Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E11: Fort Rozz

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Kara has the worst-kept secret identity in the super-hero universe.  Literally everyone at the DEO knows she's Supergirl.  Add sloppiness like you just pointed out and Kara might as well go Fantastic Four style and drop the pretense.  Of course that would out Cousin Kal as well since it's been put out there that Kara and Clark are kin folk.  Messy, as the kids say.

Last episode they were talking about "Clark" at the DEO. Seems foolish to me, but maybe they all need to know his secret identity in case they need to find him to help with an emergency. Like a Worldbreaker or something.

I was kind of expecting it to be revealed who Reign is this week, as she was freaking out after Psi whammied her. I wish they would just get on with the reveal already. We have already spent a pretty large chunk of time building up the Sam/Reign stuff, and with so many characters just flapping in the breeze now, I wish we could get a bit more focused, and get to the whole inevitable "I cant kill my new BFF!" drama for Kara? 

Sometimes, it almost feels like the show has zero confidence in its built up characters, because they keep building arcs for totally new characters, leaving the old ones in the dust. Last year it was Mon-El, and this year its Sam/Reign, with a side of Ruby. Not that I might new characters, and Sam is alright, and I am probably one of the few people who didn't loath Mon-El (he works fine as a supporting player, but there was WAY too much of him last year), but I wish we got more from the characters we already know (Alex, Winn, James, etc.) before focusing huge amounts of screen time on new people. Like, I think Brainy and Imra are working out just fine, because they're supporting characters who sometimes get some focus, not the sudden New Star of the Show. With Mon-El and Sam, suddenly, they're a huge part of Kara's life, and getting tons of screen time and building a big relationship with Kara (He is her new true love! She is her new best friend!) and that means everyone else is relegated to exposition dropping and maybe a romance subplot, when they arent in the background. Probably the most interesting stuff Winn has gotten all season was in the crossover, and it wasn't even our Winn, and it wasn't even this show!

I just feel like there should be a balance here. Introducing new characters is fine, but with Sam and Mon-El, its almost like Poochie showing up to steal the show, before returning to his home planet. 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, UNOSEZ said:

She's a Bollywood actress so it may be tinged with whatever Indian dialects she speaks with for her other parts 

I suppose, but she moved to England from the Isle of Man when she was 2 and to India as an adult and doesn't speak Hindi (or presumably any Indian languages).

1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

She's "Imra" not "Irma."

Does Amy Jackson's British accent sound different then those customarily heard on tv to anyone else? I cant explain it, but it's unique to my experience.

Well this just proves my point because I couldn't even get the spelling right.  Ha ha  

Edited by Stuffy
2 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

So did Kara unwittingly contribute to the death of all the men aboard Fort Rozz? You'd think that would weigh on her conscious a bit.

You would have though that someone would have brought that up at some point during the DEO meeting. There had to have been some male aliens/Kryptonians still in Fort Rozz.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:
3 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

So did Kara unwittingly contribute to the death of all the men aboard Fort Rozz? You'd think that would weigh on her conscious a bit.

You would have though that someone would have brought that up at some point during the DEO meeting. There had to have been some male aliens/Kryptonians still in Fort Rozz.

We did see one dead male when the women entered Fort Rozz.

2 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

But Kara didn't seem to come across as feeling all that guilty for causing their deaths.

That's exactly my point.  She obviously had a greater goal at the time, but the way she's been written up to then, she should have a large amount of repressed guilt inside.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, KirkB said:

Actually, Supergirl only had to get it away from Earth's gravity and it would keep moving at the same velocity until some outside force acted on it. In space, once something starts moving it keeps moving until it hits something or comes too close to another source of gravity. It wouldn't have to be fast, just consistent. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure a year and a half, or however long its been since the end of the first season, is not even remotely enough time for Fort Rozz to make it all the way to another star system. It wouldn't even be anywhere near Andromeda, which is our closest neighbor I believe.

Andromeda isn't a star. It's a constellation made up of stars, although I suspect you may be thinking of the Andromeda GALAXY, which is some two million light-years away.

The nearest star to the Earth is Alpha Centauri at a mere 4 1/2 light-years away. It's yellow and would not rob Kara of her powers or be fatal to any male.  The next nearest one after that is Sirius (aka the Dog Star for its prominent position in Canis Major, the Great Dog).  It's about 8 1/2 light-years away and white in color.  The nearest blue star appears to be Rigel in the constellation of Orion.  It's about 860 light-years away.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 2
37 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

But Kara didn't seem to come across as feeling all that guilty for causing their deaths.

Do we even know that it was her push caused the ship to end up across the galaxy?

My other theory is that one (some?) of the prisoners piloted the ship away from Earth and its solar system.

22 hours ago, KirkB said:

As an electrical being who was sort of explicitly linked into Fort Rozz's power system when she hit the wall, she could conceivably reconstitute somewhere along the line. And maybe be pissed she was abandoned.

