Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E09: 1-800-799-7233

• Start Topic

Just now, Katsullivan said:

I guess since they're both black, it's easy to forget they're not actually related to each other. ?

.... No it's that multiple characters on the show have referred to them as such. Although they were always devoid of chemistry It didn't get skeevy until Jackson and Catherine referred to Maggie as his sister. 

• Love 1
On 1/19/2018 at 10:25 AM, Racj82 said:

Nah between April and Owen. April is his guy sort to speak. Like how George was Burke's guy. April is the one who took trauma and works the way Owen does. Of course, it's tv. They could always go there. But, I don't think his look of admiration meant more than being like a proud pop.

As someone who is rooting for Jackson and April to get back together, and really hopes that this Jaggie phase will run its course, I won't mind if April got some herself. Technically, she's only ever had s-- with Jackson. Considering the fact that he up-ended her life on her wedding day, that's all sorts of wrong. 

On 1/19/2018 at 0:31 PM, CED9 said:

I also have to say I appreciated that the writer of the episode tweeted that when they were breaking the episode, he originally had Alex as Jo’s knight in shining armor, but was told by a woman in the writers room that women had to be the ones to help Jo. 

This is why I'll always keep coming back to Shondaland. 

On 1/19/2018 at 0:40 PM, OtterMommy said:

That was....a lot better than I expected.  I really had no faith in the DV line, but I thought it was well done enough for me to hand wave away the stuff that bugged me (exactly when did Jo and Mer become best friends?  Did I miss something?). 

I think that might have been the point? For a long time, Mer was anti-Jo and passive aggressively saw her as a rival for Alex's "person"-hood. So of all people, Mer was the most susceptible (in Jo's mind) believe Dr. Evil's twisted version of the truth. So there were real stakes there, as opposed to, say... Huh. Who are Jo's female friends, come to think of it? Edwards is gone and Jo never really made any friends with the older doctors. Huh. Deluca. 

On 19/01/2018 at 2:10 PM, Anela said:

I rolled my eyes when they got Jackson and Maggie showering, and only wearing towels, in the same room. It felt like a teenage girl wrote it. Maggie looked beautiful, but I don't want them to go there. 

So did Jackson. Phwoar! He just gets purtier every year.

I really enjoyed this episode and was pleasantly surprised by how well Matthew Morrison played a creep and how convincing CL was as a DV victim. Loved Bailey and Dr Hacker. But PLEASE, for the love of all that is holy, break up De Luca and "Dr Dance". He was far more interesting before she arrived and while I loved Jeanine Garcia on SYTYCD, an actress she is not.

Edited by katisha
2 hours ago, Katsullivan said:

As someone who is rooting for Jackson and April to get back together, and really hopes that this Jaggie phase will run its course, I won't mind if April got some herself. Technically, she's only ever had s-- with Jackson. Considering the fact that he up-ended her life on her wedding day, that's all sorts of wrong. 

I root for Jackson and april big time and I def want April to get some, but I need it to not be a Matthew who was pretty much a clone of herself.

someone that will appreciate her and make her smile and maybe learn some things about herself. I hate how her tinder storyline was hijacked by Maggie. 

On January 20, 2018 at 2:34 AM, bybrandy said:

I'm glad Bailey wasn't all, "Oh, my husband's sister is a transwoman."   

I had TOTALLY forgotten that story line ... definitely time for me and my transient-global-amnesia-altered brain to rewatch all 15 seasons again. 

• Love 1

On the end scene, my feeling is Meredith did the hit and run and I don't blame her if she did but it could be anybody really. One thing that would piss me off will be if the writers decide Jo is actually crazy like her ex stated. I would hate that soooo much. I know she isn't and has always been the victim, but this show likes to throw curves, making Jo a bad guy would be a curve that ruins things for me, I don't know if the writers are even thinking such a thing, I am just wildly guessing because I have so many thoughts entering my mind at once and I know some people don't like Jo and painting Jo as bad and a hit and run driver would be a excuse to get her off the show. I honestly don't see why Jo is hated by some, I love her, I know she told some lies like not being married and stuff, but that was for self protection. is it even possible what she said about her ex are lies too? also, I would like to see her ex make a full recovery so I can see him get a beatdown when he tries to hurt Meredith or any other female doctor. I can picture alex or owen running to someones aid and beating him down, actually I would like to see that, the abuser derserves it.

14 hours ago, moonorchid said:

I root for Jackson and april big time and I def want April to get some, but I need it to not be a Matthew who was pretty much a clone of herself.

someone that will appreciate her and make her smile and maybe learn some things about herself. I hate how her tinder storyline was hijacked by Maggie. 

