Type keyword(s) to search

Season 7 Discussion

• Start Topic

I thought that's what Nathan said too which creeped me out. I agree about the cereal that was annoying and there's no way the Bates kids were eating that. Tori and Bobby were so annoying about wanting a boy first. I really "loved"? Josie admitting she doesn't like surprises. She likes to know where she's going. So naturally Kelton decides to surprise her. Why? If she doesn't like that then don't do it.  

• Love 4

I agree the oldest Balka siblings must've been back to back to back pregnancies. They could've been triplets they looked so close in age.

I thought Erin did a nice job with the gender reveal party. I had no idea "Cade" was Latin for "fourth generation". Now the nickname makes a lot more sense. I was really turned off that Bobby and Tori were so picky about not wanting a girl. Considering her sister has been struggling for three years to conceive, they should appreciate the blessing they've been given.

The Cheerios product placement? Gag me. Whitney's "this is the only whole grain cereal I can eat" was so fake and rehearsed. 

How much of a "surprise" could the Utah trip really have been? Josie left with Kelton and her parents shortly after they came in, so she conveniently had no more clients for the rest of the day? And conveniently had a clear schedule for the "surprise" trip? Mmmm, sorry, not buying it. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 10
12 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I agree the oldest Balka siblings must've been back to back to back pregnancies. They could've been triplets they looked so close in age.

I thought Erin did a nice job with the gender reveal party. I had no idea "Cade" was Latin for "fourth generation". Now the nickname makes a lot more sense. I was really turned off that Bobby and Tori were so picky about not wanting a girl. Considering her sister has been struggling for three years to conceive, they should appreciate the blessing they've been given.

The Cheerios product placement? Gag me. Whitney's "this is the only whole grain cereal I can eat" was so fake and rehearsed. 

How much of a "surprise" could the Utah trip really have been? Josie left with Kelton and her parents shortly after they came in, so she conveniently had no more clients for the rest of the day? And conveniently had a clear schedule for the "surprise" trip? Mmmm, sorry, not buying it. 

Scripted reality. Nothing is a surprise to them. Well maybe the gender at the reveal parties. 

• Love 3
22 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Kelton told Josie that her next appointment wasn't going to show up because it was fake, so the salon must have been in on the surprise. She must have not been scheduled to work for a few days I assume.

• Love 1

So Kelton is the oldest at 23, his sister is a junior at PCC so she's likely 21-ish, and the brother that was standing next to Kelton and asking where he'd actually do the engagement in Utah/on the jeep tour looks like he's got to be 19-20. The Balkas had their 3 oldest kids back to back. Even the brother sitting next to Kelton that he fist bumped at the end didn't look THAT young -- he had to be aged 14-16 and then the one little sister is 9.

I tend to zone out when Law and Nathan speak so IDK exactly but I thought he said something about -- keep asking if the girl says no. I did think the whole topic being raised by Lawson (of course) was inappropriate. It was the usual -- Kelton is SUCH a planner, he's going to make ever detail of my sister's engagement perfect and romantic and on-time, us Bates aren't planners, hardy-har-har. We get it, we need to talk about how hard it is to plan and be on time for anything in a big family, fine let's discuss that for the 90000000th time, BUT it was unnecessary for Lawson to then say -- Nathan -- he doesn't plan at all, he'll pop the question not even knowing what the answer will be. Damn dude -- that's uncalled esp on TV. We all know that once you start courting in fundie culture you are telling the world you will marry, so a broken courtship is a big deal -- as it was for Nathan and Zach; it's not just like breaking up with a boy/girlfriend of 3 months in a real world, to them it is more akin to breaking up with your boyfriend of 6 yrs that you are living with and de facto married to. But come on Law did you have to bring up something that'll be embarrassing to your brother or maybe something that still makes him feel sad no matter how much he says he doesn't care!? At least he's gotten a girl to be his girlfriend and court him. Sure it didn't work out bc lifestyle and geography of NYC Latina v. Tenn hick was too much, but that's better than you're doing Lawson!? I feel like even Trace tried to deflect/move that convo along when Nathan was then saying something about keep asking the girl, as Trace said -- yeah but it's all good bc I'm going to be Nathan's best man one day.

