Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

5 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Does anyone know if Shield will be getting renewed? I can't find much on their forum.

S4 has been my favourite so far but I recall reading somewhere that their ratings are really bad. 

TV Grim Reaper has it as a toss-up.  Right now it's at 65% of the network average.  Given that it's on its fourth season (so no syndication save), and that the ratings are only going to drop in the spring, I would bet on it not being renewed.  But I've been surprised before. :)

Crossover ratings - Final

• Supergirl 1.1 (0.2 increase) and 3.53 million viewers.
  • The Flash 1.5 (0.4 increase) and 4.15 million viewers.
  • Arrow 1.3 (0.6 increase) and 3.55 million viewers.
  • Legends of Tomorrow 1.2 (0.6 increase) and 3.39 million viewers.

Supergirl will not return until January, but it will be interesting to see whether any of the other three shows show any sort of a lift this week. 

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 4

Arrow probably had a 100 episode uptick as well. 

3 hours ago, statsgirl said:

It's interesting that Arrow out-performed both Supergirl and LoT.  I would have though LoT would do better than Arrow assuming people wanted to stick around to see the resolution of the Dominators.

Intentional? Coincidence? Or sloppy oversight? ...

Supergirl 202
Snapper Carr (to Kara): "You don't get a chair, Ponytail!"

LoT 207
Mick Rory (to Felicity): "Ponytail, you're staying on the ship."

• Love 1

It would have to be in 309 tonight, though, wouldn't it? I mean, I can't picture something like that happening in a midesason premiere even if it gets reversed in the same episode. Plus with all of the nudges in WestAllen's relationship and the EP's saying something happens in 309 that pushes 3b, I have to think this is what's happening tonight.

There's a Flash tie-in novel: The Haunting of Barry Allen. Posting it here because Oliver shows up (says so in the book description)

Spoiler

and Felicity too.

And the story from this one will apparently continue in an Arrow tie-in novel (coming out next year).

• Love 4

The Flash: The Haunting of Barry Allen by Susan & Clay Griffith - released Nov. 29, 2016:
https://www.amazon.com/Flash-Haunting-Barry-Susan-Griffith/dp/1785651412/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481042043&sr=8-1&keywords=the+haunting+of+barry+allen

An original novel by Clay Griffith & Susan Griffith based on the hit Warner Bros. series created by Greg Berlanti & Andrew Kreisberg & Geoff Johns 

Speeding through Central City, Barry Allen is met with a startling sight—the Flash, older, battered, and badly injured. Before he can speak, the doppelgänger is gone.

Then Barry begins experiencing glitches in his powers—moments that leave him ghostly and immobile in the middle of missions. When a group of his enemies—including Pied Piper, Weather Wizard, and Peekaboo—chooses this time to launch a new assault, the Flash seeks help from his most trusted ally.

Oliver Queen – the Arrow.

Arrow: A Generation of Vipers by Susan & Clay Griffith - to be released Mar. 28, 2017:
https://www.amazon.com/Arrow-Generation-Vipers-Susan-Griffith/dp/178329485X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481042670&sr=8-1&keywords=arrow+a+generation+of+vipers

The second original novel based on the hit Warner Bros. TV show Arrow and concluding the first crossover between The Flash and Arrow novels!

Continuing from the events of THE FLASH: THE HAUNTING OF BARRY ALLEN, team Arrow and team Flash seek to eliminate the bizarre energy that threatens to kill the Scarlet Speedster. Their quest takes them to Markovia, where they must get past an army of mercenaries and assassins to face the enigmatic Count Wallenstein.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

My fandoms collide!  I know Susan Griffith from an obscure Australian show called Tales of The South Seas which ended after one season.  She and Mary Whimsey wrote an entire second season, which was as good as the original. (I stayed up almost all night a while back re-reading the whole series.) She's also written a number of paranormal and vampire books.  

I have zero interest in reading about Barry Allen but I might buy those books because she's a good writer. 

35 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

So since Barry and Iris are now going to live in the redressed loft, I'm thinking we shall not be seeing it on Arrow again.  

Kind of makes me sad.  

Are we sure it's the same? Because the Flash ditched a few sets this season. They haven't been using the loft on Arrow? Wasn't it in the crossover?

Just watched Flash! Where is Felicity going to live now that Barry and Iris are moving in?

Kudos to Barry for getting them the loft and not squalling about manpain "I need to stay away from you to keep you safe" after seeing that vision of the future. 

Well done Barry!

• Love 3

Why does it not surprise me that The Flash appeals primarily to men and not so much to women and people 50+?

Show's not going to change though since they've hooked the important people.

(Interesting chart -- This Is US has women at twice the rate of men, and NCIS and Bull appeal primarily to the 50+ crowd.)

Overall Viewers = All People Watching

18-49 Demo = Number of People between 18-49 that watched

More people between 18-49 watch This is Us.  More people overall watched Bull but they are NOT in the 18-49 Demo.  It is well known that CBS skews over 50.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/help/updated-numbers-101-whats-a-tv-rating-and-who-is-it-dating/

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/help/whats-a-tv-rating-and-who-is-it-dating-2013-14-edition/

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

Do all showrunners go to the same TV writing school? Watching TV has been a déjà vu experience lately.

In Gotham's midseason finale, Jim Gordon killed his ex-girlfriend Lee's fiance. In Arrow's midseason finale, Oliver just killed Felicity's new boyfriend. (Though the circumstances were different.)  

In a recent Once Upon a Time episode, we got to see a version of what Emma's life would've been like if she had never been a Savior.  In a recent Arrow episode, we got to see a version of what Oliver's life would've been like if he had never become a vigilante. (Though neither version was realistic or in character, imo.)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, tv echo said:

Do all showrunners go to the same TV writing school? Watching TV has been a déjà vu experience lately.

