Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E18: When They See Us Coming

• Start Topic

When the FBI takes over the firehouse for an undercover mission, Casey and Severide volunteer to assist with the investigation.  Kidd attempts to help Severide come to terms with recent developments he's been managing.

For a show that thrives on absurd plotlines, this one had to be a gold medal contender.  So many WTF moments.  The best part was the shootout in the hallway, with both groups of FBI agents shooting in each other's direction.  What could possibly go wrong?  Hannah Wells would not approve.  And, any of that residual trust and good will that the locals have for CFD?  Bye.

One thing continues to puzzle me (okay, one of the things...).  Do they work 8 hour shifts at 51, or 24 hour shifts?  If they work 24s, then, by observation, the entire stationhouse is down at Molly's the night before they go back on shift.  And that seems to happen every shift, even if the FBI isn't buying the drinks.

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, gaucho91 said:

Everything about the episode was utterly ridiculous!

I thought it was just me. It wasn't even  passable filler episode. Between the FBI shoot out and holing up in the station, just everything. Even Severide's storyline was pointless. I asked myself after watching last night if there were budget issues (no real fires or emergencies) and the producers just told the writers room to "get inventive". 

I'm a late comer to the show. I started watching in season 6 and caught up by watching seasons 1 through 5 on DVD from the library in the last 3 months. What a come down. In comparison to the earlier seasons, this season is just bad. This episode was probably the worst, in my opinion. 

• Love 1

Just no.. bad episode and I really don't think the FBI would be hiding out in a firehouse or anyone's home. 

I did like the argument between Kelly and Benny and maybe Kelly is right about his dad. 

I think Cordova still likes Gabby and maybe won't admit it. But I don't think she should have said what they had was nothing but Cordova sure looked good in the towel. 

I think this kid Taye is going to disappear or something bad will happen to him. 

Otis driving the truck already? Well, someone was right about him making a miraculous recovery though. 

• Love 3

The best part was the shootout in the hallway, with both groups of FBI agents shooting in each other's direction.  What could possibly go wrong?

This is the second episode in a row with a shootout scene that made zero sense. Last week it was Gabby and Brett in the middle of an all-out melee with bullets being shot in their direction from all around them and yet they miraculously never got hit. This week - well, you just described it. WTF? 

I found the entire story with Severide's parents utterly pointless, unless there's more to it than this. 

• Love 4

I got the feeling the people in charge of "Chicago Fire" didn't want to waste their fire/action budget and came up with this terrible episode.

What was the purpose of the cancelled call? To get all the vehicles out of the fire house only to have a dramatic FBI entrance???!!!

I hope this wasn't some introduction to a Chicago FBI spinoff. If so, please change the agents. They were so inept. 

I was hoping it was the pregnant girl that threw the brick. She looked more pissed than Taye.

Is Kelly trying to settle down or will his mother's claim (He is his father's son) come true?

Are we going to get another Cruz/Sylvie romance?

Casey will use that hockey stick on Cordova's head.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

I got the feeling the people in charge of "Chicago Fire" didn't want to waste their fire/action budget and came up with this terrible episode.

What was the purpose of the cancelled call? To get all the vehicles out of the fire house only to have a dramatic FBI entrance???!!!

I hope this wasn't some introduction to a Chicago FBI spinoff. If so, please change the agents. They were so inept. 

I was hoping it was the pregnant girl that threw the brick. She looked more pissed than Taye.

Is Kelly trying to settle down or will his mother's claim (He is his father's son) come true?

Are we going to get another Cruz/Sylvie romance?

Casey will use that hockey stick on Cordova's head.

I don't understand that comment. What does it mean when one says he is his father's son? I don't think Kelly will ever settle down. 

11 minutes ago, Waterston Fan said:

I don't understand that comment. What does it mean when one says he is his father's son? I don't think Kelly will ever settle down. 

She was warning Stella: Kelly will be the same jerk just like Benny was to her. Mama thinks it's in the Severide genes.

But I don't get where the show's going. A few episodes back he watching Gabby/Matt and thinking about being with Stella.

I was surprised Kelly didn't hookup with the FBI agent by the end of the episode.

Edited by mxc90
1 hour ago, mxc90 said:

She was warning Stella: Kelly will be the same jerk just like Benny was to her. Mama thinks it's in the Severide genes.

But I don't get where the show's going. A few episodes back he watching Gabby/Matt and thinking about being with Stella.

I was surprised Kelly didn't hookup with the FBI agent by the end of the episode.

Okay, thanks. 

I have to admit, I wonder if he was thinking about hooking up with Stella but then his parents came in and he suddenly remembered all the things they put him through so he didn't want to settle down anymore. 

