Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

44 minutes ago, Cleanqueen said:

But nope, all we got was "You're not the Flash, We are" and "we're barry and iris, we're the golden standard".

Look, I have no skin in this game but that is the worst line, OMG. I'm cringing inside.

• Love 10

Imagine being your own biggest stans.

"Um... Barry, do you really have to invite everyone you've ever met from all the different Earths to your wedding?"

"Of course! We have to show them what they should aspire to be! Our love is the golden standard."

• Love 8

I feel like they just really needed to get Barry and Iris to the point where Iris would be having her bachelorette party in 405 and they would be having this big wedding in the crossover that brings everyone (including people traveling through time and from another Earth) together.

After all, haven't they already teased something about problems after they're married? So right now, it's just about getting them to a place in their relationship where 405 and 408 can happen. 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

How did the couples therapy/episode end? Was there any kind of resolution or did they just put it all aside for now?

it ended with Barry agreeing that yes "they're the flash" and Joe saying "did I miss something?"-because apparently he was oblivious to them having issues the whole episode.

But Iris let her feelings known about how now that they're engaged, he has to start thinking of them as a unit and not just himself.

Oh another annoying part was in order to write  Iris in to a leadership position, they started giving her skills in tech and medicine; suggesting at one point they stop his heart to make the new flashy suit cooperate.

• Love 4

Just what the Arrowverse needs - yet another way to bring someone back from the dead (does Gotham now have first dibs on the Lazarus Pit?)...

Legends of Tomorrow star on Kuasa's resurrection
NATALIE ABRAMS OCTOBER 17, 2017 
http://ew.com/tv/2017/10/17/legends-of-tomorrow-kuasa-resurrection-amaya/

Here’s what this all means: Mallus has the ability to bring people back from the dead! Legends fans already assumed as much since the producers had previously hinted that the Damien Darhk (Neal McDonough) who would be returning this season is a post-season 4 of Arrow version of the character, meaning he’d somehow be resurrected. Also, EP Marc Guggenheim previously told EW that the events of Vixen would factor into Legends this season. If Mallus can bring anyone back to life, who else could be next?! The possibilities are endless!

Edited by tv echo

What a surprise - DCTV Couch Club's Flash reviewer considers WestAllen the gold standard couple of the DCTV Universe (I don't think this person has even watched Arrow, just based on this article) - also, O/F were officially a couple, living together quite happily for 9 months, which is more than "a handful of months"...

The Flash: The Gold Standard
By Ashley V. Robinson   Tuesday, October 17th, 2017
http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2017/10/17/the-flash-the-gold-standard?sf122933227=1

The race toward Barry Allen and Iris West’s wedding is well underway on The Flash season four. It’s shaping up to be at least featured, if not an integral part of the four-way crossover this fall. In today’s episode, “Mixed Signals,” we are led to believe that maybe things aren’t running along as smoothly as possible. Yet, in spite of some rough patches throughout the episode the couple repeatedly refers to their West/Allen-ness as the “gold standard.”
I also like West/Allen’s use of “gold standard” just within the closed continuity of the show because they are one of the only functional couples that we have in the #DCTV universe. I’m sure there are some Olicity fans screaming at their computer screens, but Oliver Queen and Felicity Smoak haven’t stayed together for more than a handful of months at a time and they seem determined not to be together—although if you aren’t watching Arrow that romance is back on the rise, so be sure to tune in for your fill!

Even from The Flash’s first season when Iris was with Eddie and Barry was with any number of other women (including, for a brief while, Felicity—do you think that ever causes awkward moments between Barry and Ollie?), they were both at their best when working in tandem. The instances of collaboration between Barry and Iris have always highlighted the strengths of these respective characters and really showed what made them individuals, but also unique as a pair. They are the purest partnership in this universe (and that includes Supergirl, despite the fact that it takes place on a different Earth), that has remained together for the longest time with the least amount of interpersonal drama.
Simply put, Barry Allen and Iris West are the gold standard couple of the #DCTV Universe. They are the best suited for each other, the most mature and the pair that most deserves a culmination of their lifelong affection. Maybe their nuptials were messy in their original incarnation—and there’s a good chance they will be on screen as well—but I, for one, am looking forward to them.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, tv echo said:

I also like West/Allen’s use of “gold standard” just within the closed continuity of the show because they are one of the only functional couples that we have in the #DCTV universe. I’m sure there are some Olicity fans screaming at their computer screens

Nah. I wouldn’t call any couple in this universe a gold standard. They’re all messed up in their own ways - in ways that never get addressed the way they should, but...I certainly wouldn’t want my ship proclaiming themselves that (unless it was sarcasm). Yikes. 

