Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 General Discussion

The small northwest town of Twin Peaks, Washington is shaken up when the body of the Homecoming Queen, Laura Palmer, is discovered washed up on a riverbank, wrapped in plastic. FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper is called in when Ronnette Pulaski, who attended the same high school as Laura, is found wandering on a bridge before lapsing into a coma. Cooper believes there is a connection between Laura's death and the death of another girl named Theresa Banks that happened a year earlier. Cooper discovers a small piece of paper with the letter "R" on it shoved under Laura's fingernail. He reveals to Sheriff Truman that under the nail of Thersa Banks he found a "T." There's little doubt the same killer has stuck again. Meanwhile, the rebellious Audrey Horne ruins a business deal for her father Benjamin; Twin Peaks sheriff Harry S. Truman arrests Laura's boyfriend Bobby, who is secretly seeing a married woman named Shelly; Laura's best friend Donna and secret boyfriend James discover a mutu

Oh, so I bugged for the thread and then didn't post anything!  Anyhow, my girlfriend and I watched the pilot together on Sunday.  It had been a while since i'd watched the series, and while I remember some later tidbits, I remembered virtually nothing from the pilot.  That made for a nice show.  My girlfriend had never seen it, so it was all new for her.  She is all in though.  It's such a great pilot, it really grabbed her even though we couldn't stop making fun of Laura's mom grieving. 

On Laura's mom grieving.  I mean, it's kind of terrible acting.  But we also had a good conversation on how long the camera holds a scene.  It's something that shows don't typically hold onto a character crying like that for that long anymore.  But I think that of course that was a bit of David Lynch's style too.  Anyhow, I think it's impressive despite some acting issues just how good this show is/was.  And we're excited to watch through the series.

I guess the re-watch hasn't really taken off.  But maybe posting in here will help get things rolling.  I would suggest one episode per week since we have so much time.  Then it's easier for folks who pop in to catch up on the rewatch.  I'll stop by later this week with more detailed thoughts on the pilot.  My brain is a bit fuzzy right now.

• Love 1

I had forgotten that James was the first red herring. I guess my memory of him being a waste of time was so strong that I couldn't remember any point during which he was relevant to the story.

• Love 2

This was a fun rewatch.  I'm not sure what hooked me at first, maybe the music, it was so eerie and other worldly.  It could have been anything though.  The whole thing was comical, yet creepy.  I felt like I was watching an adult version of a children's cartoon!

I've never had any problems with the way Grace Zabriskie played the grieving scenes.  I know people have had interesting reactions to the scene... it's quite known for people to laugh during it.  I'm not sure why... I guess everyone has a subjective experience.  But I thought it was a good interpretation of how that character would express unbearable grief and thought it was very painful and raw to watch.  And I agree it holds unusually long... I think that's why it gets such odd reactions.  People aren't accustomed to it, especially when the way the grief is expressed is so raw.  I remember coming across a woman who had fallen in a grocery store... she was screaming and wailing incredibly loudly.  You could hear it all over the store.  It was a truly awful thing to see and hear.  I actually left the store without buying anything because I couldn't take it. If it'd been in a movie someone might have thought it was bad acting, but that's how some people express pain. That's not to say that there isn't bad acting in the show.  Eric DaRe was bad until the second season when the story kept him within his acting range, but he was especially bad in the pilot.  

Everything about David Lynch's direction in the show stands out from other things on television, even the Twin Peaks episodes not directed by Lynch.  What really stands out is the framing and the way the narrative unfolds on the screen.  For example when the Sheriff's car pulls into the background as Leland is talking to Sarah about Laura.  Or the hallway shot in the high school where the kid dances off screen, then the police officers stroll past in the distance.  You don't see things play out like that in the episodes not directed by Lynch.

• Love 2

I've said this before elsewhere but I swear, the second I hear the opening bars of the theme my whole body relaxes. It's maybe the only piece of music that I can think of off the top of my head that elicits such a specific physical reaction from me. I love everything about it. 

Also the pilot is just so great. It sucked me in immediately again and I'm hooked just like it was back when I watched this thing live. 

