Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E37: Results Show

• Start Topic

(edited)

Knew Jess and Alex were bottom two -- they were the only ones who gave their goodbye speeches at the top of the show.  You know, the "we were so lucky to get this far, I'm so grateful" crap at their last supper.

JLo could not even let Harry have a moment with his frickin' beignets?  Shut up, woman!  It's not all about you!

JLo pretending she gave a crap about Jess on her singout was the worst.  Seriously -- you've been discounting this woman for the last 4-6 weeks, and now I'm supposed to believe her final song is meaningful to you?  Again, Shut up, JLo!  It's not all about you!

And can I say, sartorial choices aside (ugly shirt, Alex!) I hope his hometown stuff is in Milford and not Manchester.  I'm so bringing the kiddos there!

eta:  Difficult to spell properly when one is full of righteous indignation....

Edited by msburg
  • Love 5

I'm done with this season. I wanted Jessica and Alex as the top 2; they're the only people I could imagine buying and listening to an album from, and Jessica is out. I'm getting Alex will be next. I don't mind Caleb and think he is talented but I don't care for his hair band music and I despise warbling Jena. She's my least favorite and yet the judges are constantly kissing up to her. They made it so painfully obvious that Jessica was going home tonight and I don't even want to bother finishing the season because what's the point if the producers' favorite Jena is favored to win?

• Love 5
JLo could not even let Harry have a moment with his frickin' beignets?  Shut up, woman!  It's not all about you!

JLo pretending she gave a crap about Jess on her singout was the worst.  Seriously -- you've been discounting this woman for the last 4-6 weeks, and now I'm supposed to believe her final song is meaningful to you?  Again, Shut up, JLo!  It's not all about you!

This is why I come here to read the results before watching. And then, more often than not, I don't watch because I just don't think I can stand to see the crap.

• Love 4

Seriously, auntlada, if you're an Alex or Jessica fan you will hate this.  Caleb and Jena were not worried at all tonight -- the entire show was edited around the chosen two.

• Love 2

Jessica did not seem at peace with the decision. I think she has seen a lot of favoritism towards the chosen two and it was obvious on her face. She will have a chance though and I bet she has more success than Jena.

• Love 7

JLo could not even let Harry have a moment with his frickin' beignets?  Shut up, woman!  It's not all about you!

I was going to say that I would grab one of Harry's beignets in a hot second but that sounded really lewd - but I do love me some beignets. 

JLo pretending she gave a crap about Jess on her singout was the worst.  Seriously -- you've been discounting this woman for the last 4-6 weeks, and now I'm supposed to believe her final song is meaningful to you?  Again, Shut up, JLo!  It's not all about you!

GET OUT OF MY INDIGNANT HEAD MS BERG!!! I was so pissed pissed pissed that I wanted to smack her.  I did notice that Jessica's final song was really angry (and I think one of her best performances so far). And as much as some of y'all hate Caleb, he did go over and say he loved her when he gave her a hug. 

JENA@#(*& really comes across fake - if she's reading cue cards or memorizing a script (which I imagine they are at some point because they all sound stilted and fake) she better practice a little more. And her whole "I don't realize how many people in my hometown love me because I'm so busy working on my career" statement was very conceited (is anybody around that's old enough to remember that as a diss?)

• Love 4

I sure hope you're right.

I am hoping a lot of my distaste for Jena is due to her lack of maturity which time should remedy.  I  have never bought any Idol's music or followed them after the show so I am not all that invested.

I don't watch every year and I probably won't watch next year unless Harry is back. That's the draw for me.

• Love 2

IDK how much more of this BS I can take. When Jehna said that she was looking forward to going to her,  "hahm tahn" I felt stabby.

(Home town) 

Pass the pencil.

These judges were so happy to see Jess gone that they gave her a standing ovation on her way out the door.

So next week when JEEENA belches and burps out "Ave Maria," JLo will give her a lap dance.

• Love 5

Jessica did not seem at peace with the decision. I think she has seen a lot of favoritism towards the chosen two and it was obvious on her face. She will have a chance though and I bet she has more success than Jena.

I hope so. I hope Jessica and Alex go on to amazing things. I'd love them on my radio. Alex is adorable.

Next time I hope the producers and judges don't make it so embarrassingly obvious that they favor contestants. Way to make Jessica and Alex feel like shit.

