Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E03: The Newlyweds

• Start Topic

Wait a minute! "Never let a man see you in glasses?"

Really?? What a hurtful, unrealistic statement.

I have no choice and am no longer able to wear contacts.

How about, "Get the cutest glasses you can afford and wear them with confidence! Let your eyes sparkle with some flattering eye makeup."

Be proud and confident. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Shelly1234 said:

I am really surprised how many posters hear think that this tv marriage is exactly like a regular marriage where the couple have known each other for a long time.  Of course I don't know any woman (myself included) who would go to bed with a full face of makeup and be uncomfortable. But we are talking about a blind date wedding night that is broadcast on tv where the couples are together and alone for the very first time.  Normal rules don't apply. Since Jephte is the cold fish and Shawniece is still interested it's more on her to get a spark going otherwise she should just bail now.

I get where you're coming from. When couples first start dating, they try their best to look and act their best. Many women might resort to makeup and hair products, act demure or eat light on dates. For men, they also try to look good, they take you on fancy dates, open doors for you. Of course, this all fades and we reveal our true selves after a few dates. (After we're sure we've snagged them. Lol.) In essence, most of us are sort of fake during this "getting to know you" stage. Obviously, Shawniece is not into pretending. Makeup, hair product, modesty went out the window within hours of meeting Jephte. I guess it speaks to her confidence so good for her. 

Edited by Blissfool
  • Love 1

If I were just married to someone I met that day I would not take off my makeup but that's just me.  If I was dating someone I wouldn't let them see me without makeup until I was a little more comfortable with them.  It's not about me being under-confident about my appearance, but me being comfortable with a level of familiarity and trust that wouldn't be present yet on day one.  I don't see anything wrong with taking it off, though.  It's just not my way.

I think on this show some of the decision to keep makeup on has to do with knowing they are being filmed and not wanting to look less than their best on TV.  

Shawniece looked adorable in her natural look even with the glasses.  She is obviously someone that has fewer boundaries than I do in a relationship.  Obviously Jephte has stronger boundaries than she does and they seem to be a mismatch.  If I were matched with a guy that was as forward as Shawniece and wanted to go to the bathroom with the door open it would be outside my comfort zone and make me think he wasn't for me.  I have been married a long time but I don't think my husband and I have ever gone to the bathroom with the door open.  It's just not our way.  Thankfully I picked a guy that was on the same page with me about this kind of stuff.  Note that we do not share a bathroom either and haven't for a long time.  This may be TMI but my mother sometimes would leave the bathroom door a little bit open when I was a teenager and both my father and I used to ask her to shut it if we were within eyesight distance.  She said it was because she was going through menopause and was so hot she had to keep the door open.  So this is not just an issue between couples but can be a family issue as well.  Note that my father and I both had a stronger sense of modesty than my mother did in general.  It didn't make her crass or crazy, just different.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Adeejay said:

Based on Jep's interaction with Shauniece's family, I don't believe he is shy or reserved.  He is just not physically attracted to her.  Had it been a blind date, he would most likely not call or see her again. 

From what I've seen on this show, when they're "shy and reserved" it means they aren't attracted.  Most people withdraw when they aren't attracted and check out rather than putting more of themselves into it. 

On 1/22/2018 at 9:08 AM, Lm2162 said:

She tries to throw out a harmless positive comment like "first time traveling together!" and he goes "yeah, and it sucked.”

That’s not what happened. At all. She made her comment about it being his first time out of the country and then he said, “Yeah, and traveling sucked,”  WHILE she was still in the middle of her sentence. She finished it by saying “...and it was with me.” He didn’t hear her entire response before he spoke and he was NOT saying that traveling with her sucked. It had nothing to do with her. The she said, “So you’re just going to disregard what I said about it being with me.” And he said something like, “Here we go again.”

I had to suffer through this one twice because my daughter missed it the first time. 

I don’t think Shawneice doesn’t care about Jephte’s feelings, I just think she’s unaware of how she comes across and how he may be feeling uncomfortable because of her actions. 