• Love 6

I never though of Grace Zabriskie's acting as bad in that scene. When that scene comes I get chills and become almost teary eyed, every time. If someone next to me would start laughing then I'd feel like punching them in the face! But that's me :)

With a lot of the acting, though, I think it's the soap opera element Lynch (and Frost) mixed in. Because in many ways I think it's a soap opera as much as anything else. I think that's part of its charm.

• Love 3

Watching the pilot last night for the first time since it aired, I realized that while I remember being hooked on this show, I remember very few details.  It's a nice feeling to be rewatching it with such fresh eyes.  But I had to work to forget who was secretly involved with whom (because just about everyone was engaged in a clandestine relationship) and just let things unfold.

What a terrific cast, and so beautifully shot!  It's no wonder I fell for this show from the beginning.  (And directed all my vocal memos to a Diane that didn't exist.)

I loved Grace Zabriskie's presentation of Sarah Palmer's grief.  It's raw and uncomfortable, and reminds me of descriptions of my great aunt's reaction to her daughter's death.  (Some in the family were taken aback, but my grandma thought it the most natural thing in the world.)   

Random thoughts:

Kyle MacLachlan looked so young!  I mean, he was pretty young.  But he really looks it.

I love that the setting is so different from what we usually see on television.  How often is a lumber mill the central business?

It's also nice to see local law enforcement welcome the FBI's involvment, and to see the two agencies work together.  They toss in some quick dialogue about crossing state lines to explain Cooper's presence and then just let the two characters work together.

The building's sign reads "Sheriff's Department" while the vehicles are emblazoned with "Sheriff Department."

I had completely forgotten that Warren Frost (who played Mr. Ross to Grace Zabriskie's Mrs. Ross on Seinfeld) was in this.

My mother and I still randomly say, "She's dead, wrapped in plastic," so I got a good chuckle out of finally seeing that again.  I must say, our impersonation is pretty spot on.  (We do a good "There's a fish in the percolator" too.)

Joan Chen got a much higher spot in the billing than I'd have expected.  And Zabriskie was really far down the list. 

As soon as I saw the ceiling fan in the upstairs hallway, I got the chills.  And I had to look away when Cooper examined Laura's fingernails; I'm still traumatized from watching him dig in with those tweezers 24 years ago.

I remember coveting Donna's hair.  Audrey's, not so much.

I love the music, but Julee Cruise seems quite out of place as a performer at the Roadhouse.  I think in reality she'd be run out of there.

It was nice to see a black woman as a doctor in a small-town hospital.

"We'll bury [James' half of the heart necklace]."  In this conveniently pre-dug hole that can be covered with the equally convenient rock.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5

I've said this before elsewhere but I swear, the second I hear the opening bars of the theme my whole body relaxes. It's maybe the only piece of music that I can think of off the top of my head that elicits such a specific physical reaction from me. I love everything about it. 

The Twin Peaks soundtrack is my go-to-sleep music on my iPad, so I know exactly what you mean. :)

• Love 3

First time watching "Twin Peaks", and really enjoyed it. It had David Lynch's usual quirky characters and a TV soap cheesiness (whether intentional or not) that was really engaging for me. Yes Kyle McLachlan was so young in this! I remember him most as Trey in "Sex and the City" but he was much younger (and dreamier) in this! Also nice to see young Lara Flynn Boyle (man she hasn't aged well despite all the plastic surgery. Where is she now?) and Sherilyn Fenn(!!!) (where is she now too?). Loved Julee Cruise singing "Falling" at the biker bar, and the log lady made me chuckle too. The wife with the eye patch who is obsessed with drapes is scary, and Laura's mom's freakout at her death is awesomely dramatic and campy. The sheriff was cute too. Joan Chen also hasn't aged a day since "Twin Peaks". Hate her scheming sister in law trying to destroy her business and hope she meets her comeuppance.

• Love 1

So I finally saw the Twin Peaks Pilot.  When I was young I had seen a number of the later episodes, so it was something of a shock.