I am really, really hoping for a Lazarus Capacitor.

Yeah, I definitely noticed that in an episode that was all about going the extra mile in believing that Reign can be saved we probably had a huge death toll. 

To be honest, in season 1 I assumed that the prison was mostly abandoned, that almost everyody had escaped. And now there's still dozens of people living on it? And Kara shot them into space to slowly run them out of energy and probably eventually die of starvation? And now the rest of them fall into the star? 

Even if the prisoners hadn't died of starvation, the alternative would have been to crash on a planet and cause havoc there. 

I don't think the writers really thought that thruogh considering the message of the episode. 

• Love 1
On 1/23/2018 at 6:34 AM, BooBear said:

I miss her but I won't miss that HORRIBLE wig. Assuming the actress has a better gig. 

Really like Brainy.. he will be a great love interest for Kara. 

That wig was amazing in how horrible it was. We all mourn the loss of the worst wig this side of Liz on The Blacklist

Somehow Mon El has gotten even more useless and screen hogging this season than he was last. Didn't think that was possible. Can we kill him off and just keep Imra?
Supergirl has gotten pretty one note. Doesn't feel like we've seen much of Catco lately...half the cast seem like guest stars...and the same two storylines get dragged on forever.

Too bad about livewire but it was pretty much telegraphed from the start. Would have liked to see her reunite with Cat one last time though. Really miss Cat's wisdom and zingers. Manel as the wise soudingboard just doesn't do it for me.

I'm over this Reign reveal getting dragged out so it better be coming soon. It has no emotional impact on me whatsoever though because Sam and the kid became part of the family overnight. She gets hired by Lena and the week after she's her and Kara's best friend? Okay...

• Love 3
On 1/22/2018 at 8:05 PM, Winston Wolfe said:

Solid episode, well-balanced and with good pacing.  Snark time: at least the writers found a fairly creative way to side-line MM this time.

Creative? More like pathetic. I'd say it was the most pathetically transparent way to avoid having J'onn around if it weren't for the fact that just 2 episodes ago he was sidelined for no reason whatsoever while Kara got her butt kicked from one side of National City to the next. Really, it was just an excuse to bring in Livewire and Psi for an episode, and a pretty bad one.

On 1/23/2018 at 0:50 PM, iMonrey said:

What was the point of even sending Supergirl if she doesn't have her powers? Because they thought she could successfully wrangle Livewire and Psi? Or they thought she could talk some sense into Rozz? That seems . . . counter-intuitive.

Counter-intuitive in more ways than one. Not only do they bring along the one person that everybody living on that Fort hates to a place where she doesn't even have her powers, but they also decide for no apparent reason to bring along 2 supervillianesses both of whom have good reason to want Supergirl dead to a place that, again, Supergirl doesn't have her powers. The fact that the whole thing went off as Kara expected instead of having the Livewire and Psi go and kill the other two girls and joyride across the universe in the Legion's super advanced ship the first chance they got is about as unbelievable as it gets. Especially since their motivation for actually going with Kara was to help get rid of Reign, getting the hell away from her would've been just as good.

• Love 3

screen hogging this season than he was last. 

He barely had any screentime since he returned? Especially not compared to last season? 

tumblr_p1fs7gxcLe1w6itwwo1_1280.png

tumblr_p2qbkpd51K1w6itwwo1_1280.png

The only episode he had significant screentime in so far was the episode he returned in. 

tumblr_ozso8im4kE1w6itwwo1_1280.png

https://supergirlstats.tumblr.com/

Compare that to Brainaic who cheerfully got more screentime than Kara in his very first episode. 

Edited by tinnefoil
3 hours ago, immortalfrieza said:

Creative? More like pathetic. I'd say it was the most pathetically transparent way to avoid having J'onn around if it weren't for the fact that just 2 episodes ago he was sidelined for no reason whatsoever while Kara got her butt kicked from one side of National City to the next. Really, it was just an excuse to bring in Livewire and Psi for an episode, and a pretty bad one.

That was me being facetious.  I'm so disgusted by the writers having established MM as the "most powerful being on the Planet," as per Kal-El, only to subsequently make him slightly less useless than Mon-El.

7 hours ago, CloudySky said:

Somehow Mon El has gotten even more useless and screen hogging this season than he was last. Didn't think that was possible. Can we kill him off and just keep Imra?
Supergirl has gotten pretty one note.

Agreed.  Things had been fairly promising in this post-CBS universe, now it seems like the Showrunners have lost their way.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 1

Continuing to enjoy this season (and episode) immensely.

Loved the all girls mission without any harping about girl power. It took me a while to get used to the new sedate Mon El but I think I like him more. Even the whole slightly pining Mon El/Kara thing they have going is not bad. It doesn't scream endless drama and everyone is being decent about it. I am enjoying the maturity in contrast to the weird childishness that was last season.

Still like Brainy even if he was a bit arrogant in this episode! I really like the actor! He makes Brainy a bit naive in his arrogance rather than an ass! 

