Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E18: Local Vendors Day

When local small businesses set up shop inside Cloud 9, Glenn tries to help his wife Jerusha sell her handmade needlepoint, despite Jonah's concerns that he's pressuring his employees. Meanwhile, Amy doesn't feel Latina enough when a guy flirts with her in Spanish, and Garrett tries to uncover the truth behind a beer vendor's product.

Did Budweiser pay for product placement?  They are based in St. Louis.  And one message here was that the craft beer maker was just rebottling Bud Light.  Maybe Anheuser Busch wants us to believe that that's what craft beer really is.

• Love 4

I seriously can not stand Glenn. The only laugh was when Dina had Cheyenne google what I want to do it in the butt or something like that was in Spanish. I haven't cared much for the last couple of episodes and Jonah gets on my nerves now.

• Love 2
(edited)

I think I laughed hardest at Dina's "Peter the black guy, yeah okay, that doesn't sound right, but whatever." I liked that whole scene in the breakroom - Sandra responding "Oh God" to Justine's "Ay ay ay!"...  the consenus that Amy only dates white guys... the discussion of whether having a preference is racist. Everyone had such good timing in that scene.

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Love 19
(edited)

I actually liked the cold open with everyone teasing Glenn about cheating on Jerusha and threatening to call her. He's just so dumb and easily confused. Her phone rings and he screams "Don't answer that!" 

And I'm still not a fan of the whole Jonah/Amy thing but I did get a kick out of Jonah's escalating alarm over Amy dating the delivery guy and trying to set up a double date even though she's paying no attention to him.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 16

Well, I was thrilled they had the scenes with Jonah talking to Glenn about pressuring the employees and the subsequent convo with the staff. Because I don't know about anyone else, but ever since this Deanna surrogate storyline started, I've been wondering if the writers wanted us to forget that they've been parents for years and years, that Jonah even dated one of them. But seems they actually remembered it since Justine had a line about feeling pressured to buy something from his foster kids. It's felt like they've written this as a 40-50 something (honestly don't know how old they want me to believe they are) childless couple desperate to get a kid in the house.  I'm still confused about the storyline, but at least there's clarification about that.

• Love 4

As someone who likes to embroider, I had to roll my eyes at the dislike of Jerusha's embroidery. Okay, I couldn't see it up close, and I'm 99% positive the show used machine embroidery because that type of embroidery is freaking hard and if it were hand-stitched and as neat and clean as Jerusha's, it would be gorgeous.

I did laugh when Jerusha said she could put a squirrel on a hat but not on a scarf. And Glenn's tie with the embroidered dog at the bottom.

• Love 4
(edited)
15 hours ago, Accidental Martyr said:

This episode was pretty good until Glenn’s meltdown/threat/ultimatum at the end. 

I don't know if anyone here reads the Ask A Manager blog but what Glenn did at the end is the basis for so many letters.  "I'm being forced to spend my paycheck to buy Girl Scout Cookies/my boss a gift....etc."  I can usually tolerate Glenn's inappropriateness but that probably made me more mad than anything else because it was so real.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 14

The cold open was funny as was the break room chat about Amy's dating preferences. Also, Dina, Cheyenne and MAteo's mad-libs for Amy.  "Amy is the SAD one'  LOL.

I found Glen pressuring of the staff and Garrett's interaction with the craft brew lady off putting.  It is one thing to suspect or even discuss with Jonah but to announce it other people it a dick move.  What does it matter to him if she's re-branding.  I found her sales patter kinda funny, though -- it was sooo pretentious and fake.  It does sound like someone has an axe to grind against craft brews.

Also Amy's storyline didn't make sense.  The beverage guy already knew and was accepting that she was Latina.  She didn't have to prove anything to him.  It was the coworkers who don't connect her with the Latina identity.

• Love 4
On 4/7/2018 at 12:40 PM, Irlandesa said:

I don't know if anyone here reads the Ask A Manager blog but what Glenn did at the end is the basis for so many letters.  "I'm being forced to spend my paycheck to buy Girl Scout Cookies/my boss a gift....etc."  I can usually tolerate Glenn's inappropriateness but that probably made me more mad than anything else because it was so real.

I can relate.

One time my supervisor asked the employees to purchase a Christmas present for the CEO.  Even though she didn't say anything outright, it was implied that you absolutely must or be excluded from the party that was being held for the company.  I decided not to since I was only working part-time (15 hrs/week) and being paid minimum wage.  Of course, everybody received an invitation while I did not.

Other than that, it was parents trying to pressure colleagues into buying whatever their children were selling to help raise funds for school.  I didn't mind that one so much since it was usually a cheap candy bar and the like.

It rings very true to real life.

