Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E16: Wine Weekend

Haley turns out to be a better detective than Manny.

Mitchell and Gloria's storyline was cute and Phil and Cam's dance routine was funny. I liked how Stella latched on to Phil's bear slipper. Why is he wearing slippers out of the house?

Claire doesn't usually dress so poorly, so I have no idea where that storyline came from.

Why was Manny there? None of the other kids were except for Hailey who wasn't actually staying there.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, AEMom said:

Why was Manny there? None of the other kids were except for Hailey who wasn't actually staying there.

Designated driver.

1 hour ago, AEMom said:

Claire doesn't usually dress so poorly, so I have no idea where that storyline came from.

There was an episode years ago where it turned out she was wearing Luke's clothes.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse

Claire doesn't usually dress so poorly, so I have no idea where that storyline came from

Claire was dressed to dig a hole in the middle of the night to bury bear slippers. Her attire was appropriate for the job.

• Love 13
37 minutes ago, kili said:

Claire was dressed to dig a hole in the middle of the night to bury bear slippers. Her attire was appropriate for the job.

Absolutely true.  But the conversation made it sound like it was a regular thing that she dresses that way.

• Love 4

Normally their annual farce episode is funny...this time, not so much. Falls well below the Vegas episode and many of the others.

Doesn't Haley have any friends she could bring? Have we ever really seen her with friends other than Dylan?

• Love 5

As soon as Haley told the family not to touch the tiara, not only did I know everyone would touch it and that it would be broken, I also knew Haley did it prior to the clan arriving at the house.

Things I did like...Phil and Cam dancing, that Oprah stole Michelle Obama’s candy dish and passed it off as hers (M.O. or O. W.???) Either lady could get way with absconding with a lot of loot from the other person’s houses!

Manny the character and the young actor playing him have run their course.  I don’t find either of them funny or entertaining any more. 

• Love 10

Overall I enjoyed this episode.  I enjoyed the pairings.  However, Manny continues to bother me and be a completely self-involved character.  Who goes to a beautiful home with his parents and then tries to claim the master bedroom (not only were his parents there, but two other married couples-I just emphasized Jay and Gloria because they are, you know, his parents...).  The show's creators did a real disservice to this character by starting him out at such a "mature" level, because the only direction they had to go from there was to make him immature and clueless.

Loved Phil and Cam's dancing segments and laughed at the Oprah sequences.  In my opinion it has always been the adults who have carried this show and the limited use of children in this episode (Manny and Haley) suited me just fine.

Oh, and always love Stella...

• Love 13
16 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

Overall I enjoyed this episode.  I enjoyed the pairings.  However, Manny continues to bother me and be a completely self-involved character.  Who goes to a beautiful home with his parents and then tries to claim the master bedroom (not only were his parents there, but two other married couples-I just emphasized Jay and Gloria because they are, you know, his parents...).  The show's creators did a real disservice to this character by starting him out at such a "mature" level, because the only direction they had to go from there was to make him immature and clueless.

Loved Phil and Cam's dancing segments and laughed at the Oprah sequences.  In my opinion it has always been the adults who have carried this show and the limited use of children in this episode (Manny and Haley) suited me just fine.

Oh, and always love Stella...

In complete agreement. I did like for once that Haily was smart enough to pull everything off. Of course, when you have something like a tiara that plain in view, it's just asking for someone to pick it up. Especially in wine country. However, I agree, does Haily have any friends? I mean actual friends, not the flashback of high school partying, that's just a bunch of former HS who got together at parties while parents were out and had fun. I mean, REAL friends. Because no, she does not. I also agree, Manny has not only ran his course, but now he is just an idiot. He is still seeking his family to "love" what he does, when really. They don't, they have showed it, time and time again, Gloria has even admitted she has moved on and yet, here he goes still going: "But you like me right?" Manny needs to get over himself, critics telling him he sucked in the lead role of a play. Can see that and having that hurt Manny's ego, but really. He still has yet to buy a clue, just like Mitch and Cam's spending money on something expensive and it backfires on them. They should seriously not being doing that and where is Lily again? Least Luke and Alex good excuses with school and work. Plus they are over 19 now. 

Happy Haily has a good job now, but she is setting herself up for failure again. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, AEMom said:

Haley turns out to be a better detective than Manny.

Mitchell and Gloria's storyline was cute and Phil and Cam's dance routine was funny. I liked how Stella latched on to Phil's bear slipper. Why is he wearing slippers out of the house?

There have been a few references at least over the years to Claire not being into to designer labels and clothes

I think there was one where she and Gloria went wedding dress shopping with Lilly and she mentioned she was never into wedding dresses?  I may be remembering it wrong

Then there is one where they are collecting clothes for a charity drive and the thrown out plaid shirt in the box matches the one she is wearing. 

