressing. Also I still think this show works better with a 13 episode season and not 22 like we have now.

Also I fully expect real Charles Chic to show up at some point during this series. I might not be here watching it though. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Sonoma said:

I also enjoyed the episode. I know some Bughead fans are disappointed there was a lack of "romance" and that Betty lied to Jughead again about the BH. But it can't be all romance all the time, and I doubt she's going to keep it from him much longer.

It is not just lack of romantic moments that is the problem for a lot of Bughead shippers. The way the writers have been treating them has been lazy. For some reason, the writers can not put Vatchie and Bughead (and now Choni) on equal footing with some good material. Veronica and Archie get some sweet scenes with depth, which is  not a problem. 

The problem is when Bughead get 0 good content when there have been many missed opportunities for some scenes with emotional depth. 2x12 probably had the best Bughead scene of this season, the couch scene. Along with the 2x05 Pop's scene as a second. And the 2x15 Betty and Jughead co-presidents and Betty asking Jughead to stay with him scene. Because those scenes felt so meaningful and had emotional depth. 

The writers have missed many opportunities for many things in 2B as well but let's talk about 2x19. What I loved was:

* Betty panicking over the BH being back, getting flashbacks (which they did give to Archie but writers ignore Betty), Jughead comforting her and telling her he won't leave her out of his sight this time, that he won't push her away again when she needs him. 

* Jughead finding out about the webcamming, telling Betty he understands and punching Chic for being a creep and telling him to stay away from her. 

Wait! Oops, my memory failed me. I can only read that in fics where luckily enough this fandom has good writers.

Would that have been so difficult to have on the show? What do we get instead: Jughead and Betty sharing a half-brother, Jughead actually listening to FP when he told him it would be better for them to leave Betty and Alice while knowing Chic is a potential murderer (Archie would not have done that with Veronica), Betty lie to Jughead again for no good reason. What was the whole point of them going to the desk and have to act like a couple when they already are a couple? What as the point of Jughead punching Chic just to get info?

(We did not even get some cute Bughead when they lived together)

After the development we got in 2x12 and 2x13 this felt like a whole 10 steps back again with Betty lying to Jughead again and Jughead leaving Betty alone with a possible murder just because FP thought it was a good idea when Jughead did not want to leave at first. But he still did it.

It does seem like to a lot of Bughead shippers that the writers resent Bughead's popularity and are now treating them in such a a lazy way. Besides all the other stuff they pulled in 2A, 2B seems better but not that much better now. Some writers probably don't even like Bughead. After the hell of 2A, guess people were hoping for better writing.

Anyway, that was me venting about the writing of Bughead and also pointing out what a lot of Bughead shippers have been saying and I do agree with it.

I have not watched the  whole episode yet, but may write more thoughts here after.

Edited by Ruby Red
  • Love 3

I think this was a very good episode to be honest, not too surprising, as in predictable but they brought the surprises quite nicely. TBH, I thought it had season finale feels...

THe whole archie/Nick/veronica/lodges thing... That was great! I loved Nick coming back for revenge and the da-dum reveal that yeah, the St. Clairs aren't straight as we assumed they were (is anyone around the lodges not straight). I feel so mean, I really hoped Archie would've gotten beaten even more, ANYTHING just for him to turn his back on the Lodges but no! The idiot totally IGNORED that the Hirams weren't willing to bail him out and instead was just focused on his revenge on the blackhood.... And I alaso wondered for a moment whether Veronica was going to go through with her sleeping-with-nick-to-save-archie thing but awwww, she drugged him!!! You know, Varchie would make better mobsters than the lodges?!?! Totally bad ass... And the Lodges are just so typical-evil... how can we turn this murder into our advantage?  How can this carton of milk turn into our advantage? (passing fingers through evil-moustache and having evil grin on their faces with evil fat cat sitting on the desk). Bah, they're annoying... Now it's clear that Hermione is writing on the register, they will now appoint a sheriff that will do their bidding... Yeah...

