Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

If Joe doesn't want any more children, get a vasectomy.  Just sayin'.

2 hours ago, quarks said:

The writer/producer doubling seems to be another budget/cost saving thing - they have the writers working with the production/set/scheduling people to get a sense of what actually can be in the episode.  AK was talking about a season one episode where their set guys looked at the script and said, well, we can't do that, but maybe we could do this.

There's multiple reasons for this. One, the writers weren't responsible for the big thing that triggered the drop in the live numbers for season four: the Oliver/Felicity breakup. They just wrote the dialogue. (Badly, in my opinion, but that's a separate topic.)

From my armchair quarterback position, I think having the writers double as producers may be a good thing for them too.  It can give them a sense of what's possible and what's not.  Often creativity comes out of trying to work around restrictions.

That said, I'm not sure the writers haven't a greater responsibility in the drop in numbers because of the break-up.  Breaking up Oliver and Felicity would have been unpopular in Olicity quarters but I think how it was done was the real killer for the general fan.

7 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

Wally left after no one noticed he was gone all episode and when Cecile suggested Joe sell the house, only Barry got consulted about losing his childhood home.  Sorry Iris. But was anyone surprised? 

Barry's Special Snowflake status really gets in the way of making this a better-written show because it stagnates the show and also makes people behave in ridiculous ways that they excuse Because Barry.  (I'm still angry about Barry repeatedly lying to Patty because of what it says about Barry.)

When they move on to giving some autonomy to the other characters, such as Cisco's romance or even Iris taking greater leadership in the team, the show becomes more interesting.

4 hours ago, Miss Dee said:

It made me realize that for all we laugh at how entertainly stupid the show is, the Legends writers really are pretty adroit for the most part with how they inject humour and goofiness into the show.

Yes.  We laugh at The Flash but we laugh with LoT.

And spreading out the storylines over eight characters gives them a lot more to work with.

• Love 4

@Morrigan2575, I think this is the post you were looking for:

On 10/18/2017 at 0:31 PM, Velocity23 said:

The unrounded numbers for CW shows for their premiere week

http://www.spottedratings.com/2017/10/spotted-ratings-tuesday-101717.html (in the comment section)

Here are the Week 3 FINALS for CW:

The Flash ...................... 1.052
Riverdale ....................... 0.802
Supernatural .................. 0.721
Arrow ............................. 0.601
Legends of Tomorrow ... 0.565
Supergirl ........................ 0.531

Dynasty ......................... 0.331
Valor .............................. 0.285
Jane the Virgin .............. 0.284
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend ........ 0.222

1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I'm now curious to see if Supergirl or LoT will hit 0.4 at some point this season.

I agree with @lemotomato.  I think all three will hit 0.4 before the end of the season.  I'm curious to see if any of them hit 0.3.

3 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

It's fascinating that Supergirl is routinely (ok only 2 episodes) below LoT and Arrow when talking unrounded numbers

Yeah it is to me too, especially when you consider that it has the highest viewership of the three.  I know that means it has more viewers that are not in the 18-49 demo, but I don't know how to tell whether that means that it has more younger viewers (<18) or more older viewers (>49).

5 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

Supergirl will be above LOT this week. 

True.  The unrounded preliminary ratings (from Spotted Ratings comments)

Supergirl ............0.534  (0.546 ... 0.521)

Valor .................. 0.197  (0.213 .... 0.181)

The Flash ...........0.977  (1.000 ... 0.954)

Legends .............0.483  (0.530 .. 0.436)

Next week, The Big Bang Theory (now on Mondays) is moving back to its old time slot on Thursdays at 8:00 pm, followed by the return/debut of Young Sheldon at 8:30 pm (starting Nov. 2). I wonder if that will affect Supernatural's ratings? Or improve Supergirl's ratings?

Edited by tv echo
2 hours ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

I thought Flash and LOT have pretty much the same tone and that more people would stick around but LOT loses more than a million Flash viewers. 

Maybe they went to bed? :-) The only people I know who watch the Flash are under 13 with 9:00pm bedtimes.  They are the only reason their parents watch. At 9 channel changes.