Plus she grew up more of a tom boy it seems, the "son" that Jay never had in Mitch

• Love 5
1 hour ago, AriAu said:

Doesn't Haley have any friends she could bring? Have we ever really seen her with friends other than Dylan?

Hailey was working not wine tasting so it wouldn't make sense for her to bring friends.

As for Claire it was also what she was wearing to bed, so in addition to the other instances mentioned, so it didn't seem weird to me.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

I've been watching old episodes from season 2 and 3 and this episode seemed written by someone who has has read character descriptions but has never watched the actual show. Manny is the most obvious but Jay's lines seemed really stilted and didn't work for me at all. I'm sticking to the older episodes. They are letting this show go on way too long and it's a shame.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Soobs said:

I've been watching old episodes from season 2 and 3 and this episode seemed written by someone who has has read character descriptions but has never watched the actual show. Manny is the most obvious but Jay's lines seemed really stilted and didn't work for me at all. I'm sticking to the older episodes. They are letting this show go on way too long and it's a shame.

Yes, basically once all the Dunphy kids and Manny finished high school (so when Luke graduated) they should have ended the show and should have worked towards that goal in the prior seasons

Buts its a cash cow for the network probably, they have huge money to make in syndication the longer it goes on, they will squeeze it out for all they can

• Love 1

I honestly thought this was the funniest this show has been since the Vegas episode.

Manny smugly pointing out that the sky is moonless, as he reveals the giant full moon...Pepper's husband being held hostage at Oprah's...Mitch's cut being healed by Oprah's touch...Tibetan creaking doors...I thought all of the plotlines worked, and the whole thing was well-done for a change.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

Yes, basically once all the Dunphy kids and Manny finished high school (so when Luke graduated) they should have ended the show and should have worked towards that goal in the prior seasons

Buts its a cash cow for the network probably, they have huge money to make in syndication the longer it goes on, they will squeeze it out for all they can

Reasons why Grey's is still on, they want to get everything they can out of it. The problem is, they don't know what to do with the characters anymore. I mean after so many years of Phil being a lead real estate agent. Having him basically be kicked out of the business didn't make sense. Especially, when we have seen and know that Phil can get real hands on and forceful when he needs to. While the magic shop made sense, to turn him into a wimp who can even handle a 20 something year old game shop owner who is basically being a bitch was too much. All he have to do is call a cop and go: "She keeps acting like it's a private parking lot she owns, when it's public and I just happen to get up earlier than her." Many has just gotten more and more needy and oblivious instead of being even more mature and level headed. Alex has to be a constant bitch or can't understand how the world work because she is "too smart". Haily is still doing very dumb things when anyone else would have bought a clue by now. Just comes to a point where no one is going anywhere and if they going to hold next year as the final year. They are on their way to being a final season similar to how How I met your Mother, Roseanne and where The Middle currently is. The show is out of steam even if this was one of the funniest episodes this season, but still few and far between. 

• Love 3

One thing that annoyed me is that Gloria is pretty memorable and Ronaldo worked with Pepper on Mitch and Cam's wedding so I find i5 unlikely that they wouldn't have previously met.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4

Wow, Haley pulled an actual fast one! There might be hope for her yet. 

I continue to have the freaking worst vacation envy of the Dumphys. They go to so many cool places and do so many cool things, I would totally put up with their shenanigans if I could tag along. They must be the worst/best people to follow on Instagram. 

I admit the farce wasn't as hilarious as past seasons have been, but the matching hip hops outfits kept cracking me up every time they appeared. And the OW/MO candy holder! And Stella always makes things better.

• Love 5
On 3/22/2018 at 6:55 AM, AriAu said:

Haley's 20something friends wouldn't have the dollars to fix the broken tiara, which is the whole reason she invited the family to Wine Country

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SanDiegoInExile said:

Haley's 20something friends wouldn't have the dollars to fix the broken tiara, which is the whole reason she invited the family to Wine Country

It seemed clear that aleady planned on coming and it wasn't a last minute thing, her boss knew and they had childcare for Joe and Lilly and she had broken it late at night the night before they arrived. Haley didn't invite her friends because she was working. 

Edited by biakbiak

Another ep I stopped watching halfway through. These shows where everyone acts so ridiculous are not enjoyable for me. Going to Oprah's as a life goal was bad enough, but stealing something from her house?  ALL of them traveling on vacation together again? Really? Needing to look more prosperous, or feel more special ... ugh. MF is best when they are dealing with real family events, that mirror real life (graduation, running into an X, careers, etc.)  and then adding their own little quirks and personality as family members. These eps where they all act like cartoon characters are not funny.

• Love 4

I actually liked parts of the episode (Phil and Cam's dancing, Oprah's dress having healing powers, Stella being featured more) but the dead weight (Manny) continue to drag things down. Write off all the "kids". They're just not needed anymore and their endless presence needs more explaining than a simple "They're all away at college/out of town jobs".

• Love 2