Type keyword(s) to search

Guy's Grocery Games - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Last night Guy said flavortown market was getting a makeover and would be back soon. They showed a picture of a deli counter. When have the chefs ever used cold cuts? Realized I don't want the market to change. It's comforting the way it is.

• Love 4

I noticed that too.  I'm glad they're returning to the set and think it's time for an update.  Chopped has been on 30 years longer than GGG and still hasn't had an update.  

I think the deli counter is just for show.   There's a bakery that can be seen behind the judges and even a floral section.   

• Love 4

New episodes have always been happening; the question is when does it go back into the studio. Tonight is a "Guy Cooks the Games" ep and 6/23 and 6/30 are both Delivery games. Food Network usually releases episode details for a month near the end of the current month, so we should know next week if July is back to normal.

• Love 1

According to the commercials, they are back in the studio next Wednesday, 6/23.  Guy Cooks the Games is my least favorite of the at home variety so if we have another one tonight, hopefully that's the end of it.  

• Love 4

I just went back to thefutoncritic and they've already made updates to what I saw 48 minutes ago. Tonight is now Delivery: Exotic Meats (which was 6/23; that date is now Episode TBA). 

This is a nice development!

I'll admit, the updates to the store are realistic. Those stations are at my store. I loved Aarti's hair. But not Rocco's. Not sure about keeping the scoreboard but happy Hunter didn't have a larger role. That was just enough of him, laughing at one of Guy's puns. The competition itself was ok. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I too like the updates to the store. Very realistic. Not crazy about the TOC type scoring. Hunter fit in OK in that role. Glad they are back in the store and are eating everyone's food. Unlike on The Kitchen...

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Thank goodness they're back in the store!  I too like the changes.  Very realistic, except food bars are usually self-serve.  Maybe no self serve is a pandemic thing?  I know at my stores they were closed down for a while.  Hunter at the deli counter, LOL, that's about all he's good for (ooooh, snarky)!  No he's sweet, and that's good spot for him.  I'm OK with the scoring, it seems more fair.  I always wondered if some people were favored over others with the other method.  The only thing bugging me is those white shelf end caps - not realistic and stick out like a sore thumb.  But that's a minor nitpick.  I like how the judges table is much bigger now and they're more spread apart.  I always thought they were too close together, even pre-pandemic.

This show obviously meant far more to me than I ever knew.  I had grown tired of the delivery version and wasn't even watching it after a while.  I see I'm not the only one that's gained weight over the past year....

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, eclectcmoi said:

Are you watching the new episodes on Discovery+?  I don't see them on the regular Food Network channel.  

No I saw it on regular Food Network.  The episode recorded on my DVR but it didn't list the season or episode number, which was strange.  I thought it might have been a repeat but it was actually the first episode of the new season.  I'm on Comcast, BTW.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

No I saw it on regular Food Network.  The episode recorded on my DVR but it didn't list the season or episode number, which was strange.  I thought it might have been a repeat but it was actually the first episode of the new season.  I'm on Comcast, BTW.

Well heck... I can't find the new episodes!  One was supposed to be on last night and the other tonight.  I see them on the Food Network website too, but they aren't showing in the guide and upcoming programs for DirecTV.  I have all new episodes set to record.  

GGG got me through the pandemic, especially the start when everything was so uncertain.  I've seen almost all the back episodes and put up with the delivery games shows and now want to see them back in the Flavortown Market.  Damn it! 

And thanks YEAH NO!  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I like how the judges table is much bigger now and they're more spread apart.  I always thought they were too close together, even pre-pandemic.

But does this mean Guy won't be sampling off the judge closest to him? For some reason I found this endearing. Especially since I know the judge isn't finishing the dish.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

But does this mean Guy won't be sampling off the judge closest to him? For some reason I found this endearing. Especially since I know the judge isn't finishing the dish.

I thought they made four servings? I could swear I've seen Guy eating off his own plate.

Just now, tracyscott76 said:

I thought they made four servings? I could swear I've seen Guy eating off his own plate.

The fourth plate is for them to film and  take close ups. I think they said this in the behind the scenes episode. 

• Useful 1
Just now, Grizzly said:

The fourth plate is for them to film and  take close ups. I think they said this in the behind the scenes episode. 

That makes sense. Considering how much Guy likes to sample the food while the chefs are still making it, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that he eats off another judge's plate XD

4 hours ago, eclectcmoi said:

Well heck... I can't find the new episodes!  One was supposed to be on last night and the other tonight.  I see them on the Food Network website too, but they aren't showing in the guide and upcoming programs for DirecTV.  I have all new episodes set to record.  

GGG got me through the pandemic, especially the start when everything was so uncertain.  I've seen almost all the back episodes and put up with the delivery games shows and now want to see them back in the Flavortown Market.  Damn it! 

And thanks YEAH NO!  

