Type keyword(s) to search

Stargate Origins - General Discussion

• Start Topic

27 minutes ago, Rushmoras said:

What's to anticipate? As far as I know it will be a limited 5-10 min. webisodes about unearthing the StarGates in Giza. I think I'll pass.

Is that length definitive? Because it seems like they're spending quite a chunk of change on casting, filming, etc. If it goes well, maybe there would be more—assuming the short webisode format is the plan—I only saw it mentioned somewhere off-site in passing. Or, maybe they are just going to recycle costumes and special effects, and this is all a marketing ploy to sell subscriptions to Stargate reruns? But then why have a 45-minute comic con panel with actors and producer/writers?

Another prequel???? Brilliant!!! Have not seen the original Kurt Russell movie in years, but was there a flashback sequence showing the Stargate unearthing? Audiences must have been crying out for an extended discovery backstory.....

There was a flashback showing Catherine's (thanks Joe) dad unearthing the gate in 1928.  I can't recall how old she was in the flashback but I think she was a kid.  So the show could be set anywhere in the 30s-40s, depending on the age stuff with her.

I've never seen the director's cut but apparently one of the deleted scenes it reintroduced was a brief shot of some of the Horus guards petrified near the gate.  According the to wikipedia write up, the director wanted to introduce the idea that some had tried to come through after the gate was buried.

Thinking of the film specifically because I know it better than the show, it seems like this prequel series could have something of a bittersweet ending.  We know she doesn't crack the gate stuff until she finds Daniel years later.  But that deleted scene gives me some ideas they could play with if this first short run does well and they decide to do a more conventional season.

Weirdly, the whole thing has me thinking of Amanda Tapping's canceled Sanctuary show.  Go figure.

EDIT: The SG1 wikia for her character.  I don't think her character differs much between film and tv version.  http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Catherine_Langford

Edited by millahnna
Adding a link
  • Love 2
On 11/25/2017 at 11:41 PM, millahnna said:

Weirdly, the whole thing has me thinking of Amanda Tapping's canceled Sanctuary show.  Go figure.

Good thought. If I can't have more Sanctuary I'd love if the same creative team created another series centered around a highly intelligent, open-minded female scientist. I like the way they think. And if I recall correctly, Sanctuary started off as webisodes, too. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, blueray said:

I hope these are as good as Sanctuary. I do feel like there is kind of a limit as we know she doesn't open the gate.

Eh, they could have her go through the gate and have adventures if they quickly include a flashforward to a bit about a "Moebius"-episode-type of time travel situation. I say "quickly" because they wouldn't want fans to get riotous. 

3 hours ago, ganesh said:

Is this only movie continuity or is tv canon included? 

I thought the TV continuity was the movie continuity? Only the TV show did at least one prequel episode. Which lead me to think that this would be about a slave or Jaffa rebellion when I saw the title. 

The TV canon includes the movie, but the movie people don't count the tv canon. I don't get how Catherine would go through the gate at all then because it was Daniel that unlocked it essentially. 

This doesn't look good. Stargate is following a similar trajectory to Star Trek with a prequel that doesn't make sense to the story and appears to exist just to pull people in with the name.

45 minutes ago, ae2 said:

It's really strange to see Connor Trinneer as an elderly professor type. 

i was pleasantly surprised that he looked so good in the role. While there's no logic to my thinking, the fact that they managed to cast an alum of both the Stargate and Trek franchises who still looks good gives me hope for the rest of the production.

• Love 2
On 12/3/2017 at 10:39 AM, ganesh said:

Is this only movie continuity or is tv canon included? 

For the most part, the two continuities are the same.  There are some minor retcons of film stuff in the TV show; most seems to be for ease of writing in a TV medium. And there are some superficial set construction types of differences.  But so far as I know, there's no major continuity differences beyond the galaxy vs. universe thing as far as how far the gate can travel and changing exactly what Ra was (which I didn't see as contradictory myself although mileage varies).  This old thread over on gate world covers most of it (before it disintegrates into a nerd war over what canon means). For whatever it's worth, I haven't read it past the first page. 

https://forum.gateworld.net/threads/60678-Stargate-(1994)-vs-SG-1-Continuity-differences

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I'm not seeing how this show works since we know the gate wasn't used until Daniel Jackson figured it out.

