Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

7 hours ago, kismet said:

How hard is it to cast a Superman? Find a tall attractive male with an athletic physique and dark hair. I can't imagine those are hard to come by in Vancouver. I could probably get you a list by the end of the night. It's 2 episodes, with perhaps some more recurring parts. In my lifetime, I have known at least 4 Supermans, it's not that hard of a role to cast for a guest bit.

I imagine it's going to be vert difficult to cast the character. Not because of the acting requirements, although i do think you need a very good actor to get the character over the hump (bland, boy scout,  mesiah figure.. Superman is harder to portray properly than Clark Kent, IMO).  However, the bigger casting problem is the expectation. Not only just the audience but, the media and Execs.  This is a tricky part because there's already a Superman currently out there.  Yeah the Berlantiverse and DCEU are not connected, I know that, you know that.  However there are probably many general audience members  (non online viewers) that probably don't know that.

So yeah, i do think that online fan expectation is high. That casting a TV Superman and setting this story up that doesn't confuse the crap out of the general audience is going to be important. There's also the expectation surrounding a casting such an iconic character.

• Love 3

I'd be okay with Brandon,  just because of the meta jokes they could work in.   "Aren't you that famous inventor from Starling City?  "No,  but I get that a lot. " or vice versa.   I'm easy like that. 

I'm also one of the people that would love Matthew Bomer.   Because,  I'm shallow like that. 

But I don't think a two episode appearance would do anything other than fix some of the obvious issues of why the hell Clark is completely absent from Kara's life.   And it could even lead to some potentially interesting storylines for Kara through the season if Clark is a living character whose ideals and reputation are actually something she has to live up to. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I imagine it's going to be vert difficult to cast the character. Not because of the acting requirements, although i do think you need a very good actor to get the character over the hump (bland, boy scout,  mesiah figure.. Superman is harder to portray properly than Clark Kent, IMO).  However, the bigger casting problem is the expectation. Not only just the audience but, the media and Execs.  This is a tricky part because there's already a Superman currently out there.  Yeah the Berlantiverse and DCEU are not connected, I know that, you know that.  However there are probably many general audience members  (non online viewers) that probably don't know that.

So yeah, i do think that online fan expectation is high. That casting a TV Superman and setting this story up that doesn't confuse the crap out of the general audience is going to be important. There's also the expectation surrounding a casting such an iconic character.

I personally think the casting is the easy part. It's the writing that is the hard part. Any charismatic actor can get the charm of Superman & Clark Kent. But then again, I've never found Superman to be layered. A straight up Hero with superpowers, boyish good looks, a loving adoptive family and a good cover for his identity. Every good looking male has probably acted out or trained for this role before. It's just the boy-next door with superpowers and not even the kind you need to work out for.

I do get the expectations are high. I do get that casting is important. But I think its going to come down to writing. And I think throwing in a pre-existing face of Superman/CK, like either BR or TW is only going to make their job of not confusing people a million times more difficult. 

• Love 1

Thinking more about it. I'm annoyed that she's going to go by Vixen... WoCs aren't replaceable -_- At least call her something different. This is why I was annoyed with LL taking over the Canary character like Sara was replaceable somehow...

(edited)
2 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

That is weird.  I wonder if this is the same character that they had a casting call for earlier?

That's what I'm wondering too. We have a huge cast but at the same time, I would love 3 female characters. 

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 1
(edited)

I just don't understand the need to have Vixen as a regular if Megalyn isn't available... At least they could've come up with a different comic character that doesn't have the same name as "Vixen". Find another magical hero...

Hope this works out for the LoT fans though

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 2
(edited)

Three female characters would be great! If it's in addition to what was already announced I'm all for it.  However, if this is the character in the casting call, I admit to being disappointed, because I was hoping that one was going to be Lady Blackhawk, instead of a different version of a character we've already seen.  

10 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

I just don't understand the need to have Vixen as a regular if Megalyn isn't available... At least they could've come up with a different character

And this is also a good point.  But I admit to not being Vixen's greatest fan - the mystical animal powers thing has never really appealed to me.  And honestly, while I've never been a fan of the magical element, after this last season of Arrow my preference is even stronger that LoT stay as far away from it as possible. 