I don't understand why anyone wants Jackson and april to get back together, I must be one of the few who don't, maybe I am the only one. He hurt april's feelings and tries to be too controlling with her, he couldn't even understand why she wanted to go help on the battlefield, but as prior military I get her thinking on the subject ad why she did it, I think Jackson cant be trusted and if they got back together he would leave her again when he doesnt get his way.

18 minutes ago, skermac said:

I don't understand why anyone wants Jackson and april to get back together, I must be one of the few who don't, maybe I am the only one. He hurt april's feelings and tries to be too controlling with her, he couldn't even understand why she wanted to go help on the battlefield, but as prior military I get her thinking on the subject ad why she did it, I think Jackson cant be trusted and if they got back together he would leave her again when he doesnt get his way.

I agree that they weren't great together.. Tho u can tell love is there.. But when has he been controlling??.. When after their son died he wanted to grieve with her and she abandoned him and her family to go risk her life a million miles away.. Which left him picking up the pieces and dealing with not only his pain but I would assume his and April's respective families pain.. Not to mention fear of losing his wife in a war zone.. When did he hurt her feelings??.. Before or after she blamed him for "taking her virginity " or maybe when she brow beat him into accepting religion and capitulating that their kids grow up in the church... Or maybe it was before she took offense that Harriet would be on the board of the Avery foundation.. Because apparently money is horrible and makes u grow up bad... It may not seem like it but I like April if in time she and Jackson got back together I'd be ok.. And he does have stuff to work on as well but if were gonna be assigning blame. The lions share of their problems come from her

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, skermac said:

Replying in the Grey's Relationships thread...

9 minutes ago, UNOSEZ said:

I agree that they weren't great together.. Tho u can tell love is there.. But when has he been controlling??.. When after their son died he wanted to grieve with her and she abandoned him and her family to go risk her life a million miles away.. Which left him picking up the pieces and dealing with not only his pain but I would assume his and April's respective families pain.. Not to mention fear of losing his wife in a war zone.. When did he hurt her feelings??.. Before or after she blamed him for "taking her virginity " or maybe when she brow beat him into accepting religion and capitulating that their kids grow up in the church... Or maybe it was before she took offense that Harriet would be on the board of the Avery foundation.. Because apparently money is horrible and makes u grow up bad... It may not seem like it but I like April if in time she and Jackson got back together I'd be ok.. And he does have stuff to work on as well but if were gonna be assigning blame. The lions share of their problems come from her

Replying in the relationship thread too

16 hours ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

I had TOTALLY forgotten that story line ... definitely time for me and my transient-global-amnesia-altered brain to rewatch all 15 seasons again. 

As someone who has played through 7 seasons of the show recently...don't do that. At the very least, stop at the plane crash aftermath.

• Love 1
On 1/19/2018 at 0:35 PM, JudgeyMcJudgyPants said:

I have no problem buying Matthew Morrison as a bad guy.  Back in my soap opera watchin days, As the World Turns decides to assassinate the character of Adam Munson and Matthew played him.  He was a total sleaze of a record producer who was not above attempting rape on his brother’s wife.  He was so good at playing an asshole that I had trouble buying intoh” him as a good guy on Glee (honestly, I think it’s the hair.). And I never forgave As the World Turns for ruining the character.  No child of Hal Munson and Margo Hughes would ever turn out to be such a shithead!

When I was little, I swore I'd never get hooked on a soap.  Then I caught a glimpse of Meg Ryan on ATWT.  I was hooked for a while.  I remember Julianne Moore and Marisa Tomei in their early years there.  I only watched for a little while after Meg Ryan left and Lindsay Frost took over the role.  Hal and Margo were a great couple.  RIP Benjamin Hendrickson. :(  

I think prison is far more appropriate for an abuser than attempted murder. If this storyline is supposed to be a representation of domestic abuse, surely attempted murder of any sort against the abuser is amongst the least likely things to occur?

Overall, it was an ok episode. Meredith was great.

7 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

Wow, you and I are watching completely different shows. 

Loved that Meredith's entire demeanor changed as soon as she heard Paul's name and realized who he was, and that she refused to let Jo go through this alone. Even though she and Jo aren't BFFs, I think her protectiveness was a result of (1) Meredith protecting her self-made family, and Alex loving Jo makes her part of the family and (2) whatever complaints she has had about Jo, she knows that no one deserves to be abused. So between those two things, I knew Meredith would be fiercely protective of Jo once she knew Paul was at the hospital.

Yay for Dr. Hacker (Casey)! I loved when he opened the door to the blood bank with the defibrillator and I loved his whole conversation with Bailey about what happened hypothetically. This was a much better way to introduce a new intern. The others have failed for me. I don't care about DeLuca's ex or the escapades of Glasses. Instead of trying to make the interns into comic relief, let them be actual people.

