Type keyword(s) to search

Continuity, Nitpicks, Unanswered Questions and Timeline Headaches: When Did That Honeycrisp Apple Come From

• Start Topic

My first impression was that it was a very brief time.  But looking back, I'm not so sure--it could've been months, or even years, and the characters wouldn't change, and Shanna Marie has a point about the skills Neal had.  That's not something most people would learn in just a few days.

I think I rely too much on costume and appearance changes, and that particular episode wouldn't be prone to it, because Hook doesn't and, well, Neverland.

I'm inclined to say that Bae was only on the Jolly Roger for a few days upon arriving in Neverland and that Hook and Bae's acquaintance was resumed later, and that may have been when Bae learned a lot more (I already know what we saw Bae being taught, and I'm only useful on the crew of a two-person sailboat on a lake if someone tells me exactly what to do). It doesn't look like he ever moved entirely back to the ship and instead stayed in his cave and maintained his independence, but there could have been visits over the years. They were far too familiar and friendly upon their reunion for the last scene we saw of them together in Neverland to have been the last time they saw each other, and Hook knew way too much about Bae's life in Neverland, including where his hideout was. They referred to each other as "friends," and that wasn't the way things were left from what we saw.

But I suppose it was more important to see Regina getting her pixie dust romance blessing and adopting Henry in a way that didn't add anything to the story than for us to learn anything about the Neverland-related characters while they were actually in Neverland.

• Love 3

Also, They didn't do anything in 3a to indicate that they interacted after Bae was taken off the JR.

There's nothing in canon to indicate they interacted, I agree. I just personally feel like it would defy all probability if they were both in Neverland all those years and never met up again. Tink arrived there at most 10 years before the Curse, yet she was friendly with Hook (who left Neverland at least 2 years before the Curse) and Bae and even somehow gained Pan's trust. So she was there a fraction of the time they were and still formed relationships with all three. This is a fictional universe that has Granny and Gepetto randomly hanging out in the same village before they work together on Snow's war counsel. This is a universe that has Belle and Grumpy meeting at a tavern in the middle of each of their stories. I just don't think it's likely that Hook and Bae did not see each other between the ship and the lobby of Neal's apartment, especially as Neverland seems smaller and less populated than the Enchanted Forest. Neal's "Thanks, man" and acceptance of Hook's help on their Save Henry mission does not gel with Bae's distrust of Hook when he left the ship. Neal still had distrust of his own father in Neverland, but he never accuses Hook of secretly working for Pan, something that would be logical IMO if Neal only knew him as Pan's lackey and the pirate who "killed" his mother.

I would agree, Insert, except for the fact that Bae didn't know the Darlings were in Neverland for all the years they were all there together. They indicated in a couple of instances that Pan kept people isolated unless he needed them for some game or whim.

As for Neal knowing how to pilot the JR, that could be significant, or it could be one of the 234,654,187 continuity gaps and plot holes that now cling to the story like barnacles.

• Love 2
(edited)
Tink arrived there at most 10 years before the Curse, yet she was friendly with Hook (who left Neverland at least 2 years before the Curse) and Bae and even somehow gained Pan's trust. So she was there a fraction of the time they were and still formed relationships with all three. Neal's "Thanks, man" and acceptance of Hook's help on their Save Henry mission does not gel with Bae's distrust of Hook when he left the ship. Neal still had distrust of his own father in Neverland, but he never accuses Hook of secretly working for Pan, something that would be logical IMO if Neal only knew him as Pan's lackey and the pirate who "killed" his mother.

Maybe they didn't do Neverbacks because the events were never worked out?  Tink seemed friendly with Wendy too.  So did Bae left Neverland right before the Curse then?  So approx. stayed 12 years old in Neverland + 28 years = appeared 40 years old when Neal goes to Storybrooke?   

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

Maybe they didn't do Neverbacks because the events were never worked out?  Tink seemed friendly with Wendy too.  So did Bae left Neverland right before the Curse then?  So approx. stayed 12 years old in Neverland + 28 years = appeared 40 years old when Neal goes to Storybrooke?   