So sad about Livewire. 

• Love 1
On 1/22/2018 at 9:33 PM, Oreo2234 said:

Livewire was possibly the most entertaining Supergirl villain, and she would have been a good occasional ally, so its a shame they killed her off. I wonder if that was the actresses' choice? Although Supergirl has a real problem with killing off potentially good/great villains after an episode so maybe were lucky she lasted this long. 

Maybe I'm wrong but don't Kryptonians also get powers from blue stars (or pretty much any star but red) in the comics?

Not only do Kryptonians get powers under a blue sun they become even more powerful, Superman actually gained "Superman Vision" which allowed him to temporarily give ordinary humans the same powers as himself.

• Love 1

Sam becoming the immediate best friend of Kara, Alex and Lena really blunts the impact of the storyline. She was in town for 10 minutes and is now their best friend such that her death will be devastating to them and to us? Nope. I am looking forward to someone (Alex?) figuring out that Sam is Reign. 

I liked LiveWire and felt badly at her sacrifice. Will not feel the same if Sam ends up sacrificing herself to save her daughter - which I suspect is how this story will end. We haven't known Sam long enough because of the "instant best friend" decision. 

I liked the Ruby/Alex scenes - Alex scaring off the bully was great. 

31 minutes ago, LisaM said:

Sam becoming the immediate best friend of Kara, Alex and Lena really blunts the impact of the storyline. She was in town for 10 minutes and is now their best friend such that her death will be devastating to them and to us? Nope. I am looking forward to someone (Alex?) figuring out that Sam is Reign. 

Well first off I think Lena knew same.. That's wht she promoted her when lena took over catco.. Second sometimes you become friendly quickly.. My best friend In the world someone I talk to every-day is a guy who was friends with some ppl I was cool with.. One day we all hung out together and that was that by the end if that week we had already crashed at each other's cribs and knew each others parents.. Add to that Sam was there when ppl tried to shoot Lena helped kara prove Lena hadn't poisoned the kids and that kara Alex and lena don't seem to interact with many other females... Quick bond.. I buy it.. Abd what's not to like abt Sam? 

5 minutes ago, UNOSEZ said:

Abd what's not to like abt Sam? 

I actually like Sam and hope that there is some way for the Reign story to end with Sam still being alive and in town. I doubt it but I would like it. 

I also have someone with whom I became best friends very quickly. My point is that we didn't seem to see that here; I didn't feel the closeness between Sam and the others until we were told that they were BFF. 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, LisaM said:

I also have someone with whom I became best friends very quickly. My point is that we didn't seem to see that here; I didn't feel the closeness between Sam and the others until we were told that they were BFF

Well I feel like they showed the bones of a burgeoning friendship.. They hung out at Ruby's school thing.. Drinks at kara and maybe also at lena's...  If they had shown more ppl would be complaining that in a super-hero show were getting tons of girl time.. And as the CW wants us to forget season one.. Kara spends no time with James or Winn.. We saw the alternative(Mon-El all the time) so I'd say this is better. 

I really liked that Sam's worst nightmare was something happening to Ruby.  The writers have done a good job of humanizing Sam and showing how she's trapped in something she never asked for even if the friendship has gone from 0 to 60 in two episodes.  The actress is doing a good job of it too, and that's essential to selling the story.  She's come a long way since House.

On 1/23/2018 at 11:54 AM, Winston Wolfe said:

I'm still "meh" on Mon-EL, but this cast is too crowded as it is, no way should the Legion hang around.  Despite popular opinion I still believe Imra bites the dust if Mon-El is in fact staying on as a regular.

If I have a choice, I'd rather keep Imra than Mon El. I liked the all women team-up in this episode and I'm enjoying the character and the actress.

Also, the show has a problem with superpowered male characters because it tends to either right them as better than Supergirl (Superman, Mon El) or works overtime to keep them down (J'onn).  They might do better with another female.

I'm going to miss Brainiac.

• Love 1

One thing I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned is that Streaky was the wrong color and breed.  He should have been orange with yellow zig-zag streaks down his sides, not black. And he was a shorthaired breed, not a longhaired breed.  But what can I expect when James is not a red-headed Scandinavian, Lucy, Lena, and Imra are brunettes instead of blondes, and Brainiac-5 is bluish-green with platinum hair rather than green with blond hair?  It makes me wonder what Comet will look like when/if HE shows up! 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

He should also have superpowers....

Not necessarily. He only had them in the comics because Supergirl accidentally gave them to him when he was exposed to X-Kryptonite, which she had unknowingly created while trying to develop something that would neutralize Green Kryptonite radiation.  When young Kara was raising THIS Streaky, she wouldn't have been experimenting with Kryptonite, so there's no way that she could have given him superpowers.  Comet, on the other hand, is a different matter.  He obtained his powers in ancient Greece (where he was originally from) from Circe (yes, THAT Circe!).