Looking at the guide, the episode wasn't marked as New which is probably why it didn't record. Anyway it should be available On Demand or Food Network Go. My provider has it under S27E01 but Food Network has it under S26E16. The title is still the same on both (Grand Reopening).

• Love 1

I liked the new stations in the store but I wonder what's missing or moved - and where.  The store had aisles of stuff all the way across and the new stations take up a lot of room.  

• Love 1

Thank you @NotChristine and you're right... the episode wasn't marked as new or even titled. It randomly recorded today and I was able to watch.  

The appetizer and entrée in one hour was a really intense challenge for those chefs.  I think the additions of the new food stations add an interesting element too.  

Glad they're back to filming in the store! 

What's concerning me is my on screen guide is not showing any new episodes coming up.  I wonder if the same thing will happen and it will record an unmarked episode which will turn out to be new.  I don't even see episode 1 of the new season on "On Demand".  It's probably on Discovery+, though.

5 hours ago, mlp said:

I liked the new stations in the store but I wonder what's missing or moved - and where.  The store had aisles of stuff all the way across and the new stations take up a lot of room.  

It looked like the new Deli (haha) was where the old bakery used to be.  Not sure where the bakery is now if it's still there.  It looked like they moved stuff around in the produce section to make room for the food bars and rotisserie chickens.

• Love 1

They may have also gotten rid of the truly unnecessary things in the aisles like the cat food/cat litter and the like. 

The one thing that bothered me about the new stations is what happens to the food that doesn't get used? I know with the other food they donate it, but I don't think you can do that from the hot station, prepped food and the salad bar. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

The one thing that bothered me about the new stations is what happens to the food that doesn't get used?

I wondered about that too, especially when I saw all those rotisserie chickens - many more than could possibly have been used during the show.  I have no idea what they do with the extra food but Guy has a history of being very good about helping out where there is need.  I doubt he would allow it to go to waste.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Haven't seen the new ep yet; but I suspect for Hot Food stations, they might have more leeway on how it can be donated. It may be fed to the crew, or because of where it comes from, it may be able to be sent directly to a hot soup kitchen type place to be served immediately. 

Other things like rotisserie chickens I think can be broken down and the meat used to make cold foods like chicken salad afterwards, or just be chicken for sandwiches. 

• Love 3

One thing I noticed right away in the new episode with the redesigned Flavortown Market was the "Employee of the Year" sign where the ice cream maker (?) used to be. That got me in the heart -- Carl Ruiz will always be the soul of this show, and I'm so glad that Guy recognizes that.

• Love 8

I love that they're back in "Flavortown", I don't even mind the non-3-rounds format.  I actually kind of liked this set up - app + dinner in 60 minutes.  Limiting it to 9 items and using the same protein twice was insane, but they all did marvelously well with it.  I wanted to try all their food, especially the tortilla soup, grilled flat iron, and fettuccine.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Maverick said:

"What are you doing here?"             Dude... we've been askin that all along. 

I know you are referring to Hunter, but the same question could be asked of Nancy Silverton.

10 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

I know you are referring to Hunter, but the same question could be asked of Nancy Silverton.

I was surprised to see her as a judge.  Honestly I'm not too familiar with her except on Tournament of Champions, but expected her to be super critical.  She seemed to enjoy herself and gave praise, helpful criticism, and suggestions.  I did sense Nancy isn't one of "the gang" yet.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, schnauzergirl said:

I was surprised to see her as a judge.  Honestly I'm not too familiar with her except on Tournament of Champions, but expected her to be super critical.  She seemed to enjoy herself and gave praise, helpful criticism, and suggestions.  I did sense Nancy isn't one of "the gang" yet.

I've always been a Nancy Silverton fan. 
And I was so happy to hear her say "When I come to your restaurant, don't put a smear on my plate."  That has always been one of my foody trend pet peeves.

• Love 8
On 6/24/2021 at 10:26 AM, Grizzly said:

On 6/24/2021 at 7:24 AM, Yeah No said:

Thank goodness they're back in the store!  I too like the changes.  Very realistic, except food bars are usually self-serve.  Maybe no self serve is a pandemic thing?  I know at my stores they were closed down for a while.  Hunter at the deli counter, LOL, that's about all he's good for (ooooh, snarky)!  No he's sweet, and that's good spot for him.  I'm OK with the scoring, it seems more fair.  I always wondered if some people were favored over others with the other method.  The only thing bugging me is those white shelf end caps - not realistic and stick out like a sore thumb.  But that's a minor nitpick.  I like how the judges table is much bigger now and they're more spread apart.  I always thought they were too close together, even pre-pandemic....

I guess I’m ok with the scoring since it seems fairer somewhat.  I think judges say whatever still about a person’s food.  You say this mistake makes a chef look more bad than another chef’s mistake, but you don’t know for sure, it’s what the judge say, judge may say whatever still because they like that person. 