EDIT: Yeah, I am surprised he didn't hook up with the FBI agent either. 

Edited by Waterston Fan
  • Love 1

I found this episode extremely disturbing. White FBI agents shoot down two Black men under the false pretense of being firefighters, on a false emergency?

No due process for the Black man who allegedly shot the officer's partner?  And the Black man's brother, was he just collateral damage?

A small Black boy watches his father and mother be murdered before his eyes? A young Black woman is left a widow?

Everyone at the bar in toasting the killing of two Black men?

How was this different from a lynching?

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 1

I LOVED the subtlety of the FBI's arrival at the station. I mean how smooth was that, nobody in the neighbourhood would have noticed anything......and then it went downhill from there.

And what precisely was the point of keeping them all at the station? So we could see Brett make goo goo eyes at 'Mr It wasn't nothing to me' or her current roommate & ex? Or see Matt literally try and crawl out of his skin to get away from his wife, or Hermann bitch about other people and their lack of professionalism again.

Of course, the FBI are incompetent bumbling fools.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, MaryHedwig said:

?I found this episode extremely disturbing. White FBI agents shoot down two Black men under the false pretense of being firefighters, on a false emergency?

No due process for the Black man who allegedly shot the officer's partner?  And the Black man's brother, was he just collateral damage?

A small Black boy watches his father and mother be murdered before his eyes? A young Black woman is left a widow?

Everyone at the bar in toasting the killing of two Black men?

How was this different from a lynching?

The men were holding Casey and Kelly at gunpoint and using them as hostages to get out of the building.  The feds ordered them to drop their weapons, and they shot first.  This was not a lynching IMO.

• Love 7

Meh, I hated this episode.  The FBI agent whose partner was killed is such a supreme overactor.  And why can't anybody approach the fire station?  Why can't Taye walk up and knock on the door?  Why do they have to stop him 50 yards from the firehouse and make him go away?  Just absurd, it's not like there was a fugitive inside the firehouse or that this Taye kid was carrying a bomb in his backpack.

So Cordova still has a thing for Gabby...maybe this will get a little interesting.

Sylvie and Cruz again?  Blech.  Just because she sees Cruz doing homework with Taye?  Would have been more interesting to see her hook up with Cordova.

So Otis can barely walk to the truck, yet somehow his feet work well enough to push the pedals?  Right...

Nice seeing you again, Kim Delaney.  That was fast.  I totally forgot about Benny until he showed up last week.  Hopefully he stays away for another long time because Kelly gets all moody when he's around.

• Love 4

@greyhorse  I agree with you. I think that FBI agent is a weasely little guy. If they ever do a remake of MASH, he could play Frank Burns aka ferret face. The only thing I liked was how they got the FBI in the building in the first place. 

The shoot out was ridiculous. Why didn't the FBI  guys go through the door first? They had on fire gear. They had guns. Could have been over without the fire fight. Pardon the pun. 

Edited by Reality police
Forgot something
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, Guildford said:

I LOVED the subtlety of the FBI's arrival at the station. I mean how smooth was that, nobody in the neighbourhood would have noticed anything......and then it went downhill from there.

And what precisely was the point of keeping them all at the station? So we could see Brett make goo goo eyes at 'Mr It wasn't nothing to me' or her current roommate & ex? Or see Matt literally try and crawl out of his skin to get away from his wife, or Hermann bitch about other people and their lack of professionalism again.

Of course, the FBI are incompetent bumbling fools.

High time Casey crawled permanently away from Grabby! He needs to get rid of her for good!

23 hours ago, JustS said:

I thought it was just me. It wasn't even  passable filler episode. Between the FBI shoot out and holing up in the station, just everything. Even Severide's storyline was pointless. I asked myself after watching last night if there were budget issues (no real fires or emergencies) and the producers just told the writers room to "get inventive". 

I'm a late comer to the show. I started watching in season 6 and caught up by watching seasons 1 through 5 on DVD from the library in the last 3 months. What a come down. In comparison to the earlier seasons, this season is just bad. This episode was probably the worst, in my opinion. 

Sadly this show is being pushed down the tubes by rubbish writing and show running. And they have such a wonderful cast. Sad to see!

• Love 3

If this was on Chicago PD Voight would probably haul off and hit the arrogant FBI man who lost his partner. And told him to put up or shut up. Really that FBI man needed to be taken down a notch and taught how to mind his manners or did he have bad parents to teach him that. Wished this was on PD not FD!

• Love 2

That was really stupid. If the FBI wanted to take over the station why not just send eveyone home and park a fumigation or city maintenance  truck outside? 

Plus the plan at the end was extra stupid. Pull the fire alarm, what if the criminals had evacuated to the front of the building like everyone else. Would the FBI really try to arrest an armed murderer there and risk getting in a shootout in a crowd of innocent bystanders?