I did feel a little bad for the other intern Helm. She got sent off on what seemed like a stupid assignment without being told why. But she got bonus points for me first when she said her name was like Hellmouth (Buffy shoutout!) and then again for not asking questions once she found Jo (and refusing to leave her side, per Alex's instructions).

On 1/18/2018 at 7:18 PM, funnygirl said:

Andrew and his intern girlfriend are like the poor man's poor man's broke cousin's Meredith and Derek.

Ha, this made me laugh a lot more than it should have! I liked Jeanine Mason on SYTYCD but I wish they would give her something to do on this show besides interact with DeLuca. They're always either fighting or fucking and to me that's not a very interesting storyline.

On 1/19/2018 at 10:27 AM, funnygirl said:

It would've been more beneficial to have had a scene with Jo/Meredith and Arizona that transitioned her onto Team Anti-Paul, instead of shoehorning in the screen-sucking waste of time of more flirty Carina.

While I agree that Carina is totally unnecessary at this point, I was okay with not seeing Arizona get the rundown on Paul. Arizona knows that Meredith would not all her and ask her to stall some guy unless she had a good reason. I think that if she mentioned the real reason why, she would have jumped in without any hesitation but I think that even if they didn't have time to give her an explanation, she would have done it when she heard how serious Meredith was when she asked her to stall Paul.

On 1/19/2018 at 11:19 AM, RedbirdNelly said:

I liked Dr. Hacker though the record being sealed part was silly.

I know someone who had a sealed record. It wasn't federal, but the authorities can choose to seal your criminal record for whatever reason.

On 1/21/2018 at 9:13 PM, moonorchid said:

Doubt Matthew is coming back. LOL. But gosh, the show is really trying to pit Maggie and April fans against each other, isn't it?

On 1/22/2018 at 11:38 AM, skermac said:

Yeah, they have stuff to work out. That's what makes it interesting. If they were a perfect puzzle-matching fit, it'd be boring. Their money and religion conflicts was a lot of what made them so appealing to me. (The rest was their backstory - even though Grey writers tend to forget it, they were best friends who cohabited for a long time before they started dating, and they had their own separate history from that other hospital before moving to Seattle Grace; also their chemistry and them being interracial.)

Plus it would have been awesome to see one successful marriage in Grey's that worked through ups and downs. Give a little hope out there to struggling couples everywhere. 

1 minute ago, Katsullivan said:

But gosh, the show is really trying to pit Maggie and April fans against each other, isn't it?

I didn't think so...until this episode.  I only see two reasons why they would have April run this contest (when Richard could easily have done so):

1 - The less likely, yet my preferred reason: They want to give April the chance to have the upper hand in her dynamic with Jackson.  They've had a very up and down relationship and they've both done some boneheaded things, but it has always been that Jackson was the "good" one and April had to live up to him (which is ironic, because I think Jackson was a better character because of April, not the other way around).

2 - The more likely, yet I'm dreading it reason: They really want to push this dumb ass Jackson/April/Maggie triangle.

Look, the Jackson/Maggie thing is problematic enough on its own.  The only sort of okay part about it is that, as they've played it so far, April has excused herself from that mess and is off trying to do her own thing.  Apparently, it is not possible to do the Jackson/Maggie trainwreck AND give April a solo, or at least not involved with those two story line, so it's love triangle time.

Ugh...I hate love triangles.

28 minutes ago, Katsullivan said:

Doubt Matthew is coming back. LOL. But gosh, the show is really trying to pit Maggie and April fans against each other, isn't it?

I’m more talking like a “Matthew-like” person more than the actual person. 

And I don’t know if it’s the show or the fans. Speaking for myself, there are way too many similarities between Maggie and April and a huge discrepancy in how characters treat them for very similar traits and behaviors. If in this episode April went on about blood on her face I guarantee you someone would have been shown rolling their eyes like Alex and Cristina did back in the day to april. But Maggie? It’s damn adorable and it makes hot popular jock Jackson Avery want to ask you out! As someone who loves april, that kind of crap pissss me off and makes me unfairly resent Maggie. Plus Maggie being the reason the writers did a 180 on japril doesn’t help her at all.

I was hoping beyond hope that they wouldn’t do an actual freaking triangle. They need jaggie to be compelling for anyone to care and all it’s going to do is piss me off cause if the way they have jaggie going now is any indication, this will just show how much more Jackson wants to be with maggie than anything else and I’d rather not sacrifice april to jaggie anymore than she already has been.

Edited by moonorchid
  • Love 1

Similar others, I don't understand why the writers are harping so much on the step-siblings connection between Jackson and Maggie. I saw "Clueless," and I rooted for Cher to get together with Josh, who were also step-siblings. But that movie had one throwaway line about "you're not my brother," and then: woo hoo, hot makeout on the stairs -- not line after line after line, like anvils! falling! on! my! head!