You know, it is almost EXACTLY like that Ashley/Dave season, except I see Jephte as Ashley in this one. We bagged on that chick HARD and it turns out Dave was the looney one. Now Jephte can’t win no matter what he does and he’s supposed to feign comfortability with a tone deaf, immature (though adorable) woman. Let’s just see how this turns out. 

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Soup333 said:

That’s not what happened. At all. She made her comment about it being his first time out of the country and then he said, “Yeah, and traveling sucked,”  WHILE she was still in the middle of her sentence. She finished it by saying “...and it was with me.” He didn’t hear her entire response before he spoke and he was NOT saying that traveling with her sucked. It had nothing to do with her. The she said, “So you’re just going to disregard what I said about it being with me.” And he said something like, “Here we go again.”

I had to suffer through this one twice because my daughter missed it the first time. 

I don’t think Shawneice doesn’t care about Jephte’s feelings, I just think she’s unaware of how she comes across and how he may be feeling uncomfortable because of her actions. 

You know, it is almost EXACTLY like that Ashley/Dave season, except I see Jephte as Ashley in this one. We bagged on that chick HARD and it turns out Dave was the looney one. Now Jephte can’t win no matter what he does and he’s supposed to feign comfortability with a tone deaf, immature (though adorable) woman. Let’s just see how this turns out. 

Maybe we read the interaction differently, but I've watched it again and still thought it was extremely rude. *shrug* His negativity permeates every conversation they have. I would just think that in a situation like this, trying to be positive would be helpful. 

And yeah, with regards to the makeup thing, I definitely understand that this is not like a normal marriage...makes no difference. My husband saw me in glasses and no makeup on our first date. Some people don't get dressed up. It's paint on my face and contacts...I do it for special occasions only. I don't see any reason why a woman should HAVE to (no problem if she wants to for some reason) wear makeup at any time ever. It's decorative pigment. It's not a necessity for hygiene and not wearing it doesn't make you a "slob," it makes you a person without a decorated face.

Edited by Lm2162
2 minutes ago, Lm2162 said:

Maybe we read the interaction differently, but I've watched it again and still thought it was extremely rude. *shrug* His negativity permeates every conversation they have. I would just think that in a situation like this, trying to be positive would be helpful. 

I think she appears immature, but I don't think his behavior marks him as particularly mature, either. I don't think it's about "winning," but it's weird for her as well and she could be acting out out of discomfort. We all respond to discomfort differently and I really think this might reflect on what each person considers to be the most obnoxious brand of behavior. If someone was over the top and acting out/acting manic, I would be more able to deal with that than someone who was withdrawn and silent. That would absolutely drive me up a wall in this scenario and I would be desperate to fill the silences. I wouldn't fill them with *lap dances* (lol), but I certainly wouldn't know how to act. Again, her behavior isn't appropriate either, but to me he definitely doesn't seem prepared emotionally to do what he signed up to do. 

See, I’m opposite. I can’t deal with the manic behavior. A silent man I could work with. But no matter what, once I’m turned off I’m turned off. Jephte might be the same way. The way he said “Here we go again,” so soon after meeting/marrying her does not bode well for them. 

I I agree about him being negative in that moment. It’s too bad they were forced to do a conversation for the show when they really should have just gone to bed as it had been a long day. I think she’s also negative though - or at least she doesn’t hesitate to express her unhappiness when he doesn’t do/say what she expects. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing in a relationship but not when it’s over pettiness. Who the hell cares what name he puts her in his phone as at this early stage??

I think it’s almost like the Chinese finger toy at this point. The more pressure she puts on him the more he resists. And unless she relaxes, they’ll be stuck in this position - unless he snaps. 

• Love 1
Just now, Soup333 said:

See, I’m opposite. I can’t deal with the manic behavior. A silent man I could work with. But no matter what, once I’m turned off I’m turned off. Jephte might be the same way. The way he said “Here we go again,” so soon after meeting/marrying her does not bode well for them. 