I was so annoyed when they made it so Tink and Hook didn't meet until after Tink lost her wings. They could have easily said that what happened with Regina was after Neverland and then Tink returned there in disgrace. It also contradicts Hook's statement in Quite a Common Fairy that he knew a fairy who could help them. I really don't think they thought the missing Neverland years through at all.

I think Neal must have left Neverland after the Curse, or else he would have physically been 32 years old (he was 14 when Rumple became the Dark One) when involved with Emma. As much as I dislike that relationship, I don't think they were going for quite so large of an age gap. It's still possible, though. The wanted poster gave his age as 24, but since Neal would have falsified all of his information when he came to our world, I don't see why he wouldn't give a false age too.

I would agree, Insert, except for the fact that Bae didn't know the Darlings were in Neverland for all the years they were all there together

I think it could go either way, but Pan was deliberately hiding the Darlings from Bae. I don't think there's evidence that he was trying to keep Bae and Hook apart and they both knew the other was in Neverland. Hook at least knew the location of Bae's cave.

• Love 1
I was so annoyed when they made it so Tink and Hook didn't meet until after Tink lost her wings. They could have easily said that what happened with Regina was after Neverland and then Tink returned there in disgrace.  It also contradicts Hook's statement in Quite a Common Fairy that he knew a fairy who could help them.

And that was in the same season too.  That really shows the lack of pre-planning before they even started writing 3A.

He'd actually be a little older, physically.  He was 14 when he left the Enchanted Forest via bean portal (that was the draft age during the Ogre Wars), so if he spent the 28 years of the Curse in our world, he'd have been 25 when he first met Emma, and 42 when he first went to Storybrooke after learning that the Curse had been broken.

(edited)

From what I understand, Neverland's timeline works like this.

-Malcolm and child Rumpel go to Neverland. Malcolm becomes Pan and Rumpel goes back to the EF.

-Hook and Liam go to Neverland and return.

-Hook goes to Neverland after Rumpel killed Milah. Bae was already at London.

-Bae arrives in Neverland, Hook rescues him and they spend time together in the JR. In 2.21 it seemed like it was a few days but I guess it was longer since Bae knew how to sail the Jolly and how to navigate using the stars. Hook also taught him about secrecy and how to code maps. But Hook did say in 3.04 it was a "short time" and that Bae was an apt pupil, so maybe he did learn all that in a few weeks (it's not like they had much else to do)

-Wendy goes to Neverland to save Bae and Pan imprisons her.

-Hook somehow learns about the dagger and for the first time sets foot on the island. He meets Tink, after she had already lost her wings. So 10 or less years (I think it was about a decade between Regina marrying Leopold and the curse, right?) before the curse was cast.

--Hook leaves Neverland about 2 years and half? (the Snow era EF timeline is super confusing) before the curse.

-Bae leaves Neverland about 8 years AFTER the curse if we're to believe his physical age really was 24 (but that doesn't explain how Hook knew Bae got off the island without Pan's permission). The curse and Emma's birth was in 1983 making Emma 17 or 18 in 2001 when she met Neal. If Bae was about 14 when he left Neverland, he would've have to have arrived in 1991 to be 24 in 2001

-Then the Nevengers go to Neverland 29 years after the curse

Edited by MaiLuna
  • Love 1

The curse and Emma's birth was in 1983 making Emma 17 or 18 in 2001 when she met Neal.

I was thinking about the timeline they built with the 2001 date for Emma meeting Neal. Despite attempts by the showrunners to cover the fact that she was underage, this was never in doubt. Emma had a sealed juvenile record for stealing the watches and a 10 year old Henry showed up on Emma's 28th birthday, which always clearly meant that Emma was barely 17 at most when she met Neal. Emma's birthday is October 22, 1983. Considering Henry's age when he showed up on Emma's 28th birthday and that he was not overly premature, Emma and Neal could not have been together all that long before she got pregnant and ended up in jail. Even if their meeting was in very early January, the relationship leading up to Emma's imprisonment couldn't have lasted more than a couple of months at most. That's a very short time when one considers just how devastating the the effects of that relationship were to all involved. 