• Love 3

These judges were so happy to see Jess gone that they gave her a standing ovation on her way out the door.

So next week when JEEENA belches and burps out "Ave Maria," JLo will give her a lap dance.

Agreed, but, I'll top that. Jehna can come out, take a dump on stage, light the US flag on fire and  then get a three way tongue bath from the judgery while she makes her pouty face..

Poor Alex. He must know he's toast.

• Love 1

No Ari333 don't pencil your neck, I will miss you!

I will go so far as this: I will take Caleb whom I loathe and Alex in the finale if we lose jena. I will push my distaste for him aside if the gods will make this so.

• Love 1
(edited)

There's a handful of times that it must be particularly devastating to be cut.  Not making the Top 13 so no appearances on a performance show, being cut at 11 which means not making the tour, obviously coming in second (although that's arguable as the level of exposure is the same as the winner) and getting cut just before Top 3 and the hometown visits.

Truthfully, those hometown visits may well be the most devotion and special treatment these kids will ever experience.  Most Idol contestants don't hit the big time and become household names.  These visits are their time to shine in their hometown and bask in the honours and the glory.

I feel for Jessica.  She wasn't the most seasoned or animated contestant but she didn't deserve the busing she got week in and week out.  She's got a great voice and hopefully she can parlay the exposure that Idol gave her into something wonderful for her career going forward.  I wish her all the best.

As for the remaining contestants, it's Alex all the way for me.  To my mind he's the most relevant and marketable of those left and he seems to be a pretty decent guy.  Add to that his not suffering from foot in mouth disease is a plus and his being able to enunciate lyrics adds up to a winning combo for me.

Edited by onthebrink03
  • Love 3

I hope so. I hope Jessica and Alex go on to amazing things. I'd love them on my radio. Alex is adorable.

Honestly, let's think about what's current.  Caleb's karaoke hair band stuff?  Nope. Jena's unoriginal arrangements? Nope.  Jessica's countrified songs?  Maybe.  Alex's songwriter vibe?  Totally.  He is the one one who reflects current trends more than any of them.

I am showing a bit of bias, but I truly believe his original from a few weeks back could be relevant on today's charts.

• Love 4
(edited)

For the record, the results were announced in no particular order. They did not announce who the B2 were, we only know Jessica received the lowest amount of votes. Alex was not necessarily the second lowest vote getter. For the second week in a row, it could be possible their pet Jena got the 2nd lowest number of votes but they didn't want to announce that.

I have nothing against Jena but man I am SO effing sick of the obvious pimping of her at every turn. It makes me angry, to be honest. She was the first one announced in the Top 3. She was reviewed first in the recap. The judges fawn over her every chance they get. We get it already, TPTB want Jena to win it at all. Now stop showing obvious favoritism. I feel so sorry for Alex and Jessica. 

Jessica was not my favorite but I was sad to see her go. She looked crushed. You know how when most contestants get voted off, even when they're crying, they're also usually smiling too? Like they are happy just to have made it that far and all that? Jessica didn't look like that. She just looked crushed and devastated. I'm sure she believes the only reason she didn't make Top 3 was because of the judges and producer's manipulations all season long. And the fact they show obvious favoritism towards Jena. Poor Jessica. I'd have personally loved to see a hometown visit to Slapout more than any of the other hometowns. Color me shocked that Caleb actually made it Top 3. Maybe his really hardcore fans rallied last night thinking he'd be gone. 

Oh and the judges were effing despicable while Jessica was singing- they give her a standing O and cheer her on and pretend to look all sad that she was leaving, as if they hadn't been bussing her all season long. Ugh. They are SO fake. 

I hope Jessica shows them all and comes out with a hit song or something while their chosen pet Jena will probably flop on the charts with some horrible drek of a coronation song. Not that I wish horribly on Jena, but it would show the producers not to manipulate the competition so much and show obvious favoritism. I wish the best for Jessica and hope she comes out with something killer to show them all.