I I agree about him being negative in that moment. It’s too bad they were forced to do a conversation for the show when they really should have just gone to bed as it had been a long day. I think she’s also negative though - or at least she doesn’t hesitate to express her unhappiness when he doesn’t do/say what she expects. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing in a relationship but not when it’s over pettiness. Who the hell cares what name he puts her in his phone as at this early stage??

I think it’s almost like the Chinese finger toy at this point. The more pressure she puts on him the more he resists. And unless she relaxes, they’ll be stuck in this position - unless he snaps. 

Yeah. I think whoever we empathize with most in that scenario is dependent on what we would hate the most, lol, because they are clearly just a really bad match. She will always want more and he will always give less. He seems like the type of person who would need more patience than average to warm up, and she has less patience than the average, so it's just not going to work.

On January 21, 2018 at 10:22 AM, Shelly1234 said:

I think we are talking about two different situations.  These couples on the show are essentially on a blind date, albeit one that results in marriage.  These are not regular marriages where the couple have known each other for a long time and are already mutually attracted to each other. For the other two couples you could see the men were very attracted to their new wives but you can't say the same for Jephte and Shawniece. That's why immediately dressing down just seemed like an odd choice if your new husband doesn't even want to kiss you at all.

I agree.  Knowing a guy for awhile is not the same as just meeting them and then sleeping together.  And, how does a man look " like a slob" when they go to bed?  They look the same every day and night as they don't wear makeup and have a lot of hair to contend with as women.   They only look different with the clothes they wear whether they are dressed up or down.  And, what's the big deal about this makeup stuff and the made up look?  There is no rule if a woman has a natural or made up look.  To each his own.  Nobody can say one is better than the other and it's nobody's business.  About the glasses.  If a person needs them .. Wear them.  

• Love 1
18 hours ago, answerphone said:

Wait a minute! "Never let a man see you in glasses?"

Really?? What a hurtful, unrealistic statement.

I have no choice and am no longer able to wear contacts.

How about, "Get the cutest glasses you can afford and wear them with confidence! Let your eyes sparkle with some flattering eye makeup."

Be proud and confident. 

Yes! There are so many men that absolutely love women in glasses. Just like glasses make men look smart, they make women look smart. And who doesn’t find smart people sexy?!?!  Besides, the whole “naughty secretary” or “naughty librarian” look requires glasses!  I almost got myself a pair of glasses without needing them because of that! 

• Love 2

Funny discussion reg. makeup & glasses considering I don't think Jephte ever complained about how she's looked.

No excuse for Jephte not to have been more prepared for just about anything. If he didn't want sex talk & awkwardness he never should've signed up. At least watching the show prior would have been sufficient warning.

The intimacy episode will be interesting - or not - with these two; could go either way.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Blissfool said:

I get where you're coming from. When couples first start dating, they try their best to look and act their best. Many women might resort to makeup and hair products, act demure or eat light on dates. For men, they also try to look good, they take you on fancy dates, open doors for you. Of course, this all fades and we reveal our true selves after a few dates. (After we're sure we've snagged them. Lol.) In essence, most of us are sort of fake during this "getting to know you" stage. Obviously, Shawniece is not into pretending. Makeup, hair product, modesty went out the window within hours of meeting Jephte. I guess it speaks to her confidence so good for her. 

17 hours ago, izabella said:

From what I've seen on this show, when they're "shy and reserved" it means they aren't attracted.  Most people withdraw when they aren't attracted and check out rather than putting more of themselves into it. 

9 hours ago, Soup333 said:

I do NOT see this at all like David and Ashley. Ashley was outed on being a fraud with why she did the show (wanting to make an ex jealous and hope to get back with him). 