• Love 2

In the Neal flashbacks, Emma's always wearing glasses, but she never wears glasses now. Did her eyes improve once she passed adolescence? Was she just wearing blank lenses to look smart/as a disguise? Did she get Lasik? Does she wear long-term contact lenses (so she didn't have to mess with them while in the Enchanted Forest and Neverland)?

Aurora was apparently the daughter of the Sleeping Beauty we know of, so what's the story there?

How did David defeat George?

I thought the glasses were a (failed) attempt to make her look younger?  

I had expected them to reveal Aurora's storyline in S2, back when I wasn't fully aware of their propensity for dropping storylines like hot potatoes.  Speaking of which, where was Aurora's baby in "There's No Place Like Home"?  Why was she at the baby naming party?  I suppose Philip must have been taking care of the baby by why not her?  Why was she still wearing the same thing she was turned into a Monkey in?  When is her and Philip's baby naming ceremony?  Why not have a combined one?  

Speaking of which, where was Aurora's baby in "There's No Place Like Home"?

I seem to recall one of the writers saying something about her pregnancy being in stasis while she was a flying monkey, so she was turned back into a human at the point she stopped being a human, which means she's still in the early stages of pregnancy and will end up being pregnant for about a year and a half, poor thing. I guess that's why she's wearing the same clothes if she was poofed back to the way she was. No idea where Philip is.

I'm guessing that the box office success of Maleficent will mean that's the storyline for 4B, and then maybe we'll learn about Aurora's backstory, as well as how they ended up de-wraithing Philip.

I seem to recall one of the writers saying something about her pregnancy being in stasis while she was a flying monkey, so she was turned back into a human at the point she stopped being a human

Thanks for the info.  Typical of them to give "answers" in interviews instead of in-show.  

I wonder if Aurora had a cut scene in the finale.  They brought the actress back just to stand around chatting with Mother Superior in the background?  Kathryn was also criminally underused but at least she had a scene or two in the flashback.

Re: glasses. I believe JMo said that Emma has bad eyesight, like she does (maybe those were Jen's glasses? She may have said that also, and I know lots of young!Emma clothes were Jen's) and that she now wears contact lenses, like Jen does. However, when she was younger and on the run she couldn't afford them, so she wore glasses.

• Love 1

I hope Emma has the really comfortable, super-extended wear lenses that you can wear for a month, for those awkward and inconvenient times when you get sucked through a portal into another world without your contact lens supplies, and she'd better keep some rewetting drops in her pocket at all times.

Typical of them to give "answers" in interviews instead of in-show.

I suspect that's a case of "oh crap, we totally forgot about that." They need a continuity fairy in the writers room to ask them these kinds of questions at the script stage so they can be answered in the show.

I seem to recall one of the writers saying something about her pregnancy being in stasis while she was a flying monkey, so she was turned back into a human at the point she stopped being a human, which means she's still in the early stages of pregnancy and will end up being pregnant for about a year and a half, poor thing. I guess that's why she's wearing the same clothes if she was poofed back to the way she was. No idea where Philip is.

But wait.  Wasn't there a line with Grumpy with Granny about her giving birth and that if it had been a day later, the baby would have been a monkey, then joked about changing those diapers?

So are the writers not keeping track of what the wrote?

No one needs to answer that question.

• Love 1
But wait.  Wasn't there a line with Grumpy with Granny about her giving birth and that if it had been a day later, the baby would have been a monkey, then joked about changing those diapers?

Yep. Except I don't think he actually said she'd given birth, just that it was a good thing she was turned human before she gave birth or the baby might have been a monkey. I don't remember if she looked all that pregnant in the episode, but I think the implication was that she was still pregnant then. And then later the writers said something on Twitter or in an interview about the pregnancy being on pause. I suppose that could just mean that Grumpy had no clue and was merely speculating, going to the worst-case scenario, when in fact there was no danger of a monkey baby.