The reveal of Chic as Falice's kid... It's nice that the truth finally came out, it should've come up by the end of 2a since everyone more or less knew!! It was sort of anticlimactic as FP seemed more surprised than "OMG why didn't you tell me", I doubt we'll get a BTS of what went through FP's mind, wonder if it's going to get addressed at all.... but at the same time... Am i'm probably picking up on the littlest of expressions and also desperate for detaisl... FP didn't seem THAT Surprised about Alice saying that she turned the boy away? IT was probably the shock but maybe the kid showed up at FP's trailer? Gotta say, that little picture of OG chic was pretty damn cute, could definitely see Falice traits (yes yes, making a lot of a stupid little picture I know).  WEll, truth's out, hopefully Alice and FP can still have a peaceful friendship---whatever they have...

Bughead duo--- Loved the sleuthing! Gotta roll my eyes when Jughead went "impostor" like a lynching mob! lol! Always the drama queen!! lol! I had hope that they would've mentioned the camming thing just to justify jughead punching chic but meh, that is a AU. I gotta love BadAss! Betty, that girl got game! I really liked her that way, I really did... But the ending... hmmmm.... I did not appreciate her lying to jughead about the blackhood calling her (is it me or was it too convenicant when he called her? It looked almost as though she'd call him) but most likely it'll end there... Wasn't archie going to go sleuthing with betty in the upcoming episodes?!?! Whatever. But giving chic to the blackhood, that was a bit harsh.... I know she did what she thought was best to protect her family... If she's going to be this badass in the next episodes, I do not think it's necessarily "dark", I think she's just being a bad ass and under a lot of pressure... She's jut tyring to survive...

I love that little FP/Jughead talk, he felt so heartbroken when he was talking to his kid about not wanting him to be like this...  He wants so much better for his kid, it hurts.... I can understand now the spoilers for the finale in regards to them...

And yeah, I do get seriously annoyed with the lack of Bughead interaction/romantic scenes, we are being fed constant Varchie porn every damn episode and for me at least, its getting redundant, boring and extremely annoying (just seing the preview of Veronica stripping down a la femme fatle in that whatever she has on, gah or even shirtless Archie, bleh). We get it, they love eachtoeher, they are all over eachother...

And while I know we cannot get romantic bughead scenes every episode, they should at least acknowledge one another, as mentioned in the previous post, they have such great opportunities and they are wasted.... You don't need full-out make out session, just small conversations, a handholding or a touching of the cheek scene to make things alright! Give them more substance... ARe the writers just so damn lazy or do they not care for bughead anymore? Has their popularity made them have an overdose of bughead?

And now, S3 is meant to be different?

I'm saying it now, S3 is a do or die, if they want it to last more, they have to work for it...

And the preview for the next episode seems like there's going to be the start of the riots? Already they're going to turn things around and go against the Serpent (probably fueled by new sheriff, black/colorful circle + lodges). This is getting exciting...

Only 3 episodes left..

wow...

• Love 2

Well, where has THIS been? Huh Riverdale? 

I’m more of a fan of this full comic Book story than of S1 Teen drama. I’m shamelessly more interested in whatever Archie is doing than everyone else. Maybe it’s cause I relate to him more or what but he’s been so much better this season compared to last. 

That being said: 

The first 10 minutes or so of this episode was just so bad and really had to have the worst dialogue of the series. Jugheads “imposter!” Then Archie’s “who’s there” at the house. 

Cheryl was insufferable, I think MP is great, but Cheryl’s OTT actions don’t fit the show’s “everything’s OTT but we act like we’re not” stuff. I mean you really have Cheryl threatening the sheriff and acting like The Cheerleading could do something bout the BH, it’s as dumb as Archie think The Red Circle was stopping a dude with a gun. At least he himself had a gun. 

At first I didn’t like St. Clair’s return, I was literally looking at the screen in disbelief that he was a hostage taker now. 

Hiram not paying for Archie was weird cause they had played like he took that blood oath as serious as Archie did. 

I now want a storyline of Kevin and his dad catching a killer. 

I laughed SO hard at the Coopers confronting Chic, Chic swung at Jug for a KILLING blow and were really worried about whether he lives or dies? Where the hell did Betty learn to take someone down? 

Oh, so I started liking the Nick St. Clair return not when he told Veronica to sleep with but when he told Archie he was gonna watch, THATS a villain right there. Archie breaking free was cool, kind of. 

The ringtone return was a nice touch, but Betty giving Chic to The Black Hood was great, I’m down for Psycho/murderous Betty. Hal being him though is well.. predictable. 

