Type keyword(s) to search

Continuity, Nitpicks, Unanswered Questions and Timeline Headaches: When Did That Honeycrisp Apple Come From

• Start Topic

Were the ordinary folks even asked if they wanted to return to Storybrooke or were they just scooped up by the new spell?

I doubt they were because Snowing was trying to keep Zelena from knowing about the curse.

The Worst Ruling Couple of the Year award goes to...

Edited by KingOfHearts

Sorry.  It still goes to Regina and her Ego.  There was torture, and village slaughter, and then the curse.

We can give Snow and Charming second place, though?

• Love 1

I think it's a tie. Regina is a horrible ruler 'cause you know, mass murder is bad (except on this show when it's just a minor inconvenience) and cursing a civilization is bad. And Snowing are horrible rulers because they caught the mass murderer and then let her go because they felt bad for her and thought that she wasn't gonna harm anyone else if she couldn't directly harm Snowing (despite the mass graves(!!!!) which prove contrary. Morons) and also for cursing a civilization. They should all be deposed with extreme prejudice. 

Edited by FabulousTater
  • Love 2

I mentioned this on the All Seasons thread, but I'm curious: What was up with Walsh and Emma? Was he being forced as a slave for Zelena to court Emma? He came across as pretty mean when he dropped the act, so was he a true believer who'd been Stockholm Syndromed? If he was just on assignment and doing what Zelena demanded because he was afraid of what she'd do to him (like Philip and Aurora), you'd think he would have shown fear or sadness instead of snarling. Did he have any feelings at all for her, or was it just an act? Would he have carried through on the wedding? Why was it so important for his mission (or for him) that they get engaged? He was pushing really hard. How would them being married have kept her away from interfering in Zelena's scheme?

I guess if Zelena's scheme had worked, it would have been a moot point because Emma would have been wiped from existence before the wedding, but really, the more I think about what Walsh was doing there, the less it makes any sense at all, and it makes even less sense once they reveal that he was the Wizard of Oz, who'd been enslaved by Zelena.

I could make snarky jokes about Chris Gorham's characters and ill-fated weddings, but ... ;)

But yeah. As much as I liked the idea of Walsh, I think it would have been less headache-inducing if he'd just been some random guy whom Emma had met and fallen in love with. You still could have had the whole "Emma's happiness is taken away by Savior Duty" thing, even if it wasn't "you were never safe." Because it kind of feels like they just threw the "you were never safe" in there so her "I miss my life in New York" refrain wouldn't hold as much water since it was literally all an illusion.

If it was a normal guy that Emma had truly fallen in love with, they would have to deal with Emma getting over him in 3B.  And in the writer's eyes, the boyfriend being a flying monkey meant Emma did not need to get over or process any emotional feeling and could move right along with Hook as if the missing year hadn't happened.

• Love 1

If she had just met Walsh, and that was her first date with him, it would have made more sense. Zelena would have sent him off to kill to Emma after getting to Storybrooke (which fixes the world jumping plot hole), Walsh would have been working to get closer to Emma, and the ickiness factor would have been far less. The proposal was an angst device, and the fact she dated a fake dude for eight months makes me tilt my head.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 2

Emma and Walsh had zero chemistry. I couldn't buy that Emma was in love with him. It seemed more like she thought he might make a decent step-dad to Henry. And I agree KoH, that should have been a first date. As is, it leaves too many plot holes (how did he get there, and how did he open a furniture store, or even get an SSN?), and makes Emma look a little idiotic. Are we supposed to think Emma killed him? She doesn't even know he was the Wizard of Oz. It was pointless angst to delay CS getting together.

• Love 3

I've said it before, but I think the easiest explanation would be if she didn't.

In my head canon, Walsh actually showed up shortly before, right around the time Storybrooke reappeared, because then the "walls"  were crossable.  Zelena sent him to New York to keep Emma and her white magic away.

Emma and Henry had a memory spell on them, so Zelena gave him a potion or something to slip them that incorporated Walsh into their memory spell--it built out into the real year, kind of like Dawn poofed into the Scoobies memories in BtVS.

