Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E03: Jump Then Fall

Daphne struggles with the idea of Deacon dating.

I'm all on board for a Jesse / Deacon relationship but their chemistry last season was much more evident than this season.  Surely this is a deliberate decision by the director and actors as chemistry doesn't just disappear.  But I am curious why they have chosen to play it this way.  I hope they aren't trying to appease the fans who only want to see Deacon/Rayna and are angry about the show having Deacon move on with his life, because that will accomplish is to have no one happy with the storyline. 

I thought the time Maddie spent with Jonas' friend went much better than her time with Jonas. 

Avery is in an impossible situation.  Juliette seems to be doing better because of the time she is spending with Darius and his group (trying not to call them a cult), so to try to get her to stop pursuing whatever that is would be wrong, maybe? But it's just so hinky, with the 30% and donating your time; and what are they gonna do if you don't give them 30%, do you sign a contract?  Meanwhile, again, he's taking care of the home and their child while she's out of the house for fourteen hours or more because she would rather be there than at home.  This storyline is pissing me off. 

• Love 2

How long can Juliette keep going to this cult for so many hours a day? At some point, she should be able to come home for dinner and to spend time with the family like most people do who work 8-5 jobs. I don't feel like Avery is saddled with staying home with Cadence, though. He can get Emily or another babysitter whenever he needs. It's just weird because she's not working, she's becoming involved with something that seems pretty weird.

I'm looking forward to more of the guys next week. Otherwise, nothing else is standing out for me.

• Love 1

I admit I often do other things while watching this show, but did anyone else feel Will's HGH/steroid storyline just came out of left field? I know his breakup with Zack really knocked his confidence, but it's not like Zack replaced him with a beefier guy.

8 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

What has Lennon done to her face?

I think (hope) it's just the over-bleached hair and troweled-on makeup that's making her look like she's in her 40s. Now that this season is airing I hope she sees how unflattering that look is and tones it down.

I feel really bad for Daphne. Her mother is dead, her father is in prison, her sister is busy with her career, and now her stepfather is moving on romantically. That's a lot to deal with for a teenager. She's just as talented as Maddie, but while everyone fawns over Maddie, nobody is there to even hear Daphne sing her new song. I'm not saying Deacon and Maddie should put their lives on hold for Daphne, but it wouldn't hurt if they paid a bit more attention to her and spent some quality time as a family.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I admit I often do other things while watching this show, but did anyone else feel Will's HGH/steroid storyline just came out of left field? I know his breakup with Zack really knocked his confidence, but it's not like Zack replaced him with a beefier guy.

3 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Same here, it seemed totally random. Its never been mentioned that Will does steroids, and it just seemed to come out of left field. I can see him engaging in self destructive behavior after his breakup, but I would have liked a bit more build up about why its this particular thing.

I actually saw more chemistry between Maddie and the pop star guys friend than with the pop star guy. I wonder if she ditches her guy for his non famous buddy? 

Poor Daphne. She is trying so hard to be supportive of the family, but this is so much to get put on her at such a young age. I dont blame her for having weird feelings about Deacon dating, or Deacon for feeling weird about it as well. 

Counting the seconds for the other shoe to drop on Juliette and the cult guy. Once she realizes whats really up, or just gets bored, I expect to see her moving out to live alone in a cabin for a few weeks because she saw a pop up as online for a book about finding yourself in the woods. 

• Love 3

I just re-watched Daphne's song montage.  It was so beautiful, intimate yet bigger somehow.  

There is such an element of selfishness inherent to Juliette's character, it's like she's the little boy who cried wolf with her next immersion in bullshit.  Have to say though, not quite, but Avery's eye rolls throughout almost make this story worth it.  I love his, "I don't know what this is!"  We'll see, Juliette is annoying me, but I really hope they don't have a complete break-up by end of series.  That just seems so depressing, even if it was realistic.  