Actually there was one before on the SG-1 in a deep sea diving suit, but he  could not figure a way back home. Then Colonel Carter figured out how to get to other addresses.

Still your general point stands. That is why I saw the title and thought of some of the slaves seized from earth and a goa'uld,/ jaffa story had to be the "origins". Even if SG-1 also touched on them. I just remembered Stargate Universe seemed to be on the track of whoever put in the gate grid in the first place.

Edited by Raja
  • Love 1

I only know of the second gate that they found in Antarctica on SG-1.

After the Egypt gate was buried in the rebellion, I thought that the goa'uld lost the coordinates to earth which is why they never returned until late in the SG-1 run. So whatever happens to Catherine in this series seems problematic to me because I would have thought she would have mentioned everything to Daniel when they met. 

My problem is that you know some canon is going to be trampled on, and I think it's just massively condescending to the creators and actors and everyone else who put in upwards of 300 something hours on SG-1 + Atlantis + Universe of work. Of the near limitless possibilities of what you could do in this universe, this is the best you can come up with? 

6 hours ago, Raja said:

Actually there was one before on the SG-1 in a deep sea diving suit, but he  could not figure a way back home. Then Colonel Carter figured out how to get to other addresses.

The Torment of Tantulas flashes back to 1945 when Ernest Littlefield activated and entered the gate only to be stranded for 50 years.

I haven't paid for the new site, yet. I came here to get the vibe to see if it's worth it or if I'll just leave disappointed.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 2
53 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I haven't paid for the new site, yet. I came here to get the vibe to see if it's worth it or if I'll just leave disappointed.

I registered for the free stuff at command and found on the forums someone who has does puzzles for old SG1 episodes. There's also a lot of fun quizzes and interesting articles on the site, so it's worth swinging by. The registration fee also includes streaming all the SG1 eps so I'm thinking of paying the fee just so I can clear a shelf and get rid of my DVDs.

1 hour ago, ganesh said:
3 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

The Torment of Tantulas flashes back to 1945 when Ernest Littlefield activated and entered the gate only to be stranded for 50 years.

I remember that. Catherine never went through though. 

from http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/The_Torment_of_Tantalus:

In the modern day, 1997, in the Briefing Room of Stargate Command, Dr. Daniel Jackson is busy watching the footage when Colonel Jack O'Neil wanders in, telling Daniel that they've got two days of medical tests to go through.

But both men are left stunned when they discover that the scientists managed to get the Stargate working and they're even more shocked when a man steps through the gate, the wormhole it created collapses, apparently trapping him on whatever planet he was transported to, causing Jack to whisper, "Holy cow" in disbelief while Daniel just stares at the TV, stunned.

Daniel visits Catherine Langford, the daughter of the man in charge of the program back then. She recognizes that the man who went through the gate was Dr. Ernest Littlefield, her then fiancé. Her father had told her that Littlefield died during an explosion in the lab

So, yes, @ganesh, heretofore Catherine Langford has never been known to have gone through the gate.

But my 89-year-old mother does not admit to a lot of things. She didn't even admit to her age until after she was 80. There are a lot of family secrets I would like to ask her about, but she has hidden them so long that she no longer believes they happened. I am open to a similar scenario regarding Catherine's possible gate travel at the time and age that Daniel met her.

Or, Catherine could have not gone through the gate in the timeline of Stargate seasons 1-8.18, but after the events of "Moebius" concluded, not only were there fish in Jack's pond, but Catherine had gone through the gate.

I'm willing to see how they deal with Catherine-gate before I start yelling "Retcon!" 

• Love 3

I'm just rather skeptical that they care enough about tv canon to bother thinking of a credible workaround. They had an easy out with just making this about what happened to Ernest when he went through the gate.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, ganesh said:

This article says the show leans more to Indiana Jones, which is kind of fun. 

Does anyone know specifically who the "they" are that commenter from the article Kirky V refers to here? (https://io9.gizmodo.com/1821480405):

They’ve outright said that they’re making this - which, thanks to the premise and format, can be produced for relatively little money - to help gauge whether there’s enough interest to justify investing in a proper continuation of the franchise.

I assumed the movie TPTBs are the they. 

We've been trying to line up with the tv show, but I don't think they really care. 

It seemed to me from the trailer though that the gate was activated, but people were coming *in* not out. There was never a DHD for the Egypt gate so they can't dial out. 

