Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E13: Comic Relief

• Start Topic

I just have to confess - last week, on a chilly morning, I held my coffee mug around the bowl (?) and not by the handle. I kid you not, I looked down and thought "well, now I'm Brandon and Sarah D. Bunting would chastise me for this" and changed my grip.

• Love 6

I just have to confess - last week, on a chilly morning, I held my coffee mug around the bowl (?) and not by the handle. I kid you not, I looked down and thought "well, now I'm Brandon and Sarah D. Bunting would chastise me for this" and changed my grip.

I submit that there's a difference between
the cozy-cup-cuddle one does when one is drinking a hot drink and the douche canoe move of Brandon manpawing the top of a cup.

• Love 5

I know we keep incredulously saying we cannot fathom why Emma was hot for Brandon from the jump, but I am really trying to figure it out what the writers were thinking (maybe that's my first mistake).  If Emma knew he was in a relationship and got off on breaking folks up or thought he was a challenge, then I could buy it.  But she presumes he's single when they meet and she's hitting on him hard.  Then we see nothing about her other than outward sex appeal and innuendo that would show Brandon being conflicted.  I don't see the spark or connection between them other than she's just throwing herself at him. 

Brandon was always painted as some guy who was a boy scout, really uncomfortable with casual sex, and only slept with women he had serious feelings for.  This whole storyline just seems so out-of-the-blue and out of character after he and Kelly were written to have fought so hard to get back together.  In the real world, Kelly is only 4 months out from being shot and spending a long time in the hospital.  They are only three weeks out from boinking on every available surface.  Was it her haircut that made him limp?  Seriously?

• Love 3
6 hours ago, KateeBar said:

I hold it that way sometimes too though! The handles sometimes hurt, depending on how big they are and how heavy the cup is. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, CicelyAlaska said:

Jason Priestly made an appearance on the new Joel McHale Show. Of course, he looked about as tall as Joel McHale's waist.

Yeah, I have to give credit to 90210 for not making Priestly look as tiny as he is. Ian and BAG are both 6" taller than him, and he generally doesn't look that much shorter than them. 

But next to 6'4" McHale? Comedy gold. 

• Love 1

He consistently looks far shorter than Ian to me.

there's a difference between
the cozy-cup-cuddle one does when one is drinking a hot drink and the douche canoe move

It's that he does it EVERY TIME. And so did Dylan. Like using the handle is unmanly or something. I get that certain mugs/cups have awk handles, fine, but with Brandon it's straight-up affectation. 

• Love 3

Has anyone involved with this show ever been to New York City? I would think that industry professionals would have at least visited there once for work. No one casually goes 50 miles per hour down 5th Avenue, that is not even possible, not even in 1997.  I am so offended that they think those of us still watching their shitty show is that naive. Lol Richard Belzer reference.

• Love 3

OMG Timbits! Are you serious that Jason Priestly came up with his own flavor? What was it? We just got a Tim Horton's, it's the only one in Minnesota besides the one at the Mall of America, and it's on my street! Timbits have captivated us.

Just like New York-- has anyone working on this show ever been to Los Angeles? There is no way they could have driven around and visited all of those things in the time allotted. I continue to be offended, as I did not just fall off the proverbial turnip truck. 

Edited to add-- thank you for the Timbit update, I have a smidgeon of respect for Priestly now. Canada is really charming that way.

Edited again because I just found out several other Tim Horton's have opened in Minnesota since the one on my street.

Edited by ZeroDiscipline
answered a question
  • Love 2

Can we discuss the 90s-ness of Brandon’s charcoal dress shirt? I guess in very early ‘00s one of my friends got his series 7 and went to work in finance, and he would complain about how he couldn’t wear a dark-colored dress shirt at work even though there was no dealing with customers. And I was like- welll...yeah, they don’t want you looking like a bunch of capos. Obviously journalism is a more casual environment, but Brandon’s outfit is annoying me way more than it should- like be business or be casual. Also LA is warm and sunny, so he should be burning up in all that dark clothing.

• Love 2
On 3/13/2018 at 12:46 PM, TeeVee329 said:

Was I the only one waiting for a...

"Can I have your attention please?"

"DUH NUH NUH NUH DUH NUH NUH NUH!"

That has fast become my favourite running joke.

• Love 3

That has fast become my favourite running joke.

I really do love it. 

I now look forward to the later Season 9 or 10(!) revelation regarding Samantha.

"Steve, I'm a ____________"

DUH NUH NUH NUH 

DUH NUH NUH NUH NUH

• Love 4

I'm always freezing my ass off in the office and I am pulling a total Brandon by holding my cup by the body and not the handle.  I need warmth!  I also want to give an early shout out to my birthday twin @Sarah D. Bunting. Maybe Thursday I will make an effort to hold my cup correctly. 