Wasn’t game 2 of the World Series last night? Surprised Flash rose in the demo.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, tv echo said:

Or improve Supergirl's ratings?

I don't know about Supernatural, but they did this last year too, with TBBT, and I don't think it helped Supergirl's ratings at all.  So I wouldn't expect any improvement there, but they might surprise me.

1 hour ago, Sunshine said:

Maybe they went to bed? :-) The only people I know who watch the Flash are under 13 with 9:00pm bedtimes.  They are the only reason their parents watch. At 9 channel changes.

That's my impression too.  But isn't there a 14+ or With Parental Approval warning on it?

‘Daredevil’ Brings Back Vincent D’Onofrio For Season 3; Erik Oleson Joins As New Showrunner
by Dominic Patten  October 25, 2017 12:00pm
http://deadline.com/2017/10/daredevil-vincent-donofrio-returns-erik-oleson-showrunner-season-3-marvel-netflix-1202194518/

Vincent D’Onofrio has been set to reprise as Wilson Fisk for the third season of Daredevil, I’ve learned. As the Kingpin crime lord, the Emmy nominee was the main villain in Season 1 of the Netflix series and made an imprisoned appearance in last year’s Season 2. The ex-Law & Order actor hinted to fans recently that official word on his Daredevil return was in the cards with a banner photo of the Fisk character up on his Twitter page

In Addition to D’Onofrio’s return, Erik Oleson will be taking over as showrunner as things gear up on the New York City set of the Charlie Cox-led series. Marvel and Netflix haven’t announced a launch date for Daredevil‘s Season 3 — nor for Jessica Jones or Luke Cage’s second seasons for that matter.
Oleson, most recently an executive producer and writer on Amazon’s The Man in the High Castle, more than made his superhero bones from spending a season and more as a co-EP on the CW’s Arrow.

Edited by tv echo
8 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

That's my impression too.  But isn't there a 14+ or With Parental Approval warning on it?

I don’t remember I haven’t watched except for crossovers since S1.  I would be surprised if it did though.  One is a relative and I know she wouldn’t be able to watch live if that was the case. It would have to be prescreened by Grandma first.

14 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

Wasn't there talk of Paul Blackthorne appearing on Legends of Tomorrow early-ish in the season? Was anything more ever said about that? 

Yeah I remember hearing something about that too.  But not lately - I wonder if it got dropped?

Fall TV’s Winners and Losers
Jen McDonnell   October 25, 2017 
http://www.dose.ca/2017/10/25/fall-tvs-winners-and-losers-0

LOSER (NEW SHOW): Marvel’s Inhumans
No show arrived with worse reviews than ABC’s Inhumans, which Variety called a “slapped-together, incoherent, cheap-looking mess.” Audiences seem to agree, with the first episode pulling in extremely modest viewership, with each subsequent episode’s ratings falling more and more.  Don’t expect this one to stick around much longer.
LOSER (NEW SHOW): Valour
Confession: The CW is my favourite network and I will pretty much watch anything they air, whether it’s their superhero franchises or their female-forward dramedies like Jane the Virgin and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. But even I couldn’t pretend to be interested in their new military drama – and apparently, I wasn’t alone. The series debut came in last place on the night of its premiere in the key 18-49 demo. Even for The CW (the network which cares the least about ratings), that’s gotta hurt. 
WINNER (RETURNING SHOW): Riverdale
The second season of the teen soap Riverdale managed to achieve the impossible: the ratings nearly doubled year over year – even though it moved timeslots and had no lead-in. It even outperformed new episodes of CW mainstays like Arrow and Supernatural, and it grew its teen audience by a whopping 400%. Perhaps the end of Pretty Little Liars left younger viewers looking for a new sexy, mystery-filled soap. We’re also guessing that the first season being available on Netflix over the summer meant audiences could binge and catch up before the second season began.
LOSER (RETURNING SHOW): Comic Book Superheroes
Is superhero fatigue finally setting in? Supergirl’s premiere tied with its series low, while The Flash had its lowest rated season premiere to date. Despite their viewership drops, we don’t expect these two super-powered protectors to hang up their capes anytime soon since they are on a network that doesn’t worry too much about ratings. The same may not be true for Fox’s Gotham, which hit an all-time ratings low this season.