WHO. DIDNT. KNOW. Chic was FP’s son? Come on show. 

I dont feally care about the state of Bughead, cute in S1, but terribly cliche and boring now, I find mild interest in both Barchie and Varchie so this how isn’t pulling me much in the state of “ships”. 

Oh, the Halloween homage was awesome. 

Once again the show turns the tables on me, I LOVED Archie running back to whatever Hotel, busting in and landing beside Nick unconscious, THIS is the Veronica we’ve been missing these last 10 episodes. Plus her ransoming Nick back!? Total badass. 

Last, but not least. I loved Archie pledging to kill The Black Hood, I’ve wanted Archie teaming up with Hiram to take down the Black Hood since Ep 3. Yeah, Archie obviously can’t see Hiram doesn’t hold Archie as high as he claims, but it’s also good for them not ending this storyline because of it. I loved the touch of Archie waiting for Hiram in his own study too. Jughead vocing the scene over made it much better as well. 

P.S. you’re now a good pops FP. Nice job parenting your son. 

• Love 6

I still like Bughead(more than I will ever like Barchie) but the show still hardly does much for them, sure they’re in scenes together but once again, Betty is hiding things from Jughead and not telling him things so I don’t  know if we’re supposed to read into that.

I still found this episode predictable. Almost every thing I called, except for Betty indirectly killing someone and while I don’t like Chic at all, I’m.. not a fan of what they did to Betty to get there. Sorry, not a fan. I don’t really know what character I even like on the show. Sometimes you can go too dark and Riverdale is there right now.

Again I know I’m alone. Everyone else loved this episode.. for the reasons I disliked it. But seriously. 

The last three episodes better have something to change my mind. Otherwise I’m thinking I might be done after this season and pretended the alternate scenes of season one are where this show ended.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, TaylorBruh25 said:

I’ve wanted Archie teaming up with Hiram to take down the Black Hood since Ep 3

And see, I want Hiram to BE the Black Hood just so Archie will finally get it through his thick scull that siding with a murderer to catch a murder means you're just playing god and choosing who it's okay to murder. Poor Fred. He really tried to raise a good son and he gets stuck with a Baby Gangster.

So, our core for are now a wannabe mobster and his moll, a baby gang leader and a budding psychopath? I freaking LOVE this show!!!! Add in a dose of funeral cheerleading and matricidal Cheryl and this was the best ep of the season. Seriously, this is what I'm watching for. I know not everyone likes this side of the show but I am all in on the crazy. It's the only way the show works IMO.

I did feel bad for Sherriff Keller, getting threatened by the Gothic Princess, possibly loosing his job. Clearly the mayoral race is now the epic battle of Good (Fred) vs Evil (Hermione). The only thing is, IDK which way this show is going to go with that.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

And see, I want Hiram to BE the Black Hood just so Archie will finally get it through his thick scull that siding with a murderer to catch a murder means you're just playing god and choosing who it's okay to murder. Poor Fred. He really tried to raise a good son and he gets stuck with a Baby Gangster.

So, our core for are now a wannabe mobster and his moll, a baby gang leader and a budding psychopath? I freaking LOVE this show!!!! Add in a dose of funeral cheerleading and matricidal Cheryl and this was the best ep of the season. Seriously, this is what I'm watching for. I know not everyone likes this side of the show but I am all in on the crazy. It's the only way the show works IMO.

I did feel bad for Sherriff Keller, getting threatened by the Gothic Princess, possibly loosing his job. Clearly the mayoral race is now the epic battle of Good (Fred) vs Evil (Hermione). The only thing is, IDK which way this show is going to go with that.

Maybe that’s what bugs me about the show right now. Sometimes they want to be full on crazy and then other times it doesn’t. And I know people like the mix of it but for some reason that bugs me. I really am not a fan of when gonfull crazy but then try to add in realistic episodes later. Go full crazy or don’t. This episode was bad for me, though. Probably my least favorite of this series so far.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Like i said, I’ll be alone in my boat as not enjoying this episode. I just didn’t feel like anything all that shocking happened. And from what I was reading online via Instagram I thought I would be shocked by something but I wasn’t.

I was hoping Hal being the Black Hood was a fakeout but from a bettys face and next weeks previews it appears that it’s true.