I am taking it when he is saying "Here we go again" that we are missing a lot of what was going on with those 2 already. With the editing and producers playing with things, it needs to be remembered we don't see it all and are ALWAYS missing key moments to explain why something is said and done. Last season is a big one with how often we saw Sheila end freaking out and Nate was played like he was doing nothing wrong when really he was cheating on her the whole time. So she was really freaking out over something but we were NOT allowed to see what it was ever because the show played their stupid game of let's make one look crazy for no reason while the other is really the jerk. Sam and Neil as well is another one. He shut down after she let her NPD show with her crazy and abusive ways to him but the show decided to flip a switch. Try to make it look like she was changing when she wasn't really at all and how he was being this "mean" guy for not giving her a chance after all. Yet he had to go see a therapist once it was over because of her abusive behavior towards him. So we will now see Shawneice come off like we should be saying to give her a chance (which I am not going to do) and Jephte look like he is just "mean and cold" for not trying when he is possibly putting up with who knows what that is edited out (and he was hoping during that time got left on the edit room floor..so to speak) and what went on when the cameras were gone. 

• Love 2
Just now, gonecrackers said:

Funny discussion reg. makeup & glasses considering I don't think Jephte ever complained about how she's looked.

No excuse for Jephte not to have been more prepared for just about anything. If he didn't want sex talk & awkwardness he never should've signed up. At least watching the show prior would have been sufficient warning.

The intimacy episode will be interesting - or not - with these two; could go either way.

Agree that is not the issue with Jephte. And you know what if a couple really wanted to keep some of that off they could. Look at how much Ashley and Anthony kept away from the "experts" and such in all topics. The problem is that we have a couple where one will tell the world and anyone around her in ear shot how she supposedly hasn't had sex in so long but masturbates. While he rather not here it at all and more so have it blurted out like that. Considering she didn't respect what he had said already about it I doubt asking her in private to just stop that kind of talk on camera would help. 

I don't care who one is (unless they like to tell the world about their sex life all the time) the intimacy episode and how these "experts" get is just a bit disturbing most the time. 

Yet with watching the show, I wonder if he had watched seasons past if he would have signed the contract or not. Like I said before I think they try to seek out some that have never watched the show on purpose and probably get them signed asap so they can't back out if they do. It wouldn't surprise me at all with this show. 

6 minutes ago, Evil Queen said:

So we will now see Shawneice come off like we should be saying to give her a chance (which I am not going to do) and Jephte look like he is just "mean and cold" for not trying when he is possibly putting up with who knows what that is edited out (and he was hoping during that time got left on the edit room floor..so to speak) and what went on when the cameras were gone. 

THIS is exactly what I mean. We trashed Ashley so hard for doing the show and many of us took David’s “side” over hers. Then we come to find out David was stupid and looney when he did the other show. I wasn’t remarking on Ashley being a fraud. I’d forgotten all that. My point is that people defend Shawneice, calling Jephte rude and unfeeling and feeling culturally superior (zero evidence) when *I* feel like she’s rude too. She said “whatever” to him reminding her of baby steps. She can’t take a hint. 

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, Soup333 said:

THIS is exactly what I mean. We trashed Ashley so hard for doing the show and many of us took David’s “side” over hers. Then we come to find out David was stupid and looney when he did the other show. I wasn’t remarking on Ashley being a fraud. I’d forgotten all that. My point is that people defend Shawneice, calling Jephte rude and unfeeling and feeling culturally superior (zero evidence) when *I* feel like she’s rude too. She said “whatever” to him reminding her of baby steps. She can’t take a hint. 

I won't even look at the other show and compare it to MAFS because the other show made both him and Vanessa look bad IMO but also was BEYOND a scripted mess. Yet I do get what you are saying but would compare them more to the other 2 couples over that one. LOL Agree she can't take a hint at all though. Like I have said before I think she has been pretty disrespectful to him since their moment alone at the wedding. One can only take so many of those moments from someone before they tune out to it all.

On 1/16/2018 at 10:09 PM, Soup333 said:

Jephte’s stranger wife has issues. Low self-esteem, too eager, too horny - I don’t know. But something is just not right about this chick. 

SHOCKED that Ryan and Jacklyn had sex!! I wasn’t expecting that. 

But damn! Did they HAVE to show their used condom laying on the floor??? That was disgusting!

On 1/17/2018 at 0:15 AM, answerphone said:

Wow, when I first saw Shawniece, I thought she was sparkling and adorable.

