Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

Latest update on Wonder Woman numbers:

8th UPDATE, Monday 8:03 AM: We already told you that Warner Bros’ Wonder Woman was beating the second weekends of Batman V. Superman: Dawn Of Justice ($51.3M) and Suicide Squad ($43.5M), two movies which opened higher than the Patty Jenkins-directed movie. Wonder Woman is coming in higher for the weekend with $58.2 million, notable in that it reps a 43% dip from the pic’s opening weekend. That’s a rare hold for any superhero tentpole movie, which typically ease between 50%-60% in their second weekends.

Out of all the titles in the WB/DC, Disney/Marvel, Sony/Marvel and Fox/Marvel universe, Wonder Woman is one of six movies with a second weekend that isn’t steeper than -50% — in fact she’s arguably the second best hold. That list includes Spider-Man (-38%), Wonder Woman (-43%), The Amazing Spider-Man (-44%), Thor (-47%), Iron Man (-48%) and Spider-Man 2 (-49%).

http://deadline.com/2017/06/wonder-woman-whipping-tom-cruise-mummy-weekend-box-office-1202111169/

• Love 7
(edited)

Agents of SHIELD, Defenders Stage Mini-Crossover (Sort Of)
June 12, 2017  by Meagan Damore
http://www.cbr.com/agents-of-shield-defenders-crossover-photo/

Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. just met the Defenders — sort of. A new photoshoot from photographer Kremer Johnson finds the main characters of both series teaming up in an homage to “Lunch Atop a Skyscraper,” the famous photo of steel workers taking a break during the construction of Manhattan’s Rockefeller Plaza in 1932. Johnson captured this photo and a handful of character portraits in an Emmy-focused photoshoot for Marvel Entertainment.
While a crossover may not be in the cards just yet, at least one cast member would love to see that happen: Clark Gregg. “Normally I’m very comfortable letting the Netflix shows and everybody exist in the universe of their own shows, but — if there was any reason even just to have Coulson walk by on the streets — the inner 11-year-old in me would probably just faint on the spot,” Gregg told CBR in an interview. So far as the photoshoot goes, though, it very well could have upheld a promise Loeb made to Gregg last year: “Before I get done, I have to make sure that Clark Gregg and Iron Fist get together. I’m not saying Agent Coulson — Clark Gregg has actually made me promise that he gets to meet Iron Fist.”

Agents-of-SHIELD-Defenders-Crossover-Pho

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

TVLine's Ask Ausiello Live on June 12...

-- Matt Mitovich: "We're still waiting on the big Arrow casting news for the season. We got Legends of Tomorrow - they added, uh, the Muslim-American hacker girl. Uh, Supergirl - we've got Odette Annable as the super villain Reign. Uh, Flash - we know that the villain's gonna be the Thinker. But Arrow - we don't really know what's going on. All we know is that, like, pretty much every character got blown up in the finale."  Michael Ausiello: "They're taking their sweet old time."

-- Matt and Michael will be at SDCC this year.

(edited)

Warning: watching the video of the 1967 WW pilot (below) will make you want to throw something at your screen...

WONDER WOMAN: A Brief History in Live Action Television
By Jailain Hollon Posted: June 12, 2017
https://comicsverse.com/wonder-woman-a-brief-history-in-live-action-television/

... Even before the original WONDER WOMAN series, there was another pilot in 1967 titled WHO’S AFRAID OF DIANA PRINCE. The five-minute pilot created for the show was god awful and an insult to fans. Diana Prince’s origins are not referenced, and the show was depicted as a light-hearted comedy.
The comedy aspect of the pilot was not the awful part; it is the pilot heavily relying on comedy laced in sexism. Diana Prince is reduced to a woman in her late 20s living with her mother worrying about finding a husband. She talks about saving the world, but even that was cliche and trivial. Still, Diana saving the world was not the main focus of the pilot. The jokes in the five-minute pilot were all dedicated to her mother, a 1950s mom, insisting she would settle down and get married. The jokes did not land, and the concept reeked of mild sexism. Long story short, thank the television Gods it only made it onto YouTube.

