Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E20: Sight Unseen

MyAimIsTrue
  • Start Topic

NCIS searches for a petty officer suspected of assault who escapes when the sheriff transporting him crashes into a lake. Also, Torres works closely with Annie Barth, a key blind witness who heard vital evidence needed to solve the case.

An OK episode.  I'm sick to death of the trope where someone has shown little to no interest in someone else and then get mad that they go out on a date with someone else, though.

I figured the dad was a bad guy, just because I thought 90210 dad would have to do something besides just stand there and be supportive.  Didn't know the lawyer would be in on it.  Very sneaky having him just nod during the ear witness line-up.  I'm a little confused about one thing.  I got distracted for a couple of minutes so maybe I missed something. But, the blind woman's brother said the cop was chasing a drunk driver.  We now know there was no second car.  Was brother in on it too?

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I figured the dad was a bad guy, just because I thought 90210 dad would have to do something besides just stand there and be supportive.  Didn't know the lawyer would be in on it.  Very sneaky having him just nod during the ear witness line-up.  I'm a little confused about one thing.  I got distracted for a couple of minutes so maybe I missed something. But, the blind woman's brother said the cop was chasing a drunk driver.  We now know there was no second car.  Was brother in on it too?

55 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

I knew the lawyer was in on it when he said nothing during the line up...defense lawyers usually can't shut up during those things so I knew he was the guy.

I didn't (immediately) pick up on the dad, but I figured the lawyer would be in on it during the line-up scene - although I didn't realize until afterwards that he didn't speak during. I think as they were leaving, he had an odd expression on his face, and I suddenly expected him to say something and have Annie pick up on it.

I don't think the brother was in on it - I think he was just repeating what he was told by the cop.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, secnarf said:

I don't think the brother was in on it - I think he was just repeating what he was told by the cop.

And as a guy who has his vision, he was not at all tuned into listening for special sounds, as the second "thunk-thunk". 

I suspected the lawyer because he was an annoying, apparently unnecessary character. Casting budgets don't allow for that.

So Bishop wouldn't know a date if it bit her. Maybe that explains how she fell for her spy, two-timing ex-husband.

It should have been suspicious that the squad car ran off the road and straight into the lake, but the speeder he was chasing didn't, let alone that there was no thump from the grating.

• Love 2

LOL @ the title - "Sight Unseen."  More like "Episode Unseen."  Anyone else in the Houston or Texas area who didn't get to see or even record last night's NCIS episode due to the local coverage of Barbara Bush's life?  I'm not complaining, of course.  She was a great lady and a true Texan at heart.  Besides,  I know I can catch it later on demand.  Just laughing at the title.

This episode started with so much potential....... but then : The supposed drunk driver was seen or heard by no one included the sighted brother, that the police vehicle just flew in out of nowhere— duh, shouldn’t have taken the sister’s memories much later to be alerted to that fact. And the minute the lawyer was such a tool when they were interviewing the fiancé ( and why was he even there?) I knew he was involved. 

Nice homage ( or was it borrowing- these writers are so average) to “ Wait Until Dark” movie from the sixties with Audrey Hepburn as a blind girl fighting intruder in her apartment.

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, Packerbrewerbadger said:

Nice homage ( or was it borrowing- these writers are so average) to “ Wait Until Dark” movie from the sixties with Audrey Hepburn as a blind girl fighting intruder in her apartment.

I'm glad that I wasn't the only one who got that (if it was intentional!!)! I remembered the movie and  scenes, but couldn't come up with the title.

IIRC that was quite a cast-in addition to Hepburn,wasn't there  Efrem Zimbalest jr., Richard Crenna, Alan Arkin as the scary baddie.

• Love 3

It kind of annoyed me when Torres asked Annie could have been mistaken about not hearing the second kerplunk.  Eyewitnesses are notorious for missing things, being mistaken, getting things out of sequence, etc.  I don't know why an earwitness would be above reproach in that area.  Especially since she didn't remember until later.  I'm not saying that it should have been dismissed.  But to assume that it is the unimpeachable truth just seemed laughable.

1 hour ago, MDL said:

I'm glad that I wasn't the only one who got that (if it was intentional!!)! I remembered the movie and  scenes, but couldn't come up with the title.

IIRC that was quite a cast-in addition to Hepburn,wasn't there  Efrem Zimbalest jr., Richard Crenna, Alan Arkin as the scary baddie.

Great cast, and believably scary movie.

• Love 3

Bishop is dumber than paint if she actually didn't realize that Torres and Annie wanted to be alone. Which, I guess might not surprise me. I can roll with the pairing, but this is NCIS so no doubt one or both of them will be mauled by a bear or something.