Side note:  If we're just talking missing year monarchs, and not overall series monarchs, you're right, KingOfHearts.  Regina and her Ego were only advisors, and are not in the running. ; )

Edited by Mari
  • Love 2

I've said it before, but I think the easiest explanation would be if she didn't.

In my head canon, Walsh actually showed up shortly before, right around the time Storybrooke reappeared, because then the "walls"  were crossable.  Zelena sent him to New York to keep Emma and her white magic away.

Emma and Henry had a memory spell on them, so Zelena gave him a potion or something to slip them that incorporated Walsh into their memory spell--it built out into the real year, kind of like Dawn poofed into the Scoobies memories in BtVS.

This is actually my head canon and I'm sticking to it.

• Love 1

And Emma's superpower fails again if she dated Walsh for eight months and never knew that there was anything fishy about him, that he didn't really love her, that he was only there to keep an eye on her. She believed in her superpower when Hook showed up. Didn't her spidey sense tell her anything about Walsh?

I just wish they'd done more with the fact that he was the Wizard. Why bother having the Wizard be the one to date her instead of Random Monkey #4587 if it doesn't mean anything? You'd think that when all the other monkeys poofed back into their human forms, Walsh would have shown up, too, and then he could have taken a balloon back to Kansas, or whatever. If they wanted angst between Hook and Emma, let Walsh be grateful she (oops, she didn't do it) broke the spell and freed him, let her have some closure as he apologizes to her for the fake relationship and talks about what Zelena did to him, and let that make Hook a bit jealous. Just something. Or why bother?

• Love 3

If they wanted angst between Hook and Emma, let Walsh be grateful she (oops, she didn't do it) broke the spell and freed him, let her have some closure as he apologizes to her for the fake relationship and talks about what Zelena did to him, and let that make Hook a bit jealous. Just something. Or why bother?

Walsh and Emma should have met at least once afterwards. It would bring some closure for Emma to know she was dating a real person, not just a monster. Eight months is a long time to pull off a fake relationship. There had to be more stuff happening in that time besides just going on dates. The whole ordeal and flying monkey twist just felt really shallow.

I can't tell you how mad I was that all the Oz characters, minus Zelena, were just plot devices. Dorothy, Walsh, Glinda, the other witches - all just plot devices. I could tell the authors had no interest in the Oz universe at all. They just threw the franchise in to prop up the iconic Wicked Witch of the West.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 2
I can't tell you how mad I was that all the Oz characters, minus Zelena, were just plot devices. Dorothy, Walsh, Glinda, the other witches - all just plot devices. I could tell the authors had no interest in the Oz universe at all. They just threw the franchise in to prop up the iconic Wicked Witch of the West.

And in the end, Zelena was just a plot device to prop up and launch into the demigod orbit Woegina The Pure, Queen of All Heartless, No Regrets, That's Not Blood On My Hands It's Strawberry Jam, Goodness and Light. 

• Love 6

Snowing lost all credibility as sensible rulers when they allied with Regina. Snow said it would give people hope, but if I were a peasant, that would definitely not give me hope, it'd scare the life out of me. If Snowing allied with the Evil Queen who was a mass murderer and made everything in her power to kill Snow and destroy their happiness, I'd think that either Snow was forced/brainwashed/blackmailed into doing it, or had turned crazy or evil herself.

Snow also thought announcing they were having another child would give people hope. There's a wicked witch terrorizing the land, but hey, at least we have a baby heir on the way. That'd certainly make the peasants not worry about the WW. The last time they had a child the curse came (but well at least she broke it too) and this child was literally the reason for the second curse.

They care too much about their TL and not enough about everyone else. Like in 2.21 when Grumpy said she sacrificed herself for all of them, when actually Snow didn't even mention them, she took the apple to only save Charming. She could've at least pleaded for her friends/people too. How she even believed she wouldn't kill Charming/everyone after she ate the apple is another story.