And then she started talking and all of a sudden, my opinion changed...

Well, she started pushing him away with more than just the lap dance. She got immediately clingy with statements like "well you're married now." And she really was jsut a stranger. I am suer he felt very smothered already.  Then on the honey moon she was already not caring about her looks. Oversized coke bottle glasses, no make up , boy looking ball caps, her feminity gone. No wonder he is turned off. Not to excuse his rude and childish behaviour.

On 1/19/2018 at 11:42 PM, Flowergirl81 said:

I disagree with this.  I took my wedding makeup off on my wedding night.  I can’t sleep with a full face on, knowing it’ll get on the pillows, sheets etc.  I am AA so perhaps it’s a cultural thing?  My husband had no problems with it, and he prefers my natural look.  All this to say that I don’t find it odd that Shawniece removed her makeup.  And she definitely looks nothing like Oprah...

I believe sleeping in makeup (or even wearing makeup) is an individual thing. How often do you have multiple women in the same family wearing different degrees of makeup.  Just like some men like makeup and some don't, some don't care, others don't notice, some like it if it's not noticeable makeup, etc. Also, I'm going to guess you didn't marry a stranger or have your wedding night filmed for television lol. 

I agree that Shawnice looks nothing like Oprah. She's wearing big glasses, which plenty of people wear but when a big celebrity becomes known for a particular style or accessory, people tend to reference that celebrity in their descriptions even if that celebrity wasn't the first/only person to don that particular style or accessory. 

Edited by love2lovebadtv
  • Love 2
On 1/18/2018 at 10:22 PM, Adeejay said:

Perhaps Shawniece just isn't Jep's type.  It's no secret that black men prefer "thickums" - women with "meat on their bones."  Shawniece while cute and seemingly nice, is petite and flat chested.  I have a feeling Jep would have been fine with a woman like Vanessa. 

On 1/18/2018 at 10:51 PM, PityFree said:

No, not all black men have the same preferences. Just like not like not all Hispanic/Asian/white/whatever/etc. men have the same preferences.

Totally agreed. 

On 1/19/2018 at 9:04 AM, Soup333 said:

I never said she HAD to do anything. Shawniece could do anything she wants to her hair and maybe since she's a beautician, it'll be easier for her to throw together a quick style than it would be for a low maintenance layperson (like me). And who cares about the others. She doesn't have the same hair as the other two girls so there's no equal comparison here. They are in Jamaica, so I'm assuming there will be swimming, hiking, biking and/or plenty of other physical activity. Yeah, she could wear her natural hair through all of that but she could also have chosen braids, twists, a wig or a weave and not have to deal with the headache of styling it IF she chooses. 

There are so many generalizations in these comments it's not even funny. Black men prefer this, Caribbean folk feel like this - it's ridiculous. I do think Jephte and Shawneice are not compatible. Just because they're both from large black families doesn't mean it'll be a slam dunk and that girl is adorable, but she presses waaayyyyy too hard. During the conversation about him traveling out of the country for the first time, Jephte said something like, "Here we go again." As in, she's doing that thing where she talks about how married we fucking are like I don't already know. He's at this level of exasperation/annoyance within ONE day of meeting her. 

Someone else said she's trying to force familiarity into this relationship and I agree. They ARE strangers and that might be why he continues to say it instead of saying something like, "Girl, chill the fuck out. Please." 

I do not think Jephte has a stick up his ass, is too shy to have tried out for the show or is a male version of Ashley's Bitchbot 3000. I think he expected someone with a personality like Clair Huxtable (or even Jay Kyle) and he got Roseanne Conner. There's nothing wrong with a brash personality if your SO is into that, but he doesn't seem to be OR maybe he would have warmed up to her if she wasn't trying so so goddamn hard.