Couldn't be bothered to keep track of all the people and their motives and who was eventually guilty, good thing it was a one-shot.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, JessDVD said:

Bishop is dumber than paint if she actually didn't realize that Torres and Annie wanted to be alone.

Don't forget the former top NSA analyst had also not realized that she had been on a date the previous night. Maybe she bumped her head (on a plot-anvil)?

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Katy M said:

It kind of annoyed me when Torres asked Annie could have been mistaken about not hearing the second kerplunk.  Eyewitnesses are notorious for missing things, being mistaken, getting things out of sequence, etc.  I don't know why an earwitness would be above reproach in that area.  Especially since she didn't remember until later.  I'm not saying that it should have been dismissed.  But to assume that it is the unimpeachable truth just seemed laughable.

And yet, it was so insulting when Torres was with Vance and Gibbs and just dismissed Annie's value as a witness because she's blind. It seemed set up as a heavy handed learning moment for Gibbs to push him to be thorough and get over his bias, and for him to eventually appreciate and be attracted to Annie. I don't like this weakness in the agents; it seems like we should be way past this by now.

• Love 3
On 4/17/2018 at 9:15 PM, stonehaven said:

I knew the lawyer was in on it when he said nothing during the line up...defense lawyers usually can't shut up during those things so I knew he was the guy.

agreed.

On 4/18/2018 at 10:22 PM, JessDVD said:

Bishop is dumber than paint if she actually didn't realize that Torres and Annie wanted to be alone.

Also agreed. I loved the side eye at Tim which basically screamed "HELLOIWANTTOBEALONEHEREEEEEEEEEEE"

i did NOT like the closing photo shot on Bishop making a face at Torres/Annie. BOOOOOOOOOO. And I took Torres asking about her night about strictly because he was mad the guy didn't call him like they previously agreed. I didn't necessarily think he was jealous. (Perhaps i'm so against them, that i can't bear for BOTH of them to be pining away...)

• Love 2
3 hours ago, betsyboo said:

agreed.

Also agreed. I loved the side eye at Tim which basically screamed "HELLOIWANTTOBEALONEHEREEEEEEEEEEE"

i did NOT like the closing photo shot on Bishop making a face at Torres/Annie. BOOOOOOOOOO. And I took Torres asking about her night about strictly because he was mad the guy didn't call him like they previously agreed. I didn't necessarily think he was jealous. (Perhaps i'm so against them, that i can't bear for BOTH of them to be pining away...)

I seem to recall on an episode or two back (but I can't remember because I cared so little) that they showed Torres being jealous first, and Bishop was totally clueless. I actually wondered if he showed up with Annie just to make Bishop jealous, which would only make me dislike him more.

• Love 1
On 4/17/2018 at 8:28 PM, UncleChuck said:

And as a guy who has his vision, he was not at all tuned into listening for special sounds, as the second "thunk-thunk". 

Irrelevant aside, but amusing to me - the beat in the Bee Gee's hit "Jive Talking" was based on the rhythm of the thunks when they drove over a particular bridge.

On 4/18/2018 at 7:25 AM, Packerbrewerbadger said:

This episode started with so much potential....... but then : The supposed drunk driver was seen or heard by no one included the sighted brother, that the police vehicle just flew in out of nowhere— duh, shouldn’t have taken the sister’s memories much later to be alerted to that fact. And the minute the lawyer was such a tool when they were interviewing the fiancé ( and why was he even there?) I knew he was involved.

Well, the sheriff did say his car went out of control, which is flimsy but almost plausible account of why the drunk driver wouldn't be seen. As for heard, I could hand wave that for the brother anyway, as the siren was going and the lights flashing, which were distracting.

On 4/20/2018 at 10:38 AM, betsyboo said:

I thought Torres was jealous - but jealous that the friend chose Bishop over him.

Was I the only one who was waiting for some awesome voice activated counter measures when the lawyer was chasing the redhead?

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

Irrelevant aside, but amusing to me - the beat in the Bee Gee's hit "Jive Talking" was based on the rhythm of the thunks when they drove over a particular bridge.

Cool tidbit.  I love that song as well as the beat and never knew that.

• Love 1

CBS Sunday Morning had an interview with Paulie Perette yesterday, and it focused upon her upcoming exit from the show and her work with various charities.  I'm sure you can find it on line somewhere and probably on the CBS website if anyone is interested in watching it. 

On 4/23/2018 at 11:05 AM, MyAimIsTrue said:

Cool tidbit.  I love that song as well as the beat and never knew that.

Yep, the Bee Gees lived (and I think Barry still lives) on Miami Beach.  Supposedly, it was one of the causeways over Biscayne Bay to the mainland.

Edited by transitfan
Typos