Type keyword(s) to search

Season 7 Discussion

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

I've only been able to watch bits and pieces of this season, but Lawson's promotion of his music career is getting tiring. I very much doubt that he is ready to settle down yet, but he sure knows how to play up his 'Most Eligible Bachelor' status among fundies.

It comes off as so disingenuous. I'm not a fan of Lawson, but he's undeniably a good-looking guy. I doubt he'd be hard up for female companionship if he really wanted it. All this "woe is me, I'm single and can't hang out with my siblings" is getting old. You're like 25, dude. Go out and make some friends. 

I also wanted to say I'm happy Evan is in school to become an electrician. I was afraid I was going to be stuck in permanent eye-rolling mode if he and Carlin tried to do the traveling ministry gig. There's already enough of those in Fundieland. They need more men with real jobs. 

Tori came off much better this episode. She's much more tolerable when she's away from her family. 

Bradley's dog is adorable, but I hope the doghouse is just a place for him to relax. It makes me sad the way none of these people pay attention to their pets and don't allow them in the house. Whitney seemed really affectionate towards him, so hopefully he's an inside/outside dog.

• Love 14
21 hours ago, BitterApple said:

This may sound crazy, but watching Kelton's dad, I think he'd be the perfect spouse for someone like Jana. Good-looking mature guy, financially comfortable, nice house and cute, polite children. I think she'd thrive in a ready-made family and it would get her the heck out of the TTH. Assuming Mr. Balka is early 40s, it would be a bit of an age difference, but not inappropriately so.

Absolutely agree!!!!  Jana is 27/28, so it would only be a 15 +/- age difference between her and Kelton's dad.  Not a big deal at all.  Hopefully somebody is reading these posts and BITTERAPPLE will be credited for the match!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Pasha Kitty said:

Absolutely agree!!!!  Jana is 27/28, so it would only be a 15 +/- age difference between her and Kelton's dad.  Not a big deal at all.  Hopefully somebody is reading these posts and BITTERAPPLE will be credited for the match!

Mr. Kelton has probably been fighting off the ladies for years.  I don't think Jana would stand out to him.

If he's 51, keep him away from Jana. In their world, she is easily young enough to be his daughter. That said, with Kelton being his oldest, he got a late start procreating. Smuggar had 4 kids at the same age Pa Balls had his first. 

Let that sink in.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, BitterApple said:

If I'm not mistaken, I believe she's partially deaf. 

I noticed last night that she wears her hair down, almost in a style to cover her ears on purpose. Do we know if she wears a hearing aid and she tries to hide it with her hair? I could swear I remember seeing her wear a hearing aid maybe a season or two ago; perhaps she is reaching the age where she is self conscious about how she looks and wants to cover it up?

I really, really hope Whitney bought a cushion, pillow or something soft to put on top of the wood floor of the dog’s doghouse...and that the doggie gets to sleep indoors at nighttime!

I didn’t watch the video when W & Z shared their miscarriage news, so I don’t know how far along she was or when it happened. However, now that we know she had a miscarriage, did anyone else notice a slight baby bump in the most recent episode? I swear when she wore the red dress outside to plant flowers, I saw what I thought was a tiny belly. 

Edited by Bridget
  • Love 3

These episodes were filmed in early spring. Whitney announced her pregnancy at the cow renewal in June. From what  could gather from Zach's announcement on the FB Live a couple weeks ago, he led us to believe that the miscarriage happened a while ago. He made time references that implied that it wasn't recent. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Pasha Kitty said:

but... does Kelton's dad want to keep adding children to his family ? esp now he's had a few years (sad to say) w/o having a infant every year or so. Jana most likely would want a children of her own.... can't deprive Michelle from making a fool of herself at a birth - esp of her eldest daughter..