About Walsh, I think the reason he was there was to give Emma some more "happiness" so she wouldn't want to leave. Note that Walsh proposed the same day that Hook showed up. And it almost worked. It was also to show us that Emma wanted a romantic relationship and marriage. And then the usual, that the savior can't be happy and some CS angst though they only had 1 conversation about him and Emma got over him pretty quickly even though she said he broke her heart.

As why he seemed so mean after the reveal, well, maybe working for Zelena for so long made him evil, or maybe he was just angry he had failed because Zelena would kill him. What I don't understand is why he turned into a monkey right there and try to kill her. Wasn't it that Emma couldn't be killed??

I have a question of my own about the Pilot and Witch Hunt. In the pilot we are told of Emma's superpower, and she uses it on Regina at the end when she asks her if she loves Henry. Regina says of course she does, Emma decides that she's lying and that's why she stays in Storybrooke. Then we find out throughout the series that Regina does love Henry. OK, so Emma's superpower may not have worked as it's not perfect. But in Witch Hunt Emma tells Regina that when it comes to her, she always knows when she's lying. So...I don't understand. I guess the writers forgot about the pilot but how can they forget about such an important moment?

• Love 2

But in Witch Hunt Emma tells Regina that when it comes to her, she always knows when she's lying. So...I don't understand. I guess the writers forgot about the pilot but how can they forget about such an important moment?

They had that moment of bonding between Emma and Regina in 3B so they could destroy it by the season finale. They don't care about continuity. All they care about is to make the point they want in that arc or episode. lol

Maybe Emma's superpower when it comes to Regina has to do with trust?  Regina might've been telling the truth about loving Henry but she was so smarmy that Emma might not have trusted what her lie detector was telling her.

It's like when she met Hook and she knew he was lying, but then when they found the compass and she left him behind, she told him she couldn't take a chance that she was wrong about him.  I think it might be the same thing.

Maybe Emma's superpower when it comes to Regina has to do with trust?  Regina might've been telling the truth about loving Henry but she was so smarmy that Emma might not have trusted what her lie detector was telling her.

It's like when she met Hook and she knew he was lying, but then when they found the compass and she left him behind, she told him she couldn't take a chance that she was wrong about him.  I think it might be the same thing.

I think the problem is that the writers tend to forget/gloss over when it's not convenient Emma's superpower. In those two instances, though, their intent was kinda clear:

1. in the Pilot, Regina was 100% lying. Like, whatever, retcon it all you want A&E, when you wrote it you meant Emma's power to work and Regina to be lying.
  2. in Tallahassee, her superpower was meant to work. However, being with Hook reminded her of what she felt being with Neal, and she thought her superpower was faulty with Neal (all the times he told her he loved her and wanted to be with her, her superpower told her "truth", but then PrisonGate made her think "lie"), so while she believed Hook was telling the truth, she also didn't trust her own instincts because Hook was pinging all her NealAlarms.
  • Love 6

All of this leads me to wonder why she thinks she has a super power to begin with.  She did detect Regina's big lie, and she probably had developed plenty of sense about shifty, devious bail jumpers.  But she knew that her judgment was clouded with regard to Neal.  I think she recognizes whatever ability she has is not foolproof.  It makes things convenient for the writers, as Serena said, and the power is undefined, as Camera One said.  So it's pretty much rendered meaningless to me. 

I think she recognizes whatever ability she has is not foolproof.  It makes things convenient for the writers, as Serena said, and the power is undefined, as Camera One said.  So it's pretty much rendered meaningless to me.

Yeah, I think they've kind of just dwindled her "super power" down to oh, she generally has good intuition. Sometimes. When it's convenient.

Instead of "Emma Swan always gets her man," her catch phrase should be "Emma Swan: 60% of the time, she's correct every time."

• Love 2

I think it just gets back to the inconsistent writing. I think it started as kind of a joke, or a thing adults say to young kids to dazzle them - in fact, didn't she first say it to little Henry? - not that Emma ACTUALLY believes she has a lie detecting "superpower," just that she can *often* tell when people are lying by reading body language.