I do think Jephthe is reserved but could open up more if he had a chance. Shawnice moves at a faster pace in general so he should open up his mouth and say something other than, Stranger Danger. I think Jepthe is attractive but I can't tell whether he's attracted to her on a whole.  And I agree that the generalizations here are ridiculous. It's not like every person from a particular has the exact same personality, preferences, and values. And regarding her hair, I don't know what could be more low-maintenance than the wash & go that Shawnice is wearing. There's no headache to washing her hair, not just because she's a hairdresser.  

It takes time to weave or braid your own hair or get it braided or weaved, and it would most likely stay in a weave or braided for at least the entire honeymoon. We've seen no indication that Shawnice wears braids or any other style that takes time to put in and can't be easily switched up. We have seen her wear wigs that can be taken off and swapped out for something else.  And we've seen her with just her natural hair that's fuss-free. 

I'd love to Shawnice calm down a little and get to know Jephthe - really hear him. And I'd like Jephthe to understand that he signed up for this stranger marriage and so he should actually talk to Shawnice and not mumble his grievances to the cameras. 

• Love 4
On 1/20/2018 at 6:02 PM, Neurochick said:

I don't get this comment.  The other women took off their make up and didn't wear Victoria's Secret night clothes to bed either.  Why is it that when a black woman takes her make up off, it's somehow worse than when a white woman does it?

I don't get this either, especially with that gorgeous skin of hers. Her makeup was special occasion makeup, not the kind of makeup intended to hide blemishes and uneven skin tone. And it's definitely not meant to sleep in. I also don't understand the fuss over Shawnice wetting/washing her hair. 

• Love 3
On 1/17/2018 at 7:46 AM, Lily247 said:

And Shawniece definitely did not need to take off her makeup, contacts, weave, etc all at one time right in front of her new husband.  I get that she wanted him to see her for who she really is but damn just please wait a little longer when he is more comfortable with you. The way she took off her pretty hairstyle and it turned into a completely different one, plopped on the huge glasses, washed every stitch of makeup from her face... I admire her bravery. But I would have waited a little longer to keep impressing the new guy with her beauty. I remember the first time I spent the night with my current man (who I married), I kept my makeup and contacts on until he fell alseep. Then I took off my contacts, and took off most of the makeup, A few hours later I woke up before him and reapplied small touches of makeup that would still give me the natural look but not made up. I slowly lessened this routine until he was used to seeing me less and less made up. With Shawniece it was like BAM ! Needless to say after 10 years of marriage and 3 kids I dont usually wear makeup at home and hubby is used to it. But I still try to make an effort to look cute

certainly everyone is entitled to their opinion. and fortunately this forum allows us the opportunity to share and discuss. that said, i must say that i find it incredibly insensitive, irresponsible and unfortunate that you found Shawnice’s natural hair to be so unpleasant. describing it as the opposite of cute, pretty and impressive show what seems to be an obvious bigotry. your comment seems to imply that Shawnice would have been better off presenting to her new husband an altered version of herself- sleeping in camera-ready hair and makeup. kudos to the young woman for being her true self. these people, unfortunately, have only 6 weeks to decide their marital fate. i, like Shawnice, would not want to waste one moment pretending to be something im not- especially at bedtime.

Best.

• Love 8
20 hours ago, Belle0712 said:

certainly everyone is entitled to their opinion. and fortunately this forum allows us the opportunity to share and discuss. that said, i must say that i find it incredibly insensitive, irresponsible and unfortunate that you found Shawnice’s natural hair to be so unpleasant. describing it as the opposite of cute, pretty and impressive show what seems to be an obvious bigotry. your comment seems to imply that Shawnice would have been better off presenting to her new husband an altered version of herself- sleeping in camera-ready hair and makeup. kudos to the young woman for being her true self. these people, unfortunately, have only 6 weeks to decide their marital fate. i, like Shawnice, would not want to waste one moment pretending to be something im not- especially at bedtime.

Best.

My intent was not to offend any one in any way. I wrote that she made drastic changes to her appearance the very first day she met her husband which could have thrown him off guard. I never said a negative comment about Shawniece's natural hair, nor did I think of it negatively. I am not a bigoted person and individuals may choose to spend their time on this forum dissecting my comments in any way that suits them. Best to you.