Although Diana Prince still does not have a television show yet, it is not for lack of trying. The CW was developing a Wonder Woman series that would join the Arrowverse between 2013 and 2014. The series development would have been great for Wonder Woman considering how good THE FLASH and ARROW turned out. AMAZON, the name of the project, never worked out, though. Development of the show kept falling apart because of conflicts with the screenplays and producer’s desire to do it right. Although the pilot episode did not get its due, do not count out a Diana Prince appearance in the Arrowverse just yet.
The synopsis of WONDER WOMAN’s (2011) pilot [on NBC] was not nearly as bad as MARVEL’S IRON FIST. The pilot does not start off with Diana Prince’s origin story directly, but it explains it in moments of reflection and flashback. The use of flashback was not bad, but it is a lot to take in for the pilot. The show throws you in the middle of her life as a hero and not the beginning like ARROW. The pilot was decent and it was a striking resemblance to SUPERGIRL on The CW.

One of the negative take-away’s from the pilot was the absurd level of self-awareness Diana Prince has of Wonder Woman’s image. She treats Wonder Woman’s image as a brand. Diana asks questions like if Wonder Woman is a good role model or if her actions figures are being sexually advertised. That level of self-awareness is uncharacteristically unlike Diana Prince, and it was awful.
Any success Wonder Woman has in live action should be accredited to the 1975 WONDER WOMAN series starring Lynda Carter. This was the first and only series to date that featured a live-action version of the character. WONDER WOMAN originally aired on ABC and CBS from 1975 to 1979 with three seasons, 59 episodes, and a TV movie. The TV movie, also titled WONDER WOMAN, originally appeared on ABC in 1974 and it received high ratings. Wonder Woman’s TV movie plot is similar to the 2017 film directed by Patty Jenkins. That movie leads to the spin-off show, and it served as the pilot, origin story, and plot for the series.
The second and third seasons of the series were vastly different from the first. Since season 1 is a period piece set in the 1940s, the production cost became costly for ABC. So naturally, ABC didn’t offer to pick up the show despite its high ratings and CBS did instead. CBS renamed the show THE NEW ADVENTURES OF WONDER WOMAN for the second and third season. The format of changed significantly launching Wonder Woman 35 years into the future and turning it into a cop show. Naturally, the final season fell in the ratings, and the show became oriented towards a younger audience to save it.
According to Screenrant, Moviepilot, and IGN, Wonder Woman’s arch nemesis Cheetah may appear in THE FLASH next season. So some fans have interpreted this as if Cheetah exists in Arrowverse, then Wonder Woman is definitely a possibility. Either way, if it’s a sequel in the DCEU or a show on Arrowverse, Wonder Woman is destined for a bright future in film and television.

Wonder Woman: Who's Afraid Of Diana Prince (1967) UNAIRED PILOT
Published on Mar 24, 2017, by The Museum of Vintage Clips

Produced by William Dozier of "Batman" and "The Green Hornet"
Starring; Ellie Wood Walker, William Dozier, Linda Harrison

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

The synopsis of WONDER WOMAN’s (2011) pilot [on NBC] was not nearly as bad as MARVEL’S IRON FIST. The pilot does not start off with Diana Prince’s origin story directly, but it explains it in moments of reflection and flashback. The use of flashback was not bad, but it is a lot to take in for the pilot. The show throws you in the middle of her life as a hero and not the beginning likeARROW. The pilot was decent and it was a striking resemblance to SUPERGIRL on The CW.

One of the negative take-away’s from the pilot was the absurd level of self-awareness Diana Prince has of Wonder Woman’s image. She treats Wonder Woman’s image as a brand. Diana asks questions like if Wonder Woman is a good role model or if her actions figures are being sexually advertised. That level of self-awareness is uncharacteristically unlike Diana Prince, and it was awful.

I think I still have this one on my computer hard drive. It was awful. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

Wonder Woman 2011 Intro [with Adrianne Palicki]
Uploaded on Aug 22, 2011, by toyo925

My take away is that they have Carey Elwes, and I find that adorable considering Robin Wright's role in the movie.