Over time, though, it seems to have morphed into this idea that Emma sees herself as this superhuman lie detector, and the times it doesn't work is like a Emma mood ring of emotional angst. Maybe it is, but I think why it sounds so tonally "off" is because you have adult characters using the word "superpower," and it comes off as belittling of Emma, or as if Emma herself is slightly batty or full of herself.

I think it just gets back to the inconsistent writing. I think it started as kind of a joke, or a thing adults say to young kids to dazzle them - in fact, didn't she first say it to little Henry? - not that Emma ACTUALLY believes she has a lie detecting "superpower," just that she can *often* tell when people are lying by reading body language.

See, I think the intention for the writers was *actually* to have Emma have a sort of sixth sense (and fwiw, Adam and Eddie have always confirmed that she does, in fact, have an ability to sense lies). Only--par for the course for this show--they didn't think ahead in terms of storyline ramifications, and want people to be able to fool Emma, so they've had to qualify her power in several different stupid ways (or just flat-out forget about it sometimes).

• Love 2

See, I think the intention for the writers was *actually* to have Emma have a sort of sixth sense (and fwiw, Adam and Eddie have always confirmed that she does, in fact, have an ability to sense lies). Only--par for the course for this show--they didn't think ahead in terms of storyline ramifications, and want people to be able to fool Emma, so they've had to qualify her power in several different stupid ways (or just flat-out forget about it sometimes).

Yeah, exactly. I'm pretty sure it was actually supposed to be - if not actual "magic" - something special that being the Saviour gave her. However, when they needed her to act stupid and trust Sidney, they added the "except when she's emotionally involved it doesn't work!" thing. Like she wasn't involved when asking her son's adoptive mother if she loved him?

• Love 4

I think she recognizes whatever ability she has is not foolproof.

That's exactly what she said in 3.13 but she then said it always worked on Regina.

Exact quote: "My super power may not be perfect. But with you, Regina, I always know when you’re lying."

I'm pretty sure apart from the pilot there must've been another times when she believed Regina and she was lying. The writers are just inconsistent.

With Hook it also didn't work in 3.17 but he was saying some true facts so I guess that helped. But then in 3.14 she knew he was lying when he only said one word and she wasn't even looking at him.

I don't even know why I care so much. The writers clearly don't LOL.

I think it started as kind of a joke, or a thing adults say to young kids to dazzle them - in fact, didn't she first say it to little Henry? - not that Emma ACTUALLY believes she has a lie detecting "superpower," just that she can *often* tell when people are lying by reading body language.

I agree. Emma said that to Henry and MM also called it that but with Neal she just called it "that thing with lies" and to Hook she said "I'm pretty good"

So yeah, it's not perfect as it's been mentioned on the show but I agree with stealinghome that that may have been the  original plan but it interfered with their storytelling so they made it not work all the time.

• Love 1
Emma said that to Henry and MM also called it that but with Neal she just called it "that thing with lies" and to Hook she said "I'm pretty good"

Maybe it was the slogan/marketing pitch for her bailbondswoman business:  Hire Emma Swan.  She's pretty good with that thing with lies.

I think this is just another example of knowing what A&E said ruined everything. When I first saw the pilot, I never thought her lie detector was a real otherworldly power. I thought it was just "street smarts" cause she's a bounty hunter and grew up tough or whatever and also a line she gave to people she was hunting. It's a line you see in those tough cop interrogation routine.  It still doesn't make the Sidney thing logical however. She couldn't trust a 10 year old kid but she let down her guard enough to trust this stranger? Yeah whatever A&E.

Then I saw what A&E claimed and thought it was BS but that's their story. The Woegina thing is clearly a retcon. She was right about Tamara so that should've meant she wasn't emotionally involved with Tamara or Neal. And yet an episode later we got that dumb I love you thing.