• Love 13

Another Olicity reference in another Flash review (who knew The Flash was really a love story?)...

IT'S BARRY AND IRIS VS. COUPLES THERAPY (AND KILG%RE) IN THE LATEST FLASH
Trent Moore   Oct. 17, 2017
http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/its-barry-and-iris-vs-couples-therapy-and-kilgre-in-the-latest-flash

It’s a fascinating study of how superhero-ing affects a relationship, especially when looked at in parallel to the wonky relationship between Oliver and Felicity (don’t come hating Olicity fans) on Arrow. Barry and Iris are trying to forge a path together, sharing the weight of the world in a way that will hopefully prevent it from pushing either of them to the ground. There’s no doubt Oliver could learn a thing or two (or three) from that. By the time the post-credit scene rolls around, they seem to have finally gotten their signals aligned, and it’s encouraging to see the writers avoid the easy trope of pulling them apart for the sake of filling story. They’re “Barry and Iris,” right? Let’s watch them make it work, and stick with them through those struggles, because that relationship has always been the heart of this show going all the way back to the pilot (not to mention the decades of comic lore).

All relationships take work, even "perfect" ones. Hell, those probably more than most. This might be a superhero show, but it’s a love story at its heart.

Edited by tv echo

when were barry and felicity together?

I wish ppl would stop comparing Olicity and WestAllen. They're two different couples on TWO TOTALLY different shows. If you like WA and their story that's great but don't make a massive generalization and say that they're the best couple on DCTV. 

Edited by Cleanqueen
  • Love 14
43 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

Nah. I wouldn’t call any couple in this universe a gold standard. They’re all messed up in their own ways - in ways that never get addressed the way they should, but...I certainly wouldn’t want my ship proclaiming themselves that (unless it was sarcasm). Yikes. 

I personally like that Oliver/Felicity know that they aren't perfect or put themselves on a pedestal. They simply mind their own business and if there's an issue they fix it (usually takes time but they do).  They both work hard to maintain their relationship and I like how it takes more than 1 episode to fix their issues.

Edited by WindofChange
  • Love 24
16 minutes ago, WindofChange said:

I personally like that Oliver/Felicity know that they aren't perfect or put themselves on a pedestal. They simply mind their own business and if there's an issue they fix it (usually takes time but they do).  They both work hard to maintain their relationship and  I personally  like how it takes more than 1 episode to fix their issues.

And it's always others referring to them as "couple goals". And we know what happened the last time Olicity solved all their issues in one episode...they got engaged, almost married and broken up in less than 9 episodes. 

• Love 1

The unrounded numbers for CW shows for their premiere week

http://www.spottedratings.com/2017/10/spotted-ratings-tuesday-101717.html (in the comment section)

Here are the Week 3 FINALS for CW:

The Flash ...................... 1.052
Riverdale ....................... 0.802
Supernatural .................. 0.721
Arrow ............................. 0.601
Legends of Tomorrow ... 0.565
Supergirl ........................ 0.531

Dynasty ......................... 0.331
Valor .............................. 0.285
Jane the Virgin .............. 0.284
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend ........ 0.222

• Love 4
3 hours ago, tv echo said:

What a surprise - DCTV Couch Club's Flash reviewer considers WestAllen the gold standard couple of the DCTV Universe (I don't think this person has even watched Arrow, just based on this article) - also, O/F were officially a couple, living together quite happily for 9 months, which is more than "a handful of months"...

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2017/10/17/the-flash-the-gold-standard?sf122933227=1

Especially hilarious coming from someone who constantly rants about Iris West. 

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

Especially hilarious coming from someone who constantly rants about Iris West. 

I wasn't able to watch but someone posted a youtube video of the author being not nice to Iris.

This sounds like PR to gear up for the crossover.