I am also not happy that Betty isn’t telling Jughead about the phone calls again, hopefully that will change next week and she lets him know what’s up.

And like I said I found Veronica really great this week. Archie was until the last moments, you mean nothing to Hiram Archie and the Black Hood hardly cares about you right how. It looks like by the previews that may change, but even so, the first half of this season proved to me that the Black Hood mostly sees Archie as a causality and is entirely focused on Betty and her life. But yeah it looks like next week that could change.

I’m also not excited for what this means for Dark betty. If only because for me the writers need to figure out what Dark Betty is at this point and how they use it and by the info we got in this episode, she’s probably going to come back. 

I do wonder if they are going to have Dark Betty ESPICALLY if Hal is Black hood. I can see Betty losing it with Her Dad being this Pyschopath, maybe even killing him as Dark Betty and we get a D.I.D Storyline for Bughead next season

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, jay741982 said:

I do wonder if they are going to have Dark Betty ESPICALLY if Hal is Black hood. I can see Betty losing it with Her Dad being this Pyschopath, maybe even killing him as Dark Betty and we get a D.I.D Storyline for Bughead next season

Yup. I suspect this is where they will go too. They have a strange obsession with Dark betty and this show is never going to have her properly deal with it, we’re just going to see her in her black wig and bra dealing with it. They won’t even name it as a personality disorder, it’s just going to become a fun and zanzy “look she’s wearing the wig” thing.  

Also if Hal is really the Black Hood, I wonder what this means for Barchie. If anything, to me, it opens the door for them more. Which ugh. I just feel like Hal being the Black Hood leads to many star crossed lovers parallels. We thought Bughead was the star crossed story but really it’s been Barchie all along type crap. I feel like that’s where they may go if it turns out Hal is the Black Hood. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 1
55 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

Completely agree about the show’s direction. But, idk I feel like Hiram is going to be a wildcard antagonist who never realllly turns good and never goes too far. Pretty much Archie’s (Arch)Rival. That’s why I like the team up. 

However I do still have a suspicion that Hal is a red herring. (I mean the BH reveal CANT be a “surprise” after this ending if it’s Hal) I think the real or original BH could still be a hired gun by Hiram. Meanwhile, they did introduce the multiple Black Hood and copycat killer theory this episode. So I think we could still have this particular instance be Chic and Charles be the killers, and their obsession with Betty is because she’s the daughter the Coopers wanted. 

51 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Yup. I suspect this is where they will go too. They have a strange obsession with Dark betty and this show is never going to have her properly deal with it, we’re just going to see her in her black wig and bra dealing with it. They won’t even name it as a personality disorder, it’s just going to become a fun and zanzy “look she’s wearing the wig” thing.  

Also if Hal is really the Black Hood, I wonder what this means for Barchie. If anything, to me, it opens the door for them more. Which ugh. I just feel like Hal being the Black Hood leads to many star crossed lovers parallels. We thought Bughead was the star crossed story but really it’s been Barchie all along type crap. I feel like that’s where they may go if it turns out Hal is the Black Hood. 

I never seen Bughead as star-crossed. More underdog love story (at least in s1) Barchie seems more Boy/Girl next door vanilla stuff.

I don’t really want a dual personality story, but it would be crazy for Betty to kill Hal and then her take over killing sinners and be together with Jughead while he’s trying to crack the case, flipping the show on its head and making Betty a legit murderer is pretty interesting to me. 

• Love 1

Eh, I sadly don’t trust anything with the writers regarding Bughead. Yes they’ve been doing okay in the back half of this season but I still worry and I think I’m justified in that. Plus next season who knows where they will take this show at this point. 

And I hope Betty doesn’t become a crazy killer next season. I hope they don’t do too much Dark betty but whatever. That’s just me.

Also I don’t get why Hal is the Black Hood? If it’s true.. I heard the spoiler and thought it was a fake out but like I said, the last screen and promo implies that it’s the truth. But why? I mean.. it doesn’t make sense to me. I don’t really see Hal as a non sinner but I guess it doesn’t have to be logical.