What was that Oz prophecy about the powerful one coming to Oz in a cyclone and ridding Oz of the greatest evil actually about, and has it even come to pass? Glinda seemed to think it was about Zelena, then Zelena tried to make it about Dorothy, but since Zelena faked her own death, Dorothy didn't really get rid of her. So is there some greater evil that some other person coming to Oz in a cyclone will have to deal with? And will we ever see this? Or was it one of those things where the prophecy didn't mean what they thought it would mean? Maybe by heading to the Enchanted Forest to steal Regina's life, Zelena removed herself from Oz, so that she was the one who saved Oz and the greatest evil all at once.

• Love 2
So is there some greater evil that some other person coming to Oz in a cyclone will have to deal with? And will we ever see this? Or was it one of those things where the prophecy didn't mean what they thought it would mean?

I seriously doubt the writers thought that far ahead.  Why didn't Glinda get transported to Storybrooke?  Will they ever go rescue her?   

• Love 1

What was that Oz prophecy about the powerful one coming to Oz in a cyclone and ridding Oz of the greatest evil actually about, and has it even come to pass?

I was confused by that too. Here's the actual dialog:

Zelena: "The sorceress from another land will make Oz her home until she fulfills her destiny and unseats the greatest evil the realm has ever seen." 

Dorothy isn't a sorceress that we know of, so the only thing that makes sense is that Zelena is both, but I myself find that to be very weak if that's what the writers intended.

Why didn't Glinda get transported to Storybrooke?

My guess is because she was safe in her little pure-of-heart sub realm. I was super bummed she wasn't in Storybrooke.

Speaking of prophecies, what about that "the boy will be your undoing" one about Rumple? Is that yet to be fulfilled?

Edited by KingOfHearts

Speaking of prophecies, what about that "the boy will be your undoing" one about Rumple? Is that yet to be fulfilled?

I think it is supposed to have been fulfilled when he died killing Pan. But of course, the writers have left enough leeway for that plot point to come back. "Henry is STILL Rumple's undoing because he was brought back from death. But with Nealfire gone forever, will Rumple try to kill his grandson again?" dun dun dun

Undone means you get put into a box, right?  

Seriously speaking, I think "the boy will be your undoing" was referring to Rumple having to kill himself to kill Peter Pan to save Henry.

The seer just missed all the stuff that came after.  

EDIT:  LOL, posted at the same time as Rumsy4.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1
Seriously speaking, I think "the boy will be your undoing" was referring to Rumple having to kill himself to kill Peter Pan to save Henry.

He was literally undone, disintegrated, since there was no body.

I don't know that the seer missed what came after. He just assumed there would be no "after" to being undone. That's the tricky thing about prophecies. They can be extremely literal, or they can be metaphorical, and the things you do to try to stop them tend to be what end up bringing them about.

• Love 1

I always figured Tink ended up in Neverland by professing that she 'believed'.  The Blue Fairy said Tink didn't believe in herself, so why should she.  Maybe by screaming "I believe" a few billion times the shadow went against type and took Tink to Neverland?

I always figured Tink ended up in Neverland by professing that she 'believed'.  The Blue Fairy said Tink didn't believe in herself, so why should she.  Maybe by screaming "I believe" a few billion times the shadow went against type and took Tink to Neverland?

I have this headcanon that she heard Pan's pipes in EF because she was "lost" without her wings or fairyhood. They had a conversation, Tink learns Neverland has pixie dust and it's secluded, so she goes off to there with him. As for her actual relationship with Pan, I'd say there was some romantic tension at least from Pan's side, but Pan couldn't go any further with her because kids can't have girlfriends. He likes her so he stays on neutral terms with her.

(Yes I'm thinking about writing a fanfic... Shades of Green.)

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1

I wonder what Hook's old crew thinks about him now that they have their memories back. We know Smee was brought over by the curse, and he mentioned that he and the crew had been talking about getting back into piracy. Hook says he ditched them when he learned the curse was coming. I would imagine they wouldn't be too happy about that.

Really, isn't it weird that there's been a band of pirates in Storybrooke and nobody's noticed? Are they all just passed out drunk at the Rabbit Hole?

