Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Speculation: Clink Boom and Cheese Fondue

• Start Topic

Um, according to TV Guide, JT is playing Steve Hardy, BH is playing Jessie, and RyCa is playing Phil in the anniversary episode. 

So....yeah. 

Uh...whaaaa? Huh. Weird. This could be a cute homage or a train wreck of epic proportions. Anyone wanna take bets?

Sure, it is. But recreating beloved past characters can take it to a whole new level! Remember Kirsten Storms as a living BJ Jones? There you go.

Call me optimistic, but I think this will be better than that ridiculousness. At least, the hair will. 

Hold up...is the flashback scene at the hospital supposed to tie into the Fluke reveal?

I don't think so. But  actually maybe? I guess if we flashback to Luke's childhood it very well could be. That's kinda clever. I'm afraid of what this secret's gonna be though.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 1

I don't think so. But  actually maybe? I guess if we flashback to Luke's childhood it very well could be. That's kinda clever. I'm afraid of what this secret's gonna be though.

Weren't there casting calls a while back for a preteen Luke and little girl Bobbie?

I could see them recreating the original scene and then panning away from that to show something with mini Luke and mini Bobbie.

Weren't there casting calls a while back for a preteen Luke and little girl Bobbie?

I could see them recreating the original scene and then panning away from that to show something with mini Luke and mini Bobbie.

Yeah, there were.

I often have no problem with most of RC and FV's anniversary/history ideas - using Audrey and Rachel Ames for the 50th was a lovely tribute to her and John Beradino, especially when they had the cast and all the extras seemingly spontaneously applaud her at the end of her scene, which kind of broke the fourth wall. I don't know if she knew it was coming but RA seemed genuinely surprised and touched. That sort of stuff is the thing they often can get right when they want to, much like when they pulled out all the stops to see to it John Ingle got one more day on-set, which was his last wish. I'll always remember and appreciate them for that and for the care they showed him; the story his family told about it, with the show giving him a standing ovation as he arrived and left and having the cast and crew there to shake his hand, was just wonderful. They also did a very nice tribute to Jessie and Amy Vining at the first Nurses Ball revival in 2013.

Then they do days like killing A.J. off again, trying to spin it as a big positive and then flashing "Happy Anniversary," which was gross. But when they're not being BS artists trying to push a wrongheaded story agenda, they can get a lot right. The flashback to the '60s is one such example for me.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 12
Hold up...is the flashback scene at the hospital supposed to tie into the Fluke reveal?

That first episode featured a disfigured girl, right? So, is that Pat Spencer, disfigured by her abusive father? That's what I'm thinking, if this ties into Luke's DID story.

• Love 2

I don't think it's supposed to be a re-enactment of the first episode, just that that's what they used to study 1960s before the shooting the episode. But I could be wrong.

The thread that was linked her is no longer active, but here's what I found (I think it's the same thing).

From http://boards.soapcentral.com/showthread.php?993440-Per-TV-Guide-April-1st-Vintage-1960-s-GH-episode-with-current-actors! :

General Hospital is getting ready to flip the script. The unstoppable ABC soap opera celebrates it's 52nd anniversary today (APR.1) with a trippy episode that has 3 of it's stars - Jason Thompson, Rebecca Herbst and Ryan Carnes appearing in flashbacks as the iconic medical team that kicked off the show on Apr.1,1963. Thompson will play Steve Hardy, Herbst - Jessie Brewer and Carnes will play Phil Brewer, Jessie's husband. The sequences will be in black and white, the original nurse's station will be recreated and old school lab coats and stethoscopes will be seen. There's a photo of all 3 actors dressed and styled as the characters of that era and another photo of the original actors in those roles.

The trio carefully studied the premiere episode, which centered on a tormented teen, her face disfigured in a car accident and has an eerie tone reminiscent of The Twilight Zone. "It was so much fun getting into such a different style of performance," says Herbst. "Everything was very serious and straightforward back then- almost formal but really cool. And no one was overacting." Carnes states "the whole thing was so delicious and novel, I think I'd prefer to stay in the 1960s."

