Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E02: Alyssa & Tyler

(This is just for the true MTV-heads but doesn't he kind of look like a pre-makeover Matt "Amber Portwood's Ex" Baier?)

Matt Bauer is NOBODY'S makeover "after" picture.

Perhaps we can say that Tyler looks like a heavier Matt Baier.

I, too, wondered if he might be autistic.

Edited by Blissfool
  • Love 2

I”m starting to think MTV finds it hilarious to watch all of the desperate people being lied to convince themselves on Catfish that these people with the obvious gorgeous fake profile pictures are real.

And then when they finally meet and they realize the Catfish is mostly always below average looking like them.

I watch this for laughs anymore.  Nothing about this show is real.

Once again,we don’t need to see Nev Facetime with his wife. We get it you’re married,so am I who cares!

Do your job.

• Love 5

The new overly long Season 7 opening is here to stay? Nev's family backstory is now a must-know? I'm surprised we didn't spend 5 minutes on the cast bringing Nev out a giant birthday cake and cutting it.

This time with the wife they tried to make it seem like she was a game changer in the investigation. In that case, start letting Max phone a friend or his parents to ask them what to do.

Alyssa is about as interesting as mud. She drove people away with negativity and then expects a stud to magically rescue her.

Tyler being shy on the phone is believable. In most situations I would be empathetic to that plight. However, the profile back and forth got stale quick, and like the recap said, those compliments do not seem genuine when talking about a girl like Alyssa.

That pathetic obviously not full truth confession sums up this episode. Still, the fixation on it felt like a cover for Alyssa's real problem.

Nobody developed as a person from this. I hope both enjoy their perpetually alone futures.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Hellohappylife said:

Once again,we don’t need to see Nev Facetime with his wife. We get it you’re married,so am I who cares!

They're trying to prevent the new episodes from looking like carbon copies of old ones, although I'm not sure it mattered much that she gave the guys the big investigative hint for the episode, rather than leave it to a producer or cameraman again. Maybe she can be a guest investigator once their kid is older. Guest investigators worked pretty well in past episodes.

• Love 1

Eh. Seemed less obviously manufactured than last week's, but still pretty bland. Classy to swear on his mother's life on national television when it's a lie!

This business with Nev's wife.... terrible. Obviously a producer told her the phone number thing was an option so they staged it as her idea. Just to pad the time. I'd rather spend more time with the subjects than watch a bunch of filler with Nev face-timing his wife.

• Love 8

If I ended up on this show they would 100% think I'm a catfish.

The Evidence:

1. I don't tend to post pics of myself, the ones I do are me photoshopped into other pictures which I do for fun. Like me as Catwoman, me as a Victorian Era prostitute, me as Queen Elizabeth.  
  2. I have less than 100 friends on Facebook, which according to Nev and Max means my profile is fake. According to me it means I only friend people I'm actually, you know, friends with. I'm crazy like that.
  3. I loathe talking on the phone (seriously, hate it. I actually have anxiety when the phone rings and stress out about answering it, so I get it)

Holy Shit! I think I am a catfish! hahahahaha, (not really, because I do not talk to strangers online and offer them my love and support or tell them I can't meet because of my dead relative/car broke down/am in jail/enter random excuse here)

Edited by Mabinogia
  • Love 12

Ok Alyssa basically wore sleep shorts and a see through, way too tight, white undershirt!!!

I'm still recovering from last week's catfishee induced eye trauma outfit at least let me catch my breath!

As usua, l I kept wondering if Tyler looked like the fake pic if she'd be willingtongive him another chance.

Nev's wife nerds to stsy off my tv. Her "figuring" out the phone # thing was a total setup too. I don't care that he has a wife and baby! Big deal and it's not what this stupid show is about.

Edited by DiabLOL
  • Love 3

Sorry, but I don't believe that Alyssa no longer wants to talk to Tyler because he lied, I think she's just another person who is only interested in the person in the photo & when it turns out to be someone different, they're done.

• Love 15

I fast forwarded through the entire thing with Nev's wife saying "no one cares, no one cares."

I thought they were trying to double down on crazy this season but this one seemed like pretty standard Catfish fare. What I don't get is how someone can see pictures like Ab Guys and not think they're all over social media. 

• Love 3
On 1/11/2018 at 3:37 AM, AfterwardsTV said:

Tyler being shy on the phone is believable. In most situations I would be empathetic to that plight.

Totally believable for me. I'm 35 and HATE talking on the phone.  When I was younger and doing online dating I usually tried to avoid talking to guys on the phone and this was way before texting was huge. I just wanted to email or instant message.  If they said it was cuz they wanted to hear my voice I would say "well here's my number, you can call and listen to my voice mail message but I'm not answering" LOL

22 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

1. I loathe talking on the phone (seriously, hate it. I actually have anxiety when the phone rings and stress out about answering it, so I get it)

we could be BFF's - I don't even like answering when my family calls me lol and for SURE never answer the phone if I don't know the number.