In Gotham's midseason finale, Jim Gordon killed his ex-girlfriend Lee's fiance. In Arrow's midseason finale, Oliver just killed Felicity's new boyfriend. (Though the circumstances were different.)  

In a recent Once Upon a Time episode, we got to see a version of what Emma's life would've been like if she had never been a Savior.  In a recent Arrow episode, we got to see a version of what Oliver's life would've been like if he had never become a vigilante. (Though neither version was realistic or in character, imo.)

Most genre shows are built on tropes and they'll keep beating the dead horse over the same tropes over and over again and more often then not tv shows are built around the same tropes. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Last Time Lord said:

So... exactly what her role on Arrow currently is, then?

Yup! I'm just saying she can't just be the resident hacker of the team. Because her hacking will be more than useless when they go way back or way forward in time. The only issue is that the team already has a leader. So IDK if that would work out well. 

• Love 2

Forward in time I think she can still hack.

And she can do all the general snooping around spy stuff that she gets up to sometimes.

They manage to get Stein and Jax on missions where they aren't firestorm so I'm sure it could work.

Remember the zombie episode when Stein and Ray were dealing with Mick zombie. Don't really need to fight in stuff like that. 

Or they could just arm her with a tranquilizer gun like Chuck. 

Eta: I don't think screentime would be an issue on LoT. They usually have them interacting in smaller groups and they all seem to have a good amount of screentime to me.

On Arrow you have Oliver taking up 20 mins or more and the damn flashbacks. That leaves 20 min for Dig, Lance, Thea, Boobs, whatever random new character they are introducing and Felicity.

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 2

Honestly I'm not seeing the love for Felicity on LoT other than the fact that she pushed the button and watched over them during the big fight. Like, she got to do her thing, make some jokes, and even help Cisco save part of the team, but to me she didn't do anything too much further than what she would get in a standard episode of Arrow. Make jokes? She's done that in s5. Excel in her field? Yes, a bunch of time it's shared with Curtis, but we just got in 509 the idea that she was the only one who knew how to work the DNA sequencer, her still doing her thing on comms, and she was essentially the one who figured out that Prometheus is allegedly Claybourne's son. Have character moments with other characters? She had a better heart-to-heart moment essentially with Oliver in 502 and even got to express her own feelings with Rory in 503 (yes, it could have/should have been more, but it was still there nonetheless).

I mean, it's nice that Felicity got to do stuff in LoT, but I saw her as more supporting for Cisco rather than doing anything that screams to me that LoT does her character better than Arrow. She didn't even have a role in going on the Waverider, she just wanted to travel through time. It wasn't her idea to save the team, it was Cisco's. She didn't get/make the devices, Stein, Catilin, and his daughter did and she monitored it (which I'll admit is something along with her regular role that LoT showed to be pretty much only her thing). So while she got a bit more screen time and was actually doing/saying stuff with it, to me it doesn't automatically really beat with what goes on in Arrow, despite what's going on with s5.

• Love 9

I feel like she's already been shafted on her own show. They killed her semi offscreen boyfriend to give Oliver man pain and had one shot of her crying while he wailed about his man pain. Meanwhile Curtis got waaaay too many scenes with his relationship drama. 

The other episodes we don't even get a shot of her face when Oliver goes out on a date. 

Obviously this is all fantasy and we all know she's not going anywhere. 

• Love 1

Any actor with a longstanding regular contract with one show being shifted to a different show = demotion in billing, and loss of billing perks. Specifically to Arrow actors, it also means saying, "well, I'm good with these sweet brand new syndication residuals I'm getting from TNT for S1-S5, but what they hey, I don't want to win their monies for S6-S7. What I have now is totally enough." Why would any actor want that? Why would their managers and agents?

• Love 10

I feel like there's this huge disconnect where people feel like the actors are dying inside as much as fans when things don't go the way they're expecting. And, hey, maybe that's true in some cases. But I'm sure whatever qualms they may have are gone the minute they take a good look at their paycheck.

What I'm saying is, I'm not expecting a Kevin in This is Us - style crisis by any of these people, haha.

• Love 14

Yeah, pretty much. If I ruled the Universe, Felicity would be in like 30 different TV shows every week because I love her. And I understand the logic behind: Arrow is annoying me ----> Felicity is my fave ----> LOT isn't annoying me ----> Hey, what if Felicity was on LOT instead?

If Felicity was on LOT instead it means EBR would go from being paid as a regular for 23 episodes per season on a 5 year show [and all the perks and bonuses that come with that] to being paid for 16-17 episodes on a 2 year show. It's a pretty huge demotion.

• Love 14

This was a joke, guys.  It started as a joking comment I made over in the episode thread, responding to the comment someone made about pairing Felicity up with Mick or Sara.  I think we all know Felicity isn't going anywhere, for a multitude of reasons.

• Love 3

I had only watched the premiere episode and the crossover episode of The Flash this season, but I have been reading comments here about how female characters have been badly treated on that show. So I watched the Flash's midseason finale. You guys weren't kidding...

• Team Flash tech support - Cisco seemed to be the one to do everything and figure out everything and have his own storyline, while Caitlin was there to say a few lines and support Cisco.  
  • Two West children - Wally got his own hero journey and storyline, while Iris was there to support both him and Barry, and also be Barry's DID.
  • Love 3

Since LoT will be moving to Tuesdays at 9pm (right after The Flash) when the DCTV shows return on January 24th, I think that LoT will probably start beating Arrow regularly in 2017.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2