And for all of Tori and Bobby's yelping about only wanting a boy, congratulating Bobby on making a boy etc. -- I guess it never occurred to them that there appear to be some female fertility issues in the family btwn Erin and Michaela and they're the types of things that aren't necessarily fixed by continuing to try, so I guess it never occurred to them that Tori could've had those too and getting pregnant within 2 months of the wedding wasn't a guarantee!? The dr. even said something about Tori having low progesterone (I think) and that upping miscarriage risk. You'd think with all that they'd outwardly just be thankful for a BABY and then inwardly Bobby could be praying he made Robert Ellis IV.

• Love 8

I did think that Tori and Bobby's vocal desires for a son rather than a daughter were a bit much. They weren't exactly sensitive to Michael who would more than likely be happy with either a son or a daughter if only she could get pregnant. She's never been known for being one of the more sensitive ones though, as she speaks before she thinks and is ready to throw out criticism at the drop of a hat. Paired with Carlin she can be cruel without intention. They are both opinionated and express that easily - except when it came to Tori and her wedding to Bobby. When the girls wanted to paint the bedroom and Josie picked the colors, Tori was against it vocally. She and Carlin criticized many of the dresses that Michael tried on for her wedding, prompting Whitney to comment, "You look beautiful Michael, but that dress doesn't look as good on you as some do." Back when they were occasionally on the Duggars' show, she criticized the colors that Jana was painting the bathroom door, calling them "yuck colors." When she was helping her mother try to lose weight before Michael's wedding, Kelly asked if this was going to make a difference at all and suggested jokingly that perhaps Tori should be the maid of honor instead. Tori brusquely told her, "It'll help after the wedding."

While it is fun to have an opinion and share that when she says such things it can be mean to another person who has shared something with you. I'm not advocating lying to a person, but for a group of people so big on encouragement, Tori seems to have lost that gene.

• Love 3

Wow. Can these two attention whores really not think of anyone other than themselves? Josie’s wedding is in two weeks. They couldn’t wait til after that to announce this train wreck.  Josie and Kelton were very kind, and wouldn’t even start courting until after Tori’s wedding. Guess Carlin doesn’t give a shit. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, FaithfullyYours said:

Wow. Can these two attention whores really not think of anyone other than themselves? Josie’s wedding is in two weeks. They couldn’t wait til after that to announce this train wreck.  Josie and Kelton were very kind, and wouldn’t even start courting until after Tori’s wedding. Guess Carlin doesn’t give a shit. 

Remember her speech at Tori's rehearsal? She was supposed to be saying nice things about Tori and Bobby, and instead made it all about her. How she was jealous, she wished she were the one getting married and on and on. I'm not surprise she could care less about stealing Josie's thunder. 

I guess destination engagements are the new trend; as long as UP is paying for it. 

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Remember her speech at Tori's rehearsal? She was supposed to be saying nice things about Tori and Bobby, and instead made it all about her. How she was jealous, she wished she were the one getting married and on and on. I'm not surprise she could care less about stealing Josie's thunder. 

I guess destination engagements are the new trend; as long as UP is paying for it. 

I remember that. That was terrible! Great now we get to listen to her talking non stop about her wedding before and during Josie's. 

• Love 3

I'm preparing myself for rolling my eyes when Carlin tries to pull off being surprised by the whole thing. On that beach trip to South Carolina, Carlin was practically throwing out her left hand to Evan every few minutes. If they didn't have those modesty rules, she probably would have strip searched him for the ring. Tori was worse, but I'm sure Carlin will rank up there with the whole attention grabbing. Maybe Michael can fly back in and critique each dress Carlin tries on like Carlin did for Michael so rudely. 

Edited by RebeccatheWriter
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, flyingdi said:

Have any of the Bates had a best man or maid of honor who wasn't immediate family?

I don't think so. Most of their attendants are family and spouse's family. Given that they have never really interacted beyond a once or twice a year visit with anyone their own age until they go to Crown College, it's not that surprising. It's something that bothers me about both this show and the Duggars. The parents have friends and former classmates, etc. These kids don't have that interaction. It's not a slam against homeschooling, but usually, homeschool parents will work with a co-op or local church groups to ensure there is that social element. 

