Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

I am 100% with you. To me, Grant Gustin has no sexual or romantic chemistry with anyone. And I don't mean that as a burn; I think he's fantastic as Barry and has lots of other great types of chemistry (friend, pseudo-son, and esp. friend/colleague/rival with Oliver). But zero of that particular type.

I don't know...him and Eddie have had some pretty hot scenes together.... heh.

• Love 1

I don't think Barry lying to Iris is a deal breaker...not like it's sister swapping or anything. That said he's clearly in the wrong (along with Joe) of most of his lies..and the show will reflect that when Iris finds out. 

It's not a deal breaker, it's just that Eddie is treating Iris way better than Barry is so why would one ship WestAllen other than comics! ?  Iris/Eddie and Barry/Caitlin are the healthier relationships

It's the same mistake they made with Arrow, assuming that viewers would ship the comics canon ship irrespectively of dishonesty (Flash) or dysfunction (Arrow) between the characters.

OMG! I fucking loved it.

I knew something was squirrely because of the way they were acting but I just about died when I saw Deadpool walk past Mario.

I love how much RR gets into this character, he really seems to love Deadpool

AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON - Official Final Trailer (2015) Marvel Superhero Movie HD

AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON Featurette - Re-Assembled (2015) Marvel Superhero Movie HD

• Love 2
It's not a deal breaker, it's just that Eddie is treating Iris way better than Barry is so why would one ship WestAllen other than comics! ?  Iris/Eddie and Barry/Caitlin are the healthier relationships

It's the same mistake they made with Arrow, assuming that viewers would ship the comics canon ship irrespectively of dishonesty (Flash) or dysfunction (Arrow) between the characters.

Judging by The Flash boards, there's also a race issue when it comes to WestAllen. I mean, I can probably sort-of understand connecting with a character simply by virtue of skin color simply because there really aren't that many black romantic leads on TV, but I  still don't think it's a valid enough reason to ship something (imho). Sleepy Hollow has a similar tendency (other than Abby is actually well-written and has fantastic chemistry with the guy, while Iris and Barry have OK friendship chemistry but not much romantic, and the writing for them as a couple sucks).

Bringing this over from the Agent Carter forum to get more votes (I voted to save Agent Carter and Person of Interest)...

Agent Carter deserves everything and more. But I'm kinda meh on this season of PoI, it's such a letdown after s3 (other than the mid-season 3-parter).

• Love 2

Over the summer, I was one of the ones hoping Luke Mitchell would be cast as "Daniel." He popped up on Agents of SHIELD tonight, and I'm glad he's on my TV again. The character was a bit bland, but he was hot so I was happy. 

• Love 2

It's starting to really bug me how outnumbered female characters are on these team-up movies and how nobody gives a damn about it. I mean, The Avengers, Justice League, Suicide Squad... One or two seems to be the max number, it's just infuriating and frankly boring.

• Love 6

Well honestly, we are kind of lucky they are doing these female superhero characters at all.  The biggest excuse behind not doing Wonder Woman for decades was that they didn't think a female action hero movie would sell.  So, what gets the green light to prove them right? Electra.  Now, I kind of liked the movie and I do love Jennifer Gardner, but I would have rather watched her play WW than Electra. 

At any rate, outside of X-men, there haven't been too many female superheroes that have made it to the big screen and some (if not most) of those were not well done.  In fact, the only one I really loved was Hally Berry's Storm and I know she wasn't even perfect for the role. 

Now Black Widow is great, they are adding Mocking Bird on Agents of Shield so they can put her in a movie in the future, we are about to get Scarlet Witch in the Avengers, we finally have Wonder Woman with the promise of a solo movie, and Marvel is responding with the female Captain Marvel.  They are even talking about a female action hero from Spiderman getting a solo movie.  Not to mention DC is giving televisions tons of female superheroes spread across their shows. 

I'm not saying you are wrong to want more - but girls today are growing up with so many more strong female heroes than I had on television/movies and I'm glad my daughter is getting to experience this.  I had Linda Carter's Wonder Woman and Charlie's Angels.  There have always been shows we could enjoy if we sought them out: Xena, Charmed, Buffy, Le Femme Nikita, Alias - but there just seems to be so much MORE nowadays.  Just look at the success of Hunger Games/Divergent books/movies and their female-centric heroes.  I think real progress has been made and studios will respond by making more as long as the dollar figures justify it.

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't know, while I do live in another country, I basically grew up watching American TV shows and I had no shortage of awesome role models - Buffy, Xena, Scully, Aeryn Sun, Nikita... And even with procedural stuff, I've always felt like gender balance was the norm rather than exception. While it was common for the lead to be male, the second lead was usually female and I rarely felt like the stuff I watched (and watch now) was filled to the brim with testosterone the way these movies are. I don't want to just "be thankful there are superheroines as well", because they - or women who were just as kick-ass - have been there on TV, at least, for at least 20 years. I just don't understand why movie industry doesn't want to acknowledge that.

