Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

1 minute ago, ComicFan777 said:

Since the crossover is hinted to be more emotional and a potential wedding, an across-universe emotional comic book storyline that comes to mind is the Identity Crisis series - where someone stole the ATOM suit to kill Elongated Man's wife, causing the other superheroes to want to hold their significant others that much closer.  This made the superheroes realize that they always took for granted that their loved ones could always be saved, but this time, it didn't happen - one of their own was killed.  This could push a DC couple to think..let's not take things for granted...let's get married right away.

Ngl, I thought about that too, although I was wondering how they would address the not so nice parts (rape, pseudo-lobotomy, etc.). Then again, the Invasion crossover didn't really follow Invasion!, so I could see them at least following it as a more emotional storyline, plus a potential issue of conflict between/amongst the casts.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, ComicFan777 said:

Since the crossover is hinted to be more emotional and a potential wedding, an across-universe emotional comic book storyline that comes to mind is the Identity Crisis series - where someone stole the ATOM suit to kill Elongated Man's wife, causing the other superheroes to want to hold their significant others that much closer.  This made the superheroes realize that they always took for granted that their loved ones could always be saved, but this time, it didn't happen - one of their own was killed.  This could push a DC couple to think..let's not take things for granted...let's get married right away.

As soon as I heard they were bringing in Elongated Man that storyline came to my mind. 

I'm surprised they havent introduced the male Dr.Light into the Flarrowgirl-verse yet, though he may be a tad to dark for their liking.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

If the writers and the network wants dto stretch out Barry and Iris' issues to last an entire season they will. That's the beautiful thing about manufactured drama for tv writers Besides I think Iris supposedly having internalised anger at the way Barry treated her last season and his not consulting her before running off to the speed force or whatever doesn't sound that much different then Felicity being mad that Oliver didn't consult her about sending away William. And they got a whole season and half distance out of that

At least if they have Iris upset that Barry didn't consult her, I could understand why Barry would think he had no choice but to go.  People were dying around them even while they lingered to say their goodbyes. Oliver, on the other hand, has no legitimate excuses forcing his decision to lie. 

10 minutes ago, Trini said:

Thanks for the info! This seems plausible. The Flash is supposedly casting for Elongated Man.

I much prefer them bringing in a character just to kill off than have to worry about any existing character dying.  

• Love 3
1 minute ago, BkWurm1 said:

At least if they have Iris upset that Barry didn't consult her, I could understand why Barry would think he had no choice but to go.  People were dying around them even while they lingered to say their goodbyes. Oliver, on the other hand, has no legitimate excuses forcing his decision to lie. 

I much prefer them bringing in a character just to kill off than have to worry about any existing character dying.  

I wasn't excusing Oliver. Just commenting on the whole "you didn't consult me before doing X/Y" sounds similar to the reasons the Arrow writers didn't have Oliver and Felicity resolve their relationship issues properly and fully until 5x19/5x20, 27 episodes after they broke up.They could have dealt with it sooner then that but the writers didn't because sweeps yada yada. But if the writers of The Flash for instance decide they don't want Barry and Iris to get married this season or not till the end of the season there's nothing stopping them from stretching out something that could be resolved in one or two episodes into 10 or 20+ episodes.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

I wasn't excusing Oliver. Just commenting on the whole "you didn't consult me before doing X/Y" sounds similar to the reasons the Arrow writers didn't have Oliver and Felicity resolve their relationship issues properly and fully until 5x19/5x20, 27 episodes after they broke up.They could have dealt with it sooner then that but the writers didn't because sweeps yada yada. But if the writers of The Flash for instance decide they don't want Barry and Iris to get married this season or not till the end of the season there's nothing stopping them from stretching out something that could be resolved in one or two episodes into 10 or 20+ episodes.

Never meant to imply you were excusing Oliver.  I pretty much will always take every opportunity to complain about what Oliver did.  Always.  

