Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E09: Infiniti & Dave

Tara Ariano

(edited)

-Max's turn for a single cupcake. Chain restaurant I've literally never heard of despite being in the NY state. Nev, stop bragging about rhythm you don't have.

-New York City. Expensive area. Too expensive for the Nev family to fly into this time. :D A season first and a twist worthy of those glitchy screen effects they love using.

-Yeah Infiniti, he doesn't sound like other guys at all! He cares about saying good morning and good night! A pic of your V is a small exchange for that. 3deep5me. 

-"I would love to be wrong, but I'm not". More often than not, the shady people contact Catfish, and the non-shady people want nothing to do with you shoving cameras up their ass.

-Pervert alert. The evidence so far is a few lame and creepy memes and a single FB message that might be out of context. Throw the book at him!

-"Okay, Whatever." Me when we take these "character development detours" to places irrelevant to the case. Is Laura jealous Nev's doing ballet with another woman and watching her twerk?

-Macksimum mislead. Whenever they demonize the person with loads of defamation before they even meet, you know Nev and Max are just pretending to think it's that extreme. It's also strange because by now, Nev and Max spend so much time hyping up a different outcome, that they always look like they are proven wrong in-person. That should harm the audience's view of them as the best at what they do. Lol. (and what they do is sit and wait around for someone to unmask themselves. Every episode of Catfish is someone unmasking themselves, not Nev and Max doing as good of work as the Scooby gang).

-So let me get this straight, he went from secret admirer to blocking her? giphy.gif

-Took the fall? Knew we had too much time left. Those anonymous tips would never really happen though. In real life that take the fall tactic would easily outsmart Nev.

-"She gave my number to a boy. Just a prank war, yo! I think we should laugh about it." Super jelly. Maybe there are lesbian undertones. Copping hugs.

-Free apology vacation. Maybe they found a better place to eat than Ruth's Chris.

Edited by AfterwardsTV
  • Love 3

Nev and Max love to pretend like they think it might be some older perv or an incarcerated person every time, and it's tedious to watch since obviously anyone in either category is NOT signing on to do this show.

• Love 8

I was jealous of these teenagers being able to jet off to Miami for a vacation. Also, one of the weirder Air BnB locations they've had -- unless it was really just her grandma's house in Queens (because it looked like every grandma's house in Queens). Not only wasn't it the apartment she skyped from, but it sure as hell wasn't Manhattan (where she said she lived) since, you know, a little yard and front gate. Weird that they wouldn't even try to make it look mildly credible.

• Love 4

So what was up with Nelly using all the different phones to text Infiniti as Dave?   And the phone number that was linked to the Macksimo page, was that all faked by Nelly or production?

Why did I think it was all faked by Infiniti and Nelly so Infiniti could show her dancing on tv?  Maybe all 3 of them (Infiniti, Nelly, and Ray) all thought it'd be fun to be on tv.

If Infiniti was catfished, I bet it happens again to her.  Girl was not too bright.

Nev and Max are the worst sleuths ever.  

• Love 8
8 hours ago, AfterwardsTV said:

Max's turn for a single cupcake. Chain restaurant I've literally never heard of despite being in the NY state.

That may say something about what Max watches on TV. Even though Ruth's web site says they're an international chain with restaurants all over the U.S., I know them as a sponsor of TV game shows. For a while, I think they even got a prominent mention by Jerry Springer on Baggage because it's where they were sending couples for dates.

Ruth's Chris is a pretty well-known chain in most medium to large cities and suburbs. There's one across the street from where I work in Manhattan and it's one of those "comforting" chains near Times Square for tourists. Max has lived in LA and NYC (and traveled to a jillion other cities for this silly show), it'd be weird if he (and Nev) DIDN'T know it's a major chain. Less shocking that a 19-year-old who's lived on the same island her whole life wouldn't realize that, though. I did have to laugh out loud at dim Infiniti not getting the Chipotle joke, however. Wow.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, gesundheit said:

Ruth's Chris is a pretty well-known chain in most medium to large cities and suburbs. There's one across the street from where I work in Manhattan and it's one of those "comforting" chains near Times Square for tourists. Max has lived in LA and NYC (and traveled to a jillion other cities for this silly show), it'd be weird if he (and Nev) DIDN'T know it's a major chain. Less shocking that a 19-year-old who's lived on the same island her whole life wouldn't realize that, though. I did have to laugh out loud at dim Infiniti not getting the Chipotle joke, however. Wow.