Will stuff is problematic only because I don't buy him being despondent over the loss of Zach.  A Juliette/Avery or Rayna/Deacon relationship sure, but Zach?  Are we getting our lead into Wunnar? Probably not, but I love anytime they're in a scene together, such great chemistry.  I like this story only for scenes between Gunnar and Will.  

Scarlet and Horses?  Wha? 

Edited by sunflower
4 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I think (hope) it's just the over-bleached hair and troweled-on makeup that's making her look like she's in her 40s. Now that this season is airing I hope she sees how unflattering that look is and tones it down.

Something looks really weird with her mouth. I don't know if she's gotten veneers or lip fillers or both.

4 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I think it actually makes sense because Will has always had self esteem issues. Zach just set him off I do like that they are using steroids rather than booze or other drugs. Its something different and probably more common in cases like this than people realize.

• Love 1

Help a girl out --I could not make out what Gunnar said to Will when he saw him shooting up... "something something cuz I hate needles." Gunnar needing to get his keys from out under Will's fling was the highlight of the episode. 

Will is so way better than Zach in every way that this whole bullshit about him being all full of self-doubt and distraught over it is hard to stomach. 

Really, another super boring Maddie love interest. Why couldn't we see Daphne in a teen-age love triangle between her kind-of boyfriend and the cute but awkward son of what's her name.   

• Love 1

I'm just so over this cult story.  How much money is this guy going to get out of Juliette before she realizes he's not in her best interest.  She wants to work with her hands then doesn't Nashville have Habitat for Humanity, soup kitchens, etc that aren't going to ask for 20 % of her big income.  I love her and Avery but she's destroying it once again.  Does she get ignoring her daughter to go out to the cult is not making her a better person.

Now Scarlet is going of to do what........>?

At least Daphne being upset Deacon is dating is a realistic story.

More music.  Put the sisters back together again.  Get rid of Gunnar's weird hair.  As for Will and the steroids, upsetting but believable.  

I used to so look forward to Nashville and now i watch it with despair........

• Love 2
19 hours ago, chocolatine said:

There was a conversation between Will and Gunnar last week about how Will has been going to the gym way more than usual (Gunnar implied too much), partly as a distraction from moping about Zach but also because he's been doing more commercial/modelling work since that beer commercial last season and was feeling self-conscious about shirtless photo shoots. So, not completely out of left field, but pretty minimal build-up. I think I only noticed it because I knew there was a steroid story coming up. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Something looks really weird with her mouth. I don't know if she's gotten veneers or lip fillers or both.

I went back and looked at older pictures, and you're right, her mouth does look very different, and I don't think it's just lip liner (TM Kylie Jenner). It's so sad because Lennon is only 18, and was very pretty to begin with.

• Love 2

Thank you for the validation! It's the little things.

She's gotten a solo recording contract in real life, as on the show.

I wish I didn't know all this about this kid's life.

Edited by bilgistic

I think it actually makes sense because Will has always had self esteem issues. Zach just set him off I do like that they are using steroids rather than booze or other drugs. Its something different and probably more common in cases like this than people realize.

Drugs or alcohol would have been a bit of a cliché (and we've already had an alcoholism story w/ Deacon), but in this case I think it would have been more realistic.  The steroid thing was pulled completely out of the blue, especially considering that Will was already a muscular good looking guy.

Scarlet and Horses?  Wha? 

What exactly is Scarlet doing to support herself?  Since she appears to no longer be interested in singing or writing, what is her source of income?  I presume she gets some royalties from past songs, but I never got the impression that she reached the level of stardom where she could just retire and never work again.  Seems the only things she is considering are a vague mention of mentoring and this horse thing.  Almost makes me wish they hadn't cut her hair b/c jokes comparing it to a horse's mane would have almost written themselves.  

Get rid of Gunnar's weird hair

This.  I wondered if Scarlett's stylist got a hold of Gunnar or if the actor ticked someone off in the makeup department.