Live +7 ratings

The Flash 1.8 (4.773 mil viewers)

Riverdale 1.4 (3.748 mil viewers)

Supernatural is not listed on the top 25 shows, their  live +3 numbers  were(1.0, 2.819 mil viewers)

Arrow 1.1 (2.698 mil viewers)

Supergirl 1.0 (3.117 mil viewers

Legends Of Tomorrow 1.0 (2.850 mil viewers)

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/dvr-ratings/week-3-broadcast-live-7-ratings-oct-9-15-2017/

Edited by Velocity23
  • Love 1

Some superhero movie/tv nominees for 2017 HMMA Awards...

Hollywood Music in Media Awards Announces Nominees in Film, TV, & Video Game Music
October 24, 2017
https://www.shootonline.com/spw/hollywood-music-media-awards-announces-nominees-film-tv-video-game-music

The Hollywood Music in Media Awards (HMMA) announced today the nominees for music in film, TV, videogames, commercials and trailers. The HMMA nominations have historically been representative of the nominees of key awards shows that occur months later.  HMMA nominees are chosen in specific genres for film, TV and videogame including dramatic feature, sci-fi/ fantasy, documentary and animation. HMMA nominees represent visual music from around the world including Spain, UK, Argentina, France, Norway and Australia.  This year, HMMA has added the category, “Best Music Documentary.” The new award recognizes a documentary about music that educates, exemplifies the process, and/or displays the impact of music. The 2017 HMMA event will be held at The Avalon Hollywood 1735 Vine Street on Thursday, November 16, 2017. A portion of the proceeds will benefit Education Through Music - Los Angeles (ETMLA). For tickets and additional information and a complete list of nominees, visit http://www.hmmawards.com  
ORIGINAL SCORE - SCIFI/FANTASY/HORROR FILM

• Alexandre Desplat - The Shape of Water (Fox Searchlight)
  • Benjamin Wallfisch, Hans Zimmer - Blade Runner 2049 (Warner Bros)
  • Marco Beltrami - Logan (20th Century Fox)
  • Mark Mothersbaugh - Thor: Ragnarok (Marvel/Disney)
  • Michael Abels - Get Out (Universal)
  • Rupert Gregson-Williams - Wonder Woman (Warner Bros)

ORIGINAL SONG - TV SHOW/LIMITED SERIES

• “Bulletproof Love” (Luke Cage) Written & Performed by Method Man (Netflix)
  • “Charles Grodin” (Patriot) Written by Steve Conrad & Michael Dorman. Performed by Michael Dorman (Amazon)
  • “Power” (The Get Down) by Elliott Wheeler, Baz Luhrmann, Homer Steinweiss, Donna Missal, performed by Donna Missal and Travis Jones (Netflix)
  • “Powerful Magic” (Once Upon a Time) Written by Alan Zachary and Michael Weiner, Performed by Ginnifer Goodwin & Josh Dallas (ABC)
  • “We Tapped That Ass” (My Crazy Ex-Girlfriend) Written by Adam Schlesinger, Rachel Bloom & Jack Dolgen. Performed by Rachel Bloom (The CW)

MAIN TITLE THEME - TV SHOW/LIMITED SERIES

• Ali Shaheed Muhammad, Adrian Younge - Marvel's Luke Cage (Netflix)
  • Bruce Broughton - The Orville (Fox)
  • David Buckley - The Good Fight (CBS)
  • Hans Zimmer, Loren Balfe – Genius (NatGeo)
  • Mac Quayle – Feud (FX)
  • Nick Urata and Daniel Handler - A Series of Unfortunate Events (Netflix)

SOUNDTRACK ALBUM

• Baby Driver (30th Century Records)
  • Beauty and the Beast (Walt Disney)
  • Good Time (Warp Records)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy, Volume 2 (Marvel Music)
  • Served Like A Girl (We Are Hear)
  • The Fate of the Furious (Artist Publishing Group, Atlantic Records)
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Race into action in this all-new original adventure based on the hit CW TV series, The Flash