Uh, why are they so far apart at the judges table???  I think it’s a pandemic precaution.  I kinda don’t like it.  People are supposed to be cozy with each other, and cozy…is not having to holler at your fellow judges across a great expanse of a table.  I’m still burnt out on GGG.  I only watch the first game to enjoy a GGG game, don’t bother to watch the remaining 30 minutes of the show.

Panini Pete and John Conley are my favorite DDD/GGG chefs so I hated to see Pete go out first.  I didn't even mind his new beard too much.

The new scoring system seems more objective than the judges discussing the dishes and trying to sway the others although I hope they still do to some extent because one may point out something the others hadn't thought about.

I wonder how many shows they film in a row.  It seems like it would get very expensive to keep replacing all the items on the salad bar and all those rotisserie chickens.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I don't think I even saw the rotisserie chickens this last ep.

Now that you mention it, I didn't either although I wasn't looking for them.  I was very disappointed that John Conley left first.  After that, I was mostly watching for shots of Ming Tsai.  :)  I can't even remember who won.

• Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I don't think I even saw the rotisserie chickens this last ep.

I don't remember seeing them either. But it was a camping/cookout dinner challenge and most people don't bring rotisserie chicken camping...

Edited by Gramto6
51 minutes ago, mlp said:

Now that you mention it, I didn't either although I wasn't looking for them.  I was very disappointed that John Conley left first.  After that, I was mostly watching for shots of Ming Tsai.  :)  I can't even remember who won.

I like Ming too ^^  I thought the new games were good.  The "falling rocks" were crazy, outrageous and funny.  The slingshot game was also fun and funny.  Did not continue watching to see the winner.

• Love 2

The first game was no produce, but John Conley used fresh fingerling potatoes.  I think one of the other chefs used what looked like baby onions in a mesh bag.  Dominca used frozen potatoes, saying she couldn't use fresh.  I'm confused...

• Love 2

Last night's show featured Food Network Star contestants.  Two I didn't recognize, but did remember Michelle and #Matt.  I could not stand him on FNS and no reason to change my mind after last night.  He certainly can cook and I appreciate exuberance, but #Matt is so over the top.  Also, maybe it's just me, but #s aren't the flavor of the month anymore.  I was happy with the winner.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I've always liked Viet but I knew he was doomed when he made that insipid looking fruit with foam.  It didn't even look good.

I was happy that Michele won.  She's been on a lot of competitions and I don't recall ever seeing her win before.  

Viet, Michele, Matthew........... Who was the fourth cook?  I've already forgotten.  Or maybe there were just three?  Duh.

1 hour ago, Maverick said:

Jernad, who had the awful "Love Chef" schtick but still managed to make it to the end of his season.  

Oh yeah.  Thanks.  I don't know how I managed to forget him.  At least he didn't try to do a cartwheel on the way out.  :)

• LOL 1
On 8/5/2021 at 6:40 AM, schnauzergirl said:

Last night's show featured Food Network Star contestants.  Two I didn't recognize, but did remember Michelle and #Matt.  I could not stand him on FNS and no reason to change my mind after last night.  He certainly can cook and I appreciate exuberance, but #Matt is so over the top.  Also, maybe it's just me, but #s aren't the flavor of the month anymore.  I was happy with the winner.

I didn't watch FNS when it was on and now no more.  :(  But per wikipedia, it seemed to be on a number of years and toward the end gave us...Christian Petroni...

Anyhoo, I didn't like Matt either.  I like high energy < to Guy, but he is Guy X 50 points.  Too exuberant for me.  However, I liked his choices in dishes, my tastes in food, go figure.  I think Matt was stuck with the # spiel because the show was reminding viewers of these people's schticks on FNS, and some buzzwords are now passe or commonplace, like # is.  It was probably relevant when Matt was on the show.  It was nice Michelle won.

Hey, I'll bring it up, last week's episode.  So it was a competition of egg dishes! and Antonia and Hunter made Guy eat them, that is, eggs!  Well he didn't have to eat them but because they're made by his friends he forced himself a little bit.  It was pretty entertaining.  I think by now Guy doesn't mind eggs but he plays it up for entertainment value.  I kinda agree with him about hard boiled eggs tasting and smelling bad, but these days, I don't think they're eaten that way.  It's all soft boiled around me, thanks to ramen love everywhere.  And the distaste of a yolk bursting open, I wonder how he'll feel about how the Japanese eat rice and eggs. 😋

Edited by eyesopen
changed some words
  • Love 1

The secondhand awkwardness/embarrassment of watching Guy stop the clock to make everyone do their sweet 'n' savory fried feast shop again because all of them whiffed on the gameplay was...something.

And I thought all four of them went too far in the other direction. Yes, Guy said fried feast, but that doesn't mean to fry every single item on the plate. 

• Love 1