I just re-watched Daphne's song montage.  It was so beautiful, intimate yet bigger somehow.  

Daphne's song was the best part of the show.  Wasn't it the only actual music that we got other than Juliette's little a capella  verse at the cult lunch.  

3 hours ago, RogerDodger said:

Daphne's song was the best part of the show.  Wasn't it the only actual music that we got other than Juliette's little a capella  verse at the cult lunch.  

They also had Maddie and the new guy (Sorry, but I cannot remember his name, I want to call him Justin) singing the new song. 

I think Maisy Stella has a great future ahead of her.  I loved the song that Daphne sang.  

Edited by Lisa418722
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Help a girl out --I could not make out what Gunnar said to Will when he saw him shooting up... "something something cuz I hate needles." Gunnar needing to get his keys from out under Will's fling was the highlight of the episode. 

According to the captions, he said, "Wow, I didn't realize it worked like that. I hate needles."

Right there with all of you. The Maddie story would be more interesting if she fell for the friend. And really....what the guy was saying is that the rock star was a bully....how is this OK because he chose to give the guy an "in" to the popular group just because he stood up to them? I have no interest whatsoever in that character (the rock star), whose name I can't remember, but it occurred to me that might be because I am well out of that age group.

I also don't understand the Maddie storyline. Was he in Nashville? Did she fly to LA? Isn't she still like 17 or so? Why is anyone expecting her to drink at clubs? It's like the show wants you to think she's 25 at this point.

I'm guessing now that the cult will be beneficial for Juliette for awhile, but eventually start demanding more and more from her. We've had hints of that, but more payoff in the "Juliette needs hard work" arena. At some point, the crazy will hit the fan.

I wasn't surprised by Will....there has been foreshadowing about his biceps and gym habits and appearance concerns.

Damn, Esten can always turn on those tears! Just love him.

Maisy did a great job with both the crying scene and the song. She is a lovely, normal looking young girl. Lennon scares me more every week, particularly with in that little ad that aired in the first half hour.

Edited by Moxie Cat
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Moxie Cat said:

I also don't understand the Maddie storyline. Was he in Nashville? Did she fly to LA? Isn't she still like 17 or so? Why is anyone expecting her to drink at clubs? It's like the show wants you to think she's 25 at this point.

Yes! I can't figure it out. That douchey kid flew her back to Nashville from L.A. on his private plane last week, so why is he in Nashville now? He's some kind of pop singer, right? He doesn't live in Nashville.

And apparently she's not in school because no one ever mentions it, nor does she ever go, but did she graduate? I don't care about her being god's gift to pop country or whatever, but let's nail down some basic facts about her life.

Poor Daphne.

29 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

And apparently she's not in school because no one ever mentions it, nor does she ever go, but did she graduate? I don't care about her being god's gift to pop country or whatever, but let's nail down some basic facts about her life.

She got emancipated and maybe her GED (not sure about that part) during that season when she was buddies with the Jessy Schram character and fighting with Rayna and Deacon about performing. I think the writers believe that gives them leeway to write her as an adult now. But, she isn't.

Asking the country music fans: is Lennon's look an attempt to fit in as a country music star? Are they all blonde and full of makeup? I have wondered if that is the reason for her appearance but I don't really know country beyond the biggest names.

This final season is just.. a lot of me going “what?” Like Scarlett has an obsession with horses, Will does steriods(I’m still lost on why he’s the jerk in the BREAKUP with him and Zach).

Everything else is meh. I hate cult storylines. My very first cult storyline was when I was a kid and it was BMW when Shawn went to a cult and they talked about hugging all

the time to solve problems and even as a child, I knew it was messed up. I didn’t realize a lot of shows do cult storylines for when they run out of stories to tell. But seriously Juliette has had enough happen to her in this show. She really has. Some of it she may have brought on herself but some of it was(bad) luck of the draw. 