• Love 3
On 4/7/2018 at 5:34 PM, DearEvette said:

The cold open was funny as was the break room chat about Amy's dating preferences. Also, Dina, Cheyenne and MAteo's mad-libs for Amy.  "Amy is the SAD one'  LOL.

I found Glen pressuring of the staff and Garrett's interaction with the craft brew lady off putting.  It is one thing to suspect or even discuss with Jonah but to announce it other people it a dick move.  What does it matter to him if she's re-branding.  I found her sales patter kinda funny, though -- it was sooo pretentious and fake.  It does sound like someone has an axe to grind against craft brews.

Also Amy's storyline didn't make sense.  The beverage guy already knew and was accepting that she was Latina.  She didn't have to prove anything to him.  It was the coworkers who don't connect her with the Latina identity.

The woman with the beer was lying and committing fraud too, if she was just pouring Bud Light into a differenly labeled bottle and passing it off as her own beer. She deserved to be called out on it.

The issue with the beverage guy -- or at least Amy's interpretation -- was that she was feeling as though she wasn't Latina enough: she didn't speak Spanish, she didn't know where tacos were from, etc.

• Love 7

I sure don't like when Glenn pressures the employees and this was the worst he has ever been, but I assume the show likes it as a uncomfortable/funny storyline. Jeff and now new woman is always suspiciously absent in the episodes when this is occurring to shut it down. We don't know new woman well, but Jeff would've told Glenn he couldn't pressure the employees or Jerusha wouldn't be able to be involved in Local Vendors Day in the future, might have pulled her out on the same day. There was another one or two where Glenn was basically preaching about something that was essentially forcing his religious views on others. Again, no Jeff. Given how often Jeff was around and how he's always not around when Glenn does something like this, I kind of dismiss the seriousness of it in Cloud 9 world because they seem to want it to stay on the show even if I'm not the biggest fan. There are ways to shut it down if they wanted. Not in a Cloud 9 cares about the employees feeling pressured kind of way which wouldn't ring true, but in a "we don't need the potential legal hassle, so let's shut this down," kind of way.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

The woman with the beer was lying and committing fraud too, if she was just pouring Bud Light into a differenly labeled bottle and passing it off as her own beer. She deserved to be called out on it.

Agreed.  If he had done it after she admitted to it.  But he did it before.  At that point, he only had his suspicions with no actual proof.  And up until she admitted it, even we in the audience are unsure.  Does Garrett have a bad palate?  Is she just a lousy brewer.  But he was costing her sales based on up to that point just on his supposition which is why I call it a dick move.  Until he knew definitively he was just being a jerk because what is it to him if some people were buying her beer?  In the end the whole storyline was ultimately packaged as the metaphorical kid pulling on the pigtails of the girl he likes -- which still makes it rather bad.

• Love 2

Garrett has had a few weird episodes lately, where it seems like the writers aren't sure who his character is.

He was fan-boying over Phil LaMarr.

He was suddenly a goody two-shoes who struggled to remember ever breaking any store employee rules in Amnesty.

Which is silly, because two episodes later he's helping Mateo sneak into Glenn's office to change his employee score. Something which he clearly was familiar with doing.

Here he has an irritating obsession with proving a woman that he likes is lying.

None of those fit with the laid-back, sarcastic, manipulative trickster that we usually see in episodes like District Manager or Target.

It's probably just different writers, or a struggle to fit him into some episodes, but there have been some fairly striking shifts lately.

• Love 14
15 hours ago, ae2 said:

He was suddenly a goody two-shoes who struggled to remember ever breaking any store employee rules in Amnesty.

In that episode, I took it that he was lying about not having broken any rules to mess with Cheyenne and then to cover his ass with Glenn.  No?

8 hours ago, janie jones said:

In that episode, I took it that he was lying about not having broken any rules to mess with Cheyenne and then to cover his ass with Glenn.  No?

I... don't think so? He seemed genuinely conflicted that he had never broken any of the rules. I guess it's possible the script intended him to play it the way you suggested, but the actor seemed to portray it genuinely.

• Love 3
On 4/6/2018 at 7:10 PM, JasmineFlower said:

It's felt like they've written this as a 40-50 something (honestly don't know how old they want me to believe they are) childless couple desperate to get a kid in the house.  I'm still confused about the storyline, but at least there's clarification about that.

They're desperate for a baby that has their genetic make up.  The baby Dina is carrying is made up of his and Jerusha's dna. For some people that's important.  I would imagine they have known for a long time they can't do it themselves which is why they fostered so much, but still deep down harbored a wish for one of 'their' own.  It's also possible (although unlikely based on my experience in Texas with the foster system) that they've never had a baby come through their door - only older kids and they want the whole experience from baby to adulthood on a child they get to keep forever.     

I did like the pressuring because it does happen and I think it happens more than we know in places where there are large quantities of workers who really can't afford to spend the extra.  

Edited by joanne3482
  • Love 1