PS Having read about Suicide Squad, apparently it's not as bad as I thought originally - there will be at least 3 female characters, two of which seem pretty big (Waller and Harley Quinn - never heard about Enchantress). Maybe they'll even pass Bechdel's test, who knows. But the point still stands, one female-centric movie out of all of MCU is just unforgivable, imho.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 2

The whole women led action movies don't sell argument is ridiculous and obviously false anyway. Say what you will about the movies but the Resident Evil franchise is popular and has done ridiculously well, and last time I checked Milla Jovovich is a woman. Both Marvel and DC have a plethora of female characters they could draw from to give to a woefully underappreciated half the audience. They're missing out on a ton of profit from both the movies and merchandise and for the life of me I can not understand why.

• Love 4

I think the old school Movie Executives still think that women don't buy comic stuff or watch action or comic movies. Which is false and has been false for awhile.

I don't buy action figures, but I do buy the Funko Pop figures, t-shirts, bags, etc... and love to watch action/comic movies over romance ones. I go to every con I can afford and buy comic book art. I filled my living room with Walking Dead, Arrow, Batman, X-men, Deadpool, and Game of Thrones posters from artists that I bought at cons. 

• Love 3

I don't know, while I do live in another country, I basically grew up watching American TV shows and I had no shortage of awesome role models - Buffy, Xena, Scully, Aeryn Sun, Nikita... And even with procedural stuff, I've always felt like gender balance was the norm rather than exception. While it was common for the lead to be male, the second lead was usually female and I rarely felt like the stuff I watched (and watch now) was filled to the brim with testosterone the way these movies are. I don't want to just "be thankful there are superheroines as well", because they - or women who were just as kick-ass - have been there on TV, at least, for at least 20 years. I just don't understand why movie industry doesn't want to acknowledge that.

PS Having read about Suicide Squad, apparently it's not as bad as I thought originally - there will be at least 3 female characters, two of which seem pretty big (Waller and Harley Quinn - never heard about Enchantress). Maybe they'll even pass Bechdel's test, who knows. But the point still stands, one female-centric movie out of all of MCU is just unforgivable, imho.

I am - ack! - pushing 40 so I think of Buffy, Le Femme Nikita, and Xena as shows I enjoyed in my 20s, but not as a teen.  And two of those shows were not made in the US if I recall correctly.  And while I know this goes back to the 1960s, all you have to do is look at the original unaired pilot of Star Trek to see how much things have changed in the US.....they originally had a woman as second in command wearing pants!  What we later got was a female com officer and a nurse in mini-skirts. It took them almost 40 years to have a female captain on a Star Trek spin-off (which again still happened after I was in my 20s lol!).

So I don't know - I'm just feeling like girls/teens today have more strong female heroes than ever before and I'm glad to see the change.  I think it's fine to demand more - and I think a Birds of Prey movie would be awesome!!!! - but try to appreciate what we have gained and be a little excited about it.

I think a big problem lies in the fact that women heros were on the DL when the current Executives & creatives were growing up. More will keep coming as time passes if we keep showing our want and excitment for them. Imo.

Though there is also the belief that boys want to see cool versions of themselves and young girls want the cute &/or sexy guy. I think this belief is a major hurdle that we still need to get past.

• Love 1

The whole women led action movies don't sell argument is ridiculous and obviously false anyway. Say what you will about the movies but the Resident Evil franchise is popular and has done ridiculously well, and last time I checked Milla Jovovich is a woman. Both Marvel and DC have a plethora of female characters they could draw from to give to a woefully underappreciated half the audience. They're missing out on a ton of profit from both the movies and merchandise and for the life of me I can not understand why.

Exactly. It reminds me of my trip to Comic Con last year. I went in with a goal to find an Arrow and/or Marvel-themed t-shirt and basically came away empty-handed. Why? Because the selection was paltry at best--the only womens T-shirts were centered around 3 super-popular male Marvel characters and Wonder Woman. That was it. TBH, I don't even think I have ever seen an Arrow (or Green Arrow) womens T-shirt even online and I'm not willing to settle for the mens shirt that isn't the least bit flattering to the female figure. I have funds to spend, but they sure don't seem to very willing to take them.

• Love 1

I'm guessing it's going to be something with the Inhumans to set up the movie. I need Gemma Arterton as Medusa so whatever Marvel has to do to make that happen, they need to get on it. 

I'd definitely like more Agent Carter, but I also like the idea of a variety of limited series focused on different parts of the Marvel Universe. 

Yeah, I hope this new spin-off isn't "replacing" an Agent Carter renewal.

Exactly. It reminds me of my trip to Comic Con last year. I went in with a goal to find an Arrow and/or Marvel-themed t-shirt and basically came away empty-handed.

That's really surprising and disappointing. I thought that ComicCon had more female attendees/participants in recent years; and I'd assume that vendors and their merchandise would reflect that.