• Love 1

With Gunner interrupting Will and his hookup going at it---and catching him shooting up---they need to stop having these intimate scenes.  Even though there's nothing teasing about them.  EVERYTHING is teasing about them.

• Love 1

This really is bizarro Nashville these days. It's like the writers, stylists and actors just decided to mess with whatever suckers are still watching. Dip some actors in a vat of peroxide, introduce a cult, have a steroid storyline come out of nowhere, toss in some horses for the hell of it, so strange.

Only good part was Zach leaving, along with the non-existent Rachel Bilson character. 

They should have ended the show on ABC. We only had 1 song this week, and nope, I'm not counting Blondie and Beiber's duet. Thankfully we had Maisey singing, but it also showed how much better this show could have been without the storylines that make zero sense. Ugh. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

She got emancipated and maybe her GED (not sure about that part) during that season when she was buddies with the Jessy Schram character and fighting with Rayna and Deacon about performing. I think the writers believe that gives them leeway to write her as an adult now. But, she isn't.

Asking the country music fans: is Lennon's look an attempt to fit in as a country music star? Are they all blonde and full of makeup? I have wondered if that is the reason for her appearance but I don't really know country beyond the biggest names.

There was discussion around her getting her GED during the emancipation business so I'm assuming she did go ahead and get that.

I'm almost positive there was some discussion - not major, like a throwaway line or something - this season about her being 18.  But she is 18 in real life and they've pretty much mirrored both girls' real ages on the show.  So in some ways she is an adult, in that she can vote, and being emancipated, she can enter into contracts, etc. on her own behalf.  But as far as the drinking thing, she didn't take a drink so I have to think it's a combination of the fact that she knows she's not old enough and, duh, her dad's an alcoholic, so she may steer clear for that reason too.

No, Lennon's look has nothing to do with trying to fit in as a country star, because she's trying to be a pop artist, in real life and on the show.  The only country artist I'm familiar with that really packs on the makeup is Carrie Underwood.  My Nordstrom personal shopper has seen her in the Nashville store several times and no matter how dressed down she is, she always has a boatload of makeup on.  Whether Lennon is imitating her or not, I have no clue, but I'm just guessing not.  But it's not a "country thing".  And Lennon/Maddie isn't trying to be a country artist anyway.

I'm actually enjoying the season.  I wouldn't watch if I wasn't.

14 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

1 hour ago, piratewench said:

No, Lennon's look has nothing to do with trying to fit in as a country star, because she's trying to be a pop artist, in real life and on the show.  The only country artist I'm familiar with that really packs on the makeup is Carrie Underwood.  My Nordstrom personal shopper has seen her in the Nashville store several times and no matter how dressed down she is, she always has a boatload of makeup on.  Whether Lennon is imitating her or not, I have no clue, but I'm just guessing not.  But it's not a "country thing".  And Lennon/Maddie isn't trying to be a country artist anyway.

I've also been wondering about how Lennon's look fit into the genre of music she's going for, and whether the changes have been driven by her or by her management/record label. Obviously if Lennon's heart is set on pop, she should pursue that, but I think if she chooses that route she'll be nothing special. She has a lovely voice and plays guitar, so when the show first started I was envisioning her as a fresh-faced folk singer-songwriter, kind of a Joni Mitchell lite. Perhaps Maisy will still go that route.

The Jessie character is really starting to bother me.  I get that she's supposed to be a bit insecure because of her ex-husband, etc.  But she is just so dithering.  Move forward a step, oh gee I don't know, we better take a step back....  I don't know if they think the indecision and 'coyness' is cute or not, but it's annoying to me and I could not imagine a lifetime of that.  I also found it bothersome that all of a sudden, the CEO (I don't always remember names) has decided to run for the Senate.  Wants to improve life in California.  Well, maybe he should have been living there then.  And, if his big concern is California then maybe he should run for the State Senate rather than the U.S. Senate.  Oh well, at least he's gone.

I'm in it until the end, but I so want positive resolutions to the drahma that the writers have introduced.