For example, Tori who they try to say is shy and reserved, was also shown not wanting to leave school or her classmates because she was enjoying having friends outside the family. 

• Love 5
On 9/5/2018 at 10:26 AM, TeamNoOne said:

I get the feeling that while Zach loves his family he thinks his parents theology and outlook is way off. He seems to have figured out that you can be a conservative Christian without creating a bunch of extra-biblical rules and regulations.

For the life of me I can't figure out why the Bates and Duggar girls don't know how to cook. One of the main jobs of a stay at home mom is to put a good dinner on the table for her husband when he comes home from work, you would think this would be especially important in the Gothard world. Yet most of these girls seem completely clueless in the kitchen. Getting one or two cooking lessons from mom while the cameras are rolling is not a substitute for learning how to cook from mom over the course of many years.

I think their biggest issue is that the way you'd cook for a husband and wife is very different from 20+ people. And instead of taking the time to invest in smaller scaled cooking, it seems left off. I'm sure these kids know how to cook in the same way they were raised, but why do that for 2 people? Unless you're Jill Duggar, 

• Love 2

Wow, poor Chad. It just never ends for him, does it?

Don't worry, Mr. Balka. I highly doubt the scary, tattooed female tour guide has any interest in stealing pictures and a letter.

I liked the home makeover. Pretty slick of them to turn it into show fodder so UP provides the budget. 

Callie is too adorable.

Kelly has packed on a ton of weight. I know it's been mentioned upthread, but I didn't really notice it until tonight.

The proposal was nice but so dragged out I was like " good grief, would you just get on with it!" by the end of the episode. I wonder if Josie and Kelton have already kissed. They were going in for it after he gave her the ring and then remembered their parents were watching and shifted to a hug. Hmm...

I'd love to know the back story of why Whitney was removed from her bio parents care.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 6

Wow that was a long engagement proposal and judging from that article it seems destination engagements are now a thing. 

I do like Kelton, and I do like Josie, and I think I'll like them together. 

The Cheerio's placement was fairly obvious though we are a Cheerio loving family.

The upgraded living room was nice, but why didn't we get a reveal? I wanna see Kelly and Gil's reaction!

• Love 6

Josie's getting a sweet, devoted husband, isn't she? ♥️

I can't imagine such a private moment with a TV camera and sound crew, inquisitive parents taking pictures, and absolutely no privacy at all.

And it must be nice to have a TV channel pay for re-decorating. Hmmm.

• Love 6

None of the strangers they meet is the least bit interested in them. It's weird.

Kelton was telling the flower shop lady his story and she's like, "Thank you.  You can go now."

Whitney's telling the wedding planner that her parents weren't at her wedding and the planet's reaction is like, "Whatever!"

• Love 3

I agree the proposal dragged on way to long. It was a nice idea and a nice start. But then it just went on and on. I wasn't a fan of Michael acting like the woman was going to make off with the pictures and letter. Having a tatoo doesn't make her a thief Michael. 

Poor Chad once again stuck doing a crap load of work. I will say the house looked nice. I'm not really into Erin's style and the comments about her being a designer still annoy me she knows one design. That's it. And not to be picky but did Kelly actually want her house to be repeated and stuff thrown out? Did Erin know her mother would love the color? Maybe she did but I'm still remembering her at Michael's and trying to get Michael to follow her visit and not liking anything Michael wanted.

I know Whitney doesn't have say anything but it is hard hearing her constantly talk about how her parents weren't at her wedding and that's one of the reasons she wants to do the renewal. But won't say why they weren't at the first wedding. Why weren't they Whitney? Why were you living with the Owens? Why did you suddenly drop them and reconnect with your parents?  

• Love 3
4 hours ago, flyingdi said:

None of the strangers they meet is the least bit interested in them. It's weird.

Kelton was telling the flower shop lady his story and she's like, "Thank you.  You can go now."

Whitney's telling the wedding planner that her parents weren't at her wedding and the planet's reaction is like, "Whatever!"