• Love 5
7 hours ago, johntfs said:

Sure, but even LoT is minority female with only two of seven member being women.  I suppose the ratio gets a bit better next season with three of eight being women.  I don't want an increased quantity of women without a commensurate increase in the quality of their storylines and writing.  Even Kara on Supergirl felt like she was becoming "the girlfriend" on her own show.  The only female characters that seem to maintain high quality writing are Sara from LoT and Felicity from Arrow, and the latter probably only gets it because she's really popular and Stephen Amell likely swings by the writers' room ever so often to issue death threats.

I'd say Felicity gets better writing because they like writing the character.  She's funny and and fun to write with her babbles.  MG once said they writer her the dialogue they wish they could say.  (On the other hand, they also said that about Rene and he's just awful IMO).

I'd say the same about Sara, she's better written because she's fun to write.  Both Arrow and LoT are helmed by MG.

And then we get to the shows helmed by AK -- Flash and Supergirl.  Notice a difference?

As for whether it should be quality then quantity, I'd say a tipping point analogy would apply better.  The Flash gets away writing female characters so badly because there are only two on the show -- the stereotypical love interest/damsel in distress and the science helper/badly written possible meta villain.  If there were six women on the show, they would have to produce some well written storylines for a couple of them at least if only to differentiate the six characters from one another.

2 hours ago, Trini said:

But with Jesse L. Martin saying that Joe and Cecile get more serious, I wonder if they'll get married so Iris (and Barry?) can have a mother figure at the wedding?

Wouldn't Iris be more likely to resent her dad's relatively new partner acting like a mother figure at her wedding?  I'd be all "Outta my scene, woman.  This is my wedding."

2 hours ago, ComicFan777 said:

Good supposition.  WM said that it was a story comic book fans would instantly recognize.

• Love 6
(edited)

From SDCC on July 21 - panelists included Blake Neely (composer, Arrow, Flash, LoT, Supergirl, Riverdale), as well as Jeff Russo (composer, Legion, Fargo), Sean Callery (composer, Jessica Jones, Homeland, 24), Mac Quayle (composer, Mr. Robot, American Horror Story, Feud), Kris Bowers (composer, Dear White People), Siddhartha Khosla (composer, This Is Us, The Runaways), and Joseph LoDuca (composer, The Evil Dead series, Spartacus: Blood and Sand), with celebrity moderators Rachel Keller (Legion, Fargo) and Jeremie Harris (Legion, The Get Down) - I only transcribed what Blake Neely said during this panel...

SDCC 2017 : Behind the music Fantasy,Fiction and Fandom panel
Published on Jul 27, 2017, by Mulder Mulderville

-- Blake Neely (after joking that he's on vacation right now, drinking cocktails and eating guacamole): "But I love going to Comic-Con. These shows are really, uh - have become a huge part of my life... Until I did these type of shows, superheroes and comic books, there wasn't a following of music and now it's become - you know, you guys know what we do and it's great."

-- On how he deals with each superhero show's different musical "palette" within the crossover episodes, BN: "I hope you guys like watching the crossovers because they're my favorite ones to score. Um, when it started, I kinda had to learn how to do it. It's not as hard as it sounds. It's basically a mash-up of tunes. You pick someone's sound palette like Flash and you play Supergirl's theme, and then suddenly you have a crossover. (Everyone laughs) Um, they think you're a genius and then they say, 'let's do it again next year, but with all four shows.' And those are fun and, uh - But when we started the shows, Greg Berlanti said that there would be crossovers when - well, when Flash started. So it was designing the - you know, I didn't - thankfully, one's not a country score and one's not a jazz score. That would be a weird mash-up. But I got to design the sound worlds to be where we got to cross them over. So there was thought into that... Now if they cross Riverdale over into the superhero shows, that'll be a lot of fun."

-- On the biggest lesson he learned early in his career, BN: "I learned, and try to remember, trust your instincts... Because it can be pretty intimidating and muck you up as a writer to be given these characters who have decades, decades of fans, so, um, just trust your instincts. And somehow that Superman new theme comes up."