Maybe Jaffa come through the gate and realize they're back on the Tau'ri homeworld and the whole series is about stopping them from sending out the coordinates. Also Nazis. 

• Love 1

I liked them but I wonder how they're going to explain that they had to wait for Daniel Jackson to figure out how the gate works. Does Catherine forget everything because of a memory wipe? Or will there be some other explanation?

• Love 1

I liked it too. A lot of the viewers seemed upset that they were short and not full length but I'm okay with the format. 

Some kind of memory wipe seems likely though any reasonable explanation is fine with me. 

Adding an afterthought... Catherine was much too modern day feisty for a period piece.  But at this point I'm resigned to it.  I don't think younger writers know any other way.   

• Love 1
8 hours ago, tessaray said:

Catherine was much too modern day feisty for a period piece.  But at this point I'm resigned to it.  I don't think younger writers know any other way.   

First rule of writing historical fiction: heroine must be feisty and not be daunted by the patriarchy. Only villains express views that are misogynistic, racist (don't get me started on the interactions between Beale and Wasif) or homophobic (though the show got on thin ice with the knickers wearing Nazi). Good guys come with a complete set of early 21th century views. 

But this is a show about ancient Egyptian culture being created by an alien race and space-travel by artifacts - so historical accuracy is really not the point. 

The short format makes it hard to judge after only three episodes. It looks like it could be a fun ride once the characters are a bit more developed. 

• Love 7

It's probably just a coincidence, but, to me, Catherine Langford seemed cast (Ellie Gall) to capture the personna of Katherine Heigl as she appeared in Roswell, including the voice. 

2 hours ago, MissLucas said:

First rule of writing historical fiction: heroine must be feisty and not be daunted by the patriarchy.

Sure, but her violence seemed a little over-the-top given her delicate appearance. I mean, there are no super powers to support her displays of strength. It's really not easy to kick a foe in the crotch when he's brawny and you're petite. It would have been more realistic if she had just managed to distract the Nazis with her pluck barely long enough to escape. Sorry. Projecting my own youthful adventures into the story. 

I wish Conner Trineer had a little more screen time. 

The acting and writing were tolerable.

• Love 1

I have watched the first three of the new Stargate Origins, not bad, though I have to wonder why they chose to limit themselves so much.  They could have easily restarted the franchise on a different planet in a different time fram and had complete freedom with where they went with the series rather than constraining themselves to this time between the discovery of the stargate and the SG1.  They could have even started it literally in another galaxy.  That is the beauty of this franchise is that the possible story lines and settings are nearly infinite.  Yet they had to squeeze into that tiny little window and mess up the shows continuity?  I think this shows a lack imagination within the current writers.  I hope Stargate Origins does well enough to get this off the ground and get some better more creative writers and open up a few new Stargate storylines.

And to Beal: where do you get off calling Conner Trineer's character an old man? He's still in his 40s and probably had a little lift recently.

Maybe it's because one of my adult children is a member of the LGBTQ community, but with those physiques and those stylists, "Yes, my queen" took on a whole new meaning for me within the Gate verse.

On February 20, 2018 at 2:16 PM, MountainGuardian said:

…I have to wonder why they chose to limit themselves so much.  They could have easily restarted the franchise on a different planet in a different time fram and had complete freedom with where they went with the series rather than constraining themselves to this time between the discovery of the stargate and the SG1.  They could have even started it literally in another galaxy.  That is the beauty of this franchise is that the possible story lines and settings are nearly infinite.…

@MountainGuardian, you and I seem to have equally wild imaginations. They could still turn this all into a parallel universe. I think that I am going to cling to that possibility. Or maybe this will all get redone during the events of the SG1 "Moebius" episodes.

So we just met Daniel Jackson's future FIL, Kasuf.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

Episodes 6 and 7 are up.  These I actually wish had been full length episodes. I enjoyed the parallel translation scenes a lot.  Also, I think we may have seen how/why Catherine has no memory of these events. That does add some tension to the mix.  

The actor who plays Beal reminds me a little of a young Cary Elwes.  

On March 1, 2018 at 8:23 PM, tessaray said:

I think we may have seen how/why Catherine has no memory of these events. 

Oh! Right! I was just thinking she had one too many tokes—and I was gaging the effects by 1970s grades.