Don't forget the bus driver's reaction to Kelton's father wanting those packets placed. It wasn't really an ask from him. He was just more like, here's what's going to happen.

I get that they want to be modest and pure, blah, blah, blah. But seriously I would not be happy with my mother videoing every moment between me and my boyfriend along with a camera crew. No, they weren't going to let them go on a trip together without chaperones, but it was just way too cozy to me. They also drive me insane with wanting to be there for every courtship proposal and marriage proposal. They'll (Kelly mainly) will be a part of picking the dress, the location, the flowers, the cake, etc. I'm all for being a part of your child's life, but dang let the girl breathe a little. Maybe wait to be invited to participate or asked a question before rushing in there. Are they going on the honeymoon too? 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, flyingdi said:

Yesss!!! I noticed that too. I get that for Kelton it's a huge deal, but when it comes to flower shops, Speshul Occasions are the bulk of their business. If the clerk's heard one engagement spiel, she's heard them all. I also think Whitney was dying for that one lady to ask why her parents weren't at her first wedding, but the woman wasn't gonna go there.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, RebeccatheWriter said:

They also drive me insane with wanting to be there for every courtship proposal and marriage proposal. 

During one of the packet openings, Kelly got right in there with them looking at what was in there.  It's just such a bizarre thing to see during what most of us think is a moment for two people.

• Love 10
11 minutes ago, sATL said:

I'm lost with Whitney's backstory.. her adoptive parents were not at the wedding or her birth parents ? So which ever father was missing at the wedding who walked her down?

From my understanding, Whitney was removed from her bio parents' care by the State. She was adopted while in foster care and it was her adoptive parents who attended her first wedding. At Kelly's urging, Whitney reconnected with the bio parents and the adoptive parents are no longer in the picture. 

CPS doesn't terminate parental rights unless there is serious neglect, abuse or drugs in the home. I'm kind of intrigued by Whitney's willingness to forgive. If the parents had substance abuse issues and they've since gotten clean, I could understand, but if the problem was physical or sexual abuse, then I give a major side-eye, especially since the grandparents regularly babysit the kids. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

From my understanding, Whitney was removed from her bio parents' care by the State. She was adopted while in foster care and it was her adoptive parents who attended her first wedding. At Kelly's urging, Whitney reconnected with the bio parents and the adoptive parents are no longer in the picture. 

CPS doesn't terminate parental rights unless there is serious neglect, abuse or drugs in the home. I'm kind of intrigued by Whitney's willingness to forgive. If the parents had substance abuse issues and they've since gotten clean, I could understand, but if the problem was physical or sexual abuse, then I give a major side-eye, especially since the grandparents regularly babysit the kids. 

At one point something Whitney had said led some people to believe her biological parents had died in an auto accident or something. Then right after she and Zach got married that story went away. I don't know how much was online, but that was the talk around the area. A lot of local people were very surprised when Whitney's parents "changed" with the show. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, flyingdi said:

Kelton Balka looks like he should be starring in something on the Disney Channel.  

There's also something odd about that kid.  That is all.

He's big into mansplaining.  He over explained those packets, that needed no explaining.

• Love 9

Bates kids , well Erin, realized what a can of paint can do. I would have stained the front door a wood color, as opposed to matching it to the kitchen table, though. Is the reveal on youtube ?

Josie and Carlin dumped a bunch of clothes on the bed that came from a hamper. I guess they were clean...

Not to be mean and exclude anyone - but I really wish Kelly stayed further back. Sit at a different table - be more than 2 steps and an earshot away. She gets too involved in moments that should be her kids moments. Keep your physical distance and them them share their memories.  Her husband is there - go off in a corner with him. She knew the proposal was coming - what if Kelton wanted to mention to Josie how beautiful she was or the physical attributes he liked , or was attracted to ? 

I didn't know it was that warm in Utah in Sept- when they supposedly got engaged.   At least Kelly shed that vest. Now I would have packed it for Utah.

hmmm.. the love language topic came up again -  "Quality time" is their language.