• Love 3

The only good things about this episode were seeing Casey and Severide together in the apartment building, and of course Sylvie drooling at Cordova in a towel. 

Every week I get my hopes up that Gabbie will be shot. Maybe next week....

Edited by MakeMeLaugh
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, MakeMeLaugh said:

The only good things about this episode were seeing Casey and Severide together in the apartment building, and of course Sylvie drooling at Cordova in a towel. 

Every week I get my hopes up that Gabbie will be shot. Maybe next week....

Good to see a bit of Sevasey! We're just hoping that Casey just wakes up and realises what a horrid person he has shackled himself to and then gets rid of her. But to be honest we wouldn't care how Grabby was got rid of really!

22 hours ago, greyhorse said:

So Cordova still has a thing for Gabby...maybe this will get a little interesting.

So Otis can barely walk to the truck, yet somehow his feet work well enough to push the pedals?  Right...

Yeah we're hoping that Cordova will take Grabby away permanently from Casey and that he'll find someone who will really love him unconditionally. And no doubt Otis's injury will be forgotten like Casey's head injury has been! Lol.

• Love 1

Btw, something I thought of... when Severide went to the guy's door, was he being too loud or was the guy near the door and just happened to be looking in the peephole? Seemed like the guy had some spidey senses going on or something. 

3 hours ago, Waterston Fan said:

Btw, something I thought of... when Severide went to the guy's door, was he being too loud or was the guy near the door and just happened to be looking in the peephole? Seemed like the guy had some spidey senses going on or something. 

Maybe he heard them talking to the guy in the other apartment.

43 minutes ago, Reality police said:

Maybe he heard them talking to the guy in the other apartment.

Seems like it was a few doors down unless Casey or the other dad had a loud voice and that's when it made the bad guy open the door. 

I don't live in apartments, so I really don't know if you can hear the person down the hall if you are near your door. 

Depends on the apartment and the building, but in low cost housing, which is what these seemed to be, definitely.   Sound proofing is for rich people, apparently!  I live in a reasonably well to do apartment building and I can hear people in the hallway, and in the hallway, I can hear into people's apartments.

• Love 1

This was ALL SO STUPID. ALL OF IT.

The FBI storming into the firehouse, without it being cleared by higher authorities. The FBI agents. The FBI screening visitors. All of the agents somehow forgetting to look at the building to watch Cruz and the kid who broke a window. A CFD chief, captain and lieutenant present during the FBI agents' meeting (and lecturing them about how to do an operation?).  I guess no federals ever cleared a building before looking for a suspect before in the history of ever, until Casey presents them with a plan: "People see firefighters coming, they lower their guard". WELL NOT ANYMORE THEY WONT.  

And Cordova, still hung up on a woman he had a fling with for a couple of weeks OVER A DECADE AGO. 

The only thing that made sense was Kelly's mom telling Stella how both her and Benny did a number on Kelly.

• Love 2

All of that might be true about the FBI, but, hey, the head guy did pay for everyone's drinks over at Molly's.  That makes it all good.  If I were Hermann, I would have bumped the beer prices up 50% to pad the account.

• Love 2

I hope this wasn't some introduction to a Chicago FBI spinoff.

Heh. After the way Chicago Justice fell on its face I'm willing to bet NBC isn't chomping at the bit to greenlight any more spinoffs. 

• Love 3

Yeah as really think that if the young FBI agent was out of line talking to people like that. Again I wished it was on PD not FD. If Voight was there sure he is rogue but at least he would give that young agent an attitude adjustment. Plus I think the agent would had in real life be reprimanded for doing that.

• Love 2
On 4/14/2018 at 12:57 AM, LittleIggy said:

I wish they had shown Cruz having Taye clean up the mess he had made with the brick.

This. IMO the way Cruz was acting, it was like the kid should have a free pass for his behavior just because he was upset Cruz hadn't been able to keep his promise. This is an older kid with all his faculties intact who basically vandalized city property in a temper tantrum because his feelings got hurt. Of course Taye shouldn't have been arrested, as he feared; but getting a free pass because he has a single mom, dad in jail, and hurt feelings is also wrong.

• Love 1

This was the most ridiculous episode ever. Could we class it as the shows jumping the shark moment?

i thought it was going to be a backdoor pilot for Chicago FBI. 

• Love 1
(edited)
34 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

This was the most ridiculous episode ever. Could we class it as the shows jumping the shark moment?

i thought it was going to be a backdoor pilot for Chicago FBI. 

Guess what Dick Wolf's new show is called? FBI. Dont know what city it's set in though and cant watch it in the uk anyway...

Edited by belletane