(edited)

Retweeted by Rich Epstein (who writes Arrow episode reviews for Bleeding Cool)...

Rich E retweeted
Brian Truitt @briantruitt  ·  2h 2 hours ago
If Agent Carter is cancelled and they do a spinoff of SHIELD I'm gonna be super pissed.

https://twitter.com/kaspe_r11

I feel the same way.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

AV Club's review wasn't exactly inspiring, but it's Drew Goddard and Steven DeKnight, so I owe it to myself to at least see the pilot (plus, I really loved Deborah Ann Woll on True Blood - she was one of the few highlights of later seasons).

Petition to Renew Agent Carter
https://www.change.org/p/abc-renew-agent-carter?recruiter=274598436&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=share_twitter_responsive

Marc Guggenheim retweeted
Arlenis J @ARLENISJ  ·  10h 10 hours ago
ABC: Renew Agent Carter https://
I want @ChadMMurray back on my tv every week make it happen sing this!
http://www.change.org/p/abc-renew-agent-carter?recruiter=274598436&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=share_twitter_responsive… via @Change !

https://twitter.com/mguggenheim

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I know I mentioned the apparent similarity between Kara and Felicity before (both in personality and looks), but a side-by-side comparison of their dialogue is pretty interesting...

Dialogue from Arrow episode 1x03:
FELICITY: "I know who you are. You’re Mr. Queen."
OLIVER: "Noooo. Mr. Queen was my father."
FELICITY: "Right. But he’s dead. I mean, he drowned. And you didn’t. Which means you can come down to the IT department and listen to me babble. Which will end in 3… 2… 1…

Dialogue from Supergirl audition:
JAMES: "Excuse me."
KARA: "Derek, from editorial. Sorry, haven't done your research yet... Wow, no. Not Derek. His bones are way less dense... Not that I know that, because that would be like... Having a dual energy X-Ray observatory meter inside your eyes, which would be crazy..."
JAMES: "Yeah, it's... It's James."
(source)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5

Arrow is briefly mentioned in each article...

Can 'The Flash' Movie Outrun 'The Flash' TV Show?
Scott Mendelson Contributor 4/10/2015 @ 10:00AM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/04/10/how-the-flash-tv-show-hurts-the-flash-movie/

5 Reasons MARVEL's Daredevil Kicks Butt So Far
by Tucker Wallace ⋅ Posted on April 10th, 2015 at 6:51am
http://moviepilot.com/posts/2015/04/10/5-reasons-marvel-s-daredevil-kicks-butt-so-far-2847530?lt_source=external,manual

Edited by tv echo

I saw the first episode of Daredevil on Netflix, and I promised myself I wouldn't spend all weekend binge watching, but holy shit its going to be hard. First episode? Its awesome. I knew we were in good hands with Steven DeKnight! 

So far the only show I binge watched was the second season of Orange is the Black. 9am to midnight.

Most of the time I watch 3 to 4 eps. But I like knowing that I can watch more the next day instead of waiting week to week. I watched both seasons of The 100 in two weeks.

Daredevil's good so far.  It is a little too dark, though...I mean literally dark.  It's a bit hard to follow the fight scenes.  Also, I don't like the red-haired chick from True Blood, but the rest of the casting is good.

• Love 2

That musical was hilarious, and pretty much dead on. Instead of trying to be a "darker, grittier" version of Marvel, DC should just try to do its own thing.

And I agree with Deadpool, I still don't get the whole "Pa Kent and the tornado" thing. 

• Love 1

I just started Ep 7 of Daredevil. I'm loving it especially for the fight scenes. One of my main loves of Arrow was the stunt work and fight scenes, and I've been really disappointed this season. DD is great though even with the brutality. You can tell Matt Murdock's base of fighting is boxing but with a ton of other styles thrown on top. 

• Love 1

One of my favorite stunt scenes on Arrow is in S1 when Oliver's jumping between buildings, down fire escapes, vaulting fences and boxes, etc. trying to get to that DA the kidnapper has in the old subway.  It's in the middle of the day, Oliver has no costume on, so you can see that it's clearly Stephen Amell doing all the stunts.  It's frigging fantastic.  I can't remember anything that cool this season.  Even the fight scene with Ra's...you could clearly see Ra's stunt double (plus I found the whole thing ridiculously derivative of Batman, but that's just me).  So it's definitely nice to see cool fight/stunt scenes on my tv again.  

• Love 4

One of my favorite stunt scenes on Arrow is in S1 when Oliver's jumping between buildings, down fire escapes, vaulting fences and boxes, etc. trying to get to that DA the kidnapper has in the old subway. 

I think they did a behind the scenes on that stunt sequence, but I'm having trouble finding it. I loved Ra's fight scene for the choreography, but it was clear I was watching SA and the stunt double. They barely tried to hide that. I know the all black outfit and black mask helps, but I like that I can't tell when it's Charlie Cox and when it's his double on DD. 

• Love 1