Gotta give ole Kelton credit - he stepped up the long planned out proposal event - he did it on a destination trip - that evolved a couple of flights. He bested Josiah's trip to the family farm and getting on one knee by a stack of hay decorated with upside down hanging flowers. 

Edited by sATL
  • Love 2

Whitney - listen to your husband. Just serve a bucket of chicken, macaroni and cheese, lemonade/tea and cake & ice cream and he will be happy. And so will everyone else. ...When the lady started talking about draping fabric, seating arrangements, and going though a checklist - I was like this is really too much. Fast Foward.

Putting on this big show for your bio parents who weren't available for the 1st deal, that was only 5 yrs ago is unnecessary and a waste of money. I wonder if part of this is her bio-dad is laying on a guilt story that he didn't walk her down the aisle 5 yrs ago and now he feels bad.  Give them a copy of the video. Re-establish your relationship with them in future events.

• Love 6

I feel like everything on this show is created to make Kelly happy.  The elaborate courtships and proposals seem more for her sake than they do for the kids.  

The vow renewal is probably happening cause Kelly seems to feel Whitney should get along with her birth parents.

i just feel the kids would be happy being a lot less extravagant if it weren't for Kelly's input.

Gil seems to want his kids to be happy, Kelly seems to want them to live out some sort of fairytale.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, sATL said:

Bates kids , well Erin, realized what a can of paint can do. I would have stained the front door a wood color, as opposed to matching it to the kitchen table, though. Is the reveal on youtube ?

Josie and Carlin dumped a bunch of clothes on the bed that came from a hamper. I guess they were clean...

Not to be mean and exclude anyone - but I really wish Kelly stayed further back. Sit at a different table - be more than 2 steps and an earshot away. She gets too involved in moments that should be her kids moments. Keep your physical distance and them them share their memories.  Her husband is there - go off in a corner with him. She knew the proposal was coming - what if Kelton wanted to mention to Josie how beautiful she was or the physical attributes he liked , or was attracted to ? 

I didn't know it was that warm in Utah in Sept- when they supposedly got engaged.   At least Kelly shed that vest. Now I would have packed it for Utah.

hmmm.. the love language topic came up again -  "Quality time" is their language.

Gotta give ole Kelton credit - he stepped up the long planned out proposal event - he did it on a destination trip - that evolved a couple of flights. He bested Josiah's trip to the family farm and getting on one knee by a stack of hay decorated with upside down hanging flowers. 

They got engaged on June 19. Easy for me to remember because it's my birthday. 

20 hours ago, flyingdi said:

I feel like everything on this show is created to make Kelly happy.  The elaborate courtships and proposals seem more for her sake than they do for the kids.  

The vow renewal is probably happening cause Kelly seems to feel Whitney should get along with her birth parents.

i just feel the kids would be happy being a lot less extravagant if it weren't for Kelly's input.

Gil seems to want his kids to be happy, Kelly seems to want them to live out some sort of fairytale.

This is going to sound a little armchair psychologist, but I'm going to post it anyway. Kelly has said on camera more than once that she wants her children (especially the girls) to consider her a friend. And you can really see this in how she gets so involved with everything and doesn't even mention anyone's upcoming wedding as their own. When Michael and Tori got married, it was all about the wedding and her stress level and her preparations. She participates in the bridal showers/wedding showers, the manicure/pedicures, etc., like she is just one of the girls. My own mother is involved, but happily took a back seat to my best friend who planned my shower and my friends who took me away for a weekend to relax. Kelly doesn't seem to know how to do that. There are pictures that the girls went away to New York for (among other reasons) a trip for the sisters in prep for Josie's wedding. While she isn't in the pics I've seen, no doubt Kelly was right there with her daughters and tagging along on every outing. 