-- An Arrow fan in the audience asked how he came up with the Olicity theme that, she believed, first aired in 320, BN: "Ah, the Olicity theme. And why twitter can be your not best friend. (Laughter) ... Olicity, for those of you who haven't watched Arrow - there's Oliver Queen, who's the Green Arrow, and Felicity. And they were a big love item - and might be again, I don't know... How I come up with it - I'm not sure how I came up with it. Um, but I know it's a very specific theme. And, uh, I woke up one day and I checked twitter - like you should not - and it, uh - and someone said, 'omigod' - and my twitter had blown up. There were like a hundred messages saying, 'you betrayed us, you used the Olicity theme on Oliver and his new girlfriend.' And I'm like, 'oh my god, did I?" (Laughter) So I raced to the studio. I'm like - man, I mean, I do drink when I write, but - (Laughter)... Um, like, no way, I'm very careful with themes. And so I checked and I hadn't, so I told them, you know, piano and strings doesn't equal a theme, it's actually - and then I get this, 'oh, we're sorry, we're sorry, we're sorry.' Um, so it is a very special theme to me, and it's also an 'ohmygod' theme because when I hear Olicity, I think of that morning... But I don't remember how I came up with it."

-- A fan asked something about how they come up with music that's "iconic." BN: "You pick your moments for the big theme to stand out. And you hope you have some of those. But it's funny what can become iconic. I mean, I hear lots of people go, oh, I love that 'whroo' sound in the Arrow. Yeah, but what about the theme? (Laughter) So, anyway."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
(edited)

This Arrow cast interview was previously posted in another thread, but I included it anyway so that this list of EW's superhero cast interviews would be complete...

'Arrow': Next 'Epic' Crossover Will Be Rooted In The DCU | SDCC 2017 | Entertainment Weekly
Published on Jul 25, 2017, by Entertainment Weekly

The Flash: Grant Gustin & Cast On 'Least Fun' Season 3 & Season 4 | SDCC 2017 | Entertainment Weekly

DC's Legends Of Tomorrow Reveal New Character, Season 3 Details | SDCC 2017 | Entertainment Weekly

'Supergirl' Cast Teases Calista Flockhart's Return | SDCC 2017 | Entertainment Weekly

'Black Lightning' Cast Compare The CW Series To Other Superheroes | SDCC 2017 | Entertainment Weekly

Also...
SDCC 2017: Supergirl Cast Singing "Sweet Caroline" During a Photoshoot
Published on Jul 25, 2017, by Entertainment Weekly, by AbbyZorel

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

And here's the TVLine group of cast interviews from SDCC (again, the Arrow one was previously posted in another thread, but I included it for completeness) - Flash EP teased that a WestAllen wedding, if it happened, would be "different from Caitlin's marriage"...

Arrow Interview | Michael Emerson Reaction + Double Wedding? | Comic-Con 2017 | TVLine
Published on Jul 22, 2017, by TVLine

The Flash Interview | Comic-Con 2017 | TVLine
Published on Jul 22, 2017, by TVLine

Legends of Tomorrow Cast Interview + Season 3 Spoilers | Comic-Con 2017 | TVLine
Published on Jul 25, 2017, by TVLine

Supergirl Cast Interview + Singing! | Comic-Con 2017 | TVLine
Published on Jul 23, 2017, by TVLine

Black Lightning Interview | Comic-Con 2017 | TVLine
Published on Jul 26, 2017, by TVLine

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

Kevin Smith's cast interviews from aboard the IMDb yacht at SDCC 2017 (posted on youtube by IMDb)...

'Arrow' Cast Reveal Memorable Fan Encounters | IMDb EXCLUSIVE

"Arrow" Cast Share Stories From the Set | IMDb EXCLUSIVE

-- SA told Kevin Smith that he has "an open invitation to come and direct an episode."

Another Musical Episode in the Works for 'The Flash'| IMDb EXCLUSIVE

'The Flash' Cast Reveal Their Geekiest Collections | IMDb EXCLUSIVE

-- GG: "I'm a big fan of Stephen [Amell]. He's got muscles."