There's much more to the episode: Head Writer Ron Carlivati finally reveals what caused Luke Spencer to develop a split personality and try to kill off half of Port Charles. Trust us, it's a shocker and not to be missed.​

• Love 2

The disfigured girl from the pilot - Angie Costello - has already appeared since in another anniversary. She was not a Spencer, and she returned for the 30th anniversary in 1993 and met with Steve Hardy again. They ran the pilot with her during the 50th anniversary marathon on SoapNet in 2013. I think both that and the '93 material where she returned are on YT.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 1

Um, according to TV Guide, JT is playing Steve Hardy, BH is playing Jessie, and RyCa is playing Phil in the anniversary episode.

So....yeah.

Not MB, LW and RoHo? I am impressed.

• Love 3

Uh...whaaaa? Huh. Weird. This could be a cute homage or a train wreck of epic proportions. Anyone wanna take bets?

It might actually bring me back to watch.  I totally agree that it could go either way. 

I often have no problem with most of RC and FV's anniversary/history ideas - using Audrey and Rachel Ames for the 50th was a lovely tribute to her and John Beradino, especially when they had the cast and all the extras seemingly spontaneously applaud her at the end of her scene, which kind of broke the fourth wall. I don't know if she knew it was coming but RA seemed genuinely surprised and touched. That sort of stuff is the thing they often can get right when they want to, much like when they pulled out all the stops to see to it John Ingle got one more day on-set, which was his last wish. I'll always remember and appreciate them for that and for the care they showed him; the story his family told about it, with the show giving him a standing ovation as he arrived and left and having the cast and crew there to shake his hand, was just wonderful. They also did a very nice tribute to Jessie and Amy Vining at the first Nurses Ball revival in 2013.

Then they do days like killing A.J. off again, trying to spin it as a big positive and then flashing "Happy Anniversary," which was gross. But when they're not being BS artists trying to push a wrongheaded story agenda, they can get a lot right. The flashback to the '60s is one such example for me.

THIS.  The 50th Anniversary show was amazing and seeing Audrey...it brought tears to my eyes.  And the last Edward episode as well.  Hell, I didn't entirely mind the Sonny/Carly toxic memory lane one last year.  But lumping killing off another Q into it, that was awful.  

So Phil Brewer was apparently a rapist?  Oh Ron.

IIRC, he wasn't a nice guy.  He was a cheater and he very well may have raped or hit Jessie. 

• Love 1

Yeah, I think he did rape someone. It sounds vaguely familiar. And I think they had a lot of cases where what we would now point out as rape they kinda let pass back. Like during the rape revisit storyline they had Audrey and Liz go therapy and some husband of Audrey's had marital raped her but the show never treated it like that but during those scenes they called it rape. Does anyone remember who it was? I forget his name. And there's been the Monica/Alan bedroom scene that we've talked about here and at twop a few times as well.

Rachel Ames is voluntarily retired, right? Because I would love to see a little more of her here and there, she seemed in good shape on the anniversary show. 

Yeah, I think he did rape someone. It sounds vaguely familiar. And I think they had a lot of cases where what we would now point out as rape they kinda let pass back. Like during the rape revisit storyline they had Audrey and Liz go therapy and some husband of Audrey's had marital raped her but the show never treated it like that but during those scenes they called it rape. Does anyone remember who it was? I forget his name. And there's been the Monica/Alan bedroom scene that we've talked about here and at twop a few times as well.

Rachel Ames is voluntarily retired, right? Because I would love to see a little more of her here and there, she seemed in good shape on the anniversary show. 

Audrey was raped by Tom Baldwin Lee's brother.THats how Tom was conceived and steve eventually adopted him.Phil also raped dinae Taylor and i know she had two kids by him that was eventually killed off.

• Love 1

She looked fantastic on the 50th anniversary show. I can't imagine Frank didn't make things as smooth as possible for her, and she's such a pro, so I don't know why she wouldn't appear on special occasions as long as it was an easy day of work. Unless she's truly retired for good. She's earned it, lord knows.

• Love 3
Carnes states "the whole thing was so delicious and novel, I think I'd prefer to stay in the 1960s."

LOL.