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Wait, though. They already have Vixen...Megalyn Echikunwoke was in Taken.  Are they dumping her from the role?

They article linked explains that she can't commit to filming next season.

19 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

Thinking more about it. I'm annoyed that she's going to go by Vixen... WoCs aren't replaceable -_- At least call her something different. This is why I was annoyed with LL taking over the Canary character like Sara was replaceable somehow...

Isn't the whole aspect of the character that they inherit their power/totem and that it's passed down generation to generation within the tribe? 

I'm guessing this is the WOC character from WW2?

• Love 3
Just now, Morrigan2575 said:

Isn't the whole aspect of the character that they inherit their power/totem and that it's passed down generation to generation within the tribe? 

Well hopefully she's done justice and the casting is spot on!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, wonderwall said:

This is weird... But hopefully they cast the role for Vixen well... Also hopefully she's a PoC

DC's Legends of Tomorrow Recruits Vixen... With a Twist!
http://www.tvinsider.com/article/90519/dcs-legends-of-tomorrow-recruits-vixen-with-a-twist/

Actually it's not that odd. I'm almost positive that both Vixen and Darhk referenced that previous members of her family have owned and used that totem. So the character will probably be Vixen's grandmother or grand aunt or something and we meet her in the way past (something I was also kind of hoping for).

44 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I'd say it depends on if she is a regular or not. We could still get Lady Blackhawk from WW2 and meet an even earlier version of Vixen for a three or four episode arc.

• Love 3

Both the WoC from WW2 and the Vixen Character are supposed to be Series Regular roles...so it's a safe bet that they're the same role.

Also being cast for Legends Season 2 is the female member of an elite paramilitary team living in the 1940s, TVLine continued. "An African-American, she is scrutinized in her time for both her gender and race and thus has worked twice as hard to be a perfect soldier. That said, she blames herself for — and aims to avenge — the death of a team member for whom she had repressed feelings."

http://www.newsarama.com/29121-report-legends-of-tomorrow-casting-for-han-solo-like-legacy-hero-ww2-era-african-american-soldier.html

2 hours ago, wonderwall said:

I just don't understand the need to have Vixen as a regular if Megalyn isn't available... At least they could've come up with a different comic character that doesn't have the same name as "Vixen". Find another magical hero...

Hope this works out for the LoT fans though

Thinking the same thing. We've spent like 2 seconds with Megalyns Vixen so bringing in another is not that exciting for me. They have so many characters at their disposal that they could update and make their own instead of doing this.

Naya can play a good bitch... I'm not sure whether this role will be good for her, but I did like how she played Santana on Glee (don't judge me for watching it lol). Also she has a pretty big following (she has more followers than SA AND GG) so it'd be smart casting to help ratings.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

Naya can play a good bitch... I'm not sure whether this role will be good for her, but I did like how she played Santana on Glee (don't judge me for watching it lol). Also she has a pretty big following (she has more followers than SA AND GG) so it'd be smart casting to help ratings.

If it is her, they need to give her some good one liners, Naya KILLS those. 

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

I only sporadically watched glee but Santana was my favorite..

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, foreverevolving said:

I only sporadically watched glee but Santana was my favorite..

She can play the tough girl REALLY well. I'm not sure how nuanced she is but with everything I'm hearing about LoT, I might give season 2 a shot

Ohh, I love Naya! I've been hoping they'd cast her as something in the flarrowverse. She's hysterical, and can carry the dramatic scenes. Also, she'd make a great addition for Flarrowverse: the Musical.

• Love 4
(edited)
28 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

At least we are all able to share 1 fave.

whoa there... Let's not get too ahead of ourselves lol :p

ETA: Just a joke :p I understand sometimes jokes don't translate well online 

Edited by wonderwall

I'd be excited to see Naya join the cast. She is able to stand out in group & blend when needed, which is good for LoT. And I think she does have emotional range & depth. And no shame from me, I still think Glee was a good show, with a few wonky episodes & a little stumble after Cory's death which is to be expected.

Not sure if her ethnicity would fit Vixen's current blend, but I'm sure they could work it out somehow.

I will say though, if they keep casting musically talented actors and refuse to give us a musical themed episode - I might have to start getting out my protesting pitchfork. It's just too much teasing at this point, the whole Flarrowverse is overflowing with musical talent.