• Love 2

Everything I heard about the 2011 WW Pilot was awful.  If I remember right, Wonder Woman was the corporate face the public interacted with (Literally since she was a business mogul) and then occasionally to take a break and hide out from the public, she'd put on glasses and eat ice cream in some small apartment.

I watched that pilot from the 60's as well.  The mom not wanting her to go fight crime cause what man wants that was bad as expected but the worst thing for me was when they mocked her looks, saying that she thought she possessed the beauty of Aphrodite but then implied she was CLEARLY delusional and then showed her staring rapturously into the mirror, blowing kisses and not wanting to look away.  It was really degrading.  It was supposed to be campy like Batman,  but it just came out weird since this version implied she was just some random girl who had powers given that her mother was no Amazon Queen.   

• Love 4

I feel bad for Adrianne since she would've made a great TV WW. But having Diana cry over Steve was ugh.....and her being flat out violent wasn't great, and that costume....party city has better quality costumes. 

• Love 1
(edited)
EW can exclusively reveal that Billy Zane has been tapped to play P.T. Barnum on the CW super series. The Titanic star will appear in one episode.
Edited by Velocity23
  • Love 4
(edited)

Kiersey Clemons Teases Iris West's Cameo In Justice League
by Megan Peters | June 13, 2017
http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/06/13/justice-league-iris-west-cameo

The Flash may be slowing down over at DC Entertainment, but that doesn’t mean its cast is taking a break. Ezra Miller is set to flaunt his take on Barry Allen to the world in Justice League come November. The blockbuster will see several of the hero’s loved ones make an appearance as Henry Allen and Iris West are set to make brief cameos. Now, the actress behind Barry’s love interest is opening up about her bit in Justice League, and Kiersey Clemons isn’t holding back her excitement.

Recently, the actress sat down with Modeliste Magazine and discussed her upcoming schedule for 2017. It was there Clemons referenced her DC work as she confirmed her Justice League cameo.

“This November, I’m making a cameo in Justice League as Iris West and it’s the first time that you meet her before we get to see her in The Flash with Ezra Miller,” Clemons explained. “It was my first time doing something so extravagant like that. We filmed in London and that’s one of my favorite places.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:
EW can exclusively reveal that Billy Zane has been tapped to play P.T. Barnum on the CW super series. The Titanic star will appear in one episode.

So the show's going to be canceled after S3? LOL ?

41 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

What? Is he considered a show killer?

For a time, Zane and Adrian Pasdar were considered show killers. Pasdar turned around after Heroes, not sure about Zane.

Mostly, it was a bad joke ?

• Love 2
(edited)

Wanna Know More About The CW’s Black Lightning? The Creators Gave ATX the Scoop.
by Teresa Jusino | 6:11 pm, June 14th, 2017 
https://www.themarysue.com/wanna-know-more-about-the-cws-black-lightning-the-creators-gave-atx-the-scoop/

Black Lightning doesn’t come to The CW until next year, but creators Salim Akil and Mara Brock Akil gave fans at the ATX Television Festival in Austin a little taste of what they can expect from the show.

While there will definitely be a villain or two on the show (namely Tobias Whale, who was introduced in the very first Black Lightning comic), Akil emphasizes that Black Lightning is “a character-based family drama” and won’t have a villain-of-the-week feel to it.

He said to his Sunday panel, “It’s a character driven show. I don’t know if there’s going to be a fight every week. There’s certainly not going to be a villain of the week. I don’t want to do that. We really want to explore the characters, even the villains. I think one of the most interesting characters right now from a storytelling standpoint is Tobias. Because we’re not having him sort of twist his mustache. His hatred for himself and for others comes from a real place, so we want to know why he’s like that.”

Brock Akil explained that one of the reasons they wanted to write Black Lightning in the first place was to combat the negative images of black fatherhood that are consistently shown in the media. “That image of a father saving his daughters, protecting his family, protecting his school, protecting his community,” is how Akil explains the basis of the show. “It is happening, but it’s not the narrative [on most shows and movies].”