I wonder if this golden standard nonsense is to try and sell the WA ship more since they are comic canon and they want to write them as married for the remaining run. 

If they are looking for a Delena/Chair/Olicity type of popularity which WA are clearly lacking, maybe they now need to really throw it at the audience a few episodes near the wedding. Hence "golden standard" to try and sell it to the lay person. They might have good ratings but CW loves a good ship and their comic canon ship is not really taking off.

3 hours ago, tv echo said:

Barry being with any number of women legit made me laugh. I have a feeling that the writer is confusing the early seasons of The Flash with early seasons of Arrow. Or maybe they mean any number to mean, what, one or two?

Wait I didn't even realize it was the same Ashley that does the reviews with Jawin. They were both hating on the episode last night and she went on several tirades about how useless Iris is and how she's selfish and shouldn't even be inside Star Labs. She was mad that they did the couples therapy and doesn't even think they belong together and is worried that they will force more episodes like these before the wedding happens.

Yeah this seems like massive PR push.

Speaking of Iris, people on Twitter were mentioning that she should have had the exclusive on the GA reveal. True. But it made me think about something else. Is she still a reporter post-FP? Has that been confirmed? I hope Barry didn't erase her career among other things.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

I wonder if this golden standard nonsense is to try and sell the WA ship more since they are comic canon and they want to write them as married for the remaining run. 

I think they want to get to Bart Allen and/or the Tornado Twins. That mystery phrase that Cisco cracked in the premiere, "this house is bitchin'" is apparently something said by Bart Allen in the comics.

So that's going to be happening at some point, probably next season.

6 minutes ago, bijoux said:

Speaking of Iris, people on Twitter were mentioning that she should have had the exclusive on the GA reveal. True. But it made me think about something else. Is she still a reporter post-FP? Has that been confirmed? I hope Barry didn't erase her career among other things.

I thought CP said in an interview that the show is dropping Iris's reporter storyline.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, Cleanqueen said:

Wait I didn't even realize it was the same Ashley that does the reviews with Jawin. They were both hating on the episode last night and she went on several tirades about how useless Iris is and how she's selfish and shouldn't even be inside Star Labs. She was mad that they did the couples therapy and doesn't even think they belong together and is worried that they will force more episodes like these before the wedding happens.

Yeah this seems like massive PR push.

When I heard her say Iris was selfish. I was like what? Has she not met Barry, he's the most selfish hero I've ever seen. Everything is about what he wants or what he thinks is right. In that episode he hired the caterer, ordered the wedding cake and booked the venue all without asking Iris what she wanted. Then didn't even understand why Iris would be mad about being left out of her wedding. 

I know the writers don't care since Iris is always left out of her own storylines. And now I'm seeing comic fans getting mad that Iris questioned Barry leaving her and not staying in her place of being his cheerleader. The misogyny is strong in comic books I guess. 

• Love 12

"It’s a fascinating study of how superhero-ing affects a relationship, especially when looked at in parallel to the wonky relationship between Oliver and Felicity (don’t come hating Olicity fans) on Arrow. Barry and Iris are trying to forge a path together, sharing the weight of the world in a way that will hopefully prevent it from pushing either of them to the ground. There’s no doubt Oliver could learn a thing or two (or three) from that."

It's especially amusing because Oliver and Felicity have been team mates in a great, successful way before being in a relationship and it only went better when they got together. So no, I don't think Oliver needs to learn how to be a good partner in "superhero-ing" because he and Felicity have been for years. She was the second person he trusted with his secret and he did that at the middle of the first season.

I'll never be okay with Oliver's lie but it was a plot device to break them up. They could have written it if Oliver was mayor by day and stripper by night instead of a superhero.

• Love 19
1 hour ago, bijoux said:

She was still a reporter for Season 3. It hasn't been mentioned in Season 4, so far.

---

People may be taking that "gold standard" line out of context. It was there to set up the follow-up dialog to say that they are not perfect, and need to work on their issues -- which was the theme of the episode.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Delphi said:

What the actual fuck.   Now I'm raging.   Pretty much all the functional relationships are on Arrow.  Functional.  Last time I checked Oliver did not come back in time to MURDER Felicity.   What the hell is wrong with these people!?

Diggle and Lyla apparently don't exist.

• Love 17