Type keyword(s) to search

Guy's Grocery Games - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I agree with who they sent home. Nate's sandwich looked dry. Not sure why he didn't melt the cheese. Is that a Spanish thing? Karen made a Lebanese sandwich and called it a gyro. She's a chef; she's supposed to know better.

I'm rooting for so many on this show, but Jonathan Sawyer is my top pick. I've actually had his food, and it's so good. He's another super creative chef, and I love how his mind works. I was disappointed that he didn't show how interesting he can be, but that usually doesn't work out well for him on food game shows so I can't fault him for that.

Looking forward to seeing more of his, and everyone else's, dishes.

• Like 5

To me Hunter seems like a nice, smart, funny, laid-back kid whose father keeps throwing him into the deep end of the pool. Even though the sharks in the pool don't devour him, because it's in their own best interests not to, that's still a real disservice to the kid, since he'll never find out what he's truly good at.

Has Hunter really replaced Wendy permanently?

• Like 4

What an impressive roster of chefs on this new tournament.  I like so many of them and it was fun to see them going nuts with the options at their disposal in Flavortown.  They seemed to be having a great time with the gameplay and embraced the curveballs.  I didn't mind Ilan being eliminated but I am a big fan of Karen's so that was too bad for her to be cut in the very first round (though sounds like it was a deserved decision).  

UO:  I like Hunter and don't know a thing about Wendy other than seeing her a few times on the show, so I don't miss her.

• Like 3

Reposting my thoughts on Hunter from TOC thread:

I agree with everyone's comments about Hunter's lack of charisma, but I have sympathy for him. He seems like he has oldest kid syndrome and is trying to please his dad by working along side him. I can't imagine being a kid of a famous person and always trying to live up to that same expectation. The constant, intense scrutiny would send me to the psych ward. As a contrast, Ryder has youngest kid syndrome and is nowhere near the shows except maybe once or twice a year.

Hunter is nice, participates in goofy antics, and always treats everyone with respect. Sure he's not great at tv stuff, but I don't think he's even 30 yet, and he acts like more of an adult than some of the other older folks on FN (coughSCOTTCONANTBOBBYFLAYALMOSTEVERYJUDGEONCHOPPEDcough).

I haven't seen Wendy in a while but the episodes are always jumbled when they show them on Wednesdays so I couldn't even tell you which episode she was last in and how long it's been.

Her bio on the Oliver's Market page does say she's no longer a cashier so maybe she's just busy. https://www.oliversmarket.com/employee/

As for the nepotism criticism, almost every famous person either knew someone in the industry prior to starting (and that was their in) or they're a rich kid that could be supported by their parents while they were trying to get their big break.

The average actor spends about 10 years auditioning, looking for work, and taking any job they can get before they get their "big break". Actors don't get paid for auditions which is a full time job before they make it big. Working two full-time jobs in expensive towns like NYC and LA plus their acting work makes the 10 year effort pretty unsustainable for the average human. Hence, most people that can work long enough to get a big break have shortcuts either by being a rich kid or knowing someone who can get you a job.

I agree nepotism is trash but that should really be a discussion about the overall problem in the entertainment industry as a whole instead of picking on one person. To get nepotism out of the industry, all personnel need to be paid a livable wage for the city they have to reside in to get work AND they need to be paid for auditions as part of that process as the SAG-AFTRA and WGA strike have shown us.

Finally, Guy seems to be an involved parent so I can't blame him for wanting to set his kids up for a good life. Any parent that cares about their kid would do the same thing. And if your parent offered you a job for a cushy life where you could hang out with people you respect and have fun, wouldn't you take it? I know I would.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Catfi9ht said:

I agree nepotism is trash but that should really be a discussion about the overall problem in the entertainment industry as a whole instead of picking on one person.

This is the show we're talking about, so Hunter is the person under discussion.

And if someone called me "a nice, smart, funny, laid-back kid," I wouldn't mind being picked on like that.

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

This is the show we're talking about, so Hunter is the person under discussion.

And if someone called me "a nice, smart, funny, laid-back kid," I wouldn't mind being picked on like that.

I encourage you to read this thread an any other thread where Hunter is on a show. The comments about him are overwhelmingly vitriolic.

Edited by Catfi9ht
fixed my grammar
9 minutes ago, Catfi9ht said:

I encourage you to read this thread an any other thread where Hunter is on a show. The vitriol is pretty overwhelming.