Because the more that the show tells me they're not related/not from the same family, the more that it's all I can think about. It's like someone telling me "Don't look over there." Where's the first place I'm gonna look?

But if the show wants to push them as the sexy new couple, maybe try not 1) covering them in blood, 2) having them talk about their childhoods in the same city (together-but-apart) and 3) maybe not keep saying "we're not related! we're not from the same family!" every other minute.

(like that one line about "His blood and our sweat mingling together" -- you could just tell the writers thought that was supposed to be dirty-hot. But I didn't! I thought it was gross.)

So now ppl are upset that because they are thinking abt their.. If not related status.. At least the fact that they share many tangential relationships and if the two of them were to start dating.. If or when it ended it could cause drama.. He'll any fight they have could possibly pit Webber against his wife.. Or Webber against meredith there are real life pitfalls and I'd be at least kinda weirded out if my step-dad had a hot daughter and we started getting the vibes.. Not saying it would stop me... My lizard brain would kick in.. But still it would be a cause to pause 

@skermac you took the words right out of my mouth, I was thinking along the same lines about Jo, but I'm hoping they won't go that way, that Jo is actually the crazy one. But with this show you never know.

I'm one of those who is hoping that Jackson and April would get together. 

One thing, I don't get the opposition of Jackson and Maggie, ( I don't want them to get together just to be clear) but everybody going on and on about it being incestuous, hello, this show had done everything else, gay, bisexual, trans, and you complain about incest? Please, I know I'll get downvoted, but think about it, if we can do the gblt storylines what's so bad about incest? (And they aren't even actually related!) I don't get this, if we are an accepting society why not accept this too? It's coming.

The writers cover everything, but they certainly can't cover a Christian character, April could have this awesome role if the writers took the time to actually portray her correctly. But hey being a Christian today seems to be politically incorrect.

35 minutes ago, Lyanna19 said:

@skermac you took the words right out of my mouth, I was thinking along the same lines about Jo, but I'm hoping they won't go that way, that Jo is actually the crazy one. But with this show you never know.

One thing, I don't get the opposition of Jackson and Maggie, ( I don't want them to get together just to be clear) but everybody going on and on about it being incestuous, hello, this show had done everything else, gay, bisexual, trans, and you complain about incest? Please, I know I'll get downvoted, but think about it, if we can do the gblt storylines what's so bad about incest? (And they aren't even actually related!) I don't get this, if we are an accepting society why not accept this too? It's coming.

The writers cover everything, but they certainly can't cover a Christian character, April could have this awesome role if the writers took the time to actually portray her correctly. But hey being a Christian today seems to be politically incorrect.

Lgbqt is not the equivalent to incest. And while these writers are not doing a good job with april's portrayal of Christianity , Christianity itself is not being persecuted. It just has to make room for other people's beliefs as well.

ETA: Anyway Jackson and Maggie aren't incest. They're just boring. Ill ignore them same way i do all the other characters I dont care about. 

Edited by tua20782
  • Love 2

How is it not equivalent? After all the argument is that they don't choose their lifestyle, and incestuous relationships are arguementively: "I can't help that I'm in love with my sister/brother/parent/child...." I'm just saying. isn't it in England where they are trying to pass a law where incestuous relationships are no longer illegal? 

Anyways just saying, ?

And there is room for a big argument that Christianity IS being persecuted and/or mocked. (On this show for example mocked). But let's not go there.

But I agree Jackson and Maggie are boring, and you make a good point of ignoring those you don't care about. Great idea.

Just because two different groups of people *might* utilize the same argument regarding *different* issues, does not make them the *same* issue. Not even close. The fact that you are equating incest with someone being LBGTQ is so far out there that I cannot begin to wrap my brain around it.

• Love 2

Wait wait wait...I’m really shook that “incest”, legitimate incest, is being argued as the same as LGBTQ...There’s not enough coffee in the world for me to wrap my head around that one.

look Maggie and Jackson are not incest but incest by nature is gross and scientifically “frowned upon”. I’m just...

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Lyanna19 said:

3 hours ago, Lyanna19 said:

How is it not equivalent? After all the argument is that they don't choose their lifestyle, and incestuous relationships are arguementively: "I can't help that I'm in love with my sister/brother/parent/child...." I'm just saying. isn't it in England where they are trying to pass a law where incestuous relationships are no longer illegal? 

Anyways just saying, ?

And there is room for a big argument that Christianity IS being persecuted and/or mocked. (On this show for example mocked). But let's not go there.

But I agree Jackson and Maggie are boring, and you make a good point of ignoring those you don't care about. Great idea.

giphy.gif

what231.gif

• Love 2