Edited by sATL

I was just saying it wouldn't be the worst option. As it stands now, Jana's 28 and nobody's interested. Tabitha Paine ended up with a rapist because the pickings are so slim for "older" singles in their cult. At this stage of the game, meeting Fundie Prince Charming isn't going to happen, so she has to be realistic about her choices. I didn't realize Kelton's dad was already in his 50s, but a similar situation with someone a little younger wouldn't be so bad. Plenty of guys become dads in their 40s, so if Jana wanted one or two kids she could probably have them.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

I was just saying it wouldn't be the worst option. As it stands now, Jana's 28 and nobody's interested. Tabitha Paine ended up with a rapist because the pickings are so slim for "older" singles in their cult. At this stage of the game, meeting Fundie Prince Charming isn't going to happen, so she has to be realistic about her choices. I didn't realize Kelton's dad was already in his 50s, but a similar situation with someone a little younger wouldn't be so bad. Plenty of guys become dads in their 40s, so if Jana wanted one or two kids she could probably have them.

We don't know that nobody is interested.  It looks to me like Jana hasn't found anyone she is interested in. 

• Love 2

Josie’s deadpan expression during Gil’s chaperone lesson was priceless. I think maybe Zach picked up on that and strongly volunteered with Whitney to be chaperones.

Have any of the Bates ever mentioned continuing the chaperone/dating rules with their own children? I feel like this was not the norm for any of the in-laws  Maybe there’s a glimmer of hope that this won’t be forced upon the next generation. 

• Love 1

Josie seems to be over the whole charade. A few episodes back the family was teasing her about hiding an engagement. Josie, dead serious, said "If I want to get married, I'll tell you I'm getting married." I also remember when she and Kelton went on the triple date with Bobby, Tori, Evan and Carlin. Tori and Carlin were being their typical loud, immature selves and Josie had this expression on her face like "get me out of here." I think she's going to end up Fundie-lite like Alyssa. I don't see her clinging to the family after marriage like Erin or catering to Kelly's whims like Michael. She seems pretty strong willed for such a young woman.

• Love 7

I can't believe this didn't end up on UP's cutting room floor. During that 'chaperone lesson' scene, Zach put it to Gil and Kelly and said that THEY would like to know what THEIR PARENTS DID when they were dating....They know very well that their parents were not held to any such ridiculous standards...they were two college students in a real university, met, DATED and got married. Gil and Kelly's faces were telling. Gil stopped in his tracks and shut his mouth for a moment. I, myself, would have wanted him to answer the question and explain just what they did when they dated. Good for Zach for putting it to his parents. Part of me would like to believe that Whit and Zach think those stupid rules are just that and throw them out the window in their own lives. Nothing wrong with telling your children to 'wait for marriage' for sex. People need social experiences and to not always be guarded by a family member or 'friend' when away from their parents.

• Love 15

Tori actually got a degree. I'm not sure what they delegated Josie's matriculation since she wasn't licensed until she took an independent exam. But Trace earned a certificate that wasn't worth the paper they printed it on. 

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Tori actually got a degree. I'm not sure what they delegated Josie's matriculation since she wasn't licensed until she took an independent exam. But Trace earned a certificate that wasn't worth the paper they printed it on. 

I haven't watched the episode, but Trace walking in the graduation for a stupid Bible certificate is ridiculous. I know Clown isn't an academic powerhouse, but like you said, Tori put four years in and earned her Bachelor's while Josie studied a trade and is actually working in her field. Fundie boys must have an inflated sense of accomplishment because I would've felt like a complete idiot preening like a peacock in a cap and gown to receive a useless piece of paper. 

• Love 8

As if she wasn't giving them free haircuts before she graduated.

28 minutes ago, tabloidlover said:

My bad.  When they said Tori earned whatever they called it, I was sure it wasn't a real degree.  

She got as BS, which I think is....well....BS.

• Love 6

When Tori said something akin to “...now it’s time to move on...” about graduating from college, I rolled my eyes so hard they almost got stuck in my head. 

She/her parents/Up TV paid for a degree in education (clearly one where grammar and vocabulary don’t count) and apparently her idea of “moving on” is to pop out babies instead of actually putting her degree to use.

I’m a teacher and I simply cannot imagine her having the patience to deal with students in any way, shape or form.

Apparently Erin’s cooking lesson also included the most important part of Fundy Food Prep: long hair must be worn as close to the food as possible! Erin did have some of her hair pinned back, but Tori’s hair was pretty close to the garlic and basil she chopped. 