(edited)

When Hook says Bae was with him a short time, to a 300+ year old pirate 20 years could be "a short time". Particularly when talking about Neverland and the timelessness there.

Edited by daxx
  • Love 1

Oh, I got a good one!  I don't think it's ever been asked.

During Pan's curse, why was the price that Regina had to pay also paid by everyone else?  She couldn't see Henry anymore, but the Charmings couldn't see or be with neither Emma nor Henry.  Hook couldn't see Emma and Neal couldn't be with his son.

How was that Regina's price alone?

(edited)

It's not, but I actually kind of like the fact that the big magical "prices" generally have a far wider reach than just the magic user. Henry paid the price for Regina's use of the magic apple sleeping curse at the end of season one. Hook told Charming the price of the curing Neverland water and Charming accepted it, but it affected Snow, Emma, and Henry as well. Even Neal's price for resurrecting the Dark one: he paid with his life, but Rumple, Emma, Henry, and Hook, to a lesser extent, were all directly affected by it. Everyone else was affected indirectly, through those four.

If the show actually bothered to follow through on any of it, it would be a nice ethical discussion as to whether magic use in general was worth it. It's one thing when it's a personal price and the person using the magic is willing to accept it, but inflicting that price on others is something else entirely. And then there's the fact that one doesn't always know what the price is until it happens, so is it worth taking a chance on Magical Solution X when there might be a Non-Magical Solution Y they could try?

Edited by Dani-Ellie

Speaking of Henry's horse, how were animals affected by the curse?

The anthropomorphic animals like Jiminy and Gus-Gus (RIP) were turned into humans. Graham's wolf was brought to Storybrooke, but does that mean other wild animals from the Enchanted Forest ended up in Maine, or was that just because of the connection to Graham? What about domesticated animals? That stable we saw didn't have enough horses to account for a world where horses were the primary means of transportation, farm work, etc. Were they all left behind to become ogre chow? What about pets? Pongo's the only pet we've seen in Storybrooke, but I seriously doubt a cricket had a pet Dalmatian, and did we see Pongo with the group when they returned to the Enchanted Forest? Did Pongo belong to someone else and then bond with Archie during the curse strongly enough to stick with him after the curse broke? Would the curse have affected a dog's memories of who its owner was? Or was Pongo a creation of the curse, an accessory for Archie's human life that doesn't exist in the Enchanted Forest?

And now I'm really worried about all those beautiful horses we've seen, David's sheep, and any pets who might have been left behind. Any of them outside the Coradome, if they weren't taken by the curse, would be long-dead now, even if they weren't eaten by ogres.

• Love 1

Why did Rumple need to die to kill Pan? It seemed like a set-in-stone prophecy. I'm really not sure where it came from. There was the "boy will be your undoing" prophecy, but that didn't implicitly mean it had to do with killing Pan.

(edited)
During Pan's curse, why was the price that Regina had to pay also paid by everyone else?  She couldn't see Henry anymore, but the Charmings couldn't see or be with neither Emma nor Henry.  Hook couldn't see Emma and Neal couldn't be with his son.

That's the thing with the "price" of magic on this show.  Sometimes, the price is only paid by the good guys and the bad guys pay nothing (if every time Rumple or Regina or Zelena waved their hand and did a little bit of magic and there was a price, they should all be sealed into a crypt until the end of time).  

Secondly, as you said, if the bad guy does have to pay, so do the good guys.  I mean, of all the things Rumple has done vs. the one thing Neal has done, Rumple's price is that his son dies, and Neal's price is he dies.  Neal clearly got the wrong end of the stick there.

