Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: Heroes and Morons

Awwww, such a goodbye between Margot and Eliot.  Be smart, Eliot!

Heh.  Julia refers to normal people as muggles.

I highly doubt that Quentin would be strong enough to catch a full grown woman as she's dropping like that.

Exploding cat?  Exploding cat???? First the Beast turns a cat inside out, now an exploding cat?  Not cool, Magicians writers, not cool.

Good job, Eliot, in solving the puzzle to get the key.  That was pretty smart.  He is such a good leader now.  Very believable.

GAAAAAH!  What's after Alice????? And is in Quentin?????????

Next week looks creepy/badass.

I love this show.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Poltargyst said:

Exploding cat?  Exploding cat???? First the Beast turns a cat inside out, now an exploding cat?  Not cool, Magicians writers, not cool.

Just got to Alice picking up the kitten and came here to verify I needed to steel myself for the rest of the episode.  THanks for the heads up. 

Dammit.

• Love 1
(edited)

Margo holding back tears with her chin trembling as she told Eliot to make smart choices instead of being brave - awwwwww! I love how much they love each other. Their list of fictional babies who were magically aged up deserves a high five. I have to agree with Margo about Dawn - technically she was never a baby.

Not at all surprised that Kady stole the battery. The bigger surprise is that after two seasons of referring to that teacher as Blue Fairy, that character FINALLY got a name! I was going to say she finally got a name right before she died but since she survived, I'm assuming that we will see her again eventually. How does Mayakovsky get all of these women to fall in love with him? Based on what we've seen of him, it's not his charming personality.

Loved that one of Josh's points of evidence that Mayakovsky was the bear in the video was that the bear was a dick.

Ha, of course the fairies gave Eliot and Fen's daughter the nickname Fray, short for Frail Human.

I was screaming, "NOOOOOOOO!" when the Lamprey entered Quentin. But Quentin's awkward apology at the police station (or hospital) about the kitten exploding was so Quentin. It will be interesting to see how well the Lamprey is able to act like Quentin.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 6

Totally not cool - I really did not need to see that.

I was screaming, "NOOOOOOOO!" when the Lamprey entered Quentin.

Oh - is that what happened? I couldn't figure it out. I thought maybe the guy who attacked him switched bodies with him somehow.

I swear, you need annotations with this show. Or at least you need to watch it twice.

• Love 4

This show is having a very strong start to it's season, however Alice is dead to me.  Poor kitten.  She knew it would end badly for it, but she still took it.  :-(  I love the leader that Elliot has become! " My turn:  go to your room!"  hehe

• Love 3

As much as it pains me to say it, I almost feel like Eliot and Margo are too young to be familiar with Buffy. Assuming they're roughly early 20's that show ended when they were around 10 years old. I guess reruns?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

As much as it pains me to say it, I almost feel like Eliot and Margo are too young to be familiar with Buffy. Assuming they're roughly early 20's that show ended when they were around 10 years old. I guess reruns?

Buffy is a timeless classic, and everyone at every age should watch it. :)

They seem like they'd be into the occasional retro binge, especially of something involving magic and witchcraft and hot dudes.

• Love 14
16 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Oh - is that what happened? I couldn't figure it out. I thought maybe the guy who attacked him switched bodies with him somehow.

I swear, you need annotations with this show. Or at least you need to watch it twice.

Yes, the lamprey entered the construction worker’s body earlier in the episode. That’s why Alice’s kitten exploded at the police station (or hospital?) when he walked by. 

This show does not shy away from killing cute furry things does it? I knew to not get attached to poor little Hester.

I like that the lamprey entered Quentin. I think the actor that plays him is very good so this will be fun to watch.

So I have to presume that the Lamprey doesn't actually kill the host when it takes over the body, as Q has to somehow survive.  But we don't really know, since the construction guy just fell to the ground and didn't move.

Poor kitten. :(((((  Yeah, Yeah, Alice was a niffen/had no soul and all, lesson learned - don't piss off a lamprey.

I thought magic couldn't really cure disease?  So how can it help Penny?

And agree that its a bit tiresome that Mayakofsky seems to have a magic cock or something.