Also, total # of times Tori used the word “dump”: 3. 

• Love 5

It's unbelievable to me that these grown women, like Erin, Tori, and the grown female Duggars have absolutely NO CONCEPT of how to put a dish together and cook it. Tori behaved as if she just landed on Mars when in the kitchen with Erin. Michelle Duggar and Kelly Bates have trumpeted how they ' trained' their daughters to be housewives and mothers, the traditional roles for women their whole lives; yet none of these daughters know anything about cooking, cleaning or ironing clothes.....traditional duties for housewives. What does that say about them? That Michelle and Kelly don't know how to do anything themselves and have BADLY prepared their daughters....or that they have lied about 'mastering their jurisdictions' before moving on to the next one". I specifically remember those interviews.

Tori is just annoying overall. There is nothing that that girl likes. Her poor husband is going to be left frustrated and pulled down by her demeanor. I also think she is the laziest of the Bates females.

• Love 9

I'm in FL so the rules might be different here than in TN. Did Tori student teach her last semester, did she take her State certification test to teach? Is she fit only to teach Sunday School? Why bother with the degree and time/money spent to never use it? Her degree was not in early education but some Bible learning course.

This one was a snoozer.  I'm glad I always DVR this show.  When it's an episode that doesn't progress in anyway, I always fast forward through it. 

When they have absolutely nothing going on to move the show forward, all TLC has to do is showcase the younger kids.  I would enjoy watching an entire show filmed around the interaction and TH with the 5 youngest, especially Jeb and Judson. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, sadtvjunkie said:

I'm in FL so the rules might be different here than in TN. Did Tori student teach her last semester, did she take her State certification test to teach? Is she fit only to teach Sunday School? Why bother with the degree and time/money spent to never use it? Her degree was not in early education but some Bible learning course.

Someone explained earlier this year how Tori would be eligible to teach at a Christian school in TN after “graduating” from Clown College with only a BA degree. 

However, I am still in a state of shock over the requirements to teach K-5 at a private school based on Clown’s system. Tori did have to student teach during her last semester at Clown, but I am dying to know how long that part was and how much actual teaching she did. Some student teachers don’t get to do much teaching at all because their Master Teacher doesn’t give up any control nor will they even let student teachers interact with the students.  I can understand that aspect of it a wee but. If I had a student teacher who clearly wasn’t cut out to be a teacher, there is no way that I would deprive my students of an education in the event that the student teacher wasn’t able to improve as the they went along. 

It’s really a lottery system in terms of getting a Master Teacher. You either get one who is willing to “throw you in the deep end” and take over after observing for a few days (which were my experiences during both semesters) or you get one who gradually eases you in, if at all.

I’m in CA and attended a Calif State University,  but even if I attended a private school, there is no way anyone can be eligible to teach after only four years in the state of CA. Private schools, either religious ones or prep schools, require all teachers to have taken and passed a series of exams (including the CBEST & CSET). 

My teaching credential program process included the following:

1. A BA/BS degree 

2. Three non-degree related pre-requisite courses to even be eligible to apply for admission to the teaching credential program. One of those classes also included 40 hours of observations in different schools to make sure the potential teacher knew what grades they wanted to teach. Signatures of the teachers we observed were required - and verified! No one could get away with only 10 hours of observing!

(I took those pre-req courses along with my BA. It was extra work, but it meant I would be eligible to apply to the School of Education sooner than later) 

3. Taking & passing the CBEST was a pre-requisite for admission into the program too. It costs $$ and for those of us who don’t test well, it’s a lot of pressure. 

4. One year long, full time, post-grad teaching credential that consisted of two semesters. (Part time programs were available, but it takes forever to earn a credential that way.) 

Both semesters were identical in that we were took courses, completed assignments & projects and gave presentations for the first eight weeks of each semester. The second eight weeks of both semesters was exclusively student teaching. We all had two different student teaching experiences and it was the best “on the job training” ever. In fact, I’m still learning new things 10 years after I started teaching!

