Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: I Heart New York

1403808b+%255Bwww.imagesplitter.net%255D

Dr. Dylan Reinhart and Det. Lizzie Needham are reassigned to a murder case in Central Park when their investigation into a chemical attack on the subway is taken over by an FBI team led by Dylan’s estranged father, Roger. However, Dylan can’t shake the feeling that the cases are related.

Promos

It's rare that I think the pilot is the best episode, but in this case I don't think the subsequent ones have charmed me as much.  I liked Lizzie and Dylan better.  And what happened to CIA guy?  You know, the one who brought out his gun, knocked down a for, and massively took down that guy?  He's not quite Castle levels of avoiding physically, but it's close.

• Love 2
(edited)

It’s a real dichotomy — part of the show I like, part I roll my eyes in a major way.  I think the weak link is Alan Cumming.  He is just miscast, IMO.  Tonight the apartment of the bad guy was laughable — practically a step 1, step 2, step 3 of why he does what he does.  Totally cheesy with the little kid drawings.  And the professor looks up and immediately knows just where to find the killer.  The premise has potential but the writing does not live up to the possibilities.  I may sign off of Instinct.  I do like the female detective and the actress.  I’m a fan of Alan’s — just not in this role.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 3
47 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

I think the weak link is Alan Cumming. He is just miscast, IMO.  

—whereas I think the scripts are the problem and that Alan Cumming is at most guilty of delivering the lines with a bit of breaking the fourth wall to let the audience know that he knows that we know how bad the writing is. I mean, in this episode: Holy Exposition Fairies, Batman! And no double entendre needed. Last week's script was probably the best, but then large parts were plagiarized. The actors can't help feeling burned when they realized how they were used, but most likely they still had no idea about the previous episode's ethical issues when this one was filmed.

• Love 1

I'm disappointed.  The writing is just so weak.  When Dylan's father showed up and was talking to him, I immediately knew he was Dylan's father.  And the episode revolved around killer's father/son relationship and Dylan's father/son relationship, too obvious.    Then there was Dylan making a giant flying leap,  and magically knowing that the cases were related, and then knowing the entire solution, who and how and why, etc.

And what was that last scene with the wedding dress?  The dress was delivered, what, a year before?  And she still has it?  The bride who ordered it and got hers instead never called the store and said, You sent me the wrong dress, where is mine?

I like Alan Cummings, but he doesn't seem to have his usual spark here.  Perhaps he is disappointed as well.

No doubt I have left some things out, but it is late. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Alan Cummings gets paid whether we like the episodes or not. Sometimes you have to make hard choices. Like the movie screen glut, there are 100 broadcast stations and over 1000 cable and internet channels -- that much content, quality or schlock, is hard to come by, many spaces to fill.

Tragic, a parent takes his own life on his birthday. Just like in the Michael Douglas movie, "The Game."

Edited by Bobbin
correction

I, too, am disappointed with how things turned out with the series. It's not the worst series where I can't stand watching it, but there's no real spark within it. It's a show where I probably won't continue to watch live. I like Alan Cumming and I like Bojana Novakovic in their roles, but the premise of the show is very weak and very bland. I appreciate Alan's decision to take on the role so he could play a lead gay character, but there needs to be more. Unfortunately, the cases are also very flimsy, at best. 

• Love 6

I forgot to watch this last night and I don't think I'll bother watching any more episodes. It is just too badly written and, for the most part, badly acted,  although the two leads are good.

I agree with others who have said the pilot was the best episode and it's been downhill from there.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I appreciate Alan's decision to take on the role so he could play a lead gay character

That's really the only thing I like about the show at this point. I love AC, and I really wanted to love this show, but the writing is SOOOOOOOOOOO bad.

• Love 4

AC is so good, usually. Here he's coming off to me as a stage actor, playing to the back of the house. Somewhat too big in his expressions and mannerisms. I don't think this show sucks but it is just kinda meh. I want it to be better. I will give it some more time as it is blessed with a timeslot where I'm not watching something else.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, thewhiteowl said:

AC is so good, usually. Here he's coming off to me as a stage actor, playing to the back of the house. Somewhat too big in his expressions and mannerisms. I don't think this show sucks but it is just kinda meh. I want it to be better. I will give it some more time as it is blessed with a timeslot where I'm not watching something else.

My thoughts exactly.  AC's facial expressions and physical reactions are too exaggerated, "stagey" on this show  IMO. I don't remember thinking this *ever* when he was on The Good Wife. 