In a timeline where Flashpoint never happened, The Flash (aka Barry Allen) must face a mysterious villain who can control the minds and actions of citizens. But when Hocus Pocus, as he calls himself, takes control of Barry, it’s up to Team Flash to help the Scarlet Speedster before he’s forced to do the unthinkable. Written by New York Times bestselling author Barry Lyga, this is one adventure fans of the TV series won’t want to miss!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1419728156/ref=cm_sw_su_dp

I've never been the biggest Legends fan, it was just too much for me. I don't know if it's that the world is a mess, me needing something light, but I decided to give it a chance this season. I heard Vixen was getting focus, and they were bringing in Zari,  two things that interested me and I'm surprised to say I have really enjoyed it. I didn't like the eps I saw last season, with the exception of the xover, but this season has been somewhat ridiculously charming? I will admit that I am surprised with myself & just how much I enjoyed those last 3 eps.

Flash was also a show I dropped. Last year I would DVR and ff everything to only watch Iris scenes lol. I hated the Savitar story and them showing Iris being killed over and over, but I've enjoyed these last few eps. Granted, I still hate Barry, can't stand Caitlin, Cisco I like but he also gets on my nerves, and Wally is just there. However, all the Iris stuff has made it worth it to me. I've really enjoyed her and her material this season, so while it's still on DVR (because I watch Lethal Weapon live), I'm not ff as much.

• Love 8

Flash spoiler below is about 405 (the episode that guest stars EBR and Kate Sackhoff) - Arrow spoiler is quoted in the spoilers thread...

Spoiler Room: Scoop on Arrow, The Flash, Grey's Anatomy, and more
NATALIE ABRAMS OCTOBER 26, 2017 
http://ew.com/tv/2017/10/26/spoiler-room-arrow-flash-greys-anatomy/

Anything about Caitlin Snow/Killer Frost journey on The Flash and her connection with Amunet Black? — Clarice
The connection between Killer Frost and Amunet will be explored in-depth during the upcoming fifth episode — Killer Frost returns during the bachelorette party, which leads to an interesting, if not enlightening, night for the ladies. “When Killer Frost shows up, Iris has a lot of compassion for Killer Frost and a lot of compassion for Caitlin and is pivotal in helping Caitlin reconcile herself with her past and some of the mistakes that Killer Frost made,” Danielle Panabaker teases.
Are Ray and Zari going to be a thing on Legends of Tomorrow? — Kendra
Though Ray has been lacking when it comes to the ladies, it doesn’t sound like the show is going that route. “I don’t know that Zari has romance on the mind at all,” Tala Ashe says. “What you’re going to find out this season is that her priorities are on something very, very different, so I don’t foresee that being a setup for a romance between them. I think she and Ray are going to be pals maybe down the line, but I don’t think it’s a romantic thing.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

Marvel's Runaways Trailer (Official) • A Hulu Original
Published on Oct 26, 2017, by Hulu

Marvel's Runaways drops new trailer
NATALIE ABRAMS OCTOBER 26, 2017
http://ew.com/tv/2017/10/26/marvels-runaways-trailer/

The Hulu series, which is based on the 2003 comics of the same name, follows six teenagers who can barely stand each other but who must unite against a common foe: their parents.

For those who haven’t read the comics, some of those teens end up having superpowers — you can spot Karolina Dean (Virginia Gardner) glowing in the trailer, for instance — but some have weapons, like Gert’s (Ariela) genetically engineered velociraptor named Old Lace. Yes, that’s right, there’s a freaking dinosaur on this show.

Edited by tv echo

You know, most of the spoilers around Zari have really avoided saying whether or nor she's going to have a "thing" with anyone. I really like that.

I suspect the writers were caught kind of flatfooted when fans complained about Amaya ending up with Nate instead of Mick, with whom she had great chemistry. Combine that with their surprise over how popular Captain Canary got...maybe they've actually learned their lesson and want to take their time and see what "pops" for fans before committing themselves to any more relationships.

Edited by Miss Dee
Clarified my thoughts
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, JJ928 said:

I've never been the biggest Legends fan, it was just too much for me. I don't know if it's that the world is a mess, me needing something light, but I decided to give it a chance this season. I heard Vixen was getting focus, and they were bringing in Zari,  two things that interested me and I'm surprised to say I have really enjoyed it. I didn't like the eps I saw last season, with the exception of the xover, but this season has been somewhat ridiculously charming? I will admit that I am surprised with myself & just how much I enjoyed those last 3 eps.

