Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E17: All Coupled Up

The Otto children experience struggles in their love lives after jumping into the dating world: Oliver is forced to choose between his girlfriend and his friend Cooper, who come from two different worlds; Greg must play the "bad cop parent" to halt the PDA between Taylor and Trip; and Anna-Kat tries to make her relationship with Franklin official without his consent.

I thought it was strange that Taylor would be so blase about PDA in front of her father.  Usually daughters are more reserved that way around their dads just because they know how mortified they can be by it.

I did love how Greg got her back though.  When he told her he was OK with it I thought "he's wussing out", but there was a method to his madness, lol.  That was great!

I was afraid that when Katie got Cooper to be a regular guy around Oliver's girlfriend he would steal her from him.  I'm glad that didn't happen.

The show's attempt to stop insulting Norwalk by calling where Oliver's girlfriend was from "South Brampton" is very transparent to anyone that knows the area.  At least they're trying, but in this case it wouldn't have been an insult to use the real name of the town.   I suppose I can't expect more from a show that can't even get the weather for the time of year right.

• Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

Anna-Kat tries to make her relationship with Franklin official without his consent.

And without his knowledge.

29 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I was afraid that when Katie got Cooper to be a regular guy around Oliver's girlfriend he would steal her from him.  I'm glad that didn't happen.

I'm beginning to wonder if Cooper might be gay. In any case, I hope Katie continues to try to civilize him while being his stand-in mom -- I thought at first he was just playing her ala Eddie Haskell, and was relieved that his opening up to her was on the level, if sad.

Love the bowling alley in the house! One day, when I win the lottery....

Edited by Bobbin
Grammar.
  • Love 4

Here's a moment so small that most people won't notice it, so I want to share it with you all for when it comes back around in re-runs:

At the very end, with Anna Cat's tagline, watch when the B roll for when they show Taylor and Tripp's reaction.  It is a genuine, "Nice Job!" reaction to her getting the line just right.

Like most people, those two actors are very attractive when they have a genuine smile.  I'm glad the producers left that in there.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, TheLastKidPicked said:

Here's a moment so small that most people won't notice it, so I want to share it with you all for when it comes back around in re-runs:

At the very end, with Anna Cat's tagline, watch when the B roll for when they show Taylor and Tripp's reaction.  It is a genuine, "Nice Job!" reaction to her getting the line just right.

Like most people, those two actors are very attractive when they have a genuine smile.  I'm glad the producers left that in there.

An oddity I've noticed:  In the history of sitcoms (situational comedies, lest we forget), the characters themselves rarely laugh or smile. A pity, on both levels.

• Love 1

Franklin was playing with Misty!  Anna-Kat had another Bryer horse...I thought at first it was Lady Phase, but Lady Phase did not have her fore-leg up like that, so I guess it was just the Arabian mare, but Misty is unmistakable.  Sorry for nerding out like this, but I collected those horses obsessively for years when I was a kid, and I didn't realize they still made them.  Misty was my favorite, and I still have her.  After we moved to SE Virginia, I was thrilled to find out Chincoteague was only a couple of hours away.  I even went to the pony round-up one year, but it was so crowded it wasn't any fun.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Nessie said:

Franklin was playing with Misty!  Anna-Kat had another Bryer horse...I thought at first it was Lady Phase, but Lady Phase did not have her fore-leg up like that, so I guess it was just the Arabian mare, but Misty is unmistakable.  Sorry for nerding out like this, but I collected those horses obsessively for years when I was a kid, and I didn't realize they still made them.  Misty was my favorite, and I still have her.  After we moved to SE Virginia, I was thrilled to find out Chincoteague was only a couple of hours away.  I even went to the pony round-up one year, but it was so crowded it wasn't any fun.

I've seen Bryer horses in Tractor Supply, of all places.  You never know what you're going to find in Tractor Supply.

Cooper and Katie bonding was a sweet moment.

• Love 3

I always enjoy the Katie and Cooper bonding scenes, and I laughed when Katie threw Cooper's messenger back out of the house, and Cooper's response was that it was awesome to age it up a bit so he doesn't look like new money.  Before she dies, Katie is going to make him sad... keep trying Katie! 

I thought the Anna-Kat and Franklin scenes were pretty funny too.  Franklin can be so obtuse. "What class is this?"  Haha.

Was anyone else disappointed to see the fully grown pig is still living in the house and even lying on the sofa?  Sorry, but that grosses me out... although it's not as bad as a previous episode when the pig was in Oliver's bed, under the covers.  Yuck.

• Love 2

I love Cooper! I feel bad for him growing up by himself but I love how he's totally accepting that Oliver and his family live differently and doesn't judge them at all for that, and is really eager to hang out with them and even learn from them :) 

But maybe that's because it feels so true. I've met kids from extremely well-off families who were so eager to spend time with their friends' parents, because they craved the interactions they didn't have at home.  