If breaking Peter Pan's Curse is that Regina has to pay the price, then she really should have to pay the price.  Meaning in Season 3, when Henry's memories returned, he should remember everyone except Regina.  If not, how was that a big sacrifice?  Suffering for one year?  Hello, Adam and Eddy...  Everyone else suffered for one year too.  Even though you chose not to show Snow and Charming suffering at all, and you didn't even throw Neal a bone of speaking to his son one last time before he expired.  Regina's suffering should be a tad longer than everyone else's, even if they eventually "reward" her for good behavior.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 4

so she was turned back into a human at the point she stopped being a human, which means she's still in the early stages of pregnancy

Aurora was pregnant before Snow and the show made it seem that she and Phillip were turned into monkeys shortly before the Curse was recast.  Unless they clarify and say that they became monkeys right after Snow learned she was pregnant, Aurora should be ready to pop because the Curse was cast about a week before Snowflake was born.  

• Love 1
Aurora was pregnant before Snow and the show made it seem that she and Phillip were turned into monkeys shortly before the Curse was recast.

No, it was months before. It's confusing because it's all in the same episode, but there's a big gap in the flashbacks. Aurora and Philip were turned into monkeys soon after Snow became pregnant, when they were talking about announcing the pregnancy and Zelena showed up to creep all over the newly pregnant Snow. Then there was an eight-month or so gap, during which they apparently fiddled around and didn't know what to do before they finally resorted to the curse.

It's still silly.

• Love 3
(edited)
Then there was an eight-month or so gap, during which they apparently fiddled around and didn't know what to do before they finally resorted to the curse.

Yeah, another unanswered question (maybe forever unanswered) is what were all the things they were trying in all these months?  

Though scarynikki12 also raised a good point that Aurora was pregnant before Snow, though she didn't seem to be showing right before she was turned into a monkey.  So Aurora found out she was pregnant while Emma and Co. were in Neverland.  How long was their entire time in Neverland again?  Let's say it was a month.Belle bursting in with the news about Neal and Rumple was 2 months?  into the lost year?   So that means Aurora was 3 months into the pregnancy, while Snow was 2 months into her pregnancy?  Which means Aurora should have given birth about a month before Snow if she hadn't turned into a Monkey which fits with the "pregnancy on hold while a Winged Monkey" theory, which means Leroy was just making some tasteless joke?  

Edited by Camera One

I'm reasonably sure Neverland was like a week. "The Heart of the Truest Believer" to "Dark Hollow" was five days, per the episode timestamps. I'll give it another couple of days for "Think Lovely Thoughts" and "Save Henry."

So that means Aurora was 3 months into the pregnancy, while Snow was 2 months into her pregnancy?

Aurora had to be at least three or closer to four months pregnant when Snow conceived, assuming there really was a full year between curses.

• Love 1
(edited)

The best I can figure is that it's been around 9-11 months + one year + a week or two for 3B. Skin Deep took place on Valentine's Day, and that's the last real date I can recall the show giving us. I think most people estimate that the rest of Season One covered 1-3 months after that. Season Two is really short. Maybe a month to a month and a half, 3A is less than two weeks, and 3B is maybe a week or two. Henry is twelve and if we assume his birthday is in the Fall (the flashback in 3.22 said Neal and Emma met in 2001, since Emma would have turned 18 that October there's very little wiggle room now for Henry to be conceived and still turn 10 before his mother turns 28 in October 2011). According to Charming in The Tower, Emma is not yet 30. Everyone has been wearing coats for the past two seasons, and it was snowing in A Curious Thing (but I kind of handwave that because we were in the middle of a polar vortex and they were filming outside; it happens) so either they mostly skipped over Summer (I believe there were some light Summer clothes in The Doctor so maybe there was a really short Summer when Emma and MM were in the EF) and it's now Autumn or the timeline is even more condensed and it's still Spring, which wouldn't make sense if Emma and Neal met in 2001 because there's no way Henry would be twelve already.

I think it's early October 2013, but I could be totally wrong. Mostly I don't want it to be past October because I'll be bummed if they made no mention of Emma's first real birthday celebration with her family.

Edited by InsertWordHere
(edited)
The best I can figure is that it's been around 9-11 months + one year + a week or two for 3B. Skin Deep took place on Valentine's Day, and that's the last real date I can recall the show giving us. I think most people estimate that the rest of Season One covered 1-3 months after that. Season Two is really short. Maybe a month to a month and a half, 3A is less than two weeks, and 3B is maybe a week or two.