Also I’ve seen many articles who say this episode was the most fun one ina long time so it’s not only on these forums I feel alone. I just didn’t find this episode fun. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 2

I thought this was a great Bughead ep. They were together for much of it, working together, he was in total protective mode, beating the shit out of Chic. So she lied? She's not ready to tell Jug she's being stalked again. I get it. He'd lose his shit more than he did with Chic. I really don't need them to be making out all the time to know they are a strong couple. They're not Varchie!!!! haha, I kid. I actually like Varchie as a couple, just hate their storyline right now. I also feel like the writers don't trust them as a couple and do tend to give them all the sexy stuff to do in place of actually doing, well, anything else. haha

I adore Bughead. I love everything about them as a couple but I do NOT want to see them reduced to all sexy times. I like that they are friends and then lovers. So long as that friendship is maintained, I can deal with some lying here and there or a lack of kissing every episode. Their real strength as a couple, for me, is in smaller moments and just relating to one another.

• Love 2

I don’t need Bughead to be making out and having sexy times all the time but I just wish they were talking more. I worry Betty won’t tell him about the phone calls again and that worked out so well last time. I hope it doesn’t last long.

Also I hate the varchie sexytimes it seems like it’s all they do but I feel like this was the best Varchie episode in a while. And up until the end the best Archie episode since the first episode this season. I mean I love that he’s all cool with Hiram not paying his ransom and then almost  having Veronica hook up with Nick to rescue him, instead of being like upset he’s just all “it’s cool, I want to be in your mob club so I’m going to kill the Black Hood now” what? Okay. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I still stand by my statements I made last night: I didn’t like this episode. I know, after reading comments from everyone else I’m all alone. It’s okay. More room for me in my boat.

You aren't alone, but then I haven't liked this whole season so I am not surprised that I didn't like last night's episode either. I am really only watching at this point as some of the show is filmed in my mom's hometown, so I watch for glimpses of it. And to find out who the black hood is. But is has been dragged out for so long, that I don't much care about that either. I just hope when the person is revealed it isn't an unknown character. I don't see it being someone like Betty's father either. So my money is on Cheryl's uncle, the twin of her father. No reason other than he is a fringe character who no one cares about (other than Cheryl's mother). But the mystery has dragged on for so long that I don't even know if he would fit as the BH, and at this point really don't care. 

• Love 3

So, a lot of things about this show are dumb but kind of funny. A thing that's dumb but not at all funny to me is getting confirmation that literally nobody reported the gay conversion torture school to the police -- and I know they didn't, because Betty tells the sisters that if they don't cooperate with her, she'll do it now. Why on earth wouldn't she do it IMMEDIATELY? How is anyone who knows about it allowing that place to stay open? I'm being completely serious. WTF?

On the side of things that are dumb but funny:

• "He overdosed on jingle jangle."
  • Mr. Lodge saying that Archie isn't blood so they can't do anything to rescue him when, a) he made Archie do a stupid blood brothers ritual with him that makes him the next best thing to blood, b) we've established that Archie is literally his only guy at this point, and c) Archie's basically marrying into the family, which should count for something. In spite of all that, Mr. Lodge still doesn't care enough to try to save Archie, which is really funny to me.
  • "I still have to make my bones with you" is also really funny to me.

The part I like least about Hal (possibly) being the black hood is how he weirdly trolls his daughter.

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, SourK said:

So, a lot of things about this show are dumb but kind of funny. A thing that's dumb but not at all funny to me is getting confirmation that literally nobody reported the gay conversion torture school to the police -- and I know they didn't, because Betty tells the sisters that if they don't cooperate with her, she'll do it now. Why on earth wouldn't she do it IMMEDIATELY? How is anyone who knows about it allowing that place to stay open? I'm being completely serious. WTF?

I agree. When Betty used that as a bargaining chip I was hoping she was lying and that she was going to report them anyway because....hello!!!

• Love 7
53 minutes ago, UsernameFatigue said:

You aren't alone, but then I haven't liked this whole season so I am not surprised that I didn't like last night's episode either. I am really only watching at this point as some of the show is filmed in my mom's hometown, so I watch for glimpses of it. And to find out who the black hood is. But is has been dragged out for so long, that I don't much care about that either. I just hope when the person is revealed it isn't an unknown character. I don't see it being someone like Betty's father either. So my money is on Cheryl's uncle, the twin of her father. No reason other than he is a fringe character who no one cares about (other than Cheryl's mother). But the mystery has dragged on for so long that I don't even know if he would fit as the BH, and at this point really don't care. 

