Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: Trump vs. the World / Soft Power

• Start Topic

Please tell me there'll be an mp3 of that chorus' version of "All Star" available soon? I'd be cool with that version of the song as our national anthem :D.

The clip from "Andy Griffith" was a beautiful retort to that one guy's explanation for these shootings. He needs to watch that on a loop. Moron. I am feeling incredibly heartened by the Parkland students' response in the wake of this shooting, though. That one girl's impassioned speech was perfection. Fight the good fight, guys. 

The brief rundown of scandals in other countries was interesting, too. So good to have this show back.

• Love 20

Great start. I'm just hoping John doesn't burn out too soon, because this looks to be a long year. Plus side: new stuff in the credits . . . including Catheter Cowboy! And I liked John's "And now, this" fakeout.

ETA: Kinda awesome that people around the world can make money by dressing as the American president and lampoon him. And I like the idea that Germany is still in the "timeout corner."

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 10
10 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Please tell me there'll be an mp3 of that chorus' version of "All Star" available soon? I'd be cool with that version of the song as our national anthem :D.

The clip from "Andy Griffith" was a beautiful retort to that one guy's explanation for these shootings. He needs to watch that on a loop. Moron. I am feeling incredibly heartened by the Parkland students' response in the wake of this shooting, though. That one girl's impassioned speech was perfection. Fight the good fight, guys. 

The brief rundown of scandals in other countries was interesting, too. So good to have this show back.

That governor's explanation was the worst excuse anybody could have come with about the shootings in Florida. I wanted to go Cher on him for making that statement. Yeah, governor, keep saying that and don't think about it. Moron.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 4

So glad to have John back.  He has a special way of highlighting absurdity which is a useful skill in this day and age (given that every day brings something absurd).  I need to laugh at this stuff or else I would cry.  I just hope the US can recover from the damage Trump is doing to foreign relations.  But..... her emails!!! 

• Love 13

The Parkland students give me hope. I'm in awe of their strength and bravery.

John saying that Trump's thinking is "If it wasn't big where I could see it, it wasn't big," is completely accurate, and the comparison of this to object permanence was perfect.

"I'm the only one that matters." Yikes. Again, this is so telling. This is who our president is. 

Shaking hands like he's trying to masturbate an elephant. :D

I loved Malcolm Turnbull mocking Trump. That was hysterical. The sign language interpreter was also great.

• Love 12
18 hours ago, Annber03 said:

The clip from "Andy Griffith" was a beautiful retort to that one guy's explanation for these shootings.

This just needs to be the go to counter whenever 'law abiding' gun owners start bloviating about how it's ok kids get shot at schools.

John briefly made a point about the lack of ambassadorships, but I wish he'd dedicate a whole show to what the foreign service is and does. 

• Love 13
21 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Great start. I'm just hoping John doesn't burn out too soon, because this looks to be a long year. Plus side: new stuff in the credits . . . including Catheter Cowboy! And I liked John's "And now, this" fakeout.

ETA: Kinda awesome that people around the world can make money by dressing as the American president and lampoon him. And I like the idea that Germany is still in the "timeout corner."

I cheered out loud when I saw CC in the credits. 

Untitled.png

• Love 7
14 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

That governor's explanation was the worst excuse anybody could have come with about the shootings in Florida.

I'm sorry . . . .that guy was a governor?!? Fuck me . . .

10 hours ago, arachne said:

When I saw all those foreign parodies of Trump, I thought yeah, go ahead, knock yerselves out. We asked for it. :^( 

Not the majority. Also, I'd like an independent agency to compare and contrast the "presidents," and determine which is the "best." Maybe the Swiss? Obvious, Alec Baldwin would be eligible, as well as the guy from The President Show. I erased unwatched episodes of that because that actor did way too good a job.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 3

Good to have the show back, though I'm getting tired of John's cheap shots at various countries (Belgium is a shithole, Australia is unhabitable because it's filled with Australians [fine, that one is funny]). Look, I know it's all tongue-in-cheek, and John and the writers obviously never target the actually-disadvantaged countries in such jokes. Still, it feels like we don't even need such mock-xenophobia in these times, or in an episode about Trump being an un-diplomatic imbecile, and at the very least such jokes feel cheap and overused by now. 

On the plus side, I laughed out loud at the pic of Andy Griffith eating Tide pods 

Edited by Corgi-ears
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

The final image in the titles this week was of Adam Rippon. Which . . . what? Totally random.

AdaRipp is my “ f.u. Pence, gay people gonna gay” hero. I'm down with it.

• Love 6

Love that the show is back. Ollie is right in saying that those high schoolers are mature and brave for taking a stand against gun violence by organizing a nationwide march next month. But he was very, very underwhelming when he said they were up against it. Because if they have any hope for a glimmer of success, they'd better be ready to engage in the fight of their young lives. Because their opposition is unbendable and cruel. And will do anything and everything to make their lives miserable. Gabby Giffords and her astronaut husband can't do it. The parents of the victims of the Sandy Hook massacre can't do it. And they're already licking their lips at a group of teenagers whom they already have plenty of disdain over for other reasons.

The idea of China filling in the world leadership vacuum is quite uneasy, as Ollie pointed out. But I don't know if I feel the same way about Germany. Yes, they did a lot of bad shit in the early part of the last century, but they were forced in a big way to look at and own up to their sins. Plus, they were still paying the price with the country split up into east and west nations with their largest city Berlin walled up around them. Even after the country was reunified, they've become a more open minded and tolerant nation. At least far more so than in the distant past.

• Love 6
On 2/19/2018 at 11:15 PM, Kromm said:

I cheered out loud when I saw CC in the credits. 

Untitled.png

On 2/19/2018 at 2:06 AM, Lantern7 said:

Other new things I noticed in the credits (at least new to me):
-- the Scranton Train (In Loco Scrantonus)
-- the Bolivian Zebras (Equus Stripedus)
-- Opioids (Painkillerum Killerum)
-- Harding (Sic Semper Presidentium)

I do like the White House referred to Mar-a-lago Northus -- it's so true, being the President is the part-time gig between golf games.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2
On 2/20/2018 at 9:27 AM, Corgi-ears said:

Good to have the show back, though I'm getting tired of John's cheap shots at various countries (Belgium is a shithole, Australia is unhabitable because it's filled with Australians [fine, that one is funny]). Look, I know it's all tongue-in-cheek, and John and the writers obviously never target the actually-disadvantaged countries in such jokes. Still, it feels like we don't even need such mock-xenophobia in these times, or in an episode about Trump being an un-diplomatic imbecile, and at the very least such jokes feel cheap and overused by now. 

Note though that its a mainstay of British comedy to mock Belgium and to a degree also Australia. Goes back at least to Monty Python, and probably further back.

• Love 3
On 2/20/2018 at 11:46 AM, iMonrey said:

The final image in the titles this week was of Adam Rippon. Which . . . what? Totally random.

I may have missed a previous answer, but Adam was on the US Olympic Men’s figure skating team in Pyongyang.