5. In order to student teach the second semester, we also had to have passed the Multiple Subject CSET.

The CSET is an awful exam that one has to pay $$$ for and consists of three different sub tests. It’s part of the No Child Left Behind act that W enacted. It’s designed to “prove” we were smart enough to teach.

Not only did it make many of us cry, but a good number of my ppl in my cohort (myself included) had to re-take certain sub tests (and continue to pay to take the exams) until we passed them. I was in a program designed to focus on teaching Middle Level Students, which is simply a fancy way of saying I was focusing on middle school (grades 6-8).  

You can also take a Single Subject exam in more than one subject area to add onto your qualifications, which means you have “totally mastered the content” and can teach high school, which is what many of us did, but not until we actually taught for a year or two! 

There are sample CBEST & CSET tests online if anyone is curious. There is no way Tori, who thinks a cooker is the person who prepares food, would have ever passed any of the exams.

Side note: It’s a nitpick, but when Kelly & Carlin talk about how “it’s time to do school”, it drives me up the wall. A person does the dishes or does the laundry.

I know they don’t “go to school”, but I wish (I know, I know) they’d come up with a better phrase for their home fooling. Maybe  something like “It’s time for school” or “School starts at X o’clock.” 

Sorry for the mini-dissertation! I knew I was fired up about the “Tori can be a teacher now” topic, but I didn’t realize how fired up (and shocked!) I still am!

Edited by Bridget
  • Love 7
(edited)

Oh, CSET & CBEST. I didn't pass one of the essay sections and had to retake it at my expense. Not to mention getting fingerprinted, background check, and required CPR training. 

Tori could never teach in CA. At least in public schools. 

I noticed that they don't award degrees for secondary grades. Tori's degree is in elementary education. I guess even Clown knows its limits.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2

Certified teacher here in TN. Crown College's program does not line up with the requirements to teach at public or most private schools in the state. Occasionally, you can find a job without the credentials, but it is rare, as the school has to prove it has X% of teachers with degrees and certification to maintain accreditation. With the exception of certain areas (inner city or reservations, etc.), there is no shortage of teachers and applicants right now. 

Crown's early childhood education program is neglecting many of the requirements to obtain certification. I graduated in 2009 (a horrible time for teachers to graduate since there were few jobs to be had). I had to take four courses on teaching reading. I had four classes related to math. Three classes were about science and three about social studies. There were two classes on special education and ESOL that were required even be allowed to sit for the certification exams too. Additionally, we had to take human growth and development, classroom management, preschool education, and educational philosophy and theory. We had a two-semester student teaching experience at two grade levels that included weekly observations by our mentor professor and multiple evaluations by our lead teacher(s). This was in addition to the traditional core curriculum. 

According to Crown's website, Tori had such tough classes as penmanship, marriage and the family, and Baptist history. According to the videos from Crown, the student teaching component is a portion of a single semester that focuses more on observation than actual teaching. Partner schools tend to be tutoring programs and home-schooling partner programs through churches. 

While Tori surely learned a few things in her program that will help her homeschool her own children (God help them), I would doubt her ability to actually be a teacher in the traditional sense of the word. 

• Love 10
On 8/18/2018 at 2:22 PM, floridamom said:

I can't believe this didn't end up on UP's cutting room floor. During that 'chaperone lesson' scene, Zach put it to Gil and Kelly and said that THEY would like to know what THEIR PARENTS DID when they were dating....They know very well that their parents were not held to any such ridiculous standards...they were two college students in a real university, met, DATED and got married. Gil and Kelly's faces were telling. Gil stopped in his tracks and shut his mouth for a moment. I, myself, would have wanted him to answer the question and explain just what they did when they dated. Good for Zach for putting it to his parents. Part of me would like to believe that Whit and Zach think those stupid rules are just that and throw them out the window in their own lives. Nothing wrong with telling your children to 'wait for marriage' for sex. People need social experiences and to not always be guarded by a family member or 'friend' when away from their parents.