I FELL OUT. "Chipotle is great, you've never had Chipotle?" GIRL. Infiniti definitely came across as ... dim.

Whatever was going on between the friends really was juvenile - "You gave a boy my number!" But they were also only 19. High school was last year.

• Love 7
(edited)

That was just...weird. She's been dancing since she was 8? And those moves with Nev were the best film they got? yikes.

Her big smile was pretty amazing. Transformed her entire face.

The Macksimo pic looked like a production assistant they persuaded to consent to be the "creeper." So fake. Fakiest fake. I didn't appreciate how they never showed asking purple hair about how Macksimo's phone number connected into her play.

Overall, I left with the impression that these two girls were angling to get their own reality show. 

It was very nice to get a reprieve from Mrs. Nev.   

Ooooh, unintentional rhyme. Sweet.

Edited by guilfoyleatpp
  • Love 2

I came here hoping (knowing) the recap would be more entertaining than the episode, and I was right. There seemed to be too much information missing for this to make sense, and they should all feel embarrassed when they see this show in reruns (including Max and Nev).

• Love 2

[Infiniti] also offers the phone numbers for Nelly and Nay, two of her friends who know the situation and that she's going to be on the show, and since they basically have nothing else to go on, Nev just goes ahead and calls Nelly first. Why? What could she know about any of this? If Infiniti's never met Dave, then surely neither has Nelly! I guess they have to fill the long, long, really excessively long hour somehow

That’s because The Intro of The Random Friend in the original evidence gathering scene is the Catfish version of Chekhov’s gun: if we meet or hear about a seemingly uninvolved friend in the first act, said friend must return as the Real Catfish in the third.

(The real question, then, is whether this will hold true as a season arc, with the random appearances of Nev’s Girlfriend paying off with a finale of her being revealed to be using catfishing Nev for her own 15-minutes-of-fame-adjacent-uh-ness).

The only real plot twist of this episode? That the name “Infiniti” was that of the catfishee, and presumably real, and not just another example of a so-ludicrous-you-had-to-have-done-it-to-weed-out-anyone-with-a-brain catfisher-created pseudonym.

• Love 1

I finally got around to watching last week's episode, holy hell, how juvenile and childish.  I don't see how these two girls even friends to be honest.  Doesn't seem like a healthy friendship made for the long run. 

Nev and Max truly needs to screen these applicants better before they start filming ?

1 hour ago, BlackMamba said:

Nev and Max truly needs to screen these applicants better before they start filming ?

Oh, I’m beginning to think they do. Then they give them a script, and set it all up so they can both make “oh wowwww!”  faces.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Oh, I’m beginning to think they do. Then they give them a script, and set it all up so they can both make “oh wowwww!”  faces.

Lol yes, Nev's bug eyed "WHAT?" is hilarious. And funny how in some previous seasons, they'd always get hits on the Google image search and now they almost never do.

On 3/1/2018 at 2:50 AM, AfterwardsTV said:

Macksimum mislead. Whenever they demonize the person with loads of defamation before they even meet, you know Nev and Max are just pretending to think it's that extreme. It's also strange because by now, Nev and Max spend so much time hyping up a different outcome, that they always look like they are proven wrong in-person. That should harm the audience's view of them as the best at what they do. Lol. (and what they do is sit and wait around for someone to unmask themselves. Every episode of Catfish is someone unmasking themselves, not Nev and Max doing as good of work as the Scooby gang).

What I wanna know is, how in hell did they get permission to even share that FB page, photo and all?  All I can hope is the guy is serving time or dead or something.  What a horrible person, at least as shown on the page.

• Love 2
On 3/7/2018 at 12:58 AM, Gothish520 said:

Lol yes, Nev's bug eyed "WHAT?" is hilarious. And funny how in some previous seasons, they'd always get hits on the Google image search and now they almost never do.

Nev has practically perfected the look of surprise when there is literally no surprise. And yes, I've noticed that they aren't getting image search results anymore -- have the catfish become better at choosing photos?

21 hours ago, b2H said:

What I wanna know is, how in hell did they get permission to even share that FB page, photo and all?  All I can hope is the guy is serving time or dead or something.  What a horrible person, at least as shown on the page.

If I may share this iconic article for the 500th time: what we see is not what they see; they're dummied up to get around rights/privacy. Also why more recent seasons have shown extremely fakey versions of the Facebook interface.

• Love 2