I think this is about right. Season 1 was more or less 7 months, I think, matching up with "real time," which, okay. But Season 2 couldn't have been longer than six months at most (and six months is really stretching it--like "Team Princess was actually gone for two months" and "Cora was actually in town for a month" stretching it), I think 3 months is more like it, and yeah, the Missing Year aside, S3 was probably a month total.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 1
(edited)

I'd like to know how society functioned in the Enchanted Forest. Was divorce an option? How do they view casual sex? How did the social strata work out? The poor worldbuilding with regards to Enchanted Forest attitudes vs Real World attitudes makes the past stories they've told hard to judge. For example, Milah ran off with Hook after Rumpel refused to consider moving to another town to get a fresh start. If divorce was an option, Milah's choice to leave with the pirate becomes much more questionable than if she really didn't have any other option than to stay in a loveless, miserable marriage. To me it seems that divorce was not an option, but it's open for debate and leaves serious questions about the decisions made by Hook & Milah.

For further questionable character actions, I wonder how does society view unwed mothers? Cora abandoning her child in the middle of nowhere was terrible and completely disgusting, but I also wonder what other options she had. She said it was done to give her her own best chance, and again its gross and selfish, but would she be cast out on the streets totally shunned by society or would it just have been that she'd be stuck raising a child she didn't want and it would cramp her style?

What about Robin & Marian? Should they decide they've grown apart, could they change their mindset about divorce if in the Enchanted Forest it is something that is not an option or condemned by society?

To take it further, the way they showed the missing year it seemed like everything went back to normal in the Enchanted Forest. Despite having lived in a democratic society, everyone just went right back to being okay with having a monarchy again. So if the return home meant that societal norms also reverted, wouldn't people be worried about making decisions that would be okay in Storybrooke, but would be condemned in the Enchanted Forest?

Edited by KAOS Agent
  • Love 1

The way they showed the missing year it seemed like everything went back to normal in the Enchanted Forest. Despite having lived in a democratic society, everyone just went right back to being okay with having a monarchy again. 

Yeah, I get that the "point" of the return to the EF was to have the missing year and Zelena and all that, but I think it was a missed opportunity to explore some of the issues of all these people having lived in another world. The Nevengers just sort of appointed themselves in charge again (I guess they do have the town mayor and deputy sheriff, though I'm still not sure how Regina is still the mayor...) then decided the best course of action was to take back the castle to ... give people hope? What about giving people food and shelter? Didn't they want answers about how they'd suddenly ended up back in Storybrooke? Weren't they angry to have lost... modern dentistry and air conditioning and movie theaters? 

Actually that brings up another question: what happened to all of Regina's guards -- both in Storybrooke and then back in the EF?

• Love 1

To take it further, the way they showed the missing year it seemed like everything went back to normal in the Enchanted Forest. Despite having lived in a democratic society, everyone just went right back to being okay with having a monarchy again. So if the return home meant that societal norms also reverted, wouldn't people be worried about making decisions that would be okay in Storybrooke, but would be condemned in the Enchanted Forest?

Being under Regina's dictatorship isn't really living in a "democratic" society.

• Love 3

They could be rounding when talking about Henry's age at any given point. So, they could be saying he's twelve when he'll be turning twelve in a couple of months. Emma's situation is the only case so far where the actual birth date has mattered, since it was built into the curse and Henry arrived on her birthday to kick off the story.

(edited)

In Welcome to Storybrooke, there is a newspaper in the diner saying "October 23rd, 1983" as its date. If the paper is current, that's probably Emma's birthday.

October 23rd was also the premiere date for Once. In the flashback in Going Home for Henry, it's also shown as being in October.

23 is also a Lost number!

Edited by KingOfHearts
(edited)

Yeah, I have to say I've never heard of anyone rounding their age up. Even if I was 11 years, 11 months, and 28 days old, I would say "I'm 11, but I'll be 12 in a few days." If anything, when Henry says he's 12, it may mean that he's closer to 13.