Elliot did a great job on the island and nice that wife and daughter helped too.  Maybe this will have a good effect on Fray (or is it, "Frey" haha).  And at least wife (can't recall the name, atm) isn't cooing to a bunny or a log anymore.

Margo is right, don't be stupid Elliot.  

Oh crap, the Lamprey got into Quentin! I dont see it handling pretending to be Q for very long though without people catching on. I mean, could a Lamprey really capture that "Her kitten was sick...and it exploded...as they do..." quality? 

Margo and Elliot's goodbye was so sweet! And the conversation about rapidly aging babies was hilarious. The family trip with Elliot and family was a nice little side quest, and I thought Elliot played it well. he really has become a good leader, even if he REALLY didn't ask to be one. I mean, a king for Filory at least. At least his wife has moved on from her baby log now that she possibly has a real, grown up daughter. 

Mayakovsky must have some crazy moves in bed to get all these chicks to fall so hard for him. I mean, I like the guy, but I cant imagine if I met him, I would be that into hitting that. Getting drunk and bitching about stuff? Sure. Anything else? Nope. Also, I dont know why, but calling Mischa "the Joe of Russia" was really funny to me. I do hope he gets turned back into a person again at some point. 

Kady taking the batteries isn't a huge surprise, even though it probably wont end well. Poor Penny. 

Also, poor kitten. Was that necessary, show? WAS IT?!?!

• Love 1

Wow...definitely need to rewatch this! I usually watch this show over dinner with my daughter and son-in-law, and a couple of pretty stiff gin & tonics generally round out the evening, so I do tend to be kinda fuzzy on some of the details by the end of it. I'm reading the comments here and thinking that I didn't catch anything about the lamprey. At least I managed to predict that the kitten would meet a grisly end, though the suddenness of it startled me. And my daughter, being a crazy-cat-lady in the making, was NOT happy! Yeah, show...let's have a happy end  for a cat at some point here!

As for Mayakovsky, I can see the attraction, though being pretty close to his age myself, that's probably more appropriate than my crush on Eliot! I think that my 25-ish self would have found both of them pretty attractive as well, though.

Off to watch this again and see if I can make head or tail of it this time. Might have to rewatch the previous show as well while I'm at it. I don't quite understand the Lamprey storyline in general, I think.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Mayakovsky must have some crazy moves in bed to get all these chicks to fall so hard for him. I mean, I like the guy, but I cant imagine if I met him, I would be that into hitting that. Getting drunk and bitching about stuff? Sure. Anything else? Nope. Also, I dont know why, but calling Mischa "the Joe of Russia" was really funny to me. I do hope he gets turned back into a person again at some point. 

Well, technically, Vanya (Ivan) is the Joe of Russia.

Or if we go by generational fad names and assume he's 50-ish, it would be Vova (Vladimir), Vitya (Victor) or Dima (Dmitry). Misha (Mikhail) isn't that popular of a name. So that phrase didn't work for me.

Misha, though, is a very popular name for bears: live or stuffed toys, as it's one of the words that means "small cuddly baby bear"

As for why women are so into him... he IS a character, a strong one. he also cares. In his own way, but he helped Kady escape, he pushed Q and Alice together. And Q was right, he is a great teacher.  He probably is cuddly little bear under that facade of a drunken asshole. It probably takes really knowing him to love him, but I can see how he can inspire crazy hysterical passionate feelings.

Edited by vavera4ka
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, vavera4ka said:

Well, technically, Vanya (Ivan) is the Joe of Russia.

Or if we go by generational fad names and assume he's 50-ish, it would be Vova (Vladimir), Vitya (Victor) or Dima (Dmitry). Misha (Mikhail) isn't that popular of a name. So that phrase didn't work for me.

Misha, though, is a very popular name for bears: live or stuffed toys, as it's one of the words that means "small cuddly baby bear"

As for why women are so into him... he IS a character, a strong one. he also cares. In his own way, but he helped Kady escape, he pushed Q and Alice together. And Q was right, he is a great teacher.  He probably is cuddly little bear under that facade of a drunken asshole. It probably takes really knowing him to love him, but I can see how he can inspire crazy hysterical passionate feelings.