9 hours ago, GaT said:

Sorry, but I don't believe that Alyssa no longer wants to talk to Tyler because he lied, I think she's just another person who is only interested in the person in the photo & when it turns out to be someone different, they're done.

I think she's probably a little less picky than most people but I think Tyler was a little too much for her to be ok with. Even though she did say she would date him if he would come clean. Him lying was a convenient excuse for her to push him away. 

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, gigiann said:

My DVR recording cut off just as Tyler was getting ready to "tell all" to Nev and Max during the Skype call at the end.  Did he finally admit to being all those other 12 profiles?

Yep, it was him. I was hoping that the big twist the promos keep talking about would be his mother or somebody using his number for the other profiles, but no, it was Tyler.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, GaT said:

Yep, it was him. I was hoping that the big twist the promos keep talking about would be his mother or somebody using his number for the other profiles, but no, it was Tyler.

AHHH HA!!! Figured it was him....just proof to the pudding that Alyssa did the right thing by walking on this guy....I kinda hoped they might work it out.  But sounds like it worked for the best.

Thanks for your reply GaT

7 hours ago, gunderda said:

Totally believable for me. I'm 35 and HATE talking on the phone.

In a phone conversation, you don't get to see any visual cues from the other person, and vocal inflections may be ambiguous. At least email has emoticons.

• Love 3

I agree. Every single time I hear the person being catfished say they wouldn't care if the person was NOT the person in the photos and looks different because they fell in love with the person's personality, I always chalk it up to them being young. Mostly because typically, the average person WILL need to find someone attractive at least partially to want to date them. The other part is because of the person's personality. Most people who are in monogamous relationships don't fall in love with their significant other solely based on their personality. Something about their S/O physically attracted them to that person.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, AriadneB said:

I agree. Every single time I hear the person being catfished say they wouldn't care if the person was NOT the person in the photos and looks different because they fell in love with the person's personality, I always chalk it up to them being young. Mostly because typically, the average person WILL need to find someone attractive at least partially to want to date them. The other part is because of the person's personality. Most people who are in monogamous relationships don't fall in love with their significant other solely based on their personality. Something about their S/O physically attracted them to that person.

And let's be honest, the guy in the photos was way out of Alyssa's league physically. Guys who look like that do not date girls who look like her, & that seems to be the common theme. They all delude themselves into thinking that the really hot person in the photos wants them, when they have to know that it just doesn't work that way.

• Love 7

Holy Shit! I think I am a catfish! hahahahaha, (not really, because I do not talk to strangers online and offer them my love and support or tell them I can't meet because of my dead relative/car broke down/am in jail/enter random excuse here)

Lol! Are you a model/rapper/musician? Then you might be a catfish.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

Lol! Are you a model/rapper/musician? Then you might be a catfish.

I was in a fashion show once and I sing in the shower. That totally counts, right?

4 hours ago, AriadneB said:

Most people who are in monogamous relationships don't fall in love with their significant other solely based on their personality. Something about their S/O physically attracted them to that person.

A person you are not physically attracted to but whose personality you like is usually a friend, not a boy/girlfriend. There has to be a physical attraction to make a relationship intimate. No one wants to date someone they aren't attracted to. So I think when they say "I don't care if that is what they look like" they really mean, it doesn't have to be that exact person, but someone very close to that picture will do. I don't blame her for no longer being interested after she saw the real him. Even if he didn't like about anything else, he did lie and he's not who he said he was. 

• Love 4
21 hours ago, poeticlicensed said:

And who flies across the country and meets thhe love of their life in gym shorts and a tank top?

Someone who doesn't really expect to like what they see. There was a prior episode where a girl who did something like that tried to hide behind one of the guys when she saw that the person matched his pix. The guy didn't care, but it was humorous to see her "OMG, I'm not dressed for this" reaction.

• Love 1
On 1/12/2018 at 8:21 AM, vinnieprice said:

I thought they were trying to double down on crazy this season but this one seemed like pretty standard Catfish fare. What I don't get is how someone can see pictures like Ab Guys and not think they're all over social media. 

All those promos promising all kinds of twists and turns this season, and this was completely by the book. I agree with the recap -- she was happier with her fantasy, and I actually felt more sorry for him than for her at the end. He did own up to his mistakes in the end and his feelings were (apparently) sincere, but she shut him down with no mercy once she saw he wasn't Ab Guy. As said above, nobody developed as a person from this.

One other thing I noticed -- in the email from her, she typed his phone number and it started out 917 and then was blurred, yet when they searched on his number, they used 916 which was a Sacramento area code. What's up with that?

• Love 1