• Love 8
(edited)

PDA in front of dad. Yikes. I guess I am old. His hands were around her chest. The shit would have hit the fan in my house. However,, bring in the house is safer than being in the car. MAybe there is a den or some other not bedroom, room? I am over thinking this, clearly.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 3

I don't like when the older daughter speaks so disrespectfully to her parents and it's seems ok with them. These two need to do some real parenting there, IMO. They deserve respect and their children don't respect them...not a good example to show on Tv...just my opinion.

I was touched a bit to see the rich friend, who really is growing up alone. This show could get some good mileage from this. The mom should realize that her presence in Connecticut could do some real good for this boy. I hope they explore this storyline a bit more. I am growing tired of the 'Westport is bad' opinion here. The mom needs to 'sweeten up' a bit and the dad needs to be more of a leader in the family. He doesn't get much respect from anyone and I don't think that's funny. He's a good man all around and should be 'rewarded' for it on the show.

I also don't seen the reason for Hans Gruber to be there. He's a farm animal, and doesn't belong in a home. (Nothing against the big guy, but you know.)

• Love 2

I really like the Katie-Cooper dynamic because he is so so so sad. However, I thought this episode was a bit tone deaf toward previous episodes because I thought it was already pretty well established that Katie knows how Cooper clearly craves discipline. I can see how she'd be wary around him in general or just thinking he's manipulative but the light-bulb for her here was a little bit too much of a light bulb. She already realized he sincerely is looking for some kind of parental attention. So it was a weird backstep for her to have to realize it again. I think the scene with her telling him Oliver's not here so he can't hang out was written oddly. The bulk of the plot could've worked anyway without them seeming to forget that she already knows by now what Cooper's deal is.

• Love 5
On 3/9/2018 at 1:13 PM, AnnaRose said:

I always enjoy the Katie and Cooper bonding scenes, and I laughed when Katie threw Cooper's messenger back out of the house, and Cooper's response was that it was awesome to age it up a bit so he doesn't look like new money.  Before she dies, Katie is going to make him sad... keep trying Katie! 

I thought the Anna-Kat and Franklin scenes were pretty funny too.  Franklin can be so obtuse. "What class is this?"  Haha.

Was anyone else disappointed to see the fully grown pig is still living in the house and even lying on the sofa?  Sorry, but that grosses me out... although it's not as bad as a previous episode when the pig was in Oliver's bed, under the covers.  Yuck.

not disappointed to see the pig living in the house. although it is getting mighty big. under the covers though, yeah, hmm. that's reserved for cats only!  

i hope it has access to the yard. pigs are incredibly smart. so intelligent and some make good pets , hence, i don't eat pork myself. i am afraid they are going to get a "farm animal" complaint from one of the neighbors soon. so either they will be able to keep it in and outside or move it to a farm sanctuary.

• Love 2
On 3/8/2018 at 1:23 AM, Yeah No said:

I thought it was strange that Taylor would be so blase about PDA in front of her father.  Usually daughters are more reserved that way around their dads just because they know how mortified they can be by it.

I'm 37 and wouldn't dare have PDAs in front of my dad....

On 3/11/2018 at 7:55 AM, floridamom said:

I don't like when the older daughter speaks so disrespectfully to her parents and it's seems ok with them. These two need to do some real parenting there, IMO. They deserve respect and their children don't respect them...not a good example to show on Tv...just my opinion.

Just like how Anna Kat has now several times addressed her father as Greg...to no comment from her parents. I get that the show likely thinks it's funny. Maybe once, sure; but repeatedly? It just seems like the kid has no boundaries.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

I'm 37 and wouldn't dare have PDAs in front of my dad....

Just like how Anna Kat has now several times addressed her father as Greg...to no comment from her parents. I get that the show likely thinks it's funny. Maybe once, sure; but repeatedly? It just seems like the kid has no boundaries.

Neither does Katie. She speaks bluntly to Greg in front of the kids and can be pretty nasty, in my opinion, to the kids themselves.

14 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Didn’t know where to post this I didn’t see a general forum however is Oliver supposed to be acting like a young Patrick Batman from American psycho? 

Some days yes, some days no and other days, I wish he buy a clue about high society and trying to be a capitalist when he can't drive yet. 

On 3/18/2018 at 9:25 PM, SnarkySheep said:

My dad would have lost his head if I'd called him Dave but my mom doesn't care what we call her.  She's a good mom.  But she doesn't see how being defined as such is part of what makes her a good mom.   We don't call people on my mom's side Aunt or Uncle, either...I know my nephews love and respect me.  It's fine.