Edited by tv echo

That was interesting about how they only have about 5 hours of darkness to shoot with right now in Vancouver.  I guess that explains why we get more stunts in the daylight at the beginning of a season.  

• Love 6

So I have been having a rolling good time reading about Superman's Mustache.

Is it going to look weird if they need to CGI it off? Like will they need to stick in different footage of his face? How will he do emotional scenes if his face is fake?

https://twitter.com/karameltrash/status/891087492019089409

Here's a clip of MB talking the Crossover at SDCC. She sort of knows the premise and two big events are happening that are going to make the fans very happy (If it's a double wedding I swear ?)...Is it just me or does that contradict what MG said about just now pitching the crossover? Unless they told the cast before they actually got the do ahead. But that doesn't seem right.

I did laugh at her talking like SG has always been apart of the Crossovers. 

• Love 1

"Every time we do it" You've done a total of 1! Calm down! Two if I give you the musical Ep. 

I swear SDCC did not endear me on the Supergirl cast like at all. I also wasn't a big fan about them all laughing and giggling at Chris Woods suggest that Mon El kill Green Arrow as a cool crossover event. 

• Love 10

Oh, boy. I'm leaning more and more towards double wedding now. Sigh. Well, I just hope it's not an ACTUAL "double wedding," and that both couples can at least get married in their own episodes.

On 7/27/2017 at 7:35 PM, BkWurm1 said:

I think they've said that TC is bringing back Harry, the season two Harrison Wells.  

I wish they would make Violet Beane a series regular on Flash to up the female regulars 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Chaser said:

https://twitter.com/karameltrash/status/891087492019089409

Here's a clip of MB talking the Crossover at SDCC. She sort of knows the premise and two big events are happening that are going to make the fans very happy (If it's a double wedding I swear ?)...Is it just me or does that contradict what MG said about just now pitching the crossover? Unless they told the cast before they actually got the do ahead. But that doesn't seem right.

I did laugh at her talking like SG has always been apart of the Crossovers. 

She is probably counting the musical ep as well since that still involved pulling double work for her. But the EPs have been doing crossovers for 3 years now, they probably know what they can and can not do for the most part so I'm not surprised AK would tell her "we have this really cool idea" and doesn't contradict MG.

And  I am loving the new Flash suit, a big step up from the original. Maybe minus the cowl.

• Love 3
(edited)

The only crossover I really enjoyed was the first one. I'm praying they don't do a double wedding. Can't think of anything worse. Okay, that's a lie because an alien delusion Lauriver wedding was worse. But a double wedding is up there. Haha. Both couples should get their own special day, IMO.

Edited by Guest

Considering Wendy Mericele seemed to laugh off the idea of a crossover wedding I don't think Arrow's wedding will be then, and I'm still really not convinced that The Flash writers are really going to marry off Barry and Iris in the fourth season of a likely 10 season show. Especially when they are teasing Iris having internalised anger at Barry. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Another person's list (incidentally, Forbes has a disclaimer that the opinions expressed by Forbes contributors are their own)...

The Top 50 Best And Worst Superhero TV Shows Of All Time
July 28, 2017 Mark Hughes, Contributor 
https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2017/07/28/the-top-50-best-and-worst-superhero-tv-shows-of-all-time/#4502131d6e31

6. Supergirl -- Some readers will be shocked to see this show ranked higher than its fellow CW shows, but season 2 built strongly upon the firm foundations of season 1 and delivered a fantastic second season that has set a new standard of excellence for DC shows. With a charismatic lead embodying everything we want in the hero, and a supporting cast that continues to grow & impress, its the spiritual successor to Richard Donner's Superman and is a thrilling comic book come vividly to life.

7. The Flash -- The joyously fun and engrossing first season, the chemistry of the cast, and the commitment to bringing aboard lesser-known characters and a wide array of villains saves this series' spot in the top ten despite frustrating second and third seasons. Despite its flaws, the show is still a largely faithful and puts its comic book sensibilities front and center, and the cast are always wonderful.

8. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. -- While it's had its ups and downs, this show ultimately delivers the goods every season and keeps getting better. Reminding me of a cross between Mission: Impossible, 24, and X-Files, this has been a series that worked hard to improve and to earn its place within the MCU. It's different from any other superhero show out there, and has room to keep growing and reflect the changes coming to the MCU in the next few years. Great cast, great twists, and great writing all around.

9. Arrow -- An excellent first season and mostly good second season, this show lost its way for a couple of seasons and admittedly has an identity crisis in which it often feels more like an adaptation of Batman than Green Arrow, but it got back on track lately and is again delivering solid dramatic adaptations of action-driven superhero stories. This show also deserves a lot of credit for launching a larger DCU on TV and helping DC regain its footing in weekly serial series.

Hughes' Top 10 Best Superhero Shows
1. Jessica Jones
2. Daredevil
3. Luke Cage
4. Sense8
5. Legion
6. Supergirl
7. The Flash
8. Agents of SHIELD
9. Arrow
10. Smallville
14. Agent Carter
15. Constantine
16. Legends of Tomorrow
23. Gotham
24. Iron Fist

Edited by tv echo

I'm ok with a double wedding for WestAllen and Olicity, but extremely doubtful that it will happen, especially during the major crossover event in the fall. Primarily because a double wedding would mean one of three things:

1. Oliver and Felicity would get married over on Flash, upsetting Arrow fans,  OR

2. Barry and Iris would get married over on Arrow, upsetting Flash fans.

3. The double wedding is aired twice, once on Flash or Arrow, and then again on Flash or Arrow, annoying viewers who watch both shows.

Sure, there's precedent for having some major Arrow character moments happening over on Flash (see, Oliver meeting his son for the first time, Laurel getting her Canary Cry device (something that really should have happened on Arrow, not Flash).  But that doesn't necessarily mean that Arrow will follow that precedent and have the Olicity wedding over on Flash.  And the accident that turned Barry into the Flash was aired twice - once in Arrow's first season and again in the Flash pilot. But again, I don't think that indicates that Flash will have Barry and Iris get married in Star City. TV shows tend to put wedding episodes in sweeps months for a reason - wedding episodes tend to bring in viewers. The past three seasons suggest that the crossover episodes will be the best rated/most viewed episodes of the season as it is, without needing the added draw of either wedding.

• Love 14

A quote from Candice in this story was interesting — " ... When we pick up season 4, Iris takes the mantle of Team Flash; she’s the leader, the boss, the overwatch for Team Flash while Barry is gone, which is a cool new role for her to play.”

Not having watched The Flash for a couple of seasons now, is Iris qualified to be leader of Team Flash? She also uses the word overwatch, which wasn't a word I was used to seeing until Arrow and Felicity, so I kinda associate that with her. 

• Love 1

Being a leader on The Flash doesn't take much, it just really entails "we are doing this". And I think she is referencing Felicity with the Overwatch. But all she is going to be doing is manning the computers and telling them where they need to go, not the hardest thing to do.

I doubt it will be anything that involves intense knowledge of how to work a computer. Cisco already has it set up to detect meta human activity so she has to do is watch it and give them directions, be a glorified GPS. Probably pull up their criminal record.

• Love 1

Yeah i dont know they had her hacking in s1. Its not something she ever did before. I find it hilarious that a character that has never performed this type of task on the team, suddenly is leading the charge. 

• Love 1

Love how Felicity's work as Overwatch is easily dismissed as just manning the computers and telling people where to go. Apparently, it doesn't involve any strategic thinking, or technical skills to get past secure servers, locks, etc., ability to see the big picture, etc. 

• Love 8

I could see a double wedding in the sense that Barry and Iris have a planned wedding on the Flash that might or might not get interrupted because of whatever threat they are facing during the crossover and Oliver and Felicity elope or have a small ceremony on Arrow after they save the world..something like that..