The first thing that struck me was how long it took to get underway.  The show just seems to take forever focusing on everyone's grief over Laura.  I was becoming increasingly nervous because my partner, who had never seen any Twin Peaks, was getting a bit fed up.

Once Cooper arrived, however, the whole show sprang to life.  At the end of the first hour she remarked how much like Fargo the show was (in a good way).  Hopefully she will be able to hang on as it tips over and becomes increasingly weird ...

• Love 2

I have no idea how I missed this show when it first aired, but I did. So I am starting to watch now, so that I am prepared for the next show. I loved the first episode, it has held up well, the clothes didnt take me out of the scene or feel dated to me. I can't wait to see the rest. I had no idea there was a movie, I will have to find it online.

• Love 2

I always loved just how connected Laura was to everything and everyone throughout the first season. It must have been the Coke giving her energy because she did a lot.  Meals on Wheels, One Eyed Jacks, and Tutoring. She also worked at Horne's Department Store and time for Bobby, James and in some way Harold.

Edited by ShadowHunter
  • Love 3

I'm watching it again in anticipation of the new season, and am surprised by how well it's held up.  The creepy scenes are, for the most part, still very creepy.  Above all, I'm enjoying the intensity of it.  When Audrey sits down with Donna at the diner, for instance, and they exchange a few words, it's very intense--this is a scene that in any current CW show would be nothing, nothing at all, and yet here in Twin Peaks it seems essential!  The music, the look, the concision of the dialogue, the acting--it's so considered.  I love this show.

• Love 4

I binged the first season this weekend and wow, it really holds up.  I forgot how good the first season was, how different. And that theme song is just hauntingly beautiful.  I can't believe how young Kyle MacLachlan was. I'm kind of nervous to start season two because I definitely remember thinking this show went off the rails at some point but what a great first season.

• Love 3

I agree with other posts that S1 still hols up well. S2 was good up until they solved Laura's murder then well things were not so good.

That plot in S2 with James and that rich woman Evelyn was so boring. I skip through it now. 

I didn't care for Annie either and watching her and Coop was also boring. He has so much chemistry with Audrey. I know Kyle MacLachlan felt he shouldn't be paired with Audrey since she was young but Annie was only a few years older. I feel Lara Flynn Boyle also put the nail in the coffin for that pairing.

• Love 3

So my wife and I tried to watch the pilot (first time) and we made it about 1hr in but it was pretty rough.  The acting was pretty bad (way to dramatic like some terrible soap opera or way too stilted), the overwrought music didn't help and it was honestly kind of boring.  

Does the show get any better?  Because I'd love to give it another shot if it does.

I've always heard good things about Twin Peaks, but perhaps it's more of a nostalgia thing.  It's not like we bounced off of it because it was an early 90's show as we watched Northern Exposure which started the same time and that show holds up (although that was more of a quirky comedy-drama so that might have helped).

• Love 1
On 5/18/2017 at 2:35 PM, Matt K said:

So my wife and I tried to watch the pilot (first time) and we made it about 1hr in but it was pretty rough.  The acting was pretty bad (way to dramatic like some terrible soap opera or way too stilted), the overwrought music didn't help and it was honestly kind of boring.  

Does the show get any better?  Because I'd love to give it another shot if it does.

I've always heard good things about Twin Peaks, but perhaps it's more of a nostalgia thing.  It's not like we bounced off of it because it was an early 90's show as we watched Northern Exposure which started the same time and that show holds up (although that was more of a quirky comedy-drama so that might have helped).

I would say if you hated the pilot you probably won't like what comes later... it doesn't get "less" of any of that stuff and probably gets "more" in some ways. But you get used to it? I personally love the whole series which is also a controversial opinion. 

• Love 6
On 5/19/2017 at 3:21 PM, Lisin said:

I would say if you hated the pilot you probably won't like what comes later... it doesn't get "less" of any of that stuff and probably gets "more" in some ways. But you get used to it? I personally love the whole series which is also a controversial opinion. 

Thanks, I'll probably watch the first episode of the new season and see if I end up wanting to go back.