I cackled when he stopped them in their tracks with that question! Zach and Whit were without chaperones quite a bit and they admitted to kissing before their wedding. He met her at her place of employment (I want to say it was a Sonic or something similar) and went there all the time to hang out while she was working. I do hope they will be more relaxed with their kids, especially since Zach had that horribly awkward failed courtship before Whitney entered the picture. Any kind of life experience separate from the family clutches is for the better.

The fact that these offspring a little ways down the line have no domestic skills clearly proves that Kelly and Michelle were no longer parenting. Once they had Michael/Alyssa and Jana/Jill to take over the cooking and sewing and whatnot, the ones in Tori's and Joy's positions learned nothing if their older buddies didn't teach them. I'm from a liberal, feminist family and I could at least cook some decent meals before I moved out. As could my brother, who does all of the cooking in his household. 

That tree business makes me so nervous. I'm amazed Kelly allows it! She worries to death over everything, yet sends off tween and teen boys to work one of the most dangerous jobs there is! Nathan is so totally over it and I don't blame him. He'd rather be pursuing his own interests, but he has to train his brothers because Gil... can't? Won't? 

Edited by Squirrely
  • Love 2

Bachelor's Degree in Biblical Studies Elementary Education.. think that's what they announced when Tori received her 'degree'. I agree that this is not worth the paper it's written on. She and Trace (?) who received that bible 'certificate' wasted their time and their accomplishments are not worth the paper they are printed on. (Most likely from the school office computer.) Only Josie can actually use her training to cut hair. She has training to actually work at a profession, but no continued education beyond Bates homeschooling.

I thought that Gil was dressed up nicely in a suit, dress shirt and tie for this ceremony. Then there was Kelly, frumpy as ever, in her awful daytime casual cotton blouse, awful skirt and vest...with awful make believe shoes. Why do these men, (Jim Bob Duggar included) dress up in suits when their wives look like improperly dressed frumps next to them at the same events? Doesn't Kelly know how to go to the thrift store and find herself a decent dress and shoes to wear?

• Love 3

I noticed Bobby, Kelton and their families were dressed up as well. I'm surprised Kelly doesn't have one or two nice ensembles for more formal events.

After watching tonight's episode, no wonder Nathan doesn't care about the tree business. Gil has his sons doing all that work and he isn't paying them?! Jackson would do best to stick with Chad. 

I know these people are much more loosey-goosey than the average parent, but I thought that one girl (Addie?) was a bit young to be watching Erin's kids. I'm wondering if there wasn't another adult off-camera who took the little ones out for a while so they could film. That house seemed way too quiet during the cooking and dinner scenes. 

I love how Erin pronounces oil as "all" and meal as "mill."

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Oh, CSET & CBEST. I didn't pass one of the essay sections and had to retake it at my expense. Not to mention getting fingerprinted, background check, and required CPR training. 

Tori could never teach in CA. At least in public schools. 

I noticed that they don't award degrees for secondary grades. Tori's degree is in elementary education. I guess even Clown knows its limits.

Do you remember how the passing score for the CSET is 220?

Not to brag, but can you guess who kept getting 218? (Way too many times that I care to share!)

My therapist says I will be over it soon. ?

It was kind of interesting to keep seeing the same faces pop up at the testing centers though. It also confirmed my beliefs that hardly anyone was able to pass those exams the first time through!

PS: In California, one also has to pass the RICA exam. It’s another “pay more money to take this additIonal exam” that demonstrates that a teacher can design a reading/literacy plan for students who are below grade level. I took that stupid thing twice!

Edited by Bridget
  • Love 3

I think Katie has an interest. He was in CA and she was in CA --(possibly his hometown but was attending PCS) both recently.

Anywho, I made a comment on Katie's Instagram and his about each being in CA at the time ...and it was deleted. Possible it was deleted by both because it isn't true BUT he seems to like everything Katie Post's which could be nothing or maybe something down the road...she isn't 18 till October.

What do others see or think??

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Sounds like you struck a nerve.

I dont know bad or good...neither blocked me? 

ETA I know Katie deleted within hours and he within  a few days. 

Possibly it could be nothing.

Edited by LisaWl7TR
On 8/25/2018 at 11:03 PM, Nysha said:

If they didn't block you, I'm betting you're probably right but they don't want to make it public yet.