The couples sharing a wedding seems so cheesy and I really hope they aren't going with that.

2 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Love how Felicity's work as Overwatch is easily dismissed as just manning the computers and telling people where to go. Apparently, it doesn't involve any strategic thinking, or technical skills to get past secure servers, locks, etc., ability to see the big picture, etc. 

Yup. And I don't think CP meant it that way. She used the three adjectives as synonyms imo.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

giphy.gif
This isn't about Felicity. I obviously don't think Iris will be doing anything fancy, I know that Felicity does a lot more then just telling the team "go to south first street"

• Love 6
(edited)

I imagine a good team leader would need to be a skilled strategist/tactician to direct an entire team on a mission - a lot of foresight and experience making decisions under high stress situations - otherwise, it could get the team killed.

Edited by ComicFan777
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

I could see a double wedding in the sense that Barry and Iris have a planned wedding on the Flash that might or might not get interrupted because of whatever threat they are facing during the crossover and Oliver and Felicity elope or have a small ceremony on Arrow after they save the world..something like that..

The couples sharing a wedding seems so cheesy and I really hope they aren't going with that.

Yup. And I don't think CP meant it that way. She used the three adjectives as synonyms imo.

I don't think so either. My response was a reaction to a post, not CP's words. CP was describing what her new role was and that was the quickest way to explain it (I mean, let's face it, Felicity probably more than Diggle takes lead when Oliver is not available). I guess in Iris' case she could have picked up the skills in six months, a leader doesn't have to know how to do everything (though it always helps to have an understanding of what skills your people have and your resources). She can easily task Cisco to do the heavy-lifting computer wise. And she's a smart girl so she can learn how to man missions. Just wondered if they had shown at least some of this during the past season.

7 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

giphy.gif
This isn't about Felicity. I obviously don't think Iris will be doing anything fancy, I know that Felicity does a lot more then just telling the team "go to south first street"

But how will Iris be able to do all of that quick enough to help the team, when she has never done that before. 

• Love 1

I had a different interpretation and took it as her rallying them to save the city while Barry is gone. Her pulling them together to organise themselves to work out how to defeat the baddie rather than actually making strategic calls like Oliver and Felicity do. 

• Love 5

Google Maps? If Cisco already has a system set up to detect Metas, she just has to tell them what the computer is showing her. But it's also been 6 months so it probably isn't something she automatic jumped into and had Cisco show her the basics.

• Love 2

I hate to compare Iris to Laurel, but I'm reminded of every hiatus they are like "Now so so are stepping up, really apart of the Team, whole new yada yada yada."

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Chaser said:

I hate to compare Iris to Laurel, but I'm reminded of every hiatus they are like "Now so so are stepping up, really apart of the Team, whole new yada yada yada."

I'm not holding my breath that Iris will be doing much after the first episode. She'll be back to he background role of pep talk giver. Especially since they said Barry's going to be "changed". Which most likely means more mopey and more in need of people telling him how awesome he is. 

• Love 2

The complete inability of these writers to think five minutes into the future continues to astound.  They could have begun to set Iris's new role up at the end of last season but instead they will apparently give viewer's instant team leader Iris.  

The real question is will we get a toss away line about the leadership course/computer skills class her Dad had her take a la Laurel and her infamous self-defense class? 

• Love 4
Just now, Sakura12 said:

I'm not holding my breath that Iris will be doing much after the first episode. She'll be back to he background role of pep talk giver. Especially since they said Barry's going to be "changed". Which most likely means more mopey and more in need of people telling him how awesome he is. 

Same. I remember at S3 SDCC SA was talking about Laurel being in on the Team and having that "You catch'em, I cook'em" dynamic and that amounted to a line in the premiere. And yes I know they couldn't spoil Sara's death, but still. I'm seeing this Team Leader thing only lasting as long as Barry is in the speedforce. I wonder if they are going to pull an Arrow 4x01 and have them get Barry back only to argue about who's leading the Team. Which would be Barry after Iris throws him a peptalk.