Edited by BogoGog24
  • Love 2

On FB there's an overwhelming dislike for Jena and everyone's wondering why she was kept. Like seriously, who voted for her if seemingly no one even wanted her in the top 3? All my votes will be going to Alex because A) He's not Jena and B) He didn't call his fans the R-word (Caleb, I'm looking at you)

• Love 2

That was the most emotion Jessica showed all season, and it still didn't seem like much. She was dry-eyed. I like her voice alright, but her demeanor left me cold....kind of like Crystal Bowersox in her season.

Alex needs to hire a stylist before next week.......there's got to be something they could do, like start with unrolling the stupid capris and make him wear socks. I don't know....have to say his hair and skin look better than at the beginning, but that's about it. I want to liposuction his neck and chin so bad. Oh well, I tried.  He won't win anyway.

Caleb will "WOO" his way to the finale....still think he studied up on Taylor Hicks, Bo Bice , and Adam Lambert, combo-ed the whole thing and here's what we've got. 

JENA (gag) will win this thing....there're going for the next Demi Lovato/Lorde/ Lea Michele or something. This show is big on copy-catting. Get ready for no short vowels except O. Remember : She's in-TEG-ral (read off a cue card, but didn't know the meaning) to this competition. tm JLo

• Love 2

Honestly I don't blame Jena so much but I blame the producers and the judges- it's not Jena's fault that they're showering her with so much praise. For whatever reason they think she should be the winner so they're doing everything possible to ensure it happens but nobody's going along with it. Unfortunately that results in people hating Jena for it even though it's not really her fault. We should be hating the producers. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I'll take Caleb over Jehna any day, but I hope Alex wins now.

If Slapout has any balls (I mean the town) they'll give Jess her day and parade and celebration and throw a party and a big fuck you to TPTB. If I were there, I'd help organize it. Damn. She really got hosed.

So who was actually B2?

Edited by ari333
  • Love 3

No the results were read in random order. Alex did not necessarily have the second lowest number of votes. Would not be surprised if Jena, yet again, was the B2.

I hope Slapout rewards Jessica with a parade or a celebration of some kind anyway. It'd be pretty shitty if they didn't. For a small town like that, that's probably the biggest thing that's ever happened to them.

• Love 1

Honestly, let's think about what's current.  Caleb's karaoke hair band stuff?  Nope. Jena's unoriginal arrangements? Nope.  Jessica's countrified songs?  Maybe.  Alex's songwriter vibe?  Totally.  He is the one one who reflects current trends more than any of them.

I don't know about Alex's sound because I don't listen to current pop music (although I like the stuff I've heard him do on this show, so if he sounded like that in a career, I might listen to him). But I think Jessica's sound is pretty current for country music. Of course, country music has traditionally been more open to new artists. I don't know if it's still that way, but it used to be an easier field to break into than rock or pop.

Jessica will have a hard time in the country world, even if her sound is current and she is a strong writer with strong material. Unless your name is Taylor, Carrie, or Miranda the female country singers get no radio play these days. 

I just looked at the top 50 songs on the iTunes Country charts and only 4 of them are by women, one of them being Kristen Merlin from The Voice so it's just a cover. The other 3 are Jamie Lynn Spears, Sara Evans, and Miranda Lambert, who charted the highest at only #16. Jessica will have it very rough if she decides to pursue a country career, unless she tries to be another Miranda Lambert.

(edited)

That went pretty much exactly as I expected. Fly free slapout! At least they focused on her one good song from this week instead of kicking her on the way out.

I hate to read too much into these things, but I thought it was interesting how Jessica ignored J Lo trying to swoop in, in favor of Randy and then Jena. Maybe Randy is a better mentor than he appears to be, at least in terms of support.

Jena seemed to be struggling to remember her script during the dinner. Heaven forbid the show let them have a genuine moment.

Jessica you are in fine company with Haley, Elise and all the rest of the victims of the American Idol bus tour. I'm sure Slapout will have a parade anyway.

Edited by Joystickenvy

Jessica will have a hard time in the country world, even if her sound is current and she is a strong writer with strong material. Unless your name is Taylor, Carrie, or Miranda the female country singers get no radio play these days. 

I just looked at the top 50 songs on the iTunes Country charts and only 4 of them are by women, one of them being Kristen Merlin from The Voice so it's just a cover. The other 3 are Jamie Lynn Spears, Sara Evans, and Miranda Lambert, who charted the highest at only #16. Jessica will have it very rough if she decides to pursue a country career, unless she tries to be another Miranda Lambert.