It started becoming ridiculously charming for me sometime last season. It wasn't always great but it ended up being consistently fun and finally had some Flarrowverse writers who knew how to write for an ensemble and mix and match characters every week. Even the LOD had an episode where they argued over the mission and then learned the value of teamwork and honesty. :) And they did the greatest thing of all, made me happy that Malcolm Merlyn was still alive to chew scenery. 

The first two episodes of this season were slightly meh, especially ep 2 IMHO but ep 3 has more than made up for it and Ep 4 with Teeny Ray looks fun. I will laugh if they use the same street for Ray's childhood home as they did for Olicity's domesticity in same location in S4. I love that Amaya is staying for Zari and I hope Sara gets in on that rather than being stuck with an Ava centric plot. 

2 hours ago, Miss Dee said:

You know, most of the spoilers around Zari have really avoided saying whether or nor she's going to have a "thing" with anyone. I really like that.

I suspect the writers were caught kind of flatfooted when fans complained about Amaya ending up with Nate instead of Mick, with whom she had great chemistry. Combine that with their surprise over how popular Captain Canary got...maybe they've actually learned their lesson and want to take their time and see what "pops" for fans before committing themselves to any more relationships.

Well there are some spoilers about who her love interest might be and Amaya didn't have one (apart from her dead one) until literally the ep she hooked up with Nate "for warmth" yeah it was that cliché, although it gave Nick Zano the chance to deliver one of his best lines: "Hitler ruins everything" in a dead pan way. I really miss Captain Canary. I know WM did not want to be a regular in S2 but yeah they had chemistry and its not surprising that Sara might warm (pun not intended) to someone who is also on a redemption journey which didn't have the baggage she and Oliver or she and Nyssa did. 

• Love 1

Press releases for Week 6 of CW DCTV.

MONDAY, NOVEMBER 13

SUPERGIRL

"Midvale" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, DLV) (HDTV)

ESCAPE DOWN MEMORY LANE - Kara (Melissa Benoist) and Alex (Chyler Leigh) head home to Midvale for a little R&R. While there, Kara recalls a painful memory of a childhood friend's death and how that traumatic experience brought the Danver sisters closer together. Izabela Vidovic plays Young Kara and Olivia Nikkanen plays Young Alex in flashbacks. Rob Greenlea directed the episode written by Caitlin Parrish and Jess Kardos (#306). Original airdate 11/13/2017.

Source: http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listings/20171026cw01/

TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 14

THE FLASH

"When Harry Met Harry... " - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, DLV) (HDTV)

ONE HARRY, TWO HARRYS, THREE HARRYS, FOUR - When collectors of Native American artifacts are attacked by a meta named Mina Chayton (guest star Chelsea Kurtz) who can bring inanimate objects to life, Barry (Grant Gustin) turns to a surprising ally for help. Determined to crack the identity of The Thinker, Harry (Tom Cavanagh) enlists Cisco's (Carlos Valdes) help to summon the ultimate think tank: "The Council of Wells'," a roundtable of the brightest Harrison Wells' from various Earths. Brent Crowell directed the episode written by Jonathan Butler & Gabriel Garza (#406). Original airdate 11/14/2017.

Source: http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listings/20171026cw03/

TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 14

DC'S LEGENDS OF TOMORROW

"Helen Hunt" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, DL) (HDTV)

A DIFFERENT KIND OF WAR - When the Legends track down an anachronism in 1930s Hollywood, they discover it's none other than a time-displaced Helen of Troy and she's just started a war between two film studios. As the Legends try to fix history and return Helen (guest star Bar Paly) to the Bronze Age, things get complicated when they are blindsided by the appearance of a former enemy. Sara (Caity Lotz) contemplates an offer she is made, which would make the Legends leave the anachronisms be. Meanwhile, Stein (Victor Garber) and Jax (Franz Drameh) find themselves in an unusual predicament. Dominic Purcell, Brandon Routh, Nick Zano, Maisie Richardson-Sellers and Tala Ashe also star. David Geddes directed the episode written by Keto Shimizu & Ubah Mohamed (#306). Original airdate 11/14/2017.