I think that's a very good assessment of Mayakovsky. Intelligence is a strong aphrodisiac by itself, and coupled with his passion for magic, which his students no doubt found compelling, would probably be enough for quite a number of them to be drawn in. Plus, as you say, he obviously does care, in his own way, and possibly drops some of that rough facade in more intimate circumstances. 

A pansexual orgy in a park and and and exploding kitten in one episode. Gotta love this show.

I love animals, so please don't beat me for having laughed out loud when the kitten popped. And the stunned silence that was followed by Q's desperate explanation. I'd probably be more upset if the kitten was tortured before popping. Granted, it was frightened and hissing, but nothing too bad. At least it didn't suffer.

I'm also surprised there wasn't more about Elliot's semi-sentient ship after all that ridiculous and hilarious set-up. I'm sure there's more to come in the future, but I was really expecting it in this episode. The same applies to the silent swordsman.

• Love 1
On 1/18/2018 at 7:45 PM, iMonrey said:

Actually I am fairly sure Buffy reruns are on cable somewhere right now. There are still quite a few Buffy communities online so it wouldn't be hard for people in their 20's to follow it. Hell, people are still just finding "Farscape" now.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Richness said:

I love animals, so please don't beat me for having laughed out loud when the kitten popped. And the stunned silence that was followed by Q's desperate explanation. I'd probably be more upset if the kitten was tortured before popping. Granted, it was frightened and hissing, but nothing too bad. At least it didn't suffer.

Honestly, I did, on this one and I'm a crazy cat lady.  The inside out cat traumatized me but since we couldn't see the actual animal in the moment on this one I was able to enjoy the comedy of the human reactions. 

• Love 2
On 1/18/2018 at 4:45 PM, iMonrey said:

A few years ago, Buffy and Angel were in syndication on multiple channels so sometimes I could catch four episodes per night. Until a few months ago, both series were on Netflix too so it was possible to binge watch all twelve collective seasons of the two shows. 

Only this show could make me go "oh nooooo kitty!" In one moment and then start laughing out loud after Q's hysterical attempt to explain it.  I'm really loving the show this year. And surprisingly finding Q much less annoying this year. 

The morons and heroes speech made me misty. But does this quest mean Margo and Eliot are going to be split up for a while?  Not liking that.

And everybody should be able to work Buffy references into every day conversation. They just should. 

• Love 4
53 minutes ago, MissL said:

And everybody should be able to work Buffy references into every day conversation. They just should. 

I used to do that all the time but the old memory isn't so good anymore so I find it hard to remember the good ones. ETA: I do still use insane troll logic a lot.

Everyone on the show is kind of separated right now. I hope the all come together soon in this quest, I like it best when they are together. We get so much snark. The cast have great chemistry with each other.

Edited by festivus
1 hour ago, MissL said:

So say we all. Oh wait, that's from the show where Margo is totally Grace Park. :)

• Love 1

I rewatched this in anticipation of the next episode and something appears to have been cut. I often wonder how much of the story we're missing because SyFy is cutting out stuff to make room for commercials.

Quentin, Julia and Josh discover that the first key is to be found on the Outer Islands in Fillory but they have no way of getting there without magic so they go in search of one of the batteries. Meanwhile, Eliot and Margo tell their assembled court that they are traveling to the Outer Islands to collect taxes because they're broke. But when they get there it turns out Eliot is looking for the key after all. So, how did he know the key was on the Outer Islands? There must have been a scene where Quentin sent him a rabbit messenger or something. 

33 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I rewatched this in anticipation of the next episode and something appears to have been cut. I often wonder how much of the story we're missing because SyFy is cutting out stuff to make room for commercials.

Quentin, Julia and Josh discover that the first key is to be found on the Outer Islands in Fillory but they have no way of getting there without magic so they go in search of one of the batteries. Meanwhile, Eliot and Margo tell their assembled court that they are traveling to the Outer Islands to collect taxes because they're broke. But when they get there it turns out Eliot is looking for the key after all. So, how did he know the key was on the Outer Islands? There must have been a scene where Quentin sent him a rabbit messenger or something. 