• Love 2

Maybe she could be unrelated but have stumbled on the necklace.  Naya would be  great. Probably zero stunt training but at least we know she's good with learning choreography.

• Love 1
(edited)

Now I'll be really disappointed if they don't cast her.

The Flarrowverse, home of the Glee kids :) I just went and watched Grant and Naya's Smooth Criminal. I demand a similar scene. :D

Edited by looptab
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, FurryFury said:

Smooth Criminal was AWESOME. Not a huge Glee fan (and definitely not a Santana fan), but I wouldn't mind this casting.

I was a huge Glee fan for the first three seasons. In the end I stopped watching mid S5, and never watched S6. I pretend the show ended after S3. I really liked Santana - there were low points, but there were with pretty much every character, so. The thing I hated the most was seeing them butcher her friendship with Rachel, when seeing that develop was one of the only saving graces of s4, IMO.

(edited)

Her last real words to Kurt were soooo vicious but soooo entertaining. I love me a good Santana Slam. 

9 hours ago, kismet said:

Not sure if her ethnicity would fit Vixen's current blend, but I'm sure they could work it out somehow.

She is one of those actresses that can play some different ethnicity's so I think they wouldn't have a problem believably connecting her to Mari's family lineage.    

Edited by Primal Slayer
26 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

She is one of those actresses that can play some different ethnicity's so I think they wouldn't have a problem believably connecting her to Mari's family lineage.    

I'm not a fan of/comfortable with people playing different ethnicities from their own. A Latina woman isn't a black woman and they aren't interchangeable just because their skin color is similar. So I truly hope this isn't the case. 

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

Her last real words to Kurt were soooo vicious but soooo entertaining. I love me a good Santana Slam. 

What did she say? I gave up on Glee season three-ish, I think.

(edited)
4 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

I'm not a fan of/comfortable with people playing different ethnicities from their own. A Latina woman isn't a black woman and they aren't interchangeable just because their skin color is similar. So I truly hope this isn't the case. 

Except Naya is partially black. She isn't a full Latina and has spent her early acting career playing African american characters

3 minutes ago, bijoux said:

What did she say? I gave up on Glee season three-ish, I think.

Edited by Primal Slayer
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

Except Naya is partially black. She isn't a full Latina and has spent her early acting career playing African american characters

Ohhhhhh I thought she was full latina... Just googled her ethnicity apparently she's 1/2 Latina 1/4 German 1/4 Black

I loved Glee in S1 and S2. I even went to their concert when they were in Chicago. That show fell off well before Cory Monteith's passing. I don't even think I finished watching it. 

Naya Rivera could work as an ancestor since Megalyn Echikunwoke is half black. I've only seen Naya play Santana so hopefully she's not another KC and can only play on type of character. Having Glee alums on 3 out of the 4 DCTV shows would be fun. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

The only Lena Luthor I know is when she was named Tess on Smallville, played by Cassidy Freeman. 

I LOVED Tess. I would be pretty happy if Cassidy Freeman came back to reprise that role. And whilst we're at it please bring back Michael Rosenbaum. He's my favorite Lex Luthor EVER. In fact...let's just have a Smallville reunion. I'd be quite happy about that.

• Love 2

They won't get Lex since he's currently a long haired weirdo in the movies. 

Cassidy Freeman played a perfect Tess "Lena" Luthor. She was definitely someone I saw as Lex's sister. Whoever they cast will pull off being powerful and not just a glorified mean girl.  Speaking of that type of character are they losing Calista Flockhart? 

I guess I like Naya Rivera, but....I'll throw this out there as an unpopular opinion, but I loathed Santana on Glee. She was entertaining at first but then quickly spiraled into an unlikeable territory for me. I was not amused by her bitch rants and the only times I liked her were with Brittany. Although, then again, I'm also the one who ended up hating Blaine early into season 3 and was actively rooting against Kurt getting back together with him. 

So if Naya does get cast as Vixen, I'm hoping she's vastly different from her Santana role. She does have points above CR at the moment for being a better actress on-screen, but I worry about her likeability for me. 

Also...I will say that if she gets cast, I hope she interacts with Grant a couple of times in the crossover, because I did actually like their chemistry in their one episode on Glee. 

• Love 3