Source: http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listings/20171026cw04/

THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 16

ARROW

"Promises Kept" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, DV) (HDTV)

OLIVER MAKES A BIG DECISION - As Slade (guest star Manu Bennett) continues to uncover clues about his son's last few years, Oliver (Stephen Amell) makes a big decision. Meanwhile, the Green Arrow (David Ramsey) leads the team into battle against "The Dragon," a villain who is stealing valuable tech in Star City. Antonio Negret directed the episode written by Oscar Balderrama & Rebecca Bellotto (#606). Original airdate 11/16/2017.

Source: http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listings/20171026cw08/

Professor Pyg is a creepy fucking villain and Gotham did him right. He escaped so more creepy to come. 

I don’t want to get my hopes up but the girl Bruce is kissing in the preview for next episode looks just like Talia. Pleeeeeeeeeeeease Gotham! You gave me a perfect Ra’s so I know you can give me a perfect Talia. 

B89440EE-16DE-4575-8278-72FB2A9673D2.gif

• Love 2

Discussed latest episodes of LoT, Arrow, Flash, Supergirl and Gotham (Arrow section is quoted in Starling City Times thread)...

DC TV Watch: Meet 'Legends of Tomorrow's' Newest Team Member
OCTOBER 27, 2017 8:00am PT by Sydney Bucksbaum
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/dc-tv-watch-legends-tomorrow-tala-ashe-interview-1052182

A surprising connection | But one person she'll bond with is Amaya (Maisie Richardson-Sellers) because they both possess mystical totems that grant them powers. “It’s still a bit of a mystery, but I know that the totems are what’s bringing them together and what links them to Kuasa, who is also a totem-bearer,” Ashe said. “The connection between the totem-bearers does come to a larger part of the season at a certain point.” Executive producers Marc Guggenheim and Phil Klemmer revealed that Zari's totem comes directly from the Zambesi totem storyline explored in CW Seed's animated series Vixen season two. "Not that it's required viewing, but if you wanted a sense as to where we're headed, Vixen season two is what I would check out," Guggenheim teased. That arc introduced the fire totem, and it's clear Zari currently possesses an air totem which allows her to fly. Meanwhile, villain Kuasa is able to dissolve into and weaponize water, so she's using some kind of water totem. Klemmer revealed that an earth totem along with a "mystery totem" will later be introduced this season.

Much-needed female bonding | What's most exciting about Zari's addition to the team is the opportunity it brings for some badass female empowerment storylines between her, Amaya and Sara (Caity Lotz). “Since the beginning of the show we recognized that there was not a lot of estrogen on the bridge of the Waverider,” Guggenheim said. “We really, really wanted to bring on another female character.” Ashe is proud that in most episodes, they're passing the Bechdel test and promised some exciting scenes with all three ladies are coming in future episodes.

That ending explained | It was the stinger scene at the end of the episode, however, that delivered the biggest shock of the night as it revealed Ray's (Brandon Routh) past that looked more than a little familiar as a flashback showed him as a young boy riding his bike away from a group of bullies only to find a friendly extraterrestrial being in the woods. Next week's episode will continue that storyline and reveal what happened in Ray's past to make him who he is today. "We're doing an episode where it's a send up to the Amblin films of the '80s, very Stranger Things," Guggenheim teased. "It's a story as Ray Palmer as a young boy befriends an alien, kind of like Elliot in ET, the twist being the alien he befriends is a baby Dominator. Chaos ensues. It's crazy. You don't even know." Added Klemmer, "There's a dance number. Someone has sex with – well, not fully, but somebody [tries] with a space alien. And it's going to be on Halloween, which is perfect."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

Kyle and Natalie talked about this week's episodes of Supergirl, Flash, LoT and Arrow (Kyle also raved about Thor: Ragnorak)...