This cult shit better be wrapped by next episode! We are all over it...... not that we were ever under it. I'd quicker believe another suicide plot than this tomfoolery. It's not believable and most importantly, it's not interesting. This season is pretty boring so far. I'm only watching because I've been here from the very beginning and because I actually like a few of the actors. The writing..... smh. What are these storylines?

How is Zach in the promo photoshoot and all that, only to leave well before mid season? Not that I care. He can stay gone. As for Scarlette, if she's not up on stage with a mic in front her face, I don't really care what else she's doing. Just when you thought she couldn't get anymore annoying.... she's off to the stables next week. Do this bitch got a trust fund? How is she eating? *YAWN*

I don't know whose idea it was to have ALL of the cast going through major transitions at the same time, but it's silly. A musical show, yet no one is recording, no one is on tour..... Out here doing lil gigs like has beens or wannabees. Everyone is busy finding themselves. Really Nashville????

Every time I see Maddie on screen, I think she's a Kardashian. Takes me a minute to remember it's Nashville. I wish her luck in her Pop career but original she's not.

I was a huge fangirl in the beginning now just seeing it through. High hopes with new writers were dashed on the rocks of desperation.

I would imagine that the leader of a cult would be charismatic (see: Charles Manson, Jim Jones, etc.-they may gross me out but many who witnessed them said they were charismatic).  This guy is just boring.  Even Howie Mandel who played a cult leader in a Monk episode demonstrate charisma. 

On 1/20/2018 at 9:17 PM, Moxie Cat said:

I think the writers believe that gives them leeway to write her as an adult now. But, she isn't.

She is.  They already indicated this was about a year later and she's 18 now.  In the very first episode that was all about "First New Year's without Mom" thing.

On 1/20/2018 at 9:17 PM, Moxie Cat said:

Not all country music female stars are blondes with troweled on makeup. As Dolly Parton says, "It takes a lot of money to look this cheap."

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

There was some contention over the summer on Lennon and Maisy's Facebook page as to whether Lennon had had work done on her lips. Their mother took over the account for a bit to go ape-shit on all who suggested it. Whether she did or didn't, it doesn't suit her. She's a beautiful girl who doesn't need any help.

This episode sucked to me. The only good things were Zach leaving and Deacon and Scarlett's scene at his old house. "She ain't Rayna," made me tear up instantly. 

I don't get the Will storyline playing into jealousy over Zach's new boyfriend. Will is way more in shape that that guy. 

That whole Juliette trainwreck is hard to watch. I've been over her melodrama since season 3 honestly, and feel like the show has totally wasted her talent. Too late now though, I suppose. 

I feel like my comment every week is the same.  But seriously, FREE Avery.  

Or at least get him back together with Will and Gunner because I like those three and if he is saddled with crazy pants who never makes any progress at all and always blows up her life... he should at least get to have some fun in his off time.

Free Avery.   

I'd really like just once before the end of this series for Juliette to show up for him without being crazy or jealous or bored.

47 minutes ago, bybrandy said:

I feel like my comment every week is the same.  But seriously, FREE Avery.  

Or at least get him back together with Will and Gunner because I like those three and if he is saddled with crazy pants who never makes any progress at all and always blows up her life... he should at least get to have some fun in his off time.

Free Avery.   

I'd really like just once before the end of this series for Juliette to show up for him without being crazy or jealous or bored.

I totally agree, and I'd like to see Juliette just show up for him in any way. Has she ever watched him perform after Season 2? (Even then, wasn't she drunk at that sobriety event?) Last season when it should been about him being on tour, it was all about her. SHe has a jet. Why didn't she go watch him perform? And I'll bet she never sees him perform this year either. I'd be pretty resentful, if I were Avery. How many times has he been backstage watching her?

What has Lennon done to her face?

It's very distracting, especially in the scenes when she's standing next to her sister. They are completely different colors now. Their skin tone - they don't even look related anymore.