Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

56 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I enjoyed Kara having a female boss. It's a different dynamic than a male boss. I appreciated that Cat, whilst being an asshole much of the time, did IMO try to guide Kara in a way that would help her succeed.  Too often I see female boss/female subordinate relationships portrayed as being a completely contentious with no redeeming value where the boss is threatened by the other woman, or on the opposite end of the spectrum, too much like mother/daughter or sisters.  I don't care for either of those portrayals so for me Cat and Kara was a nice change of pace. 

Patty and Ellen on Damages are my favorite f/f boss/employee relationship. So twisted, but there was some genuine affection there.

• Love 2
(edited)

I just hope they won't go changing any established character's sexuality to be trendy. And by any I mean Alex because it's never ever done with guys, reinforcing this stupid and pervasive stereotype that "all women are bi" (seriously, I've had it mansplained to me more than once).

Sorry if I sound bitter or insensitive. I'm glad SG is committed to having different and powerful in their own right female characters.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1
(edited)

The kid Flash suit definitely looks better in the promo pics. There it looks like he cut some material out with kid scissors. LOL. Hope it comes across better in the episode.

Who is the actor in the dark suit?

Edited by Guest

In that close up, the first thing that comes to mind (after how silly it all looks) is "Up In The Air Junior Birdman".   And now I can't get the stupid song out of my head.  Argh.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, foreverevolving said:

Do we know who it is behind the "Darth Flash" mask?

I'm going to guess Tom Felton's character. It sorta looks like his smile.

The Emmy's are pretty much the same show every year The same people win until their show ends and another show takes their spot to win every year. Although I am happy that Tatiana Maslany grabbed a spot even though she won't win because she's not on the must win list. 

• Love 2

Less love for comic book shows in general this year -- and of course, only in the technical categories. Last year there were 10 nominations among 6 comic book shows; this year it's 9 among 4.

Daredevil -- 2

Gotham -- 3

Jessica Jones -- 2

The Walking Dead -- 2

• Love 1

SA's workout versus GG's workout...

Arrow Star Stephen Amell Shares Workout For Fitness Friday, Adds Protein To Healthy Diet
Dylan Gonzalez, BA | Saturday, July 16, 2016
http://www.foods4betterhealth.com/arrow-star-stephen-amell-fitness-friday-adds-protein-to-healthy-diet-15478

The Flash Star Grant Gustin Talks Workouts And Coffee, Workout Different From Stephen Amell’s
Emily Lunardo | Monday, July 18, 2016 
http://www.foods4betterhealth.com/the-flash-star-grant-gustin-talks-workouts-and-coffee-workout-different-from-stephen-amells-15506

'Arrow,' 'The Flash,' 'Legends' and 'Supergirl': Ranking All the Crossovers So Far
 9:00 AM 7/17/2016 by Sydney Bucksbaum
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/arrow-flash-legends-supergirl-ranking-911270

24. 'Vixen' – Season 1
23. 'The Flash' – "Power Outage"
22. 'Arrow' – "Beacon of Hope"
21. 'Arrow' – "Broken Arrow"
20. 'Legends of Tomorrow' – "Left Behind"
19. 'Legends of Tomorrow' – "Last Refuge"
18. 'Arrow' – "Taken"
17. 'Legends of Tomorrow' – "Legendary"
16. 'The Flash' – "King Shark"
15. 'The Flash' – "Who Is Harrison Wells?"
14. 'The Flash' – "All Star Team Up"
13. 'The Flash' – "Pilot"
12. 'The Flash' – "Going Rogue"
11. 'Legends of Tomorrow' – "Pilot, Part 1," "Pilot, Part 2"
10. 'Legends of Tomorrow' – "Star City 2046"
9. 'The Flash' – "Invincible"
8. 'Arrow' – "Haunted"
7. 'The Flash' – "Rogue Air"
6. 'Arrow' – "My Name is Oliver Queen"
5. 'Arrow' – "Green Arrow," "Canary Cry"
4. 'The Flash,' 'Arrow' – "Legends of Today," "Legends of Yesterday"
3. 'The Flash' – "Flash vs. Arrow"
2. 'Supergirl' – "World's Finest"
1. 'Arrow' – "The Scientist"

1 hour ago, tv echo said:

SA's workout versus GG's workout...

Arrow Star Stephen Amell Shares Workout For Fitness Friday, Adds Protein To Healthy Diet
Dylan Gonzalez, BA | Saturday, July 16, 2016
http://www.foods4betterhealth.com/arrow-star-stephen-amell-fitness-friday-adds-protein-to-healthy-diet-15478

From the article:

Dylan Gonzalez, BA | Saturday, July 16, 2016 | Food News

Amell also stops drinking alcohol when he wants to get in the best physical condition.

I guess the ambition for best physical shape stopped on July 17. :D I'm not nagging, I just found it funny.

• Love 4

Is this a reliable source? I don't remember this site. The thing I find most suspect is the abundance of multi-show contracts. I imagine the network would want to see how that goes with WM and JB before turning it into standard practice. Also, why the hell would JWS get one? From what I gather, Jay Garrick is closely tied to Flash.

Those rumours sound like someone got their hands in the superhero candy bowl and now wants to consume more than is good for them.  Why would Supergirl need all those Batman characters when she's got enough with Martian Manhunter and the evil govt agency to go on with?

2 hours ago, bijoux said:

From the article:

I guess the ambition for best physical shape stopped on July 17. :D I'm not nagging, I just found it funny.

Well he did finish shooting the first two episodes.  Isn't that what he was talking about having to get back in shape for?

More seriously, I'm glad he can stop drinking when he wants.  The clips of him at Nocking Point parties and other times make me worried that he gets really wasted more often than a guy his age should be.