LGBTQIA representation is also something important to the Akils, and they confirmed that Anissa, who will become the superhero Thunder, will be a lesbian just like she is in the comics, and that there will be other queer representation on the show, too. Most importantly, they want to portray the LGBTQIA community like real people, not just as a “cause of the week.”
While the show won’t be an official part of The CW’s “Arrowverse” (despite being produced by Greg Berlanti), that doesn’t mean the Akils are ruling anything out. “The storytelling [on Black Lightning] is a little bit more political. It’s topical, and it’s a little grittier. … It doesn’t mean that down the road there won’t be visits,” Akil teased.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

For a time, Zane and Adrian Pasdar were considered show killers. Pasdar turned around after Heroes, not sure about Zane.

Mostly, it was a bad joke ?

Heh.

I actually didn't know that about Billy Zane. I've only seen the guy in a handful of roles. I typically associate Jason O'Mara as a show killer, since he can't seem to land a role lasting past a season because either the show gets killed off or his character gets killed off.

Either way, it'll be a fun Titanic reunion between Zane and Victor Garber. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I actually never heard of him before this, being one of the handful of people who never saw Titanic. I didn't realize Victor Garber was in Titanic, to be honest.  I mainly know him from Alias.

ETA:  After checking IMDb, I think the only thing I would have seen him (Billy Zane) in is Back to the Future, but it's been so long ago that I wouldn't remember him at all.

Edited by Starfish35
(edited)
53 minutes ago, Chaser said:

Billy Zane will always be The Phantom to me.

Val from Memphis Belle for me. Although, I always get a kick out of him showing up in ZoolanderIt's a walk-off

I've probably seen way too many things with Zane in them, Charmed, Tales from the Crypt, Only You and of course Tombstone

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2

I have a crazy amount of nostalgia for Only You, considering I was no older than 12 the one time I saw it. I should probably watch it again, so I can get the nostalgia out of my system and/or get amped for Spiderman: Homecoming. (I don't actually care about Spiderman, but I might still be a sucker for a potential RDJ/Marisa Tomei pairing.)

• Love 1
3 hours ago, bijoux said:

He has a very minor role in Back to the Future II as one of Alternate Timeline Biff's goons. It's either non-speaking or up to two lines.

I didn't see II but according to IMDb he was in the first one as well.  But it's been so many years since I saw that movie that I probably wouldn't remember him even if he'd had a larger role.  

From the link above:

complaining about a Nazi scientist dissecting a living woman

Wow, I don't remember this at all. 

(edited)
10 minutes ago, way2interested said:

Yeah, that was AoS 208 in a flashback when HYDRA/Whitehall found out about Skye's mom and then he used her organs to reverse his aging.

Ohhhh AoS!  Reading comprehension fail. :(   I was trying to remember a Flash episode where this happened.  But yes I remember that - that was pretty disgusting.

2 hours ago, RandomMe said:

I might still be a sucker for a potential RDJ/Marisa Tomei pairing.

Wait what is this?  I knew Tony and Pepper broke up in Civil War (haven't actually gotten around to watching that yet) but is he getting paired up with someone else?

ETA:  Never mind - I see she is playing  (a very young looking) Aunt May.  I really need to watch Civil War. *sigh*

Edited by Starfish35
5 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Wait what is this?  I knew Tony and Pepper broke up in Civil War (haven't actually gotten around to watching that yet) but is he getting paired up with someone else?

Oh, it's total faux-spec on my part. I know next to nothing about the movie, but I figure since Tony  Stark and Aunt May are both concerned with Peter's wellbeing (of sorts), surely they must have a scene or two together in the movie, which naturally will be fantastic because it's RDJ & MT (even if it's not RDJ/MT, per se).

• Love 1

Oh I remember that Wonder Woman pilot. What an absolute clusterfuck that was. I don't know who decided to cross Wonder Woman with both a shitty rom com and 24, but I REALLY hope they got fired. 

2 hours ago, RandomMe said:

I have a crazy amount of nostalgia for Only You, considering I was no older than 12 the one time I saw it. I should probably watch it again, so I can get the nostalgia out of my system and/or get amped for Spiderman: Homecoming. (I don't actually care about Spiderman, but I might still be a sucker for a potential RDJ/Marisa Tomei pairing.)

OMG! I can't believe I never put that together before. Wow, next time i watch Civil War that Aunt May/Tony Stark scene will have new levels.