Superhero Insider: New and returning faces step up on CW's super series
NATALIE ABRAMS OCTOBER 27, 2017 
http://ew.com/tv/2017/10/27/superhero-insider-arrow-flash-supergirl-legends-tomorrow/

-- Kyle saw a screening of Thor: Ragnorak last night and said; "You guys - and I am very comfortable in declaring this - my favorite of the MCU movies. It's so good. It's incredibly - I mean, it's incredibly funny... but also some of the action beats are some of the best stuff they've done... It looks amazing. I haven't had this much fun at a comic book movie since probably the first Guardians of the Galaxy. It is on that level of utter cinematic joy... I wholeheartedly endorse it." He also teased that there are "a series of cameos in the first, like, ten or twenty minutes of the movie that are all spectacular."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

I was very surprised by some of this writer's picks for "Good" and "Bad," especially since this article is published at CBR (f/k/a ComicBookResources) - needless to say, I agree with some picks but disagree with other picks...

8 Horribly Cast Arrowverse Roles (And 7 They Actually Got Right)
Oct. 26, 2017  by Shaun Stacy
https://www.cbr.com/bad-and-good-arrowverse-castings/

14. GOOD: STEPHEN AMELL AS OLIVER QUEEN/GREEN ARROW
.  .  .
A seasoned actor who has had roles in edgy shows like Queer as Folk and Hung, Stephen Amell was relatively unknown when he was first cast as Oliver Queen/Green Arrow. However, he soon won fans over with his earnest portrayal of the haunted hero of Star City who struggles for redemption while keeping his city safe. While the storylines haven’t always been able to allow this actor to shine, it is Amell’s performance that is one of the main reasons people still watch the show after five seasons.
10. GOOD: EMILY BETT RICKARDS AS FELICITY SMOAK
.  .  .
Emily Bett Rickards was cast as Felicity Smoak in what was only meant to be a one-episode guest star stint in season one, but following positive reaction from her co-stars, Warner Brothers and viewers, she was upgraded to a series regular in season two and has been an integral part of Team Arrow ever since. Not bad for a girl who starred in a Nickelback video.
7. BAD: KATIE CASSIDY AS BLACK CANARY
.  .  .
Considered a modern-day scream queen after turns in Black Christmas and A Nightmare on Elm Street, Katie Cassidy had her breakthrough in television when she was cast as Arrow‘s Laurel Lance in 2012. While she did fine playing Laurel as an attorney, it was when she took up the mantle of her dead sister’s superhero identity, Black Canary, when the real problem started. The look of the new Black Canary was off-putting and Cassidy seem to be uncomfortable in the role, which showed.
5. BAD: GRANT GUSTIN AS THE FLASH
.  .  .
Unlike John Wesley Shipp, the actor who played the Flash in the 1990 series, Grant Gustin completely misses the mark of being a lighthearted speedster who is trying to learn how to use his powers to help people. Gustin’s performance has been all over the place, from being overly naive to the cockier, more self-centered Flash as of late. Gustin could take some cues from Shipp’s performance by adding more depth to his character.
3. BAD: JOSH SEGARRA AS PROMETHEUS
.  .  .
Josh Segarra has been acting for more than a decade, so when it came to light who Prometheus was on Arrow, we were hoping for just a bit more of a performance than what was delivered. As Adrian Chase he worked alongside Oliver Queen for the first half of the season, then it just went downhill from there. Chucking pretty much any link to the source material, this Prometheus seems meant to be The Joker to Green Arrow’s Batman, leaving most of their interactions feeling forced.

15. BAD: DANIELLE PANABAKER AS KILLER FROST
14. GOOD: STEPHEN AMELL AS OLIVER QUEEN/GREEN ARROW
13. BAD: CHRIS WOOD AS MON-EL
12. GOOD: CAITY LOTZ AS SARA LANCE/WHITE CANARY
11. BAD: CANDICE PATTON AS IRIS WEST
10. GOOD: EMILY BETT RICKARDS AS FELICITY SMOAK
9. BAD: MEHCAD BROOKS AS JAMES OLSEN
8. GOOD: VICTOR GARBER AS MARTIN STEIN
7. BAD: KATIE CASSIDY AS BLACK CANARY
6. GOOD: CALISTA FLOCKHART AS CAT GRANT
5. BAD: GRANT GUSTIN AS THE FLASH
4. GOOD: JOHN BARROWMAN AS MALCOLM MERLYN