Yeah. Same I’ve liked  a few episodes this season but even then this show lost whatever I liked about it in season one.

And yeah I know I’m crying about this all the time and the show will never be  that show again. The powers that be like this show Dark now and whatever the hell this season is, they like it and plan on keeping it this way but.. something about the first season was better to me. 

I feel like a lot of stuff got lost in this second season weather it was so much press they got from the first season and all that, the stories they chose, the adding of new characters/cast members, I don’t don’t know. It’s just not as good as it was for me a year ago. 

And again I’ve read so many articles today starting that last nights episode brought the fun back to Riverdale and I’m confused about it. But again my personal opinion. I’m very much aware of how my opinions differ from about 98% of everyone else.

• Love 1

So, Midge really is dead, but at least her funeral featured a singing Cheryl, while she and the rest of the Vixens were actually dressed in hooded, black, cheerleading mourning gear!  Classic Riverdale!

Nick makes a return and tries to extract some revenge by kidnapping and beating up Archie, and forcing Veronica to sleep with him and make Archie watch online.  Oh, and then kill Archie in order to "make his bones" or some shit.  But instead, he was too big of an idiot to find it suspicious that Veronica offered to "pour them some drinks", so he ends up getting roofied, and Veronica ransoms him back to his own family for a sweet million dollars.  And what does Archie learn form all of this?  That he needs to make his own bones with Hiram (eww?), so he wants to hunt down the Black Hood and kill him himself.  Oh, Archie!

So, Chic really isn't Alice's son, and was the real Chic's roommate, who killed him apparently.  Also, the real Chic really was F.P.'s son.  But in the end, Betty takes Fake Chic to the Black Hood, and it ends in a chase.  Until we see a body, he ain't dead as far as I'm concerned.

I feel bad for Keller since he seems like a decent guy, but he really isn't good at his job, to be honest.

Final shot is Betty thinking that Hal might be the Black Hood.  Which means that it probably isn't him.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

But instead, he was too big of an idiot to find it suspicious that Veronica offered to "pour them some drinks", so he ends up getting roofied, and Veronica ransoms him back to his own family for a sweet million dollars.

I was kind of hoping his dad would be like "nah, you can keep him". I'd love to see what Veronica would have done then. Probably let Archikins to "make his bones" that way instead.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I was kind of hoping his dad would be like "nah, you can keep him". I'd love to see what Veronica would have done then. Probably let Archikins to "make his bones" that way instead.

I just still find it odd that Archie doesn’t care that Hiram wasn’t planning to pay the St. Clair’s any money for him. I’m assuming he knows since he was in the room when Veronica called nicks parents so he knows that they never got a call from The Lodges about pymebt. And Archie is just like whatever about it all and still willing to be a baby monster. 

• Love 2

I mean, I feel bad for Sheriff Keller and Kevin, but...the Sheriff does kind of suck at his job. Not that I totally blame him, with the amount of crazy stuff this small town sheriff has to deal with (shouldn't they have called for outside help, or hired more cops at least?), but he really does have a pretty terrible track record for fighting or solving crime. I do like seeing how he and Kevin always stick with each other. If nothing else, Sheriff Keller is one of the few decent parents in town, so he has that going for him. 

I am putting it in my will that at my funeral, I want a squad of cheerleaders in black uniforms with hoods and black pom poms to do a tragic cheer/song at my grave, complete with string quartet and the head cheerleader promising fiery vengeance on whoever caused my death. Even if it was an illness or I got hit by a train or something. 

I hope this is the end of Chic, and the end of bonkers Betty. If course, if Hal really is the Black Hood, I am sure Bonkers Better has just began. How have we gone from our four main characters being basically normal teens to a mobster in training, his moll/partner in crime, a gang leader, and a baby psychopath? What even is this show?

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 10

I don't care if we have more Black Hood drama because I just need the teen mafia story to put on some cement galoshes and take a walk off a pier. Nothing makes my eyes roll in my head more than the mob stuff. It's dumb, badly written, and not remotely believable, which is saying something because this show has cheerleaders with mourning uniforms and pom poms.