Eliot already knew that he was going there to look for the key at the end of the previous episode. Quentin already told him that the first key was there and Eliot discussed how to get there with Rafe. Then Fen told him about the Montjac. The fairies would never let Eliot go out there if they knew it was to try to get magic back so he made up the story about collecting taxes as a cover.

Eliot: We are go for epic quest.
Rafe: You are indeed a brave king.
Eliot: I am indeed a guy with not much choice, but thanks for rounding up. We're looking for keys. Q and Julia believe whatever the keys unlock will help restore magic. And they think the first key is here in Fillory.
Rafe: Excellent.
Eliot: Some place called After Island?
Rafe: Oh. It lies beyond our border, Majesty. You would be venturing to strange lands not your own.
Eliot: So not the friendliest?
Rafe: It is said that even the Outer Sea itself wishes ill upon our king. Some have sailed before you.
Eliot: Oh, and how'd that go?
Rafe: They drowned.
Eliot: Oh. Well, how do we prevent that?
Rafe: I wish I knew
Fen: I know exactly the boat you need.

On 1/18/2018 at 6:50 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I was screaming, "NOOOOOOOO!" when the Lamprey entered Quentin. But Quentin's awkward apology at the police station (or hospital) about the kitten exploding was so Quentin. It will be interesting to see how well the Lamprey is able to act like Quentin.

Quentin is the best at awkward funny!  

Anyone else wish that Kady and Josh had found the herbivore dinosaur in the falafel place?

• Love 1

So I was saving this up so I could bingewatch it and then I thought, "no, I'll join the party watching it weekly" and now I'm kicking myself because I'm loving every minute of this season. Except maybe possessed Quentin because I like it better when he's Harry Potter.

On 21/01/2018 at 12:38 AM, Richness said:

A pansexual orgy in a park and and and exploding kitten in one episode. Gotta love this show.

Her kitten was sick and it... exploded... like... they... do. 

On 22/01/2018 at 10:13 AM, MissL said:

Only this show could make me go "oh nooooo kitty!" In one moment and then start laughing out loud after Q's hysterical attempt to explain it.  I'm really loving the show this year. And surprisingly finding Q much less annoying this year. 

This. I always found Q annoying in a consistent way, which is to say he wasn't annoying because he was supposed to be annoying. If that makes sense. That's why Julia was so annoying because she wasn't supposed to be annoying so she was.

Actually Q reminds me of the depressed character in that film Melancholia. Your depression lasts until things actually turn to shit and then you get weirdly calm and focussed because your negative emotions are suddenly justified. Q used to feel like things were shit but now they are shit. Elliot's the same and that's why Elliot and Margot are suddenly boss rulers. It's a nice shoutout and a nice inversion of the books, actually. Since the books were about the pointless and destructiveness of privilege and that privilege has been taken away. It's probably why this season is so good (so far).

• Love 4
On 1/18/2018 at 7:45 PM, iMonrey said:

Kids/college students binge watch a lot of older shows.  Friends is big with kids at my daughter's high school.  My Daughter Loves Buffy.  We re watched the series with her. (It was either Netflix or Amazon. We have both and I can't recall which one we watched it on.) 80s movies are also popular among the high school crowd.

• Love 1
On 1/19/2018 at 11:29 AM, Hanahope said:

On 1/19/2018 at 11:29 AM, Hanahope said:

I thought magic couldn't really cure disease?  So how can it help Penny?

His cancer was caused by Magic when he entered the poison room. So since it's magical, then it can be erased by Magic.

(edited)
On 08/03/2018 at 4:47 AM, ElleMo said:

His cancer was caused by Magic when he entered the poison room. So since it's magical, then it can be erased by Magic.

Spoiler

So how does that add up with Quentin's father's cancer going into remission when magic went away because there was something "inherently magical" (I think there was a comment like that made at some point) about it? Why would Q's father's cancer have a magical source, and if it did, why wouldn't the disappearance of magic also help Penny?

Edited by SilverStormm
Spoiler tag added.
  • Love 1