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 2

I'm wondering if it's the writing that's bad, (well yes it is) but more that the writers are unimaginative?  I pegged the horse guy and the father immediately.  How many times have we seen that before?  They need to give up the idea of being sneaky or get better writers.  Those "surprises" haven't been new in ten years at least.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, treasaigh said:

They need to give up the idea of being sneaky or get better writers.  Those "surprises" haven't been new in ten years at least.

To be fair, Elementary and all other CBS procedurals are living on this pattern of being predictable for many, many years.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, CooperTV said:

To be fair, Elementary and all other CBS procedurals are living on this pattern of being predictable for many, many years.

Yes, but most of the time they make this predictable whodunnit formula work with either a "twist" (such as a believable red herring or an unforeseen motive) or there is a more interesting B plot for which the crime formula is background (civil rights issue, psychological implications, main character development, etc.).

Maybe this show's writers are just taking their time introducing the characters, but that plagiarized episode has really left me outside of my usual bubble of suspended disbelief while watching. I'm not hate watching; it's more like suspicious watching. Each time I watch it's with: This may be the last time. Almost like with an emotionally abusive friend.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3

Okay, I am through. I really tried to love this show because I adore Alan, but you all are right, he is actually miscast in this. Plus they just make "light" of way too many things. This show sucks. The writing is horrible.  Off with you from my DVR. 

• Love 2
On 4/8/2018 at 6:21 PM, MerBearHou said:

I’m a fan of Alan’s — just not in this role.

Too bad Alan's fans can't get together and watch this in groups.  It could become a cult favorite with props and backtalk a la Rocky Horror Picture Show Nice Coat, Lizzie!   Dylan, lose the tie.

• Love 7

I like the partnership between the leads - engaged & supportive with a touch of snark - and the actors have good chemistry. The writing, even not including the plagiarism, has really become unimaginative.  From the telegraphed that's Dylan's Dad! & horse cab driver did it! to every clue imaginable laid out in Kyle's apartment. And only Dylan thought to scope out the roof of a building so close to the bombing target? I'm hoping this show doesn't turn into Dylan & Lizzie save the world NYC every week. 

I'm happy that Lizzie is moving on, but we didn't have to be hit over the head with the wedding drama (as much as I enjoyed seeing the Lt's beautiful dress - except for the sheer sleeves), and the payoff at the end fell really flat. Just show us, even if it is just a mention here & there of a date or 2 and if it goes anywhere & the show runners want to add a boyfriend to the cast, then do it. And speaking of being hit over the head - the father/son issues. Oy!

Andy & Dylan have no chemistry, and Andy's facial hair annoys me. 

But yeah, still DVR'ing..lol The Alan Cumming love is strong, and I love Lizzie's wardrobe!

• Love 2

I'm sure the MML house will continue to watch this show regardless.

But I feel like episodes three and four are very different from the first two (I could be wrong and often am, but to me it seems like the producers ran the pilot past focus groups to tweak the show). The intro now spells everything out re Dylan's CIA background, and Lizzie looks like she is dressing differently. I also noticed the credit to James Patterson for the first time--I enjoy audio books of his for car rides but (my take on him) I don't think of his work as being particularly cerebral, and Cumming's character seems to me to supposedly be genius level. The show just seems like it's trying to be more popular or commercial.

I loved so much of Lizzie's scenes where she realized her boss/friend was excluding her from the wedding and how she reconciled that (although I find the boss to be unbelievable as a boss, and that wedding dress was not exactly flattering). And the relationship of Dylan and Andy strikes me as true and natural. 

Edited by MakeMeLaugh
  • Love 2
On Wednesday, April 11, 2018 at 4:42 AM, CooperTV said:

Elementary is great honestly, though season five was arguably weaker than the first four. Cases are usually investing and complex enough that you often don't see the twist coming until the end, even though it seems predictable in retrospect. Watch episodes such as 1x3 "Child Predator", 1x10 "The Leviathan", 1x17 "Possibility Two", 1x23 "The Woman", 1x24 "Heroine", 2x8 "Blood is Thicker", 2x12 "Diabolical Kind", 2x18 "Hound of the Cancer Cells", 3x4 "Bella" and 4x7 "Miss Taken", those are some pretty good mysteries with the done-before twist, so to say.

1 hour ago, Mislav said:

Elementary is great honestly, though season five was arguably weaker than the first four.

I've watched the first two seasons of Elementary, and that was enough for me. I hated season 2, and I hated Joan's non-character non-development and season 2 in general. So I quit and never, ever looked back.

On Wednesday, May 09, 2018 at 9:42 PM, CooperTV said:

I've watched the first two seasons of Elementary, and that was enough for me. I hated season 2, and I hated Joan's non-character non-development and season 2 in general. So I quit and never, ever looked back.

Your loss.

• Love 1