• Love 7

I seriously found the mourning cheerleaders more believable than anything involving the Lodge's/Archie this ep, other than Hiram basically deciding to do nothing to help Archie. That seems totally true to the character. But the whole mob storyline is just stupid. Where cheerleaders in mourning uniforms and Dark Betty, and Jug beating up Chic and Alice telling yet another man in her life "no more secrets" are all insane, they are, for me, entertaining in their ridiculousness. The mob story is insane but not remotely entertaining. I will say I laughed my ass off at Archie running to save Veronica while, through laughter, telling him she was just going to drug the douche so save your energy there boy dunder. He really should have more faith in his girlfriend, she's been around her mob family a lot longer than he has. She knows how this all works. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Dobian said:

Watching Cheryl sing at a funeral with her pasty white face and dark red lipstick and wearing a hood was pretty creepy.

Thinking back on it now, that was an odd choice and now I’m thinking it’s going to be lame if Hal does turn out to be The Black Hood. I had read a spoiler he was a little bit ago but I was trying not to believe and it’s lame now because betty apparently has figured it out already and from the previews it implies she’s confronting Hal about it and yet for some reason Fangs is going to be accused of it(or at least Midges murder) and sent to jail.

So.. either these scenes and that spoiler  are red herrings and we’re going to get a big twist in the finale, which I would very much welcome. I think Hal would be a lame choice as the Black Hood. Even lamer than a janitor no one knew about it except for a random episode. 

I really wanted it to be The Lodges.   And the start of this season pretty much made it seem like it was going to be, I still remember how sketchy Hermione was being in the first episode this season with Veronica and at the hospital whenever when Fred got shot. This is why i don’t think the writers had a real plan for the Black Hood. They can say they did but I can point to many instances in which this thing isn’t going to match up with what they end up deciding but whatever.

I just had a thought. If Black Hood is after sinners, which, yeah, fine, whatever, why did he shoot Fred? Or was Fred not the intended target and BH just sucks at marksmanship? Was it ever established if Fred was the target or Archie? I get it being Archie, for screwing his teacher, since I'm assuming sex is why Midge was targeted as well (and Moose, that's who she was in the car with, right?) And Mrs. Grundy was also a sex punishment killing. Chic too could fall into that category, though he's also a murderer so he should get double killed I suppose. lol

I'm just wondering. Is the show going to expose some hidden secret of Fred's, because till now he seems one of the most upstanding citizens of Riverdale, or was Archie the target and I either forgot them finally settling on that or they just dropped it?

• Love 1

In the comics I believe the Black Hood is a moving target. Could be many people over the course. 

My impression as not an Archie comics fan but as a comics fan is that Archie comics without the hood is like Batman without the joker. 

• Love 1

OOHHHH MY GOD YOU GUYS

Okay, so, my TV died on Wednesday so we had to order a new one, which is this enormous thing that's now looming in the corner of our living room (I've named it Monolith) and so I wasn't able to watch this until now! I missed you all!

Riverdale gonna Riverdale, especially at the funeral of a tragically and horribly murdered teenager! There was barely any indication that Midge even knew Cheryl and her gang of Furies/Vixens, let alone was on the squad, but hey, don't let that stop you and your perfectly clad chorus, Cheryl. Also, always threaten an adult man with a gun. (I adore how Sheriff Keller actually has to take this raving lunatic seriously because all the adults in town are totally ineffectual at best while the teenagers run around boning and committing/solving murders.)

The Lodges try to be all ice-hearted about the re-emergence of the BH but Ronnie steps in and says nah, I'm sick of this and am about to school you both. And oh my, she does. Holy SHIT. While Hermione's running around pretending that anybody in the entire world could still possibly care about this election (hell, even Fred seems to have forgotten the whole thing) she's just preemptively shutting down Archie (not that it worked) and trying to be above it all.

But luckily, there is one, and only one, strong and true thread running through Riverdale, come what may with writing, ships, or what have you--Archie being a complete and total dunderhead. Now, I will grant that he's panicking about his dad, and for good reason--the show actually has taken the trouble to give him something to hang that dunce cap on--but DUDE. When you're suddenly re-enacting Halloween that's not the time to go check out the janitor's old house! Of course, I doubt he was expecting Nick St. Jackoff and his idiot buddies to try their little blanket party--I sure as hell wasn't. 