I just realized I don't hear any of those people on the country station I listen to because it's more classic country. I do get a lot of Reba, though. Maybe Jessica could get a guest spot on Nashville.

• Love 2

Being an Alex fan, I'm happy enough with the results, but I'm dreading next week. They've set it up to be Caleb/JENA and I'm not looking forward to that.

This was one of Jessica's best performances ever.  She seemed more real to me. Maybe because she didn't have her security blanket/guitar?  Idk, but I thought that was a good performance even though you could tell she was upset.

I'm sure SlapOut will do something nice for her.  I'm looking forward to hearing what Alex does next week. The others I don't care about at all.

I suppose it was going to be like this once we got to the top 3 considering how awful the talent is this year, but I'm not sure who I want to see go next. Alex, whose sound I can't stand, or Caleb, who is insufferable and musically irrelevant. Either way, whichever makes it to the top 2 will win, just because of how easy men have it on this show now. Bleh. Can we just move on to next season already?

• Love 1

I don't know… remember last season when TPTB wanted Angie Miller in the finale and Kree squeaked in there instead? And I don't think anybody expected Phillip to be in the finale in S11, everyone was expecting a Jessica/Joshua finale that year. So maybe TPTB's plans will backfire and we'll get a Caleb/Alex finale after all. I can't decide if I want Caleb or Alex to win though… I like Caleb the best and think out of the thousands of people who auditioned this season (which happens to include myself) that vocally he would be a deserving winner. That being said, his style is really outdated and who knows what Interscope would do with him. If Alex wins, he would be a more marketable winner and he's very talented as well, but I'm sure his album sales would be even worse than Candice's and someone as talented as him doesn't deserve that. So that's why maybe it wouldn't be so bad after all if Jena was saddled with the Idol Curse. I find her the least talented or deserving of the 3 left so if she gets stuck with low album sales, I honestly probably wouldn't care and it would serve TPTB right for trying to manipulate the competition. They want Jena as their winner so bad? They've got her.

• Love 1

Haaaaated the fake dinner convo, but i actually enjoyed their excursion to MacArthur Park - although I didn't see any green icing, darn it all.

I'd bet $ that Caleb was B2, but that jess was a clear evictee.

Jess likes to come off all tough and world weary, but she couldn't handle it tonight.  who can?  I don't want to know that person.  Methinks she was more reacting to fear for her career than missing AI.  "WTH do I do now????"  YMMV.

I loathe the lie that Ryan speaks each year about the 4th place person going home.  Jess ain't leaving L.A. until after the finale.  Too many rehearsals.  I'd like to slap(out) him for saying it.

JLo came with the Peta outfit fo sho (DWTS).  DeGuardia took soooooo much shit for wearing that bikini.  JLo gets a new contract (Per TV Guide same jidges for next season).

(edited)

I think any combination of the three is possible for final 2. Most places you go there's people who think Caleb is out dated and/or a jerk, Alex is boring and Jena is annoying, but there's also people who think each of the three is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I think we are heading towards a Jena/Caleb finale, but I wouldn't be shocked if it went some other way.

In terms of who I'd rather listen to, I'd rate them Caleb, Jena, Alex, but I'm pulling for a Jena victory for entertainment value, since I don't think the prize is worth enough these days to fret too much over who "deserves" it.

Fwiw....my mom likes Caleb and she tends to like the winners.....though she didn't watch last year, so PP was her last correct prediction.

Edited by Joystickenvy

The conversation at the picnic made me laugh.  They all seem to think they're already established stars who will no longer be able to go into a shoe store without drawing fawning crowds.  I challenge them to recall the contestants from last year who didn't win.  Or even the one who did.  They might be able to come up with a couple of names, but I'm betting the owners of those names have no trouble going out in public without disguises.

• Love 2

I only saw Jessica's departure song on Youtube, so it may have been distorted.  But it looked like as she sang "Blue-Eyed Lie' she was giving JLo the Stank Death Stare of Hate.  Direct and penetrating.  I can only hope that is true.  Did it look like that on regular TV?

• Love 2

I'm giving them a pass on the picnic convo because I'm pretty sure that was written for them. I ran across the husband of a minor country/major bluegrass star on Facebook who thinks he can't go to wal-mart without getting mobbed and he's like 60 years old, so it's not like they'd be the only minor celebrity to get a big head even if they came up with it themselves.