• Love 1

What I don’t understand about the Noah/Val/Donna/David thing- Noah 150% told Val they were NOT a couple, and it was just a fun time blah blah. So why was he all bum fuck hurt that she went on dates with Cooper? While Donna throwing David out was her shining moment of self esteem- NOAH?!!! She moved onto NOAH?!! Like why. Does anyone remember why Noah and Donna broke up for the final time? Was it when Noah raped Val (after she was drugged by his brother)?

On 1/6/2019 at 10:32 AM, Scarlett45 said:

What I don’t understand about the Noah/Val/Donna/David thing- Noah 150% told Val they were NOT a couple, and it was just a fun time blah blah. So why was he all bum fuck hurt that she went on dates with Cooper? While Donna throwing David out was her shining moment of self esteem- NOAH?!!! She moved onto NOAH?!! Like why. Does anyone remember why Noah and Donna broke up for the final time? Was it when Noah raped Val (after she was drugged by his brother)?

Nope. They broke up for good because she found out he lied to her about going to college or something like that.

On 3/12/2018 at 5:06 PM, Earmuffs Mom said:

I know we keep incredulously saying we cannot fathom why Emma was hot for Brandon from the jump, but I am really trying to figure it out what the writers were thinking (maybe that's my first mistake).  If Emma knew he was in a relationship and got off on breaking folks up or thought he was a challenge, then I could buy it.  But she presumes he's single when they meet and she's hitting on him hard.  Then we see nothing about her other than outward sex appeal and innuendo that would show Brandon being conflicted.  I don't see the spark or connection between them other than she's just throwing herself at him.

I feel like this is pretty typical for Brandon though. He exhibits zero personality outside of Perpetually Cranky Father, and yet pretty much every woman he's ever interacted with has thrown herself at him. Kelly, Valerie, Ginger, Tracy, Emma, Emily, Clare, Nikki...the list goes on. The only two who didn't really were Susan and Lucinda. Although with Susan, his "charm" eventually wore her down to the point where she couldn't resist any longer (excuse me while my eyes roll into the back of my head), and Lucinda basically hated him the whole time (justifiably), but was framed as a selfish maneater who didn't deserve upstanding, innocent Brandon. So neither are great examples.

Honestly I know the writers made some big mistakes throughout this series, but for me, one of the most egregious was trying to sell Brandon Walsh as the paragon of irresistible masculine sexuality. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, GrahamV said:

I feel like this is pretty typical for Brandon though. He exhibits zero personality outside of Perpetually Cranky Father, and yet pretty much every woman he's ever interacted with has thrown herself at him. Kelly, Valerie, Ginger, Tracy, Emma, Emily, Clare, Nikki...the list goes on. The only two who didn't really were Susan and Lucinda. Although with Susan, his "charm" eventually wore her down to the point where she couldn't resist any longer (excuse me while my eyes roll into the back of my head), and Lucinda basically hated him the whole time (justifiably), but was framed as a selfish maneater who didn't deserve upstanding, innocent Brandon. So neither are great examples.

Honestly I know the writers made some big mistakes throughout this series, but for me, one of the most egregious was trying to sell Brandon Walsh as the paragon of irresistible masculine sexuality. 

Don't forget about Ohhhndrea!

1 hour ago, GrahamV said:

I feel like this is pretty typical for Brandon though. He exhibits zero personality outside of Perpetually Cranky Father, and yet pretty much every woman he's ever interacted with has thrown herself at him. Kelly, Valerie, Ginger, Tracy, Emma, Emily, Clare, Nikki...the list goes on. The only two who didn't really were Susan and Lucinda.

2 minutes ago, meggonzo said:

Don't forget about Ohhhndrea!

Or Carla, and the ice skater, and the Senior Single Mom, his ex, the racist from the beach club...

Brandon, his looks, and his personality got worse over time.. but in his early days on the show (mainly seasons 1-5) he was a fox in my opinion. So I can see why girls would be attracted to him, especially because he was technically a nice guy and once in a while he had a sense of humor.. But as the series went on, he got pretty unbearable. He was always talking down to people and judging them for everything (though I thought Kelly was worse in that department).

As for Valerie, I think she only wanted him because she hated Kelly and wanted to piss her off. He was also unattainable to her and we know that's how Val likes it (Ray as an example).

Ginger wasn't into him.. she was just playing a game.

Kelly jumped on anyone who wasn't available. Once they became available, she became a bitch.

And Emma just made no sense and just seemed evil and horny.

• Love 3