The only good thing about that entire storyline was Ronnie just getting her Mafia Bitch on. She tells her folks but you can see she's expecting them to not do anything. And while Hiram does point out that if he pays the ransom Veronica's probably the next target, she wasn't in the room to hear it. Too busy crackin' safes, making sleazy Indecent Proposal hookup agreements with Nick (WHO BY THE WAY WAS NOT LIMPING IN ANY OF HIS SCENES, AT ALL), drugging his ass, and cool as cucumber taking his folks for the same mill he tried to squeeze out of her!

Unfortunately that led to one of the more egregious plot/character misfires in a season filled with them.

V out and out confronts her folks with the fact that not only did she have to rescue Archie and managed to make a million bucks doing it, she, AND HE, both know that the Dreadful Hs didn't do jack shit about getting him back, at all. She insinuates that Archie is not only waiting to speak of this to Hiram, but he's pissed about it, and rightly so!

So what do we get? Archie sheds all previous dunderheadery to really reach new heights on the idiot scale when apparently all he took away from this experience was the vague notion of "making his bones" in order to impress Hiram and get rid of the Black Hood! Cripes, KJ Apa must be pulling his hair out every time he reads his sides lately. They're trying to combine his need for Hiram's approval with his obsession, but it hasn't worked all season and it's not working now! I was waiting for Hiram to patiently explain that you make your bones by killing an enemy of the Mob family you're affiliated with, not some rando and how even Nick St. Fucking  Clair is clear on this concept, but I guess he was too gobsmacked by this turn of events to say anything.

( Also wondering if Fred noticed Archie was missing/came home late and quite beaten up. Your Family Man Mayor, folks!)

ANYWAY. Betty is doing a somewhat better job incorporating various ridiculous things into one story over at her place. Finally the Coopers catch on that Chic is a big fat liar (which, didn't the DNA prove that weeks ago? Am I high?) and also a nutjob with a terrible temper who kills his roommates, so when the BH conveniently calls her up and offers her an internship, two birds with one stone time, right? I personally think the whole setup about her dad being the Hood is a misdirection--I'm still betting on Sheriff Heller. But we'll find out soon enough, I hope.

Rantings aside, I really have to give it to the actors in this one; they carried a truly absurd story over the finish line like champs. Both Camila and Lili did superlative jobs at showing their dark sides (Camila with her smooth face projecting sweet menace, Lili radiating her grim determination--she should change her ringtone from Lollipop to You Don't Know Me) and even KJ got a great line read in when St. Clair is smarming about the hotel setup and he says "I'll kill you." When Nick says I bet you would I was all ME TOO, GUY. Plus, his goofy, frantic running and busting down the door; he's like a Great Dane puppy. You can really believe his level of devotion to Ronnie. It's not his fault that the whole mobster story is written so that he can't find any kind of motivation other than idiocy.

The show throws so many twists (some of whom are actually surprising!) at us, I need a whole string of gofers turning dramatically.

All wearing mourning uniforms with black pompoms.

They will probably pull a PLL and have them be in the same school year for three seasons like PLL did for senior year but for this show we will be in sophomore year forever and ever!

Since Riverdale is apparently located next to Narnia, where it is always winter but never Christmas (seriously, the weather was all over the place AGAIN. Is it ever going to be actual spring?) that's probably true!

Even if it was an illness or I got hit by a train or something. 

"Like the Furies of ancient Greek Myth, we will demand blood vengeance from the 6:15 to Tacoma!"

• Love 8

So I was over at A/V Club reading their post on this episode (they do a really great job) and they made the very interesting point that maybe Hal and Chic were working together!

It is. Because Hal is the Black Hood. And with the end of the episode, Betty believes that too. I know there were a lot of suggestions last week that Chic was Midge’s killer, which is where I’ll amend my theory to call Chic the Black Hood’s protégé (and possible scapegoat). It’s no coincidence that Alice points out how the entire Chic situation is “biblical” punishment. We’re also at a point where we know that most of Chic’s “creepiness” is deliberate. So when he asks something like, “Who was that, Betty? Who was that who called you? With that weird ringtone?” (a ringtone that’s not weird out of context), it reads less like genuine curiosity than it does a measured question as part of his game. And Riverdale is very deliberate in not showing the Black Hood actually catch and kill Chic.

• Love 1