I don't think anyone HATES Hunter. It is noteworthy to mention how he got his job. He's pretty much devoid of personality, especially compared to his father. He couldn't carry a show on his own. 

That's not vitriol. Just facts. 

• Like 5
11 minutes ago, Catfi9ht said:

I encourage you to read this thread an any other thread where Hunter is on a show. The vitriol is pretty overwhelming.

With all due respect, the post that said he "lacked charisma" was yours. I didn't say anything negative about him--quite the contrary--but I've certainly read the unflattering and cruel remarks in the past. If anyone should be picked on regarding Hunter's meteoric rise, it's Guy. You don't do your kid any favors by subjecting him to the nasty things people on the internet are going to say when you elevate him beyond his level of competence--judging chefs of long training and professional experience, for example. It's not Hunter's fault. It's Guy's, for not making sure he earns his stripes before he wears them.

• Like 5

I LOVED Stephanie and Shoto together!  It was interesting to hear that Stephanie basically started mentoring him after they were on Iron Chef together.  Can we please get them their own show?!

Bummed with who left last night but only because Jose is the only chef competing who's restaurant I've actually ate in but I definitely want to try most of the other Chefs restaurants; especially Stephanie. 

Also, why was Aarti Sequeira randomly shopping during the final competition? She just appeared behind Jose with a cart and no one said anything! 

Edited by ksutton625
  • Like 4
55 minutes ago, ksutton625 said:

Also, why was Aarti Sequeira randomly shopping during the final competition? She just appeared behind Jose with a cart and no one said anything! 

I saw that too and thought what the heck, Aarti?!?!  Pretty funny.

Bummed to say bye to Jose Garces -- he's such a gem.  But it will be difficult to see any of these chefs eliminated -- they are all so, so talented.  

Fun series.

• Like 3

I am catching up and watched the one last night where they had former winners who shopped once to cook twice. Holy cats, the long dagger fingernails on that one chef! Totally gave me the heebie jeebies to watch her bread something with those things. That canNOT be hygienic.

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, schnauzergirl said:

Jose is having a run of bad luck (or bad judging?), isn't he?  I was rooting for Jonathon and am sorry he didn't take home the trophy and the money.

Seriously -- Jose may be ready to wash his hands of FN competitions.  I thought his Titans episode was totally screwed in the outcome.

I was absolutely rooting for Jonathon in the GGG All-Star competition and am over Stephanie Izard winning every time -- is there something in her contract with FN?  Used to be the same with Alex G that she "won" every time and that got real old.  Yes, Stephanie's talented but I'm not a fan.

I did enjoy the GGG All-Star tournament -- great chefs and it was nice to see them having some fun with each other in the Flavortown market environment.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Like 6

I so enjoyed tonight’s GGG episode with the Teachers.  Brian Malarkey brought one of his former teachers in Oregon from 35 years ago!!  Aarti brought a teacher who runs a pre-school that one of her kids attends.  Jet brought his son’s teacher.  It was so great to see this teacher appreciation (never, ever enough) and they could cook!  

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

I enjoyed this episode too.  Any appreciation we can show teachers is more than worthy!  I did feel a little bad though for Malarkey's teacher when he kept pounding on his back and shoulder in excitement.  One time the teacher winced and pulled away from Malarkey.  Easy there bud on an older gentleman! 

Edited by eclectcmoi
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

I enjoyed it too.  I know some people don't like Malarkey but I don't mind him, plus I'm a (non-native) Oregonian, so he has that going for him where I'm concerned.  You're right though @eclectcmoi, gently does it with us oldies.

I don't watch regularly, but man, it's really time to stop trying to make Hunter a thing.  Surely enough time has passed for the powers that be to realize that he has the personality of surge protector and he will never be interesting or engaging.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
28 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

I don't watch regularly, but man, it's really time to stop trying to make Hunter a thing.  Surely enough time has passed for the powers that be to realize that he has the personality of surge protector and he will never be interesting or engaging.

🤣🤣 Personality of a surge protector. 😂 You're not wrong.

Edited by jcbrown
  • LOL 4
12 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

🤣🤣 Personality of a surge protector. 😂 You're not wrong.

I was looking round my living room for inspiration and dismissed both buttons and reading glasses as having more personality than Hunter before I landed on surge protector.

Edited by Ancaster
  • LOL 5