I wouldn't be opposed to Oracle showing up if it's done right.   I think Stephanie Brown would have been a better choice of it is true.   I also wouldn't mind if they explored something similar to the Oracle/Power Girl relationship of failed missions and not getting along but still respecting of each other. 

• Love 1

I can see where the Batwoman thing comes from - Wikipedia tells me she was one of Maggie Sawyer's girlfriends in the comics.

I can't see the rest though.  Although in some ways my petty side would like the Oracle/Batwoman thing to be true, because it would be another tacit admission that Laurel was a complete failure as a character.

I think that the was part of the reason for the move to the CW though.   Because it's airing on the warner brothers channel instead of CBS the licensing fees are much less. 

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Delphi said:

I think that the was part of the reason for the move to the CW though.   Because it's airing on the warner brothers channel instead of CBS the licensing fees are much less. 

CW is a joint venture with CBS and WB so I'm not sure how that would work out to be honest. 

17 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

CW is a joint venture with CBS and WB so I'm not sure how that would work out to be honest. 

Oh,  I don't have any firsthand knowledge.   That was just the information I got from the much more knowledgeable than me folks on the supergirl forum when we were first discussing the potential of the network switch. 

11 minutes ago, Delphi said:

Oh,  I don't have any firsthand knowledge.   That was just the information I got from the much more knowledgeable than me folks on the supergirl forum when we were first discussing the potential of the network switch. 

I'm not an expert and i don't have any inside knowledge.  All i know is that Supergirl was offered to The CW first and they passed on it, in part because of how expensive it was (i.e. licensing fee).  Berlanti then shopped it around and CBS picked up the pilot.  As such, I don't think being on The CW automatically means the licensing fee would be cheaper. 

I do think WB picked up a lot more costs in order to keep Supergirl on the air. I believe I read somewhere that CBS/WB were negotiating to keep Supergirl on CBS but, ultimately CBS passed. That being said, I have no idea what deal WB ended up making with CW for them to pick the show up. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, looptab said:

Why? What would be wrong with Oracl e appearing on Supergirl?

I have no Idea about licensing and whether a good fit for SG or not, but If they keep Oracle paralyzed on the show. There was a talented wheelchair bound actress on the Glee feeder reality show from a few seasons back that might be a nice addition. It would be nice to see them cast someone actually In a WC. She was just recently on the Tonys during Spring Awakening. They seem fond of casting Glee alums and that was how they found MBs now husband and he was good on the show.

(edited)

One person's opinion (personally, I think the first Arrow/Flash crossovers, 308/108, were the best)...

The 8 Greatest Superhero TV Crossovers Of All Time
Christian Bone   July 18, 2016
http://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/8-greatest-superhero-tv-crossovers/

3) Arrow’s Advice – The Flash
. . .
Arrow has now got to be one of the most successful series in history in terms of starting a wide connected universe of shows. Before it got to that stage, though, it had to help its first spinoff The Flash stand on its own two feet. How could that be done? By having Stephen Amell’s Arrow appear in the show’s pilot episode.

Having just received his speed powers, Barry Allen turns to his old friend Oliver Queen for help. Oliver inspires Barry to be something more than a vigilante; a hero who can save the helpless “in a flash.” The pair then admire each other’s “cool” ways of disappearing.

It’s a low-key scene in the wider world of superhero crossovers, but this first meeting of the characters in their superhero identities meant a lot at the time. The Arrowverse had just begun – but it would soon expand very quickly.
2) Creating The Legends – Arrow/The Flash
. . .
By the following season, Arrow and The Flash were both running smoothly, so it was time to use them both to launch another DC series, Legends of Tomorrow. The amount of screen time it took for both shows to introduce Legends’ ensemble cast was a bit excessive, but the crossover two-parter which basically acted as a backdoor pilot was thankfully terrific.

With immortal villain Vandal Savage on the loose, Green Arrow and The Flash join forces once again – but this time Black Canary, Speedy, Spartan and Hawkgirl and Hawkman get in on the game, as well. Not to mention Malcolm Merlyn (though whose side is he really on?).

As well as all these costumed sorts fighting together, the episodes “Legends of Today” and “Legends of Yesterday” have a very fluid narrative. Two-part crossovers like this can often feel disjointed, but the inclusiveness of the Arrowverse means that both episodes feel like part of the same show.

8) Green Hornet Comes To Gotham – Batman
7) The Hulk Meets Daredevil And Thor – The Incredible Hulk
6) X-pert Advice – Spider-Man: The Animated Series
5) World’s Finest – Superman: The Animated Series
4) Young Justice League – Smallville
3) Arrow’s Advice – The Flash
2) Creating The Legends – Arrow/The Flash
1) The Flash From Another World – Supergirl

Edited by tv echo

Has this been posted already and I missed it?  This is from back in March, but apparently Hulu has acquired exclusive streaming rights to Smallville (among other WB titles) and apparently all ten seasons will become available sometime this year. 

http://variety.com/2016/digital/news/blindspot-lucifer-hulu-warner-bros-1201738288/

This is of interest to me because I've never seen the last four seasons, but in recent years I've thought I might like to see them if they ever got put up on one of the streaming sites (I wasn't going to pay for them).  

It would be nice if they'd have gotten the rights to Lois & Clark as well - I'd like to watch that series again - but I don't see it mentioned in the article. 

2 minutes ago, Trini said:

Having to put so many of the Legends characters on these makes them so awkward....

It's awkward when they're there, and awkward when some of them aren't there, isn't it?  (Sorry, Rip and Stein! I like you, if the CW doesn't!)

I completely understand that part of the selling point is the whole FOUR! DC! SHOWS! PER! WEEK! but trying to squeeze the ensemble show in there with the three shows with clear leads doesn't seem to be entirely working from a design perspective.

• Love 9