I had wondered if it was because of the cameras. Maybe she was asked to be more involved to be able to narrate a bit of the story rather than the girls, but all the girls are perfectly capable of it. Then I realized something. When Kelly was explaining her own family, she mentioned that her parents divorced and her sisters lived with the father and she lived with the mother. That's odd to say the least. But it might be a sign of Kelly's own desire for that close relationship with sisters leading her to be the way she is around her daughters. It truly is like she is trying to be the "oldest Bates girl" rather than the matriarch of the family. She seems (to me) more mother-like with her sons than her daughters. With the boys, she offers advice and gives them direction (Nathan with his failed courtship and Trace with his whether to go to school or work). With the girls it like she loses that mother instinct and starts laughing and cutting up with them (in her own way) as if she is just one of the girls and they can tell her anything. My mother and I were talking after the episode where Michael said she picked Kelly to be her matron of honor. I asked my mom if she had expected me to do that when I had gotten married. My mom's response was, "Hell no. I wouldn't have wanted to have to wear some ugly dress and stand up there in front of God and everyone. I liked being able to walk in and sit down."

I think Gil seems more like a parent. Yes, he does the fake tears over losing another daughter, but it is at least role and age appropriate in some ways. I think he would be happy to be asked about giving his blessing for a proposal and then learning how it went down. I don't know that he necessarily wants to be there for each one other than to make sure they don't kiss or whatever.

P.S. I thought it was hilarious that they acted like it was some big deal that Kelly would ride with Kelton and Josie. It's the only logical way it would have worked for them. Josie and Kelton would ride together. Kelton's father could have rode with them, but that seemed unlikely. That would have left Josie with three men unrelated to her at all. Kelton's father is fundy, but he may well not have the exact same standards as Gil and Kelly. So if Gil rode with them that would leave Kelton's father Kelly alone with the driver in the other 4X4. The fakest thing was that normally on those excursions, one person rides in the front with the driver and 2-3 in the back. There was no need for them to be sandwiched in like that except for the awkwardness of the show. 

• Love 8
On 9/29/2018 at 12:08 AM, sATL said:

Did you see all the tags that were still on those dresses? 

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, iluvobx said:

I thought I saw that too. I know I have a lot of brand new clothes with the tags still on just waiting for me to pack them up for a "surprise trip." 

$10 says that there was some sort of "love language" topic at a recent ATI or IBLP event that these families all went to at some point. It's coming up way too often to just be a casual thing. A quick search showed the IBLP catalog that includes The Five Languages of Love by Gary Chapman on page 12. https://issuu.com/iblppublications/docs/11-13-15_2016_publications_catalog

• Love 1
17 hours ago, sATL said:

Here's the wedding website (  link )

This part of Kelton's story stood out to me, and I haven't been watching the show so I don't know if he talked about it:

Josie and her parents both felt that she was a bit too young for a serious relationship. Late that semester, Josie ended our friendship and I thought there was no chance of a future together. I was crushed. I had never met a girl like Josie, and I couldn't understand what God was doing or why Josie had ended what was just beginning. For a year we didn't talk or see each other. I was hurt, and didn't even want to come near the Bates Family, even when Bobby came to town to visit Tori. 

Did Josie feel like she had to end their friendship because it was too hard to be around him? 

4 minutes ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

This part of Kelton's story stood out to me, and I haven't been watching the show so I don't know if he talked about it:

Did Josie feel like she had to end their friendship because it was too hard to be around him? 

I don't think Josie had a choice. I think Gil ended it for them. 

• Love 4

Anyone else confused by "forgive" who did he have to forgive in his story? Josie for ending their relationship? She is allowed to do that if that's what she wants. What does that mean?

42 minutes ago, iluvobx said:

They did? On all those dresses? That was a lot of dresses.

2 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I don't think Josie had a choice. I think Gil ended it for them. 

This was pretty much confirmed by the conversation they had on Mama Jane's front porch. Gil definitely put the kibosh on young Josie's "friendship" with Kelton.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, RebeccatheWriter said:

Anyone else find it slightly amusing that some of the items on Josie and Kelton's registry come from the Ellen DeGeneres collection? Just me? 

I know, that is kind of amusing. But if they say they don't watch teevee, then maybe they really don't know anything about her?  

• Love 2

I tried, I really did. But I just could not watch the Josie/Kelton engagement ep. I got as far as the first charm and found myself in a diabetic coma. That the parents encourage these over the top displays of "love" is just plain weird.

I will say, Josie (and all the Bates girls) are stunning. With Gil and Kelly being attractive but average, I just don't know how it happened.

• Love 6