Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: Episode 7

• Start Topic

Sister Julienne calms an anxious new mother who has put her baby in danger. Jenny, seconded to The London, is impressed with the facilities, but soon begins to see cracks in the establishment. Chummy is upset to learn that her mother has walked out on her father, leaving Lady Browne penniless. As Dr. Turner and Shelagh continue the adoption process, they uncover a devastating secret.

(edited)

I loved the storyline with the mother with postpartum psychosis, but I could have done without the ol' Secret Dancing Lessons device. Really, writers...REALLY? When Trixie saw Patsy and the vicar together and got the wrong idea, I swear my husband and I both uttered "Three's Company" at the same time.

Looks like Chummy will be caring for her mom next week...hope they can get some closure. I was worried the old trout was going to die with Chummy's last words to her having been harsh ones (though completely on point, of course).

Anyone else miss the old Sister Evangelina? You know, the one who was an awesome bitch?

Edited by Portia
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

The hospital wasn't too far distant from where I delivered my son.  It was in the USA but the philosophy was much the same.  

I really hated the ECT treatment.  I wish they had at least said it didn't always work.  And I was so glad they didn't hurt the baby!  

anyone else think they throw the make up on the actors for those comments after the show?  It is just glaringly bad.  

Miranda Hart never fails to amaze me--she is goofy and hilarious in her sitcom (I wish they would show season three over here, already!), and brilliantly dramatic and funny in Midwife. I hope she goes on forever, like Judi Dench and Maggie Smith.

Oh, Trixie? If the bible "is not really your thing," maybe dating a priest is not such a grand idea?

Oh, and the great Cheryl Campbell (Testament of Youth, Pennis from Heaven) as Chummy's Mummy--bliss! Only an appearance by Gemma Jones or Pauline Collins could make me happier.

• Love 1

Oh, Trixie? If the bible "is not really your thing," maybe dating a priest is not such a grand idea?

lol.

When Trixie saw Patsy and the vicar together and got the wrong idea, I swear my husband and I both uttered "Three's Company" at the same time.

I thought Leave It to Beaver, where Eddie thinks his girlfriend and Wally are sneaking around behind his back. Only to learn the girlfriend is knitting Eddie a sweater and is using Wally to make sure its fitting properly.

Re: Dr. Turner's secret

Would his military records be easily accessed by the adoption agency?

Okay, when Patsy was talking about how Rev Twinkletoes wasn't her type, she was admitting Sapphic tendencies, right? I'm not reading into that too much, right?

As pretty as they are, the purple uniforms are hardly appropriate. Every one knows lavender fabric fades quicker under lights than any other color, right? [/retail hell]

I kept wanting Mrs. Saint to pick up the phone and call her fellow Bletchleyladies. They'd help!

Okay, when Patsy was talking about how Rev Twinkletoes wasn't her type, she was admitting Sapphic tendencies, right? I'm not reading into that too much, right?

That's how I interpreted it, but I'd already suspected as much before this episode (though now I can't remember why).

(edited)

And oughtn't Father Hottness be looking for a girl who's actually religious and who understands that the needs of his flock may sometimes interfere with personal plans? I know plenty of pastors who managed to find a wife who's both pretty and devout.

That's how I interpreted it, but I'd already suspected as much before this episode (though now I can't remember why).

Yes and yes from both me and my husband. Her line about liking romantic partners who have more of certain things and less of other things sort of invited the viewer to think body parts, right?

Edited by Portia
  • Love 1
(edited)

That's the vibe I got. 

I also don't understand Father Hotness's obsession with Trixie.  I think she's cute (even though I hate the haircut) but she seems to be too vapid for him.  More importantly, she's made it pretty clear that she's not the religious type, doesn't believe in the Bible, so I'm wondering what kind of relationship does he think they'll have, long term?  But I guess it worked out in real like because they got married. 

Edited by Ohwell

I kept wanting Mrs. Saint to pick up the phone and call her fellow Bletchleyladies. They'd help!

That's who that was! I knew she looked so familiar, but couldn't place her.

The thing that annoys me the most in TV/film plots is when a person gets a well deserved calling out only to end up becoming very ill or dying. Chummy's mother needed to hear what Chummy said about her, but when Peter was talking about how pale she was, I figured she was sick. Before that, it was nice to see Chummy and Peter getting along better, it seemed they had been snippy with each other in the past couple previous episodes.

I admit to swooning a bit when Fred was saying that the waltz was (paraphrasing) about having your partner in your arms and saying "I've got you." I adore Fred and love every scene he's in.

• Useful 1

I thought it was wrong of Chummy to surprise Mr. Chummy with the news that her mother was coming to visit, and that she was staying with them.  I know she was dreading the visit, and maybe that's why she didn't tell him, but still, she should have.  I hope she doesn't turn him into a wimp.  After all, she is bigger than he is.   

• Love 1

That's who that was! I knew she looked so familiar, but couldn't place her.

It took me most of the episode to figure it out.  And you could've knocked me down with a feather when I saw the credits and realized her husband was Renly Baratheon from Game of Thrones.

That's the vibe I got.

I also don't understand Father Hotness's obsession with Trixie.  I think she's cute (even though I hate the haircut) but she seems to be too vapid for him.  More importantly, she's made it pretty clear that she's not the religious type, doesn't believe in the Bible, so I'm wondering what kind of relationship does he think they'll have, long term?  But I guess it worked out in real like because they got married.

I must be thick as a brick, since I didn't get the Patsy thing at all.  And while I agree with you about Trixie and Father Hotness (boy, was she a bitch to him about the dance or what?), I actually think the haircut is very cute on her.

It took me most of the episode to figure it out.  And you could've knocked me down with a feather when I saw the credits and realized her husband was Renly Baratheon from Game of Thrones.

I had no idea.  He looks so different without his crown.

I had no idea.  He looks so different without his crown.

I missed series 3 when it originally ran on PBS, and I randomly tuned into this episode on an affiliate last night and it was driving me CRAZY who the husband was. I knew I knew him from somewhere, but I never would have guessed GoT.

Yep, add me to the list. I thought "lesbian!" from the first moment Patsy appeared on screen wearing pants. lmao. That tends to be a tell in these kind of shows. Then there was that powder case she looked at so lovingly while old Jenny talked about secrets. I thought I got it wrong when the secret supposedly turned out to be that she was in that camp, and when she got angry at Trixie for touching the powder case and implied she got angry because it belonged to her family. But then that line about the reverend told me my gaydar was right.

I hope they do something with this, if the character stays.

Actually, I kind of love Father Hotness and Trixie because they remind me a lot of my gramme (a nurse) and grampie (a minister). Gram was spunky and energetic and vivacious, much like our Trix, and my grandfather was quiet, thoughtful and studious. When they first met, Gram decided he looked like too much of a dork (or the early 40s equivalent) but it was Mothers Day and she noticed that he was wearing a white carnation (meaning that his mother was dead) so she felt badly for him and went over to say hello. Over sixty years and five kids later... The best thing about them as a ministry team was that Grampie could handle the theology and heavy duty counselling really well, and Gram was a whiz at the social, friendly, making people feel welcome side (Grampie... bless him, was not). I guess I'm connecting a little too much, but I think Trixie and the Rev could easily have a similar dynamic.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Bumping an ancient thread because I’m rewatching the show and just spotted Sophie Rundle as the nervous mother. She’s turning into a drinking game at this point among a certain group of us UK show junkies. (Most recently on the higher-profile HBO show Gentleman Jack, but she’s also in Jamestown.) 

Also, due to some sort of episode renumbering with the Christmas specials, Netflix calls this episode 3x08, not 7.