Edited by stealinghome

How do the Nevengers and Team Princess keep their clothes so clean after trekking for days in the wild?

How does Hook not smell wearing the same thing over and over?  I'm sure his coat can stand on its own now.

• Love 2

Yeah, I have to say I've never heard of anyone rounding their age up. Even if I was 11 years, 11 months, and 28 days old, I would say "I'm 11, but I'll be 12 in a few days." If anything, when Henry says he's 12, it may mean that he's closer to 13.

Sorry. I meant to reply to the post I quoted. You're right -- Henry would never round up. He'd say that he was 11 going on 12

I want to know how Hook maintained his eyeliner through the whole Neverland adventure. Mine rubs off by the end of a day, and yet his was perfect while they were tromping through the jungle for days. Did he pick up a few long-lasting eye pencils while in New York to kill Rumple and reapply regularly? What does it say about him that this was apparently a priority for him -- you're on a mission to rescue the grandson of the woman you loved, facing an old enemy and not even sure if you'll get home, and meanwhile you're starting to fall in love with another woman and are facing the opposition of her parents, but by golly, your eyeliner is going to look good.

On the subject of Emma's eyesight and the glasses that disappeared when she grew up, if she does wear contacts, I'd kind of love to see Hook's reaction the first time she pops out a lens, since I doubt they have an equivalent in his world. "Good God, woman, what the bloody hell are you doing to your eye?"

• Love 2
(edited)

I still think Emma let Hook take Henry in "It's Not Easy Being Green" because she did think he might spill his secrets on leather conditioner and eyeliner. Blah, blah, blah, Neal. Moving on. How do you keep your clothing and makeup in perfect condition?

Edited by KAOS Agent
  • Love 1

This is going back a ways, but I had a thought that struck me.

One thing I'm sure they'll never address, but I'd love to know, is how the fairies feel about being nuns when the curse is broken. Can they reconcile Christianity with everything they know about magic and other worlds? (And I'm not saying they can't, but it seems like it would have provoked a pretty massive question of identity; more so than those who were, like, farmers in the EF and are now mechanics in Storybrooke, or something).

There is a fantastic CS AU fic (Peace I leave With You) where Hook came over with the Curse and was given a Curse identity as an episcopal priest. The fic shows his struggle in dealing with the dichotomy of the two personas.

I don't expect them to actually deal with theology in their worldbuilding because so few TV writers ever do. We saw no sign of faith in the fairy nuns even during the curse -- never saw them at prayer, holding a religious service or anything like that, and even during the curse I don't think there was any sign of religious life in town. They laid out Blue/Mother Superior in the chapel, but all other funerals we've seen were graveside services not conducted by clergy. There was the Impressive Clergyman at Snow and David's wedding, and a couple of characters have said "oh my gods," so it seems like they might have been toying with the idea of a polytheistic culture, but they haven't done anything with that. Oddly, in light of the comment above about an AU story involving Hook as a priest, Hook is the only one I can recall ever saying anything that implied any kind of faith or religious belief. He was goading Rumple into ripping his heart out so that he could be reunited with Milah, which implies a belief in the afterlife, and there was his remark about needing time to prepare his soul for death when they thought Pan was going to destroy everything. Not that this means he's necessarily a religious person, but I don't recall anyone else even implying any kind of religious belief system or faith. I haven't noticed it more recently, but one of the necklaces he was wearing in season 2 looked vaguely cross-like -- something that could possibly be a religious emblem (or maybe my mind just went there since in just about every photo I've seen of Colin O'D with an open collar, he's wearing a small gold cross).

I'm not sure about Neverland, but pirates did wear eyeliner in real life AFAIK, so there must be a way on the high seas!

I wonder if that was for a similar reason to why football players wear the black smudge, to cut down on glare. In that case, I doubt it was a perfectly applied smoky eye look like Hook sports, but more like a smudge of soot or possibly kohl under the eyes.

I'm pretty sure this was answered, but why red for the jacket?  And then the ball gown was also red.  Does that have a significance?

Why do Regina's wings always look so much better than Snow's bird nest?