• Love 3
Didn't most of Hook's original crew die in Neverland? So these would have been newish recruits?

Likely the gang who was with him in "The Jolly Roger," and if they didn't have the personal loyalty going back to the Navy days, then I imagine they'd have less reason to have any kind of loyalty to him now and certainly wouldn't see any need to obey him. That's if he even wants to associate with them. Which means there's a crew of pirates somewhere in Storybrooke with no real leader and without even the remnants of military discipline the original crew might have had.

They're probably hanging out with all those former Black Knights we've never seen in Storybrooke.

• Love 2
Likely the gang who was with him in "The Jolly Roger," and if they didn't have the personal loyalty going back to the Navy days, then I imagine they'd have less reason to have any kind of loyalty to him now and certainly wouldn't see any need to obey him.

The crew of road pirates Hook had in "The Jolly Roger" bailed on him when he decided to go against Blackbeard. The joke is about him talking about his loyal crew, but the next day, he just has Ariel and Smee left (and there is some  mention about how the others bailed). His road pirates were just with him when he was earning easy money tricking guards into running away (Hook was obviously the brains of that operation).

The crew he abandoned to the curse was Smee  and Blackbeard's crew that decided to stick around after Hook defeated Blackbeard. They probably have no loyalty at all to Hook. They didn't seem to have much to Blackbeard and they probably knew Hook for less time (and he probably wasn't all that pirate-ee after the Ariel stuff by his own admission).  Hook didn't seem to give a fig about them (first ditching them to the curse and making no attempt to gather them up again in Storybrooke), so the feeling is pretty much mutual.  I expect most of them are up to no good (much like Little John who is off robbing stores of cross bows).

• Love 1

Hook had pretty consistently put his crew (s) second to his own desires. "Lieutenant Jones" didn't really give that crew much choice about becoming pirates. I don't recall much discussion about whether they wanted to go to Neverland so he could figure out how to avenge the previous apparent love of his life. So it's not a great surprise he'd ditch this new gang to the Curse 2.0 to be with the current apparent love of his life.

Edited by Amerilla
  • Love 2

Why take them with him if he was going to ditch them anyway ? Honestly, if he had not ditched his crew, he would have had a mutiny in his hands when he told them he was going to trade the Jolly Roger for a Magic Bean.

• Love 2

They're probably hanging out with all those former Black Knights we've never seen in Storybrooke.

I always figured that their hearts were in Regina's vault--the Black Knights, I mean.

Maybe they're keeping a low profile, now.  If Regina doesn't focus on them, or notice them, she's not as likely to kill them?

I always figured that their hearts were in Regina's vault--the Black Knights, I mean.

That would make sense.  They still haven't answered whose hearts Regina owned.  Why execute Marion?  Why not just take her heart and then see if she reveals where Snow lives?  When is Regina going to give everyone back their hearts, since she's now a "hero"? What about all the hearts that Cora took?  

That would make sense.  They still haven't answered whose hearts Regina owned.  Why execute Marion?  Why not just take her heart and then see if she reveals where Snow lives?  When is Regina going to give everyone back their hearts, since she's now a "hero"? What about all the hearts that Cora took?

Great point!  I'd like to see someone challenge her to give them all back.  Preferably Henry.  Then she can show how much she's changed and how "light" and full of love she is.

P.S.  I've always hated the heart-ripping.  Vile thing for a family show.

Edited by ShadowFacts
  • Love 2

When Snow told Charming that she had indeed ruined Regina's life in Snow Falls/Drifts, she didn't know about Daniel having died yet. Did she mean that if it wasn't for her, Regina would've never married Leopold, which made her miserable? Or was she supposed to know about Daniel and then the writers changed their minds?

When Snow told Charming that she had indeed ruined Regina's life in Snow Falls/Drifts, she didn't know about Daniel having died yet. Did she mean that if it wasn't for her, Regina would've never married Leopold, which made her miserable? Or was she supposed to know about Daniel and then the writers changed their minds?

She knew Daniel left. Maybe she thought that was her fault.