I'm excited for this. I suspect I'll love it no matter which way it goes. I loved the other anniversary eps they did and I loved OLTL's 60's revisit.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 4

I actually think JT's hair looks better than usual. He should do that all the time. BH looks great. She was made for period drama costumes.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 3

Phil was, I think, sort of the early heartthrob of the show back when he was played by Roy Thinnes (Sloan on OLTL, and a lot of primetime TV). But he was seemingly always kind of a fuck-up despite the ladies loving him, and eventually he became rapin' scum.

Rachel Ames was supposedly very concerned about being able to learn her lines properly for the anniversary, but she seemed note-perfect. I wish she'd appear more but she may not be interested.

Edited by jsbt

I'm looking forward to it. I think it's going to be a really cool thing, and even though I'm completely unknowledgeable about early GH, or mid GH for that matter, I think they got the casting down pretty well. 

• Love 1

Am I the only one that finds it kinda depressing this is the closet thing will have to a hospital story? I'm kinda suprised there showing phil lol.I only knew about him from reding up on the history of the show.

• Love 2

Other than asshole/rape stuff, didn't Jessie and Phil get some crap early on for being an older woman/younger man couple back when that was seen as unacceptable? 

• Love 1

Other than asshole/rape stuff, didn't Jessie and Phil get some crap early on for being an older woman/younger man couple back when that was seen as unacceptable? 

There was that too.  It was kind of side-eyed back in the day. 

I see that SN is headed back to days guess that means will get stuck with courtney for NB consideing how obessed that they are with the kid that plays spencer.

Stefan is saved from Ron's poison pen!

• Love 1

Days seems to be getting its ducks in a row for its 50th: Not only is Stephen Nichols being smart and staying away from GH and going to Days, but I read Peter Reckell is also returning to Days, too.

GH? Um. RKK plys Stavros the Unfrozen popsicle and once replaced PR on Days. It all circles around, folks!

• Love 3

I love watching moderators Hokey Pokey their way back on topic. Well played, WendyCR72.

I don't know, I'd rather deal with Ron & Uncle Frank than Higley & Corday .

I have faith that Stephen Nichol's GH Stefan and DOOL Steve can vanquish both squads. I'm glad he's going to DOOL right now, though, because his Sweetness is there.

Edited by General Days
  • Love 3

With all due respect, I vehemently disagree that the Idiots in Charge are coddling Kimberly McCullough. Her contract was up in 2012 and she decided to LEAVE/quit  so she could pursue the Directorship program which was for two years. She was willing to come back to tie up Robin's story. I'm sure she didn't know that the fuckwits in charge would keep her a perpetual hostage. That's ALL on Frank and that douchenozzle ratbastardprick fuckwit Ron.

Now, do I wish that Kimberly would just say "No thanks" to them? Yes! A THOUSAND TIMES YES! But Kimberly is fond of the cast and crew and so returns, time and time again, even though her character becomes roadkill, massacred, annihilated....you name it. I think it's totally unfair to blame Kimberly for any of this. It's up to the fucking writers to write around her absence or fucking recast her.  Kimberly herself wanted Robin killed off in 2012, but the new regime nixed that.

Sorry to bring this back up so late, I just got back to the forum.

Well my apologies to KMc. I thought she had a Tony Geary deal. I agree with your assessment of Frank and Ron.

My understanding is that KMc did have a short-term contract from Oct-ish 2013 to Feb-ish 2014. The show needs to get her back under a short-term contrsct and wrap the story up.

Robin can escape from Helena, meet Jake, put the pieces together, reveal Jake is Jason, realize that she and Patrick's marriage is beyond repair and Robin can move to Beecher's Corner and work at the hospital there, being referenced as being with Emma and people seeing her off-screen, and when KMc is available Robin can appear for a day or so at a time.

Edited by Tiger
  • Love 6

The problems with Robin's story have little to nothing to do with KMc's availability. They have to do with Ron not wanting to write an ending for her. If he really wanted to wrap up her story, he could do it in one day. But he doesn't want to wrap up her story. So we're stuck with the ridiculous fallout of everyone basically pretending they aren't concerned with what's going on with Robin.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 16