So...maybe every one should ignor the post way above and hope it is in an upcoming episode. 

Edited by LisaWl7TR

the men left Trace at home b/c he had a hurt ankle? Sounds a little wimpy. He could have came and sat in a chair to direct/teach the younger boys. Its not a bad idea to have a safety lookout anyway - for weather, traffic, stray branches,  etc. Got lunch/water. It it wasn't his driving ankle he could at least drove.  Just being out there with his brothers is the bigger picture - even if he's limited what he could contribute physically. He seemed to be walking just fine at the ceremony - I was expecting to at least see a crutches..

One of the boys made a joke/reference to "Sanford and Son" when describing the tree business -you mean they know about ole (late) Redd Foxx? I wonder if they've seen any of his comedy acts - as he was in the era where his jokes were far from "clean"..

Erin - I like the ambition she is taking on cooking. Sounds like she's been reading cookbooks and/or found the food network. Mariande , basil, making a pan sauce...you go Erin. Shut up Tori and stop interrupting during the lesson..Erin could barely finish a sentence.

Crown has teachers with Phds ..hmmm. 

Tori was wearing a graduation hood that I have only seen those who earned masters degrees..

Edited by sATL
  • Love 6
On 8/24/2018 at 7:45 PM, floridamom said:

I thought that Gil was dressed up nicely in a suit, dress shirt and tie for this ceremony. Then there was Kelly, frumpy as ever, in her awful daytime casual cotton blouse, awful skirt and vest...with awful make believe shoes. Why do these men, (Jim Bob Duggar included) dress up in suits when their wives look like improperly dressed frumps next to them at the same events? Doesn't Kelly know how to go to the thrift store and find herself a decent dress and shoes to wear?

I'm just glad she shed that vest. It's a crying shame it has to be TN-May weather (I'm guessing the college graduation was in May) is the only thing to make her put them away.

She should have a "collection" of dresses from weddings. If they are long (ie too formal for daytime events) have Michealla shorten them.

And/or have Michealla make a few nice daytime dresses/two piece coordinates/ suits to wear.  

shoes - no cobblers in the family?  :)

Edited by sATL
  • Love 1
On 8/24/2018 at 5:51 AM, floridamom said:

It's unbelievable to me that these grown women, like Erin, Tori, and the grown female Duggars have absolutely NO CONCEPT of how to put a dish together and cook it. Tori behaved as if she just landed on Mars when in the kitchen with Erin. Michelle Duggar and Kelly Bates have trumpeted how they ' trained' their daughters to be housewives and mothers, the traditional roles for women their whole lives; yet none of these daughters know anything about cooking, cleaning or ironing clothes.....traditional duties for housewives. What does that say about them? That Michelle and Kelly don't know how to do anything themselves and have BADLY prepared their daughters....or that they have lied about 'mastering their jurisdictions' before moving on to the next one". I specifically remember those interviews.

Tori is just annoying overall. There is nothing that that girl likes. Her poor husband is going to be left frustrated and pulled down by her demeanor. I also think she is the laziest of the Bates females.

On the subject of cooking - how come the the mothers of the men who are marrying the non-cooking Bates girls aren't at least teaching them one or two dishes?

It could be a nice bonding/get-to-know each other better by inviting the daughter-in-law to be over and teach a few basic meals. Start off  with the son's favorites.  

On the Duggars I thought it was a nice touch for Jermey's grandmother to teach how to make traditional Italian meatballs & sauce.  Ben's sisters had a whole meal lesson - I forgot what the entree was, but apple pie was the dessert. All of these Bates girls married men whom I am sure their mom (or in Josie case , Kelton's dad) can put a few ingredients together for a meal.

Edited by sATL
added clause for Josie

The cooking thing baffles me as well, because at the end of the day it really isn't that hard. You can buy frozen veggies that steam right in the bag. Mashed potatoes, rice and pasta are easy. You can season chicken and pork chops and toss them in the oven. Why do these girls act like they're splitting the atom when they're asked to make a basic meal? 

• Love 5