Shoulda seen the dude from "PM magazine" who used to be my next door neighbor lol.

I've only been watching the show for the past few episodes, but I wanted to ring in on the marketability of these contestants:

Alex: his arrangements and voice are the most relevant for the radio. Young people are leaning more towards "indie" sounding artists and songs right now (as contradictory as that might sound). While he won't be smashing the charts, he can have a very reliable next few years with the right songs, image, and marketing. 

Jena: I can see the Demi Lovato-esque comparisons. She could fit that niche, but honestly, I think that that market is a little saturated right now. Arianna Grande has already hit it big, and I don't see the Demi/Miley/Selena artists fading out any time soon. 

Caleb: as pretty much everyone has said, his sound is dated. He might have local or niche success, but I can't see much more than that. 

Jessica: It is difficult for female country singers to make it big, but it's definitely possible. She has a fantastic voice, but I think it's her image and personality that don't fit into the current country scene. If she can ramp up the energy and emote a bit more in her performance, she can make it. See: Kacey Musgraves, who's worked her ass off from nothing 8 years ago to winning the Best Country Album at the Grammy's, over Taylor Swift.

• Love 1

I love that Jessica sang her own song for her sing out. I love that song, love her voice, and hope she does well. She is far more talented that JENA@#$%. I also love the stare Jessica gave the judges when they gave her a standing O. I'm pretty sure the translation was FU.

Also noticed that when JLo came up to the stage, from what it looked like to comfort Jessica, she was given the cold shoulder. GO JESS

Well unless Alex makes it to the final, next week will be my final show for this year (and maybe forever). I have no interest in either Caleb or JENA@#$%, and would be bored to tears to watch them in the final.

• Love 2

Their fake dinner conversations and picnics  are PAINFUL.   like  bad junior high actors forced to put on a play.  "Hey guys, do you realize we haven't been home for three months?"  "Yeah, and three of us will have HOMETOWN VISITS, while one of us will Simply GO HOME."   "But whoever goes home should still be proud for making it this far!"  "Gee guys, we are all really close friends, arent we, to be having this spontaneous conversation in front of a camera crew, right?"   

Who writes this crap? 

• Love 5

I don't get why the judges aren't pusbing Alex more. He's extremely talented because he can not only sing but he can writer too. He really is someone who just has music pouring out of him.

• Love 2

I used to somewhat enjoy the contrived dinner conversations but man tonight I couldn't handle it. And on top of the dinner convo and Ford commercial we had to have ANOTHER awful filler video of them having a picnic. Too much cheese for one night. Those videos are so cringe-worthingly awful that I feel embarrassed FOR them. 

How about when Jessica goes "I love you guys" and Caleb pauses for a second and then goes "I love you too" like he forgot he was supposed to say it or something. That was almost as bad as Randy being oblivious to Ariana Grande's fist bump.

• Love 1

Jena: I can see the Demi Lovato-esque comparisons. She could fit that niche, but honestly, I think that that market is a little saturated right now. Arianna Grande has already hit it big, and I don't see the Demi/Miley/Selena artists fading out any time soon.

Which is why the whole "marketable" argument is moot when it comes to her. Plus, there are other upcoming singers her age who are on her level (The Voice's Christina Grimmie) or may be better (TV's runner-up Jacquie Lee, who has tamed her screaming), quirky but talented (Lorde), or who may not be as talented but are successful (Ke$ha). Plus, JENA@!$# looks and sounds like a third-rate Lea Michelle.

If "Blue-Eyed Lie" is available, I will download it. Your moxie will be missed, Slapout!

Soooooooooooooo, according to Randy the only people who had a "great" night were Caleb and Jena and they were exceptional on all songs meanwhile Alex and Jessica had rough/mixed (and I swear he said mediocre at one point) nights?

Dude, I know you follow the party line --- but that is just ridiculous.

Jessica never looked as happy and relaxed as she did during her sing-out ..... I think she (like Sam before her) are just glad to be done with this nonsense. 

To me Jessica seemed resigned to her fate ........and I think Alex is beginning to as well.  It stinks for both of them as I feel they were never given a fair chance to win this thing.

• Love 1