• Love 1
(edited)

{skipped to the (current) end of this thread to avoid possible spoilers, but feel the need to ask this before I jump in to the series with both feet....}

As a soon-to-be first time viewer of this series [yes, really], should I watch the post-2nd season prequel movie (Fire Walk With Me) before starting season 1 or is it actually better to watch the movie after the first two seasons?

TIA.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
(edited)
4 hours ago, nkotb said:

Agreed with this. However, really just commenting because @jsbt, your avatar, just what the Fluke?? ;-)

My avatar history is mostly a string of ludicrous images from TV's General Hospital which I find funny. Case in point: this absolutely ridiculous Look

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, jsbt said:

My avatar history is mostly a string of ludicrous images from TV's General Hospital which I find funny. Case in point: this absolutely ridiculous Look

...as it should be! May I suggest that you change your next one to whatever that was Lulu wore to the nurse's ball (I know ER is pregnant IRL, & they didn't write it in, but it looked like she should be sitting on top of a cake, or actually, that dress was big enough that she could actually BE the cake!).

On "Twin Peaks" topic, my husband is a bit younger than I am, & he'd never seen the original, which I told him that he had to do before we could watch the reboot. We pushed it off a bit too long, but we started it last week. OMG, Bob is scarier than I remember. We actually just finished the first season, & there were plotlines that I'm not sure if I forgot, or never knew, most notably, the Josie/Hank deal. 

I was a kid the first time this one on. I somehow watched everything but this. I'm struggling for the reasons that Matt K said. My question is did everyone get that it was campy and over the top when it originally aired? Some of the acting is so very awful, but I'm not sure how much of that is intentional.

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, LJonEarth said:

I was a kid the first time this one on. I somehow watched everything but this. I'm struggling for the reasons that Matt K said. My question is did everyone get that it was campy and over the top when it originally aired? Some of the acting is so very awful, but I'm not sure how much of that is intentional.

How much was intentional?  The vast majority. :)

It helps to keep in mind TP was never your standard-fare made-for-TV series.  It is serialized theatre - and although it's shot for and presented on the small screen, theatrical performances by their very nature are ALWAYS larger-than-life.  :)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, LJonEarth said:

Ray Wise gave an interview recently where he talked about how when he read the pilot script it was Leland crying and crying, and he didn't know how that would come across, but he realized he would need to play it with layers and gradually building up. Grace Zabriskie said Lynch kept asking her to make her reactions to Laura's death bigger and bigger, to the point where she wasn't sure at all about her performance as it got a lot of laughter from fans along with tears. He told her (this was in an interview years later) pretty much that she did a wonderful job and that's how he'd wanted it. It was all likely intended to be realistically unrealistic. 

My favorite of those types of hyper-emotional scenes was Bobby in Dr. Jacoby's office - Dana Ashbrook's performance in that scene, along with the strength of the writing and directing and so on, is sort of the textbook for me in exactly what Twin Peaks is. 

• Love 2

You know. After reading your comments, I watched another episode. I realized the credit music is cheesy clichéd soap opera music. I'm still a bit bored at the end of season 1, but I get it. Thanks, guys.

Except for 10,000 episodes of Doctor Who, I think this is the first old show that I've gone back to watch versus rewatching things I experienced as a child. Even I Love Lucy and Little House were new to me because of the way TV programming was in the 80s and 90s.

I just need to readjust how I'm watching it. I may need to do an all day binge for Season 2 instead of slow-playing it like I tried with Season 1.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, LJonEarth said:

You know. After reading your comments, I watched another episode. I realized the credit music is cheesy clichéd soap opera music. I'm still a bit bored at the end of season 1, but I get it. Thanks, guys.

Except for 10,000 episodes of Doctor Who, I think this is the first old show that I've gone back to watch versus rewatching things I experienced as a child. Even I Love Lucy and Little House were new to me because of the way TV programming was in the 80s and 90s.

I just need to readjust how I'm watching it. I may need to do an all day binge for Season 2 instead of slow-playing it like I tried with Season 1.

Season 2 will definitely make you feel various emotions...