• Love 3

Tvline counts down the actors who've starred in the most CW tv shows

1/9

cw-all-stars-grant-gustin.jpg?w=620

Arrow, The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow and Supergirl — all of which were preceded by his stint on 90210.

2/9

cw-all-stars-stephen-amell.jpg?w=620

Arrow, The Flash, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, TVD, 90210

4/9

cw-all-stars-nick-zano.jpg?w=620

Legends of Tomorrow, Arrow, 90210, Melrose Place and 7th Heaven.

5/9

cw-all-stars-peyton-list.jpg?w=620

Frequency, The Tomorrow People, Smallville, 90210, The Flash

6/9

cw-all-stars-chris-wood.jpg?w=620

Supergirl, The Flash, TVD, Containment, Carrie Diaries

8/9

cw-all-stars-katie-cassidy.jpg?w=620 

Arrow, The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, Melrose Place, Gossip Girl, Supernatural, Whose Line Is It Anyway.

http://tvline.com/2017/06/15/the-cw-most-used-actors-katie-cassidy-photos/

• Love 1

He was on the wb before it even became the cw,  to be fair.   Plus he's done shows like 2 Broke Girls and Happy Endings.   I think Nick might be one of those people who aren't the best actors but is attractive in addition to getting along with producers. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Kyle Anderson and Natalie Abrams handed out EW Radio's first annual "Supers Awards" yesterday (for the just completed seasons of Supergirl, Flash, LoT and Arrow)...

The First Annual "Supers Awards" 

WINNERS:
Best Long-Term Villain
- Prometheus (Arrow)
Best Villain of the Week - Gorilla Grodd (The Flash)
Best Fight - Final battle from 100th Episode (Arrow)
Best Sidekick - Cisco (The Flash
Best Couple - Alex and Maggie (Supergirl)
Best Hero Tandem - Mick Rory and Martin Stein (LoT)
Best Tech - Curtis' T-Spheres (Arrow)
Best Heroic Moment - Sara accepting Laurel's death in order to destroy the Spear of Destiny (LoT)
Best Cliffhanger - "Everyone dies?" (Arrow)
Best LoT Episode - Episode 16: Doomworld
Best Supergirl Episode - Episode 19: Alex
Best Flash Episode - Episode 16: Into the Speed Force
Best Arrow Episode - Episode 20: Underneath

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
47 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Yeah, the real verified Joss Whedon account is just "@joss".  But dude got Geoff Johns to respond.  Points.  

I'm glad because considering the reasons Zac Synder left the film I was feeling kind of ragey at the idea that Joss was bragging and being smug.

Ali Adler is stepping down as co-showrunner of Supergirl

The CW superhero drama series Supergirl is beefing up its showrunner ranks heading into its third season with the promotion of Jessica Queller and Robert Rovner to co-showrunners alongside co-creator Andrew Kreisberg.

The move follows the departure of co-creator/co-showrunner Ali Adler, who has signed an overall deal at CBS TV Studios. She will remain an executive consultant on the CW series.

Both Queller and Rovner joined the Warner Bros. TV-produced Supergirl midway through the first season as co-executive producer and consulting producer, respectively. Rovner was elevated to executive producer at the beginning of Season two. Queller is now also being promoted to executive producer, joining fellow exec producers Kreisberg, Greg Berlanti, Rovner and Sarah Schechter.

http://deadline.com/2017/06/supergirl-jessica-queller-robert-rovner-coshowrunners-cw-series-1202115025/

I can't delete a quote on my phone, sorry.

Woohoo we Got Lockjaw! The trailer looks good the one objection I have is that scene of Blackbolt? fighting cops. It looks corny but if it is Black bolt, maybe he whispered and, the cars went flying? 

Sadly, Medusa doesn't look any better on screen ?

The CW superhero drama series Supergirl is beefing up its showrunner ranks heading into its third season with the promotion of Jessica Queller and Robert Rovner to co-showrunners alongside co-creator Andrew Kreisberg.

I'm not surprised. It seemed that Adler was less involved with the show after the first half of the season and Queller and Rovner were doing the producer previews in the second half. 

• Love 1